Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

Dubs posted:

This is probably most of the reason. I live in country Australia, I really can't relate.
Yes you can, you just don't care enough to bother. Almost everything is applicable to a good degree in Europe/Australia (the crime stuff being the biggest difference). I'm not judging, but I understand. Practically everyone I know in my little country in Europe would not care as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

Rapsey posted:

Yes you can, you just don't care enough to bother. Almost everything is applicable to a good degree in Europe/Australia (the crime stuff being the biggest difference). I'm not judging, but I understand. Practically everyone I know in my little country in Europe would not care as well.

Most people anywhere don't care "theres a thin line between heaven and here".

I've actually known people who wouldn't give The Wire a chance because it was a "Black Show". Not suggesting that anyone here is like that, but it does happen. I think it's not so much about racism and more about being afraid that they won;t be able to relate to the characters.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
You're a racist if season 2 is your favourite.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
If you are bored by season 4 or don't care about it then you're also racist

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
I loved The Wire, but its a really slow-moving show. It's not for everybody. I have friends that I recommend it to and others that I just know wouldn't like it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Zero Karizma posted:

I loved The Wire, but its a really slow-moving show. It's not for everybody. I have friends that I recommend it to and others that I just know wouldn't like it.

Agreed. A lot of my friends just plain aren't willing to give a chance to anything slow-paced. I don't fault them for it. I think most people treat tv or film as purely an entertainment medium and don't look to it for art.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

I just couldn't understand what half the characters in The Wire were saying. Part of it was slang and jargon I guess and I'm just too tired to pay attention that closely to know what anyone is talking about.

After the first few episodes, I'll admit I had to start watching it with subtitles.

The Rooster posted:

I've actually known people who wouldn't give The Wire a chance because it was a "Black Show". Not suggesting that anyone here is like that, but it does happen. I think it's not so much about racism and more about being afraid that they won;t be able to relate to the characters.

I'm not a raceologist, but this does sound somewhat like racism.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

Leviathan posted:

After the first few episodes, I'll admit I had to start watching it with subtitles.

I'm not a raceologist, but this does sound somewhat like racism.

I should rephrase then, it's not about malice then.

I was able to appreciate Season 2 alot more in the context of the entire show than I was when I was watching it for the first time. At the time I wanted to see more Barkesdale action, but the death of the American working class was a necessary piece of the whole picture.

I work in education, so Season 4 was particularly brutal to watch, it is my favorite season though.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

The Rooster posted:

I work in education, so Season 4 was particularly brutal to watch, it is my favorite season though.

From your own personal experiences, how accurate do you think Season 4 is in its portrayal of the public education system?

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

qbert posted:

From your own personal experiences, how accurate do you think Season 4 is in its portrayal of the public education system?

I can't say, public education in most states is funded by local property taxes, so a public school in beverly hills versus inner city Baltimore, or even Baltimore county and inner city Baltimore are going to look alot different.

I should clarify that my background in education is from teaching university level math classes as a graduate student. So I also try to do research and look up articles on k-12 education to get a better understanding of where our students are coming from when they enter as freshmen. My girlfriend also has a 6 year-old in kindergarten, and so I also pay attention to how he is being taught, particularly in math. But by no means am I any sort of expert in k-12 education, in fact I have no formal background and certainly none regarding socially and economically disadvantaged students.

But watching S4 did make me want to reach into the screen and kill people with my bare hands. Also: "invert the denominator" "why do we do that?" "bbecause it works, that's the formula" made me want to slap the poo poo out of Prez.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I stopped watching The Wire in the middle of the season that focused on the news paper. Everything up to that point was awesome. News paper drama was boring as poo poo.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I stopped watching The Wire in the middle of the season that focused on the news paper. Everything up to that point was awesome. News paper drama was boring as poo poo.

So basically you stopped like 4 episodes from finishing the entire series?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Leviathan posted:

I did this too, but then again, I watch EVERYTHING with subtitles, from foreign movies to How I Met Your Mother.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

itt goons complain about not being able to relate to The Wire and yet go on to praise Rome or Dexter.

Also in same thread, praising Rome's historical accuracy.

Hint: When something is based on 30+ years combined experience of stories from the real world as it was and is, and is written by top novelists and tv writers, then yes, something a bit more careful and constructed is going on than your pretty little spaceships and robots show, and maybe if you aren't drawn in by it, you can judge it on the importance of the work and message instead.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

qbert posted:

So basically you stopped like 4 episodes from finishing the entire series?

Pretty much. I read the plot summaries for the last couple of episodes online and it only seemed like I missed maybe 1/2 an episode of stuff I would have found interesting.

I loved the rest of the show though. I powered through everything but the end of the last season in about a week and a half.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

The Rooster posted:

I should rephrase then, it's not about malice then.

I was able to appreciate Season 2 alot more in the context of the entire show than I was when I was watching it for the first time. At the time I wanted to see more Barkesdale action, but the death of the American working class was a necessary piece of the whole picture.

I meant more the ignorant variety of racism, not the overtly malicious kind. It's like me saying I don't 'get' Of Mice and Men because I'm not a Depression-era migrant ranch worker and I don't have any retarded friends.

