Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Francesca
Aug 15, 2005

his vocal chords were made of gold
he just looked a little too old
It's been one week and I haven't smoked yet. It's nice coming back from parties and not smelling like an ashtray. I can smell more things now, and it's really nice. I haven't had much trouble at all, just occasional cravings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Two months yesterday, the longest I've made it on a quit spell in 3 years.

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!
About 60 hours now, which may not seem much, unless you keep in mind that the longest I have gone without nicotine in the last 20 years was about half that. (I think I remember a day or two 10/15 years back, when I didn't have money and or smoking friends around).
It wasn't really a concious decision, but I'm in the hospital currently and I had my first 24 hours full just by the waiting time before and after some minor surgery and after that I thought, what the hell, I'm not dying of craving currently (which I usually do after no more than 2 hours since the last cigarette), let's see how far I can take this.
I'm just wondering how it will be, when I'm back home in my usual environment at the end of the week.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

I've been smoking a pack to a pack and a half a day for about 15 years. Today's my first day without a cigarette. gently caress. At the moment it's just a matter of crazy will power and distracting myself with mindless entertainment, even though my entire body is tense and I can't walk anywhere without pacing around.

Edit: poo poo, I already gained 40 pounds by switching jobs without changing anything else, but I live in an awesome mountain area and maybe if I can breathe easy I can get out and hike more often.

Georgia Peach fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 28, 2010

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
The cravings finally went away a couple days ago, took over two months. I still hang out with all my smoking friends and i don't even want a cigarette, i do love the smell though.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

Georgia Peach posted:

I've been smoking a pack to a pack and a half a day for about 15 years. Today's my first day without a cigarette. gently caress. At the moment it's just a matter of crazy will power and distracting myself with mindless entertainment, even though my entire body is tense and I can't walk anywhere without pacing around.

Stick it out. The next few days aren't going to be any easier. It's so worth it though.

Psychedelic
Jul 31, 2009

Getting in on this late.
January 28th is day 1 of being smokeless
booyaaaaaah
:derp:

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
Stay strong, new quitters! It can be done!

This is day 29 for me- cold turkey. Still haven't cheated once. I'm so proud of myself.

I have the willpower of an infant. If I can do this, so can you other goons! :colbert:

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
Six months today after going cold turkey. (After fifteen years of smoking.) Still going strong. The Allen Carr book helped a LOT.
Just regard the first week or so as being sick, I found drinking plenty of water and going to bed early helped a lot. As did going out to cycle for a mile every time I got a really bad craving (mostly after meals).
Also, you will cough up a truly terrifying amount of crap for a month or so.
It does get a hell of a lot easier though.

stuffing
May 9, 2007

its fraiser
14 months here. feels good man.

:420: helps

Mood
Apr 6, 2009
YMMV, but I've heard that dextromethorphan is useful in breaking certain addictions. I, personally, managed to break a pack-a-day habit after a high third plateau dose. Cigarettes went from being a must-have to something that completely disgust me.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Using the patch this time. They aren't kidding about the dreams.

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Toned down for your pleasure
Keep up the good work goons. Remember winners don't smoke. :c00l:

You
Oct 6, 2009
Day 27 without a smoke. I cheat by chewing gum, but at least that doesn't make me smell like poo poo.

The day that I was able to draw breath deeper than I've done in years was a magical experience. I don't regret quitting at all.

tona
Feb 23, 2006
Mandible
I'm not quitting at the moment, but I have gone through bouts of it before.

I heard one statistic that relapse is most likely in the first three months. Whenever I try to quit, I just keep telling myself that no matter how "easy" it feels, I haven't really quit until I hit 3 months. It helps me stay strong and not let my guard down.

But yeah, usually it's those "other" life factors that bring me back to smoking.
I encourage all you guys to quit. Best of luck.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
I used Chantix to quit. It only took like 2 weeks for me to quit. Been smokefree for 2 years now. I figure I have probably saved $6,000-7,000 so far.

Be strong GBS.

MattyRamone
May 4, 2009

Over 46 Million Followers
Last cigarette was 3 weeks, 4 hours, 1 minute, 39 seconds ago
I have not smoked 423 cigarettes
I have saved $95.17

Smoked a pack a day for 8 years, not including the nights out at the bar where I could easily crush a pack, quitting cold turkey.
It has not been easy, but it is worth it to get the sense of smell and taste back. All I have to say are that Doritos are loving amazing.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
One month today. :D

One housemate has since relapsed and quit again, another is back to occasionally smoking, me and my other housemate are still going strong. Even though she thinks I'm cheating by continuing to smoke joints rolled with tobacco. I feel great though.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but this is a goodie.

Last night I was browsing through some older GBS threads to avoid doing some nasty school assignments. Came across this one here and, after reading the first few pages, decided to kick the habit myself.

I have tried quitting a couple of times before. Got around the 5-week mark before I started questioning the benefits of quitting and started again. This time, though, I feel really stoked about this decision. So much so that I just had to register an SA account just for this. I wish I had had this thread back when I first tried to quit. There are some kick-rear end reasons not to start again right here.

Now, I have never been a heavy smoker. In a bar I can easily go through a pack and a half a night, but normally I only smoke just 10-ish a day. I am very ritualistic about smoking, however. Certain situations just demand a smoke, and the fact that I roll my own only adds to the ritual.

It's encouraging to hear that at least some of you get over the craving associated with certain situations. I'm really hoping I don't have to fight my waiting-for-the-bus, walking-anywhere, after-coffee and during-beer cravings till the end of my days.

I'm only on my first day of not smoking, which is not really any sort of a feat, since I might accidentally go almost two days without a ciggie. Still, I tried to tease myself as much as I could today. I drank coffee at home, bought a few beers (and intend to have one after typing this), and even went out to the balcony to accompany some friends who were smoking.

Anyway, I'm excited to see how this one turns out. I cherry-picked some of the best reasons not to smoke from this thread and wrote them on a piece of paper I intend to keep in my pocket at all times. So, thanks goons for starting me on this road again. It would be nice to hear how some of you are doing with your non-smoking.

tl;dr: this thread made me quit, would love to hear updates from you guys.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Haven't had a cigarette since March 6th. I don't usually smoke unless I'm drinking or stressing but I'm a complete fiend when I do smoke. It's been awhile and I haven't really been craving them but I also haven't been wasted since then either.

taint massage
Jun 13, 2008

We already run the misfits outta our country. We sent 'em back to England.
I just quit this morning. I've smoked half a pack to a pack a day for just under 14 years.

I'm going to go it cold turkey. I bought a bunch of tootsie roll pops to keep my hands and mouth busy, so hopefully that helps.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
I haven't had a cigarette in over three months. (I quit on January 4).

To be honest, it's been pretty easy. The first few days were a little weird and tense, but by the 10th day it became second nature to not smoke, and by the end of the first month I hardly thought about it.

These days, I find myself thinking about smoking perhaps once a week for about 20 seconds, but it's always vague. Less of an impulse and more of a sensation. I'm able to drink and get wasted on it without the thought of having a cigarette cross my mind. (And I'm someone who smoked and drank in bars for over 10 years).

For anyone considering quitting: if you're worried that you'll feel empty all the time, or that if you aren't smoking your life events won't be as meaningful, I have good news: the opposite seems to be the case.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

Mood posted:

YMMV, but I've heard that dextromethorphan is useful in breaking certain addictions. I, personally, managed to break a pack-a-day habit after a high third plateau dose. Cigarettes went from being a must-have to something that completely disgust me.

This is loving stupid, DXM can be very addictive in itself especially if you're substituting it for another addiction. Also it's a really disgusting and pathetic drug.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I've smoked for the last few years, typically a pack a day if not more. I switched to the e-cig for a bit but I relapsed into regular cigarettes again. One night I had a single cigarette left and was like, "well poo poo, if I don't wait to smoke this right before I try to sleep I'll have to walk to BP. Meh, maybe after this I just won't smoke anymore." Quit on March 29th and spent the next couple days reading this thread. It's been 2 weeks now and I haven't really had any bad cravings. For the first week I would kinda feel like having one but after that I've been totally clean with no cravings at all. This thread gave me a good portion of the motivation I needed to stay off cigarettes. Goons loving kick rear end.

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 12, 2010

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions
I've been quit for 7 days. 15 a day smoker since I was 13. Now 30. I've tried a few times but always headed straight back. I think it's because I use it do deal with anxiety issues and various other problems.

I picked up a little Coolpix a few weeks ago and have been taking photography breaks since. Ricola sugar free green tea lozenges seem to help. As well as mondo packs of Orbitz.

On generic Fred Meyer 21mg patches for another week then down to 15, etc.

I decided to quit because 1. I'd like to have my body eventually become a host for something other than colds and 2. I'm asthmatic, 3. I'd like to get in to shape eventually without causing yet more colds.

The cravings are gradually going away. The first 3 days were the hardest. But know what's nice? I'm on a train to Seattle right now and only a few times have had the desperate urge to smoke. It means I can focus on other ways to pass the time that aren't so passive.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions

Georgia Peach posted:

Using the patch this time. They aren't kidding about the dreams.

Yeah, I take mine off at night. The first time I quit with patches I don't think I slept properly for the first week. Now I take them off 1-2 hours before I go to bed and put it on first thing in the morning. It makes a world of difference.

BeatSetRadio
Dec 5, 2004

Hey Sandy! Do you want to listen to some indie music with me? Perhaps we can read Pitchfork together?
I've been contemplating quitting for the past week now. I had three cigarettes today but they're going to be my last. I'm going to do it this time! I've tried way too many times but I'm pretty determined now. The hardest part is going to be the usual cravings when driving, after a meal, and drinking.

ninja edit: I'm going to go cold turkey

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

When we have more time, I'll acquaint you with the various processes of sculptoring. It's a fascinating art to which I devoted many hours of study.
Quit my 4-year habbit on January 17th, except a couple of cigs when I was drunk. Doesn't count though, it was only once or twice.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I haven't had a cig since January 4th (2010). I don't even think about it anymore, and don't even mind when people around me smoke. I dream about it a lot though. At least once a week I'll have a dream about relaxing with a cig, only to think "poo poo! I quit! I shouldn't be doing this." and then I wake up and am relieved that it was just dream.

Santos L. Halper
Jul 31, 2009

It's been 23 days smoke free for me today. I didn't really have any physical withdrawal initially but I find myself being pissed off a lot lately. In a matter of microseconds I will have the thought that I can smoke a cigarette, realize I can't, and then get furious with myself. I really hope this goes away soon, I'm sick of being loving pissed off.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I went hiking this weekend, and to my surprise, I could barely do it. It wasn't a very difficult trail, but man it felt like I was asthmatic getting up that mountain.

Bye bye cigarettes! 2 days so far.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
It's been a month or so since I quit buying. For the most part I don't smoke, unless I get around certain friends. I smoke with them but I never pick it back up, which is a huge loving step (Not smoking around them will be harder, but I only see them every other week or so).

Yesterday though I was with a friend doing some work for my mom, and smoked about 7. I could not loving breathe, at all. I think it's about time to quit being a pussy and take that next step and just not smoke at all. I still haven't had a good drinking session to test that, but we'll see.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Are there any ex-smokers out there who chained as much as I do? Does quantity of cigarettes smoked affect the difficulty of quitting?

I've been smoking for about 10 years and, unfortunately, have become a heavy smoker. Probably about 30-40 a day. I've tried quitting many times but have failed consistently as I find that when I go for more than 1-2 hours without a smoke I get an intense 'crawling' feeling in my forerms and become extremely agitated and start to freak out something rotten. I just can't seem to give the loving things up, even though they are ruining my health. :smith:

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it
I'm pretty young (20) and have only been smoking for a year or so, maybe 8-10 cigarettes a day. More on the weekends. So it has not been that hard for me but I stopped cold turkey almost a month ago. The only thing I miss is smoking when I drive and smoking during smoke breaks (work and school). To remedy this I have been buying these tiny cheap cigars(If I inhale the disgusting taste and nausea are punishment enough), that way I can still feel like a mothafuckah when I drive or at work and am not gasping for air or hocking up stew each morning. Eventually I'm sure I'll just drop the little cigars all together and be smoke free. Yes, :420: helps a whole lot, I just started vaporizing and doubt I'll ever go back.

FiNDeR3690
Mar 10, 2008

I'm gonna creep inside you like a warm kitten!
I am going to be the Nth person to say that the Allen Carr book works like a charm. I was a 1-2 pack a day smoker for 4 years and haven't touched one since I finished the book. I literally smoked my last cigarette about a minute after reading the last page of the book and now I haven't had a butt in around 8 months. It was also way easier once I had read the book than the 4-5 other attempts I made through the years. I stand by this method 1000%.

DementedMax
Nov 30, 2005
I keeps tabs on my websites
Quit a month ago and now I can jog 5+mph for 15 consecutive minutes. Before it was about 5 minutes...

[EDIT]
Also, American Spirits are the easiest cigarettes to put down.

Also, I quit cold turkey.

[NE]

Cromulent posted:

:words: I dream about it a lot though. At least once a week I'll have a dream about relaxing with a cig, only to think "poo poo! I quit! I shouldn't be doing this." and then I wake up and am relieved that it was just dream.

Someone else has this! This happens to me all the time. What the hell! Usually it's when I'm doing really well at not smoking. When I don't have this dream I relapse.

DementedMax fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 13, 2010

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Gothmog1065 posted:

It's been a month or so since I quit buying. For the most part I don't smoke, unless I get around certain friends. I smoke with them but I never pick it back up, which is a huge loving step (Not smoking around them will be harder, but I only see them every other week or so).

Yesterday though I was with a friend doing some work for my mom, and smoked about 7. I could not loving breathe, at all. I think it's about time to quit being a pussy and take that next step and just not smoke at all. I still haven't had a good drinking session to test that, but we'll see.

My husband told me that my breathing at night is better. Apparently when he couldn't sleep he would count my breathes. 4 of mine for every one of his. :( He didn't tell me because he didn't want to nag.

You can do it goon :)

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

FiNDeR3690 posted:

I am going to be the Nth person to say that the Allen Carr book works like a charm. I was a 1-2 pack a day smoker for 4 years and haven't touched one since I finished the book. I literally smoked my last cigarette about a minute after reading the last page of the book and now I haven't had a butt in around 8 months. It was also way easier once I had read the book than the 4-5 other attempts I made through the years. I stand by this method 1000%.

Aghhhh, I wish it had worked for me. But I let myself get annoyed by the tone of the book about 3/4 through. By the end I was wanting it not to work because I hated him so much.

But then, I probably didn't actually want to quit :).

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Zero since January 1st, though I've hit the occasional hookah. Being able to jog a few blocks to catch the bus without getting winded is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
I'm in. Had my last one 26 hours ago. 22 years, 1.5 packs a day, quit twice before for maybe 3 months max. Doing cold turkey/Carr even though, yes, he reads like a used car salesman. Snapped once at my co-worker, but kept headphones on for the rest of the day. Feel like I'm wearing a space helmet, but other than that I've been able to handle cravings rationally.

• Locked thread