Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
Sky has a trailer up for Going Postal:

http://sky1.sky.com/going-postal-about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

SaintFu posted:

Man, that trailer is loving brilliant. Going Postal always had that 'grand caper' sensibility about it, and that trailer really (for me at least) captures the spirit of things.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

And with a bit of luck the guy playing Vetinari won't be nearly as effete as Jeremy Irons was.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

SaintFu posted:

Awesome! I just finished reading Making Money, and am ready for more von Lipwick.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

SaintFu posted:

They've got Groat down perfectly.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Dead Alice posted:

And with a bit of luck the guy playing Vetinari won't be nearly as effete as Jeremy Irons was.

No worries, Charles Dance is the man. (Seriously, if you've ever seen the BBC adaptation of Bleak House you'll know just how well he can play a manipulative, scheming, terrifying bastard.)

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

the trailer looks good. BUt the golems look...weird. But im still hoping for Terry Gilliam's "Good Omens".
Comedy option: "Small gods" by Mel gibson.I trully want this to happen.
And i LOVE "small gods"

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That is one awesome trailer. And holy poo poo it's Manuel from Fawlty Towers as Groat :monocle:

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Dead Alice posted:

I thought they had Vetinari down perfectly last time. He sounded exactly like Terry Pratchett himself.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Awesome! I just finished reading Making Money, and am ready for more von Lipwick.

More what? :colbert:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

SeanBeansShako posted:

When is that coming out on SKY?

Also, anyone vaguely read his earlier non Discworld novels? I can scaresly remember the Carpet People.

The Johnny Maxwell books are amazing. Johnny and the Bomb might just be my favorite non-Discworld book he's written.

They're very British, though. There's a lot of references to things that will be very familiar to brits but might be a bit esoterical to anyone else.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Masonity posted:

I thought they had Vetinari down perfectly last time. He sounded exactly like Terry Pratchett himself.

Agreed. I didn't like Colour of Magic that much. Partly because of the actors (why the hell cast Rincewind as an old dude? Paul Kidby's depiction of Rincewind being an almost Shaggy-like character fitted so much better with the image I had in my head:

)
and partly because the two first books just isn't that great, compared to his latter works. But Jeremy Irons was almost the best part of the movie. He even had Wuffles!

I have big hopes for Going Postal. It was the Discworld book that reintroduced me to the universe, a couple of years ago, and I just like Moist.

(I hope Sky is going to make Guards! Guards! next. Oh, to see Vimes on TV:swoon:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I want Guards! Guards! next too. And Men At Arms in a few years afterwards.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Moist von Lipwig posted:

More what? :colbert:

Lipbig

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Iacen posted:

why the hell cast Rincewind as an old dude? Paul Kidby's depiction of Rincewind being an almost Shaggy-like character fitted so much better with the image I had in my head
Josh Kirby drew him as an old guy on the original covers but I know what you mean. I still imagine Rincewind as a young ginger haired bloke with the voice of Eric Idle because the first exposure I had to Discworld was with the PC game.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

BELL END posted:

Josh Kirby drew him as an old guy on the original covers but I know what you mean. I still imagine Rincewind as a young ginger haired bloke with the voice of Eric Idle because the first exposure I had to Discworld was with the PC game.

Same here, Pratchett even intends him to be young as he is the magical version a community college drop out in his early twenties at the start of it all.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

SaintFu posted:

That was a cracking trailer. The only problem now is, the trailer goes against how I've always imagined the Golems to look like, even though the books almost directly say it as such, I've always seen them in my own little way. :(

I've just finished re-reading Jingo for what feels like the seventh time at least. I love this book.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Jingo is one of my very favourite books and I don't know why.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I love almost everything in Jingo except for Colon and Nobby and Vetinari doing their transvestite act in Klatch. That just felt so terribly by-the-numbers and cringeworthy.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Nilbop posted:

Jingo is one of my very favourite books and I don't know why.

It's one of my very favorite books as well and it's because Vetinari rules so hard through the entire thing while Vimes solves a decently complex mystery and gets told he is awesome at the end.

Also the part where he is on the boat never fails to crack me up. "Okay, I think we're close enough. Stop here."

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Jingo also has the only good appearances/use of the Dis-organizer in the several books it turns up in, with the alternate-timeline stuff being surprisingly powerful.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I always had a soft spot for the Dis-organizer. Probably mostly because I went through most of the Watch series on audiobook and Stephen Briggs is really good at capturing Vimes' exasperation at it.

Bingely-bingely-beep!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

John Charity Spring posted:

I love almost everything in Jingo except for Colon and Nobby and Vetinari doing their transvestite act in Klatch. That just felt so terribly by-the-numbers and cringeworthy.

The rest of their shenanigans are quite good, though, especially Leonard. Jingo's really the book that made his character.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Same here, Pratchett even intends him to be young as he is the magical version a community college drop out in his early twenties at the start of it all.
He even wears a fake beard to try and look like the professors. But just look at him on the cover of UA. That picture captures him perfectly for me (actually most of the characters shown are very much how I imagined them to look.)

