Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

DELETED posted:

Seriously, bend your knees and see how much you really can stay balanced. You can move your weight around easier when you're moving and everything is nice and relaxed.

Speaking of bending your knees, you should always bend your knees when landing a trick, whether it be a flip trick, grind/slide or manual. It helps with keeping your weight controlled above the board. I swear if I just bent my knees landing into noseslides I would have landed them earlier. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I think it's rad to use local builders for your park... but all the planning in the world isn't going to matter much unless the execution is there to put it all together well.

People like Dreamland know what they're doing.

Sounds awesome though, keep everyone posted on the progress. I love seeing park concepts.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

:woop: My new bushings and wheels came in the mail.

Going from 101a hard as poo poo Hubba wheels to 80a Bones filmers is like night and day. I don't really ride at parks often, mostly just on fairly rough streets, and the noise and likelihood of completely eating poo poo from a small twig were getting to me like crazy. I haven't had a chance to really take them out for a ride but I can actually hear things other than a loud plasticky roar up and down my street.

I ordered way too soft bushings though to replace my generic as poo poo hard ones. I've got my trucks ridiculously tight and the board corners like nobody's business. It's gunna be good for my balance once I am used to it but I'm going to fall hard over this next week doing stuff I was comfortable with last week.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Shania Twain posted:

So I'm amped that we found an architect that skates to help design the park.

That's pretty cool. On another board I visit, there's a guy who is an engineer/architect and actually convinced someone to change the handrails for this school they were designing/building "to comply with ADA". These changes just happened to make the design skateable, too.

Also, loose trucks save lives.

DELETED fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 8, 2010

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
About the park. We're not trying to build every spot. Like that one guy said we're more looking to incorporate a couple famous spots into our overall design; instead of just having some ledges on the side of the park, incorporate some bank action like china banks, or having vertical ledges like brooklyn banks on one of the larger banks we plan to build. If you guys have any ideas I'd love to hear them. I want to make a place thats incredibly fun for everyone to session.

In other news, I dont know if you've all seen this, but the 16 part Epicly Later'd featuring John Cardiel is some of the most epic poo poo I've seen in a while. When he hits the autumn bowl towards the end I teared up. Cardiel has gotten me amped since I was a little kid and it's amazing to see a human being that's so strong spit in the face of the odds against him and continue living a truly epic life. Check this poo poo out and go do something crazy. All hail Cardiel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4O5K89P6cE

Mincher
May 12, 2008

DELETED posted:

Also, loose trucks save lives.

This is so gospel it should be in the loving bible. I don't understand how anyone can skate on a tight, unresponsive board.

My local park organisers are looking to add a nice wee ledge/eurogap situation to the park in memorial of a much loved local skater. They need to raise loads of cash to do it though as it is council run and therefore needs to use expensive, council approved contractors.

If you're feeling nice, click here and donate some loose change.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I think a lot of beginners ride really rigid truck setups because, for the most part, they're not traveling at very high speeds while attempting tricks. When you're going sort of slow on loose trucks it becomes very hard to stabilize yourself.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
It's no fun when you have to tick tack to get around a corner. Looks a lot cooler and feels a lot better when ya just lean into it. Loose trucks and fast carves!

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Tight trucks are nice when trying to learn flip tricks.

I ride em' loose, no flip trick (that I can pull off) feels half as good as a high speed carve.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I think I'm finally going to get out and put a new complete together this year to tool around with when I'm bored. Because I'm a massive dork I'm going to pick up this deck I think, but beyond that does anyone have any recommendations on hardware, or places to shop for stuff online that has good prices?

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Buy local, support your scene!

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

donJonSwan posted:

Buy local, support your scene!
I'm 27 and don't have a lot of interest/investment in any kind of "local scene", but I know of a couple nice shops. Stores aside, what brands do people recommend for trucks, wheels, etc.?

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Trucks: Independents or Thunder
Wheels: Spitfire or Spitfire
Bearings: Any Bones (Reds, Swiss, whatever)

For a deck, you are paying way too much for what appears to be something a little better than a Walmart board.

quote:

perfect competition shape and construction for all terrains.

Seriously....

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Sirkus posted:

For a deck, you are paying way too much for what appears to be something a little better than a Walmart board.
Yeah...thats probably true. :smith:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Sirkus posted:

Seriously....

You left off the best part.

quote:

The best quality hard-rock maple decks and an unrivaled patent-pending printing process make this the best skateboard available in the world. :toot:

It could be a lovely deck or a decent deck...there's one way to find out! They have to get it supplied by someone who makes decks so they might have actually used a decent supplier. Who knows.

Speaking of decks I found it interesting to learn that most quality decks are made from Canadian Maple trees that grow around the great lakes. Something about the hot wet summer and cold dry winter (or vice versa) makes the wood especially "poppy".

As for hardware do what the Sir says.

