Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
-this graceless planet - we vs. the shark

-4 Inches - rick johnson rock 'n roll machine

-Little Brother - andrew jackson jihad

-A Shine To It - laura stevenson

-Ghost of Corporate Future - regina spektor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drinking With Nixon
Mar 7, 2009

Your Mama's got plans, your daddy's aim is true.
She never understood that it ain't no good.
Papa never heard the cool.
Hey anyone know how I can get my hands on the Suburban Legends song Car 54 legally?

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Obama Yo Mama posted:

e: okay i found the original 'if assholes got awards' and it owns but now the btmi version has immediately shot into my top 5

Yeah it's seriously awesome. I find i prefer the original, though.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Josh Wow posted:

-4 Inches - rick johnson rock 'n roll machine

-Little Brother - andrew jackson jihad

-A Shine To It - laura stevenson

yeah well i guess but to me that's the same thing as streetlight putting they provide the paint on 99sor. i guess it's a cover but it's basically the same band

e: i found another good ska cover that i forgot i had: goldfinger- nite klub

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Gangsters by The Specials is a reworked cover of Al Capone by Prince Buster. Guns of Navarone is a Skatalites cover, too.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Bosstones did Enter Sandman.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

here's my top-30 covers (alphabetically by band, no order yet) of the ones that i have on my itunes. any omissions that need to be on there and what you'd replace for them? i'd like to get a few more two-tone stuff on there but i'm really way more of a third-wave guy. i like two-tone but i really don't know much about it outside of the specials and the like

• The Aquabats- Throw Away The Trash!
  • Big D and the Kids Table- Wailing Paddle
  • Big D and the Kids Table- Little Bitch
  • Big D and the Kids Table- Iron Maiden
  • BtMI!- Pike St. - Park Slope
  • BtMI!- If Assholes Got Awards, I'd Have A Trophy Case
  • BtMI!- Gold Soundz
  • Five Iron Frenzy- It's Not Unusual
  • Five Iron Frenzy- Mama Mia
  • Five Iron Frenzy- Sweet Talkin' Woman
  • Goldfinger- Nite Klub
  • Madness- One Step Beyond
  • Mighty Mighty Bosstones- Simmer Down
  • Mu330- Motorbreath
  • MUSTARD PLUG- THE FRESHMEN (HAPPY NOW DICKEYE?)
  • Pietasters- Big Balls
  • Pietasters- Same Ol' Song
  • The Porkers- Kickstart My Heart
  • Reel Big Fish- Take On Me
  • Reel Big Fish- New York, New York
  • Reel Big Fish- Hungry Like The Wolf
  • Reel Big Fish w/ Zolof- Lyin' rear end Bitch
  • Regatta 69- Talk Dirty To Me
  • Save Ferris- Come On Eileen
  • The Specials- Message To You Rudy
  • The Specials- Enjoy Yourself
  • Suburban Legends- Rose Tint My World
  • Streetlight Manifesto- Such Great Heights
  • Streetlight Manifesto- Birds Flying Away
  • Streetlight Manifesto- Red Rubber Ball

honorable mentions:
  • BtMI!- Anywhere I Lay My Head
  • Mighty Mighty Bosstones- Detroit Rock City (basically just because it's not kiss and they did it in spite of gene simmons saying that they couldn't)
  • Mephiskapheles- Bumble Bee Tuna Song
  • BtMI!-related band covers from Others! Others!
  • Streetlight Manifesto- Here's To Life
  • Whole Wheat Bread- I Don't Give A gently caress ; Never Scared (not ska but these own so hard that i'm posting them, they toured with big d once so i'm counting it)
  • Less Than Jake- Your Love (this cover sucks and i'm just posting it to have an excuse to post the midtown one which owns)
  • Sublime- 5446/Ball and Chain (only half the song is a cover and the horns really don't kick in until the original half so i'm not sure if i want to count it up there but if i decide i want to it's definitely in the top-30, probably at the expense of authority song or throw away the trash)

drunk asian neighbor posted:

It was p. great but LTJ had their Price is Right-style album cover wheel, and they spun In With the Out Crowd, and so that's what they focused on.

this was at roseland ballroom in nyc? because same thing happened to me when i saw them there

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 10, 2010

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Nobody ever mentions Mustard Plug doing The Freshmen

I love that song

gently caress yuo

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i don't have it. those are my top-30 of the ones i actually have

e: listened, it owns and it's definitely going up there

e2: added, took off authority song

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 10, 2010

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Obama Yo Mama posted:

this was at roseland ballroom in nyc? because same thing happened to me when i saw them there

Crocodile Rock in Allentown, PA.

I <3 Roseland though, I saw Primus there twice in one week.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

interpunct posted:

Madness:
- Madness (Prince Buster)
- One Step Beyond (Prince Buster)

- Swan Lake (Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky)

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
I think I just broke my foot and cracked a few ribs in the Voodoo Glow Skulls pit at the Houston show last night.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

So I was reading this article on the Specials from the NY Times and noticed something interesting in this paragraph (emphasis mine):

quote:

Now, a year after a successful 30th-anniversary tour in which six of the seven original Specials barnstormed across Britain for the first time since 1980, the band is coming to the United States for one of its highest-profile gigs yet, a featured spot on April 16 at the influential Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in Indio, Calif. That gig, a handful of club dates (the group plays two sold-out shows at Terminal 5 in New York on April 20 and 21), an appearance on “Late Night With Jimmy Fallon” and a free Aug. 22 show at Summerstage are the Specials’ first American shows since two grueling tours here in 1980 and 1981 exposed personal and musical rifts that continue to this day.

This is the first news I've heard of a Summerstage show. Guess New Yorkers luck out again.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Alright so check this out, my friend hooked me up with this german punk/ska band the other night. Most of the time I have no idea what they're saying but it's OK because the music is catchy as all hell. The best song?

Meine Ex(plodierte Freundin)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY_-Bi8F_gA

Literally, My Ex(ploding Girlfriend)

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Dickeye posted:

Alright so check this out, my friend hooked me up with this german punk/ska band the other night. Most of the time I have no idea what they're saying but it's OK because the music is catchy as all hell. The best song?

Meine Ex(plodierte Freundin)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY_-Bi8F_gA

Literally, My Ex(ploding Girlfriend)

Gotta love keyboard horns. The flute sounds like somebody actually playing though.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i used to work at sumerstage :(

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!

niteice posted:

Bosstones did Enter Sandman.

Reel Big Fish did too.

Related note; do any good ska bands (Besides the Supervillains) even visit South Texas? I don't like having to drive 350 miles to see a good show :(

Doubly related note; how hard is it to form a ska band/how did any of your ska bands form? I've asked around and basically I get a whore bunch of "What the flying bitch-tits is ska?".

buttslave fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 11, 2010

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of Mustard Plug, thy have a new song up for the rest of the current tour

http://www.mediafire.com/?zyjmrt1hth2

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Dickeye posted:

Speaking of Mustard Plug, thy have a new song up for the rest of the current tour

http://www.mediafire.com/?zyjmrt1hth2

Thanks for this, new Mustard Plug is way better than old Mustard Plug. If their new album is as good as Black and White was I'll be stoked.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Josh Wow posted:

Thanks for this, new Mustard Plug is way better than old Mustard Plug. If their new album is as good as Black and White was I'll be stoked.

Whoa now let's not talk bad about stuff like Evildoers

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

I'm not, I love Evildoers Beware, Pray for Mojo and Big Daddy Multitude. But In Black and White is easily my favorite album of theirs.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Miscellaneous_T posted:

The Reel Big Fish cover was actually a pretty straightforward cover of this version that Op Ivy recorded.

I love this thread.

Also, it's not that great, but No Doubt did a cover of The Clash's "Hateful." This was before Return of Saturn, so it was still ska-ish.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I need to hear that, Hateful is one of the best songs on London Calling

Also, go to http://hurley.com/musicstream to listen to new WATU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Dickeye posted:

new WATU

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
missed me talking about it a few pages ago, huh

The album came out 2 weeks ago now. I havent had a chance to listen to it yet, I'll probably do that tomorrow

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

it's a quick album, just listened through it, it's really good. i like who we are better at first listen, but not by much. i might end up liking this one more when all's said and done.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dickeye posted:

I need to hear that, Hateful is one of the best songs on London Calling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JGYVyCyCrs

Not a big fan :-\

The Bosstones Rudie Can't Fail is awesome though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t21Cr2efweU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

aricoarena posted:

Have you listened to Good Luck, or The Gypsy Hill ep? Because those were good albums. How it Goes is not very good, and also was mixed/mastered worse than their previous albums, like worse than the albums my friends made using the closet as a studio - I'm still shocked that that is how they chose to release that album. Everything after that is utter poo poo.
This must define the gap between me and the rest of the people in this thread but-- I can't stand Big D, but I really enjoyed How it Goes, and while the brick wall limiting is awful, at least you can hear everyone, unlike Strictly Rude, which is just flat out mixed incorrectly. The drums are like twice as loud as everything else, and the horns sound like they're being played in the hallway outside of the recording room. The compression is also way over the top, and the reverb is too high to the point of cavernous.

Well let me just come right out and say it, I think Strictly Rude is a loving lame album just like "Monkeys for Nothing and the Chimps for Free" where a ska band says "hey we're going to do a REAL SKA record for the kids!!!!" and its a pandering soulless travesty with a creamy vanilla center. How It Goes has some bad songs, but only because they produced 20 tracks and should have cut it down to 13-14. I guess if you count their split EP, Strictly Rude/Thrash was the same length as How it Goes too, and maybe they should have just not divided the two. Maybe the only way they can guarantee a good song is to just throw in every idea, good or bad. Fluent in Stroll, for example, is one very long bad idea.

I also can't stand anything they did before Gypsy Hill either because it all sounds like it's being played through a pillow, imo

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

big d isn't really an album band, i think their real appeal is when they're seen live. i agree with the sound quality of the albums but i actualy liked strictly rude save for a few songs. fluent in stroll, i didn't even bother

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
The album it was on was terrible but I really like RBF's cover of We Hate it When Our Friends Become Successful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4wW9PjDf1s

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Obama Yo Mama posted:

big d isn't really an album band, i think their real appeal is when they're seen live. i agree with the sound quality of the albums but i actualy liked strictly rude save for a few songs. fluent in stroll, i didn't even bother

that's weird to read, i really like a lot of big d's stuff but they are also the only band i have literally walked out on

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

not a dinosaur posted:

that's weird to read, i really like a lot of big d's stuff but they are also the only band i have literally walked out on

I love and own every Aquabats album up to Myths...Adventures but when I saw them in 2006 with no horn section they sounded like poo poo and I didn't want to lose anymore love for them by making my self stay.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

The Slackers - Tin Tin Deo
Hepcat - Skaravan
and
Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra - Tetris
Any Ska Band - Any song by Oingo Boingo

are easily my favorite covers. What made me sad is that the Oingo Boingo tribute album only really had Suburban Legends doing On the Outside, the Aquabats doing Controller, and RxBandits doing Grey Matter as good stuff. Especially when Skankin Pickle did an awesome version of Violent Love on the Green Album, which is full of all sorts of other covers. Gates of Steel and Pay to Cum so gooood.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Streetlight Manifesto really needs to record a studio version of Point/Keasbey Nights/Counterpoint and put it on iTunes, Victory Records be damned. Having to listen to live versions of it or badly stitched-together versions by guys on Youtube sucks.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

monday may 10th at the knitting factory: btmi!, o pioneers!, junior battles, thousandaires

i still haven't seen btmi! yet, hope i don't die in the next three weeks, anytime after that is fine

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

http://thenecroskamicon.wordpress.com/2010/04/13/top-30-ska-covers-of-all-time/

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Okay that cover of Come on Eileen is awesome

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

What the hell Zolof the Rock and Roll destroyer did something with RBF? They're playing at my school this weekend.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

for some reason i thought that said worst covers, i saw one step beyond and got really mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Taj is leaving for a northeast tour in like 2 days, so if you're close to one of our shows come on out:

Apr 16 2010 6:00P Funk’n Waffles Syracuse, New York

Apr 17 2010 7:00P Fat Baby Lower East Side Manhattan, New York 21+

Apr 18 7:00P Punk Rock House Show Boston, Massachusetts

Apr 21 2010 12:00P The Edmond Town Hall Gym Newtown, Connecticut

Apr 22 2010 9:00P Cafe Nine NEW HAVEN, Connecticut 21+

Apr 23 2010 7:00P Bushwick Music Studios BROOKLYN, New York

The 17 and 22 shows are 21+, everything else is all ages. If you're in Boston just PM me for house show details, we're playing with the Boston Jolly Pirates. I wish we were playing more places, but turns out I'm lovely at booking tours. Whoops.

We might do another northeast run before the end of the year, but the weather gets all lovely and we lose motivation to go places we might get snowed in. Maybe we'll just go to Texas instead.