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Even though I love the covers Josh Kirby did, Paul Kidby's drawings really captures the characters I've got in my head.
Speaking of which; have any of you read The Art of Discworld? Lots of illustrations and sketches from Kidby, some of them commented by Pratchett himself. You should get it, it's great!

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Art of Discworld is incredible. It really captures the imagery of DW and even fleshes out some of the characters. For example, Nanny and a certain wandering young genius artist had a fling many, many years ago...

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Mister Roboto posted:

Art of Discworld is incredible. It really captures the imagery of DW and even fleshes out some of the characters. For example, Nanny and a certain wandering young genius artist had a fling many, many years ago...

Wow, that bit from Carpe Jugulum never really clicked with me until you mentioned it there, despite the fact in one of the books they mention a painting he did called the Mona Ogg.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Wow, that bit from Carpe Jugulum never really clicked with me until you mentioned it there, despite the fact in one of the books they mention a painting he did called the Mona Ogg.

If I recall correctly the Mona Ogg is in the Art of Discworld. I believe there's a hedgehog in it.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

John Charity Spring posted:

I liked that part because it felt like Vetinari was really enjoying himself there. It seems to me that before they went to Leshp he was quite troubled that this time he might not actually be able to solve the situation "Ventinari Style" and I'd come to bloodshed, and after Leshp some weight was lifted off of him.

Edit:
'Donkey, minaret,' said Lord Vetinari. 'Minaret, donkey.'

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 7, 2010

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I quite believe it is in character for him as he simply fixes a problem with what sees as an obvious solution.

I also love it when Vimes tears Rust a new one.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

GhostDog posted:

I liked that part because it felt like Vetinari was really enjoying himself there. It seems to me that before they went to Leshp he was quite troubled that this time he might not actually be able to solve the situation "Ventinari Style" and I'd come to bloodshed, and after Leshp some weight was lifted off of him.

Edit:
'Donkey, minaret,' said Lord Vetinari. 'Minaret, donkey.'

It's a pity that poster from earlier in the thread with the Vet username was banned, he would've had a chance for some comedy right now.

You're spot on about Vetinari being troubled in Jingo--the conversations with Leonard indicate he is considering using bombs to stop Klatch, which is why he's going through the inventor's notes.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

I want Guards! Guards! next too. And Men At Arms in a few years afterwards.

Me too. Who would make a good Vimes? Is Tony Robinson too old to play Nobby?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

bitterandtwisted posted:

Me too. Who would make a good Vimes? Is Tony Robinson too old to play Nobby?

Alas, he is. Who voiced him in Discworld Noir, he was pretty much my version of Nobby these days.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

ibroxmassive posted:

Vimes will always be Philip Glenister to me.

Which is strange, because I think his brother would be a brilliant Fred Colon as well.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
I would love to see Stephen Briggs as Vimes, but it's a good role for a big name to draw in more watchers. However Briggs has the character nailed, and if you are ever in a position to go to his Discworld play then it's worth it just to see him in that role.

I was looking at my discworld shelf the other night and wondering if the book releases in the US are accompanied as they normally are in the UK with random additional discworld items? Such as the maps, Nanny Oggs cook book (which I am going to cook dinner from on Saturday), I seem to have nearly as much discworld related chaff as I do actual novels.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

This thread just inspired me to get the five witches novels that I missed. Wyrd sisters, Witches Abroad, Mascarade, Lords and Ladies and Carpe Jugulum.
Hopefully they are better than Sourcery, which I think was a bit weak. The danish translation was in any case a bit weak.

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
Sourcery was pretty terrible.

Witches Abroad was the second Terry Pratchett book I ever read. The first was Jingo, and I thought that one was meh, but Witches Abroad is one of my favourite books of all time. I think you'll either love it or hate it, but to me it's the archetypical Witches book, and very sharply written to boot.

If you're not too well-versed in Anglo culture and history some of the jokes might not work, but the story is still pretty good.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Cacto posted:

Sourcery was pretty terrible.

Sourcery was half a book, much like the first 2 books were as well. It wasn't until Mort that Pratchett was able to craft a full narrative.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Mister Roboto posted:

Sourcery was half a book, much like the first 2 books were as well. It wasn't until Mort that Pratchett was able to craft a full narrative.

He still has trouble with it and a tendency to throw in subplots that do nothing for the overall narrative and just fizzle out, see: Going Postal > Making Money.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

GhostDog posted:

He still has trouble with it and a tendency to throw in subplots that do nothing for the overall narrative and just fizzle out, see: Going Postal > Making Money.

I still don't get Anghammarad's plot at all. It seemed a complete waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
Which Anghammarad plot? The one where he's created entirely to be the cause for a "And you think you're a postman" one-liner, or is there another plotline?

His eventual fate is a bit meh, but I think he does the job for which he was created quite well.