Sirkus posted:

Trucks: Independents or Independents
Wheels: Spitfire or Spitfire
Bearings: Any Bones (Reds, Swiss, whatever)

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Merauder posted:

I think I'm finally going to get out and put a new complete together this year to tool around with when I'm bored. Because I'm a massive dork I'm going to pick up this deck I think, but beyond that does anyone have any recommendations on hardware, or places to shop for stuff online that has good prices?

I've always ordered stuff out of CCS. http://shop.ccs.com/ plus, if you order all your poo poo there, free shipping right now. (I can guarantee that if you order the hardware they're recommending it'll be free shipping with that code on the front page.)

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

mix.lunar posted:

I've always ordered stuff out of CCS. http://shop.ccs.com/ plus, if you order all your poo poo there, free shipping right now. (I can guarantee that if you order the hardware they're recommending it'll be free shipping with that code on the front page.)
Yeah, I was checking out their site earlier today. I remember buying my first complete from them when I was much younger out of one of their little mailing catalogs. :)

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
I dont understand why people dont just buy blanks. You essentially pay an extra 20 bucks to have some paint thrown on the bottom of your board that is going to get hosed up anyways. I bought an enjoi deck recently because it was on sale, but I wont ever again. I remember back in the day buying powell mini-logos for like 15 bucks cheaper and they were sick. Then I found out about even more generic blanks... essentially what any distributor sells, minus the logos.

In terms of hardware, get the cheapest wheels, the cheapest bearings and trucks that have a brand name. The reason you should buy brand name trucks is because they're all essentially the same, but axle slip is a bitch if you buy bullshit walmart trucks. Skateboarding is a cheap sport. You aren't supposed to have "nice" poo poo because it's loving skateboarding. The only thing you should ever be thinking about when buying trucks is "hey are these the same width as my deck? Do I recognize this company from somewhere? Is this the cheapest set of trucks in the store?" Buying into paying extra money so your board has different colors and poo poo is ridiculous because every company buys their poo poo from the same place. Do you really think any of these companies actually press their own boards? They dont even paint them. It's all outsourced.

http://blankdecks.com/ Holy poo poo, 10 decks for 10.99! What a legit loving deal!

Most shops have a sale area where they have cheaper decks, trucks, wheels.... If you really need paint on the bottom of your board shop there for a cheap deck. Otherwise save yourself some money.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I guess I'm a bit more of a hippy about the whole thing.

I like buying boards of the riders who I think rip the hardest, same goes for trucks and wheels. I'm not talking about pro-endorsed limited edition trucks or anything like that, just companies who support the riders I love to watch.

Blank boards are nice and all, but 50 bucks isn't really that large of an investment - so I get what I want as opposed to the best deal out there.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Shania Twain posted:

http://blankdecks.com/ Holy poo poo, 10 decks for 10.99! What a legit loving deal!

oh my god

I'm gonna spend the $40 I saved per deck on band stickers to decorate them.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Maybe it's placebo, but I definitely find that my shop decks don't feel the same as a deluxe board. If I'm riding what I THINK is the best stuff and I don't land poo poo I don't have anything to blame but myself, and that's worth it for me. Or you know, maybe it does actually make a difference, because decks and trucks all feel different for me.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

The shop decks we used to do at my old work were made by Shuv-It. It was funny when we'd actually get Shuv-It decks in and everyone would bash them, or call them crap, but then spend the money on a shop deck that was a Shuv-It and exclaim how they are the best decks ever made.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I don't know the specifics on what percentage a skater gets on board sales, but its got to be something, right?

Take my money Guy Mariano!

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

mix.lunar posted:

Don't buy stuff from CCS. That company is run by a bunch of business men who have no interest in the support of skateboarding and are only out to make money. If you have a local shop, buy stuff from there. If not than find a skateshop that has a website to purchase from.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Sirkus posted:

Maybe it's placebo, but I definitely find that my shop decks don't feel the same as a deluxe board. If I'm riding what I THINK is the best stuff and I don't land poo poo I don't have anything to blame but myself, and that's worth it for me. Or you know, maybe it does actually make a difference, because decks and trucks all feel different for me.

Parts make some kind of difference initially, when you get different parts from different brands (decks and trucks especially), riding around / doing tricks might feel a little bit different. However you'll adjust to it pretty fast, you'll get used to whatever parts as long as you give yourself enough time. Don't think if you ride Girl decks you'll be able to do tre flips better than if you were riding blanks, it's not the skateboard that makes you good.

For reference, here's Guy Mariano on a Crail Board :v::
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvSD7ZX1lx0

E: Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyh-N0TVEy4

mes fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 9, 2010

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Mest0r posted:

Also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay3SzxX6kio

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
For the most part unless you're an amazing skater the only poo poo that matters are good bearings and a decent deck shape. poo poo, I just learned and dialed three flips on a six-year-old shop deck that is a piece of crap.

