Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I have no idea how many of these were already posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The simplicity of the technique really is great. You can replace the given colours with nearly any other set, too.

I would probably do the linework before the final highlight, though. I'd worry less about messing up that way.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Aranan posted:

I have no idea how many of these were already posted.

fukkkkkkkk

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Well, time to buy more Farseers I guess.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's gotta be hard painting eldar. There's just so many more ways of tweaking your scheme and have it fit perfectly than with most other factions.

Aranan posted:

I would like to see more eldar in more realistic colours. This goes for all the armies except maybe guardsmen. It's quite cool to contrast the very strange aesthetic with mundane schemes.

I wonder what a camouflage-painted chaos marine would be like. :v:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Fyrbrand posted:

fukkkkkkkk

that model has a 9.8 on cmon, by far the highest score ive ever seen

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Aranan posted:

RICHARRRRRRDS! :doom:

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

crime fighting hog posted:

oh poo poo I can't make up my mind

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 9, 2010

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Those metal shoulder pads are smaller than plastic ones. Way to go GW.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Are they?

I'm still hoping someone does a good Sanguinary guard to Emperor's children conversion and posts pictures.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Are they?

I'm still hoping someone does a good Sanguinary guard to Emperor's children conversion and posts pictures.

Yup, I have about 20 of the Templar ones I got for cheap and they are easily noticeably smaller than the plastic ones. From table distance you cant tell but as soon as you pick it up you notice. They are very ugly too so I might say gently caress it and rip them off eventually

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Aranan posted:

:rock:

What model is this?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

:rock:

What model is this?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1020000&prodId=prod1060019

They have 5 farseer models.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Yup, I have about 20 of the Templar ones I got for cheap and they are easily noticeably smaller than the plastic ones. From table distance you cant tell but as soon as you pick it up you notice. They are very ugly too so I might say gently caress it and rip them off eventually

The Mentors ones I'm using for my bike army are just right. I know the old metal chapter specific pads they did were too small, but I think the ones they've added since then are fine.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah the size looks ok in these pictures:

Click here for the full 425x1352 image.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Zarkov Cortez posted:

This is...

I can't...

no. Can not happen. This just does not happen.

No one can do this.

No mortal thing can do this.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I can see the techniques used, its def possible. Its meticulous as gently caress, def more than my ADD could handle, but the technique is pretty easily replicated

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Zarkov Cortez posted:

This is Daft Punk as gently caress, but a baffling flag choice.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Zarkov Cortez posted:

We have a winne-

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Wait. Holy fu-

Zarkov Cortez posted:

:aaaaa:

(Top one is best farseer I've seen.)

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
All these Farseers are just making it hard for me to get started on my own. :smithicide:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'm going to have to strip the Eldar I did in earlier oath threads and loving start over now. Goddamn it.

PaintVagrant posted:

I can see the techniques used, its def possible. Its meticulous as gently caress, def more than my ADD could handle, but the technique is pretty easily replicated

Like what? School me on one.

Fix fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 9, 2010

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Fix posted:

I'm going to have to strip the Eldar I did in earlier oath threads and loving start over now. Goddamn it.

It's a revenant titan for reference.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Zarkov Cortez posted:

It's a revenant titan for reference.

Haha. I completely misidentified it. Yeah, my sense of scale was waaaay off then. Thought the duder had done a wicked Wraithlord sculpt and was trying to wrap my head around just how loving small that detail must be.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

bhsman posted:

All these Farseers are just making it hard for me to get started on my own. :smithicide:

Just think of these as an artform completely unrelated to miniature painting.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Chenghiz posted:

The Mentors ones I'm using for my bike army are just right. I know the old metal chapter specific pads they did were too small, but I think the ones they've added since then are fine.

This was my big concern when they announced the new pads, but yeah, the new ones are fine.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Captain Invictus posted:

drat dude, these are amazing. He painted that Ultramarines logo on the base of the Landspeeder too?

Nah, actually a friend of his painted it for him, to match the display board that they also did. The guy that did the tanks isn't so great of a 2-D artist (so he claims).

On an unrelated topic, how best to use LA's Totally Awesome to strip plastic minis? Do I dilute it, or just toss them in for a good soak?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
FW is doing an Eldar book after the Ork book right? I hope they revisit the wraithguard kit.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Sole.Sushi posted:

Nah, actually a friend of his painted it for him, to match the display board that they also did. The guy that did the tanks isn't so great of a 2-D artist (so he claims).

On an unrelated topic, how best to use LA's Totally Awesome to strip plastic minis? Do I dilute it, or just toss them in for a good soak?

Just toss.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Bobx66 posted:

FW is doing an Eldar book after the Ork book right? I hope they revisit the wraithguard kit.

I want to see them make some awesome Exarch and Autarch models. Or even new versions of the Phoenix Lords :byodood::fh:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The Phoenix Lords are ridiculously old (all of them were in miniature format when I started playing in 2e) so it would be pretty nice to get some variants or new sculpts. Having said that, the current ones have held up surprisingly well over the years, although a couple of them have that dated side-pose look.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Pretty sure this is because they were made during second ed. It is annoying though.

You dudes doing eldar should be stealing these monochromatic schemes, they look amazing.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
drat fine Eldar up in this thread.
Was it one of you goons that made the Cthulhu-headed ones? I can't seem to find them but I swear I saw them around here some time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MaliciousOnion posted:

We have a winne-

Wait. Holy fu-

:aaaaa:

(Top one is best farseer I've seen.)

clearly you missed this one

like literally my jaw dropped when I saw this, this and that Titan are by far the best painted minis I've ever seen. The various ludicrously detailed Falcons and other gravtanks that were posted in the last few pages are amazing too, but imagine a 300 foot tall robot with a grinning giant nosed face on it like that, coated head to toe in Gigeresque detail. Horrifying.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Got to admire the skill on that model but I can't say I like the colours at all. I also dont really like how every single surface is NMM pretty much.

Its still 1000x better than the best I'll ever accomplish, though.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

The thing about the white/red one is that it doesn't have any extra freehand, but the shading is just amazing.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

clearly you missed this one

like literally my jaw dropped when I saw this, this and that Titan are by far the best painted minis I've ever seen. The various ludicrously detailed Falcons and other gravtanks that were posted in the last few pages are amazing too, but imagine a 300 foot tall robot with a grinning giant nosed face on it like that, coated head to toe in Gigeresque detail. Horrifying.

It looks like a painting (as opposed to a model with paint on it) :)

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
I really like the monochromatic blue/turquoise one, it's an impressive effect but very, very difficult to pull off.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fix posted:

If you look really close, you can see the areas have been blocked in with a green-grey, then the lines have been painted in a lighter color. Then those lines have a couple of highlights, all the way up to tiny near-white ones at the corners.

Its sort of like streak highlighting, but done on a ridiculously huge and perfect scale :v:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The greatest miniature range

http://100k.blackorc.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Wow, the Black Panther Assassin is just a furry version of Aenur (the Mordheim White Dwarf free mini).

http://cart.blackorc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=370

I guess emulating an already posed mini is a good way to practice, but it seems a little silly selling the thing if it is nearly a mirror image (I know there are heaps of copying within the companies - but it was the first image I saw on the page)

• Locked thread