Actually that last part may be wrong.

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 9, 2010

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Although the constant reiteration of criticisms of people's personal tastes is fascinating, I need advice on what I should be watching while I wait for Disks #1 of Breaking Bad and Band of Brothers to become something other than Long Wait-listed on Netflix. I hear that Season 2 of Damages isn't the greatest, but I have Season 3 to look forward to?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Damages just gets worse and worse. Martin Short is pretty drat good in season 3, but it's not a must watch or anything.

There's some decent TV currently airing. I'm watching:

Spartacus
The Pacific
Justified
How to Make it in America (I think this just finished)
Damages
Chuck
Caprica

I could easily skip Spartacus, Damages, and Caprica from the list, but at this point I'm just watching for completions sake.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 9, 2010

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
"I can't understand what that black person is saying" is a very widespread complaint about The Wire. I grew up in practically the whitest suburban neighborhood in the US and Snoop is the only person on the show I (barely) have trouble understanding.

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
So, I'm really getting into Lost and holy crap what planet was I on when this was first airing?

I'm about middlish-close to the end of S2 where the suspected Other "Henry" is getting under Locke's skin about Jack calling the shots.

For the most part, I have a hard time giving a poo poo about any of the characters except for Locke, Sawyer, and Hurley. Sawyer's speech about taking the guns was so :aaa: good. I wish there were more Hurley-centric episodes as opposed to the seemingly endless ones about Claire and that loving kid. I hate everything about those episodes because every five seconds it's "CHAW-LIE" and "MY BAY-BEE". Goddamn ugh. Also, Locke rules, Jack drools :colbert:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mr. Sloth posted:

So, I'm really getting into Lost and holy crap what planet was I on when this was first airing?

I'm about middlish-close to the end of S2 where the suspected Other "Henry" is getting under Locke's skin about Jack calling the shots.

For the most part, I have a hard time giving a poo poo about any of the characters except for Locke, Sawyer, and Hurley. Sawyer's speech about taking the guns was so :aaa: good. I wish there were more Hurley-centric episodes as opposed to the seemingly endless ones about Claire and that loving kid. I hate everything about those episodes because every five seconds it's "CHAW-LIE" and "MY BAY-BEE". Goddamn ugh. Also, Locke rules, Jack drools :colbert:

WALT! WAAAAAAAAAALT! WWAAAAAAAAAAAALT! Where's my boy? Waaaaaaaaaaalt!

Ugh, I tried to go back and watch the early seasons and I couldn't stand watching some of them because of the repetition. Claire was pretty bad too. "Where's my baybee?"

The first half of season 3 kinda sucks, but stick with it. You have some really good episodes coming up.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Mr. Sloth posted:

I agree with you on every fact, except Jack is alright. It's not his fault Locke is just 110% badass though.

Plus master of faces, etc

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
Johnny reminds me -- one good thing has come out of a Claire episode and that is Locke beating down Charlie like a bitch :hellyeah:

Also, call me easily entertained, but my jaw hit the floor when Artz got blown up. Hurley's line shortly after that to Jack was so drat funny -- you know the one.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Just finished catching up on Chuck.
I watched season 1 sometime last year and wasn't too thrilled about it, but since almost everyone touts it as the best thing on tv, I caved and picked up season two on saturday, which was indeed much better than the premier season. Finished episode 13 of season 3 last night at around 3 a.m.

I am not quite on board with it being "the best thing on TV", but it's highly entertaining and really fun to watch.

Although I must say the "will they/won't they" and the repetition of "operation bartowski is shut down/commence operation bartowski" is kind of grating in heavy doses.

Also, where can I claim my membership card for the Cult of Strahovski?
Because hot drat! :swoon:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes. Strahovski is the best thing I've seen on TV in years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiKxIPMk6HI

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

I'm in that uncomfortable period between final papers/projects/presentations and final exams, so for the past week or so I've been watching 2 episodes of Skins daily. I'm usually not a fan of teen comedy/drama shows, but there's something about almost each and every one of the characters in this show that makes them likable. Fantastic show so far :)

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
In which season are you?

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

Just finished episode 7 of season 2.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
You may want to stop after season 2. The cast changes completely and it turns into complete poo poo (in my opinion of course).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To further the Lost discussion, I'm 4 episodes (included the one that aired last night) from being caught up.

It's definitely wearing pretty thin on me at the moment. The show just never got back to being as interesting as it was in the first season, where every episode ended with me wanting to watch the next one. Now I just want to see it to say I watched the finale live. Too many characters are annoying, too many plot threads are clumsily introduced and handled, and it's getting pretty ridiculous how obnoxiously coy the plot reveals have become.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Rapsey posted:

You may want to stop after season 2. The cast changes completely and it turns into complete poo poo (in my opinion of course).

Seconding this opinion. Some people like Season 3 & 4, but I had to stop after the first episode of the third.

Tailwhoop
Oct 18, 2008

Luigi to Kobe's Mario.
I'm currently binging through:

Arrested Development (I've never seen a single episode of it before it got on netflix)

Firefly (same story)

and Bones.

I love Netflix.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

To further the Lost discussion, I'm 4 episodes (included the one that aired last night) from being caught up.

It's definitely wearing pretty thin on me at the moment. The show just never got back to being as interesting as it was in the first season, where every episode ended with me wanting to watch the next one. Now I just want to see it to say I watched the finale live. Too many characters are annoying, too many plot threads are clumsily introduced and handled, and it's getting pretty ridiculous how obnoxiously coy the plot reveals have become.

I JUUUUUUUST caught up thanks to Netflix. I actually hated the early show, but started liking it when everything started to get crazy.

In the early seasons you had horrible Claire and Charlie bay-bee crap, plus Shannon's worthless rear end hogging up way too much plot. Not to mention that the Sawyer-Kate-Jack love triangle was pretty much the only thing going on.

Also, I never quite got the intrigue about the (season 1/2 spoiler) hatch intrigue. It just wasn't that mysterious to me.

And lest we forget the outside real-life problems causing characters who were obviously supposed to be important being flat out killed. For some reason that's something LOST people have decided can't be brought up.

Fortunately, after Season 3, it really picked up for me. When it takes this leap toward mildly crazy, I finally started to be entertained. Now there's barely any time for stupid love-triangle poo poo and most of the irritating characters are dead.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
Started going through Firefly recently. I have heard all the nerd love and absolutely love the concept of sci-fi/western crossovers. I got real excited after the first two episodes and now with two left I just want it to be over already.

I think they (generally) do a good job of building suspense and a lot of times I get the "oh god how are they going to get out of THIS one" feeling. But the characters lack any real depth, so at this point I've stopped caring whether or not they get out of it and wish that stupid little girl and her lovely actor of a brother would just loving get caught already. It seems like they attempted to go deeper into the characters as the show goes on, but every time they try to do that it just amounts to one character throwing a hissy fit and generally acting like a child. This results in the other characters saying things so ubiquitous that it doesn't matter who said it because it might as well have come from anyone on the show. They try to hit the general archetypes of funny guy, guy in it for himself, sarcastic but loving captain. In every instance, however, they just fall flat because someone is needed to say something but it doesn't matter who so none of the characters develop their own personality because who says it is really just based on convenience and not character.

Ok nerds, bring on the hate.

That being said, I've started on Twin Peaks as well and I'm loving the quirkiness of it all. The soap opera styling oscillates between using it for what drama it can provide and mocking the absurdity of a given situation. I want you inside me David Lynch.

Adjectivist Philosophy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 14, 2010

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zero Karizma posted:

I JUUUUUUUST caught up thanks to Netflix. I actually hated the early show, but started liking it when everything started to get crazy.

In the early seasons you had horrible Claire and Charlie bay-bee crap, plus Shannon's worthless rear end hogging up way too much plot. Not to mention that the Sawyer-Kate-Jack love triangle was pretty much the only thing going on.

Also, I never quite got the intrigue about the (season 1/2 spoiler) hatch intrigue. It just wasn't that mysterious to me.

And lest we forget the outside real-life problems causing characters who were obviously supposed to be important being flat out killed. For some reason that's something LOST people have decided can't be brought up.

Fortunately, after Season 3, it really picked up for me. When it takes this leap toward mildly crazy, I finally started to be entertained. Now there's barely any time for stupid love-triangle poo poo and most of the irritating characters are dead.
I don't know, I think just about everyone is pretty annoying at the moment. Okay I'm still cool with Miles I guess, and Hurley when he pulls a geeky reference out of his fat rear end. But the rest? gently caress 'em. Even Sawyer, a character I loved even through season 5, is just getting :rolleyes: at this point with all the drama.

And Kate is way worse than Claire and Shannon, mostly because they at least aren't main characters and thus aren't in the forefront of every episode.

I actually agree with you mostly about season 2, but to be more specific I think all of the problems started when they actually went into the hatch. It just kind of snowballed after that, with the focus jumping in and around stuff that ultimately I didn't care about.

I guess I like season 1 the most because it was more about surviving in a bizarre and surreal environment all alone. Then they got so caught up in blue balls and mysteries and science-fiction and it just kind got to be too much.

E: That isn't to say I haven't enjoyed enough episodes here and there to make it worthwhile. The season 3 finale is still my favorite episode alongside "Walkabout", and season 4 in general felt really solid and a more return to form because it was something you could wrap your head around.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 14, 2010

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's kind of funny that most of the posts in this thread are some variation of

"Started watching X show because of all the hype. Meh. Kinda underwhelmed."

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
I've seen everything ever made, what looks best in HD?

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

spe posted:

I've seen everything ever made, what looks best in HD?

Planet Earth.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

Traffic Reporter posted:

Planet Earth.

Yes. There can be only one. (and it's the Planet Earth blu-ray series)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Traffic Reporter posted:

That being said, I've started on Twin Peaks as well and I'm loving the quirkiness of it all. The soap opera styling oscillates between using it for what drama it can provide and mocking the absurdity of a given situation. I want you inside me David Lynch.

If you're interested, there's a Twin Peak Thread. It's not exactly jumping, but if you're looking to share some Lynch love or get some encouragement to make it through the middle of Season 2, head on over.