Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_reject
May 30, 2002

Jonny Nox posted:

Apparently this is quite common for BMW R100 engines?
The early R100s were known for exhaust valve seat recession, as the seat material was simply too soft and the valve would pound itself deeper into the head. Occasionally, the head of an exhaust valve would snap off and leave it's mark inside the combustion chamber, which looks like what happened there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Jonny Nox posted:

I like this thread too much to let it die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=632-6Y8jJ2I
Was this staged?

Staged or not, I'm glad I didn't see this yesterday morning before I threw the Sting Ray on a dyno.

UnderToad
Mar 3, 2010

thArf posted:

and just because i had this in the same folder

now thats some shear failure

Does anyone have the story on the GM truck? That's way beyond any radiator failure, unless he was using liquid propane as a coolant.

zifflol
Apr 27, 2004
How about horrible failures of a mechanic? The 3 inch PCV to intake hose for my neon was $32, so I rerouted it instead of paying the dealership to send me the wrong part again.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Blue hoses have been shown to add like 4 more HP but you can kind of negate the loss with a sweet braided stainless hose sleeve.

TheAtomicMan
May 4, 2007

whats that over there

This is always awesome when it happens to you at 2AM in the mountain passes of Oregon.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

This happens when you forget to do up big end bearings...

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

warcake posted:

At first I was all Screamin' Jimmy and that's all that happened, then I remember Volvo paints them the same color lol.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

TheAtomicMan posted:

This is always awesome when it happens to you at 2AM in the mountain passes of Oregon.

Am I just used to Brembo calipers or is there supposed to be a hard line that leads from the outer two pistons to the inner two? The idea of running a fixed caliper as a floating caliper would pain any wheel studs.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Poing posted:

Am I just used to Brembo calipers or is there supposed to be a hard line that leads from the outer two pistons to the inner two? The idea of running a fixed caliper as a floating caliper would pain any wheel studs.
I believe those are built in such a way that the fluid passes from one side to another through the casting itself.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
I think he was talking about the sheared off bolts that hold the wheel that was there on.

Unless your conversation just went over my head.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

warcake posted:

wow that makes me glad I torqued down all the caps on the rod's when I was helping my dad rebuild one of the 1271's on his boat. Nothing more fun than laying on your back, just above the bilge, catching rods as my dad drops the cylinders into place....

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Flyboy925 posted:

I think he was talking about the sheared off bolts that hold the wheel that was there on.

Unless your conversation just went over my head.

I too saw it as the loneliest wheelstud, left behind when everybody else went out to party at the bottom of a mountain. Poor guy.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
My rings are shot and my carb is out of adjustment. I have another carb sitting around I can rebuild, but I'm lazy.

Click here for the full 1879x1056 image.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

DELETED posted:

My rings are shot and my carb is out of adjustment. I have another carb sitting around I can rebuild, but I'm lazy.

Click here for the full 1879x1056 image.

Jesus, if you'd have just shown the picture I would have thought "Ahh, lawnmowers..." That came out of a car? drat.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Yup, if they stay in long enough it will start to turn into ash but they usually foul to the point of not working before then. I have to pull and clean them every few hundred miles, I'm pretty much just seeing how long an engine can run like that at this point. Being an AMC 258, I'm not holding my breath.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

DELETED posted:

Yup, if they stay in long enough it will start to turn into ash but they usually foul to the point of not working before then. I have to pull and clean them every few hundred miles, I'm pretty much just seeing how long an engine can run like that at this point. Being an AMC 258, I'm not holding my breath.

Try getting a spark plug anti-fouling adapter most auto parts places have them if you ask.

As I understand it its a sleeve that goes in first and helps prevent the poo poo building up.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Run hotter plugs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sponge! posted:

Try getting a spark plug anti-fouling adapter most auto parts places have them if you ask.

As I understand it its a sleeve that goes in first and helps prevent the poo poo building up.

I'm trying to imagine how something like this could possibly work.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Godholio posted:

I'm trying to imagine how something like this could possibly work.

It does. I wouldn't put one on every cylinder, but I had an engine that kept fouling the same plug, and it was an OK $3 band-aid.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

oxbrain posted:

Run hotter plugs.

That's my plan next time I get paid, but I'm making these plugs last a little while at least. The biggest problem areas are when you take too long cranking it, and if it idles too long. I would need one of those anti-foul for each cylinder. A few are worse than the others, but they're all bad. The carb running rich doesn't help but my hands are tied there, I have a million projects going on at once and I'd rather this thing runs poorly instead of not running at all.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Am I stupid or is an anti-fouler a washer that makes the plug a hotter plug by keeping it from threading in so far?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ab0z posted:

Am I stupid or is an anti-fouler a washer that makes the plug a hotter plug by keeping it from threading in so far?

A tube that moves the plug all the way out of the cylinder head with just a small, like 1/4" hole where the spark and mixture can meet. Effectively an oil shield, but kind of a hack.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Wouldn't that result in terrible performance?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ab0z posted:

Wouldn't that result in terrible performance?

If you're fouling plugs that quickly, "performance" is defined by "is it running".

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you're fouling plugs that quickly, "performance" is defined by "is it running".

Yeah, by that point having optimum ignition in the combustion chamber is a drop in the bucket. It's been knocking for thousands of miles now, which makes me think it's just pistons slapping around in the bores instead of a bad rod. Doesn't matter to me, as long as it goes down the road for a while longer. I'll try and get pics once I finally tear it apart. I'll have to get some mics and stuff so I can see just how hilariously out of spec this engine is. Maybe I'll put my protective case on my camera and take video of the exhaust pipe during a cold start later :downs:

DELETED fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 20, 2010

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
is this a problem

star trek extra credit
Jun 3, 2007

Forced...exduction?

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ab0z posted:

is this a problem

No I think the magnet got it all.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

VanFullOfMidgets posted:

Forced...exduction?

G-Laders don't usually make it through the case, so that must have let go at high RPM.

Hey heres an idea
Nov 20, 2002

Why don't you crawl up my ass and fight for air?
Well, its not really automotive, but it does involve a centrifugal pump, so its close enough, right?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Hey heres an idea posted:

Well, its not really automotive, but it does involve a centrifugal pump, so its close enough, right?

holy poo poo. I need the story that goes along with that picture, and hopefully more pictures of the carnage.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Hey heres an idea posted:

I too would like to hear this story. And don't worry, if you've read any of this thread, there are a lot more things in here than just automotive. But who cares, mechanical carnage seems to be very welcomed here in AI.

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003
Car in question:

Click here for the full 2048x1216 image.

Horrible failure:

Click here for the full 1216x2048 image.

I wish I had a picture of the oil pan, it looked like someone was shooting at it from the inside.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

ab0z posted:

is this a problem

Its... So beautiful!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Ha. I clicked this one first, because it seemed most representative. It was a bit bigger than my screen. "It doesn't look that ba--" [scroll right] "Oh."

Hey heres an idea
Nov 20, 2002

Why don't you crawl up my ass and fight for air?

Negromancer posted:

holy poo poo. I need the story that goes along with that picture, and hopefully more pictures of the carnage.

Unfortunately, its a mystery to this day. One of our inspectors went out to a customers warehouse, and they noticed that the pump casing was cracked in half like that. The rust is just from sitting outside our warehouse for a month or so.

Both Aurora and the seller's technical experts came out to look at the pump, but they couldn't figure it out either.

For those that don't know, that's a vertical in-line fire pump, and it had only been installed four years previous.

I have other pictures, let me see if I can't host them.

Here's the impeller with the discharge attached.

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

No one that's seen this has ever seen a pump hosed up this bad that wasn't caused by an improper installation, or a large rock from an unflushed underground connection. This wasn't caused by any rock, and there wasn't any cavitation.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I vote casting flaw + vibration...no signs of mechanical impact/peening inside the impeller housing

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Was that pump feeding standpipes, sprinklers, or both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
You should be able to analyze the cracks to tell how they were caused; there are always tell-tale signs (though the rust may make them difficult to spot now). I suspect casting defect and fatigue.