As an aside: clean three flips look and sound amazing.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Mest0r posted:

Parts make some kind of difference initially, when you get different parts from different brands (decks and trucks especially), riding around / doing tricks might feel a little bit different. However you'll adjust to it pretty fast, you'll get used to whatever parts as long as you give yourself enough time. Don't think if you ride Girl decks you'll be able to do tre flips better than if you were riding blanks, it's not the skateboard that makes you good.

E: Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyh-N0TVEy4

Sure, but I don't ride Girl boards because in my experience the shape is flat and the wood feels cheap.

I recently picked up a Skate Mental (if you look a few pages back you'll find her!) and like my other crailtap boards she is now gone after 3 weeks of skating. I don't even break boards that often.

To me, it's mostly about shape, not all boards are the same shape!

Anyways it was 25 degrees in Montreal last weekend and my friend wallie'd this barrier into a closed off downhill road. The victory dance powerslides were glorious, I'll post up the footage of it soon.

Sirkus fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 10, 2010

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
bullshit-rear end spring weather keeping me inside in NorCal

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Sirkus posted:

This is loving rad, did you take the photo?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Shania Twain posted:

In terms of hardware, get the cheapest wheels, the cheapest bearings and trucks that have a brand name. The reason you should buy brand name trucks is because they're all essentially the same, but axle slip is a bitch if you buy bullshit walmart trucks. Skateboarding is a cheap sport. You aren't supposed to have "nice" poo poo because it's loving skateboarding. The only thing you should ever be thinking about when buying trucks is "hey are these the same width as my deck? Do I recognize this company from somewhere? Is this the cheapest set of trucks in the store?" Buying into paying extra money so your board has different colors and poo poo is ridiculous because every company buys their poo poo from the same place. Do you really think any of these companies actually press their own boards? They dont even paint them. It's all outsourced.

This might be true for street skating, but not for longboarding/downhill/slalom/whatever. The amount of gear and options out there that actually make a difference is staggering, I could sperg for hours about truck width and baseplate angles and bearing hub placement and lip profiles and urethane formulas blah blah blah.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Welp, after minimal discussion and lots of impulsive thoughts, I shot down to a local shop here in Boise ("Prestige" is their name) and picked up this complete, with a shop deck, Indy trucks, Spitfire wheels & bearings. Was home with it for ~10 minutes before it cost my right leg, elbow, and both hands some skin. This thing is going to kick my rear end this summer, but I'm looking forward to it.

Yes, those are Smiths lyrics. The shop owners are 2 dudes in their 30s who dig them and thought it'd be a neat graphic. I enjoy it. :)

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008

Sirkus posted:

This is sick. Cant wait to see the footy

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Went skating for the first time since I was 12 today with a friend who actually knows what he's doing. We were rolling on some tarmac which was flat but still had an unpleasantly rough texture to it; as expected I fell off pretty spectacularly in the first 5 minutes, put out my hand and managed to jar my wrist. Unfased I got back on and continued to practice balancing on the board and moving around. After a couple of hours I am now confident I wont fall off just skating around and even managed to pop a couple of ollies. Not bad progress for an afternoon.

EDIT: I'm 20 now and I was worried that I was too old to be doing this poo poo, but falling off and taking it proved otherwise.

Tactical Grace fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 12, 2010

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I'm 28 and I can't imagine ever stopping.

Eric Koston is 34.

We've got DECADES ahead of us.

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Tactical Grace posted:

Went skating for the first time since I was 12 today with a friend who actually knows what he's doing. We were rolling on some tarmac which was flat but still had an unpleasantly rough texture to it; as expected I fell off pretty spectacularly in the first 5 minutes, put out my hand and managed to jar my wrist. Unfased I got back on and continued to practice balancing on the board and moving around. After a couple of hours I am now confident I wont fall off just skating around and even managed to pop a couple of ollies. Not bad progress for an afternoon.

EDIT: I'm 20 now and I was worried that I was too old to be doing this poo poo, but falling off and taking it proved otherwise.

Yeah dude! I thought I would be a weird creep getting back into skating at 25. Then I realised that there are loads of 25yr+ skaters all around the place.

No longer do I feel awkward learning to kickflip (which I still haven't got).

Keep pushin'!

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Nah I didn't take the picture, I was in the lineup! Never got my ollie over the barrier... but I'll be back Dube, I'll be back...

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Looks like rain and snow should be over, at least here. Finally I can commute again using my board!

Today I shot this short video while I was lazily getting back from work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYmKhAf4x7k

Quite tame (and boring) but I was soo happy to bathe again in the sun!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

donJonSwan posted:

I'm 28 and I can't imagine ever stopping.

Eric Koston is 34.

We've got DECADES ahead of us.

Rodney Mullen's 44 :woop:

I started skating at 24, four months ago. I don't know why I didn't start this a decade ago; there's very little in my life that makes as much sense, is so fun and so natural as skateboarding has turned out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar
Aug 25, 2002

Whalley posted:

Rodney Mullen's 44 :woop:
Speaking of Rodney, I just found these in my closet: