Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Sole.Sushi posted:

Well, I was going to paint tonight, but I ate a double down instead THANKS KFC :argh:

You fool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
Enjoy your heart attack!

The only way a warham will go.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Morning posted:

Enjoy your heart attack!

The only way a warham will go.

Honestly, I don't think it's my heart that will give out first: I've never had anything so swiftly make me feel irregular, and to such a degree. I literally felt like my bowels were being impacted as I digested it.

Never. Again.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Mostly airbrush related video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh5Hb1hq07M

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Feeple posted:

Anyone know of a web retailer who can sell me some Hell Dorado models? All I can find is poo poo in French, and I went to Japanese class instead at school.

I seriosuly need to get my hands on some of those bad rear end motherfuckers.

EDIT: WHO WANTS SOME BOOOOOOOOBS?!
https://cipher-studios.com/store/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=419&zenid=28ba88ed8cbc7076f723cec8189fe144

http://www.the13thfloor.co.uk/ is a good site, although they seem to be out of stock right now.

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
completed my farseer

ended up darkening the bit where the flame joins the hand and lightening the hand a bit too to make them more distinct. Wanted to do some freehand on the front of the bike but theres not much room having to work around the rune to do a big centralised thing and i'm not too confident of my ability to pull off a symmetrical pattern so i'll leave it blank and do a white painted rune of some kind on the warlocks jetbikes in the same place so they look like they match the seer

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Sole.Sushi posted:

Honestly, I don't think it's my heart that will give out first: I've never had anything so swiftly make me feel irregular, and to such a degree. I literally felt like my bowels were being impacted as I digested it.

Never. Again.

And the funny thing is that as far as fast food goes it's not nearly as terrible as a big mac. :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yog-Sothoth posted:

completed my farseer

:golfclap:

Very nice save on the flame colour, smooth work overall.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
When I was like 9 I thought red and blue was the coolest color combination but now it's just eye-searing to me, so no matter how awesome that seer might be(and it is), the colors ruin it for me. :(

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
To be fair it's a lighter blue and a sort of orange red.

Owithey
Aug 16, 2009
I had a go basing my Tau, miliput, static grass, and Tamiya sand weathering stick. I'm not sure whether I should have painted the stone or not.

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

Also a couple of WIP AOBR marines. Still need to finish the bolters and clean them up a bit. Painting them as Blood Angels but trying for a slightly darker red, more like Flesh Tearer red.

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

I still can't seem to paint eyes, I either do the dark wash over the whole eye socket, which seems to lack something, or end up with googly eyed marines.

Nice work on the Farseer Yog. Whenever I try to greenstuff something it looks like a 3 year old has thrown play-doh at.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

Yog-Sothoth posted:

completed my farseer

Real men steer with their knees

(awesome job)

Crossposting, click for big

Can anyone think of a way to reliably cut very neat circles in transfer paper? I'd like a way to put this on their shoulder pads but it's going to need to be in a white circle or something since I don't think black will stand out enough.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Mostly airbrush related video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh5Hb1hq07M

this is a great vid

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Myopic posted:

Real men steer with their knees

(awesome job)

Crossposting, click for big

Can anyone think of a way to reliably cut very neat circles in transfer paper? I'd like a way to put this on their shoulder pads but it's going to need to be in a white circle or something since I don't think black will stand out enough.

Look to your local craft store's scrap-booking section, you just need to find a cutter that can do circles that small. Failing that try finding a leather punch that is big enough. Also, that Olfa (I think) cutter that someone here uses wouldn't do, it leaves a pinhole in the middle and apparently can't cut tiny circles well.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
So i recently got a HE battalion, put together the Silver Helms last night with a few minor mods, and probably gonna do the spearmen tonight. Though i've got a problem with the bolt thrower. There's all these cool looking gubbins on the sprue that i'd love to put onto one big base i'm just not sure where to get a decent sized plastic base from.

The large oval ones are sold out on GW's site and i dont think the 40mm square base would be big enough to hold the mini-diorama-rama you could make from all the spare bits on that sprue.

Any ideas UK goons?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

^^^ 60mm base? (i.e. dreadnought sized)

Myopic posted:

Can anyone think of a way to reliably cut very neat circles in transfer paper?

I know Cakefool has a groovy circular cutter, think compass with a blade instead of a pencil and you're set. Failing that, break out the scissors and take your time :)

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

enri posted:

^^^ 60mm base? (i.e. dreadnought sized)

I know Cakefool has a groovy circular cutter, think compass with a blade instead of a pencil and you're set. Failing that, break out the scissors and take your time :)

Ha, completely missed those. I'm not a 40k player so didn't know such a thing existed.

Thanks.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Myopic posted:

SPAAAACE SHAAARKS!!

Those are drat nice. One might even say they're jawesome :coolfish:
The bone bolters are unusual, but they really stand out on the models.

I don't use decals, but I can tell you from experience that the other chapter symbol is actually pretty easy to freehand if you want to go that way.

Also it's way cooler. Just sayin' :v:

(AFAIK the one you've got there is supposed to be for vehicles, if you care about that sort of thing)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Yog-Sothoth posted:

Hit the back with a few thin washes of bleached bone/white (1 part bleached bone + 2 parts glaze medium + 6-8 parts water), it will help blend the shading into the cloak.

Also with fire (and the colour red in general) I've found that highlighting up to pure yellow before shifting to white (Red -> Orange -> Yellow -> White) is better that going Red -> Orange -> White or Red -> Pink -> White.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

enri posted:

Yeah I remember him mentioning something like that, but didn't he say something about it not handling very small things well? I can't imagine any transfer I'd make being more than about 6mm across, is a 3mm radius too small for your circle making thingy Cakefool? Also I think I'd go mad trying to cut out tiny circles with scissors, I barely have the patience required for this hobby as is :v:

Indolent Bastard posted:

Look to your local craft store's scrap-booking section, you just need to find a cutter that can do circles that small. Failing that try finding a leather punch that is big enough. Also, that Olfa (I think) cutter that someone here uses wouldn't do, it leaves a pinhole in the middle and apparently can't cut tiny circles well.

Thanks. I thought about leather punches, do you think they'd keep the edges nice and neat?

Ripper Swarm posted:

Those are drat nice. One might even say they're jawesome :coolfish:
The bone bolters are unusual, but they really stand out on the models.

I don't use decals, but I can tell you from experience that the other chapter symbol is actually pretty easy to freehand if you want to go that way.

Also it's way cooler. Just sayin' :v:

Thanks. I actually only went with bone because I'm too blind/retarded to figure out what kind of tint the grey had (bluish I think, looking at the pictures) and so couldn't figure what colour would go with it. Went with a neutral one to be safe :downs: Turned out alright in the end though yeah

quote:

(AFAIK the one you've got there is supposed to be for vehicles, if you care about that sort of thing)

Are they? Had no idea. I just want something that isn't the original grinning fat shark :) No way in hell am I freehanding the army insignia, I'd never get it consistent enough for my liking and I'd end up getting frustrated and giving up with the whole idea (sooner than I will anyway I mean :v: )

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Myopic posted:

Thanks. I thought about leather punches, do you think they'd keep the edges nice and neat?

I use a leather puncher, and it can punch holes in up to 2mm sheet styrene with no issues. The edges are very neat and straight, though it can be a bitch to dig the circles out of the punch if you're punching thick styrene.

Also it doesn't do very well if there is not a lot of material around the area to be punched. I.e. you have a circle 10mm in diameter and you want to punch a 8mm diameter hole in the middle of it. The punch does distort the material a little, so the remnant might be a little crooked.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Myopic posted:

Yeah I remember him mentioning something like that, but didn't he say something about it not handling very small things well? I can't imagine any transfer I'd make being more than about 6mm across, is a 3mm radius too small for your circle making thingy Cakefool? Also I think I'd go mad trying to cut out tiny circles with scissors, I barely have the patience required for this hobby as is :v:

It would probably work ok for transfer paper, but as Z the IVth says, a leather punch would be better - just take your time centering it.

I need a leather punch.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

:smug: (it's a small cutting machine)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bistromatic posted:

Saw this the other day for like £229. I sat & tried to figure out how many scratchbuilt vehicles I'd need to make from it to make it's money back.

Also, couldn't find out how thick plasticard it'd be able to cut.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I've got a leather punch from years ago, but it got dropped some time back and a few of the different punches on it are dented so it can't make perfect circles in those sizes. Unfortunate, since those are the sizes that look most useful.

Bistromatic posted:

I've always wondered if you could just feed these things designs, because I know one particularly popular brand uses pre-designed shapes on cartridges. If I could just plug this thing into a PC and feed it plasticard, well that would change everything.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Fix posted:

I've got a leather punch from years ago, but it got dropped some time back and a few of the different punches on it are dented so it can't make perfect circles in those sizes. Unfortunate, since those are the sizes that look most useful.

I've always wondered if you could just feed these things designs, because I know one particularly popular brand uses pre-designed shapes on cartridges. If I could just plug this thing into a PC and feed it plasticard, well that would change everything.

My wife has one - it's pretty cool, but I doubt it would cut anything past the thinnest possible plasticard. Works great on paper though. Never though about using it for minis but she got it after I sold off all my WH poo poo.

EDIT: Different brand, but same thing basically:

quote:

What materials can the Silhouette cut?
Printer Friendly Version Print
The Silhouette is designed to cut film materials (such as vinyl), paper and cardstock materials (up to 90 lb weight), and can cut up to a thickness of 0.3 mm. The Silhouette will cut patterned paper, most cardstock, vellum, iron-on transfer paper, vinyl, overhead transparency film, and sticker paper among other materials. Individual results may vary.

NOTE: Certain materials that are more dense (such as shrink plastic, crafting foam, chipboard) or fibrous in nature (such as fabric) cannot be cut by the Silhouette, even if they fit within the thickness range noted above. You should never attempt to cut multiple layers of material at the same time.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 14, 2010

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Crackbone posted:

My wife has one - it's pretty cool, but I doubt it would cut anything past the thinnest possible plasticard. Works great on paper though. Never though about using it for minis but she got it after I sold off all my WH poo poo.

What do you have to do to change the blades? I imagine that you wouldn't even really have to fully cut the plasticard, only score it in most cases. Either that or run up a couple layers of cardstock.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

Fix posted:

Cricut is the one that makes you buy cartridges, last I checked the Craft Robo lets you make your own designs.

Cricut is a piece of junk.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Fix posted:

What do you have to do to change the blades? I imagine that you wouldn't even really have to fully cut the plasticard, only score it in most cases. Either that or run up a couple layers of cardstock.

The one my wife has comes with 2 or 3 blades of different thicknesses - it's mounted in a plastic casing that's the size of a AA battery, and you put in in and "lock" it into the holder. So it's pretty trivial.

Issues I can think of:

1. I don't think there's enough downward pressure on the blade to "score" thicker pieces of plasticard, since it's not designed for that kind of resistance.

2. The material has to "attach" itself to a sticky backing sheet to hold it, so heavier plasticard probably would not stay in place during the cutting.

3. The cutter software sucks rear end. I know so much about the thing because I ended up having to do most of the work for my wife, by finding stuff, converting it to Illustrator files, and then dropping it into the software.

All that being said - if I have some of the paper-thin plasticard left, I could try a test run with it. Anybody have some requests/ideas on what they'd want made?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Crackbone posted:

All that being said - if I have some of the paper-thin plasticard left, I could try a test run with it. Anybody have some requests/ideas on what they'd want made?

Imperator Titan. Go big or go home :colbert:

(Anything from the golden bolter papercraft collection, how about an old land raider?)

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

Thanks guys, I'll look into buying a leather punch then.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Looking to paint some two colour desert camo IG. Colours roughly like British desert DPM, maybe with a bit more contrast so it doesn't look like a messy paintjob in 28mm with my hamfisted skills.

Am I best off:

1] painting figure in the lighter khaki colour, slapping on some gryphonne sepia, highlighting the khaki and then painting the darker brown patches

or

2] painting figure in the lighter khaki colour, adding the darker patches then washing it and highlighting both.

Edit:

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I need this and I've not even assembled the Smog miniatures I've already got.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 14, 2010

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Edit:

I need this and I've not even assembled the Smog miniatures I've already got.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
ok, I hate to ask it, since I know I have it but cant find it- does anyone have the sheet where it lists the ratios of paint for each citadel color?

Like say- 1:1 regal blue and scab red= x purple

Its rather urgent :ohdear:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Started painting my diorama tonight, and it makes me want to reiterate.

GodDAMN ork plastics are awesome.

That is all.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
reaper minis!? commish stuff

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax
really nice.

and one step closer to my commission :toot:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Well folks, I have some good news, and some bad news.

Bad News: Your pal, Sole.Sushi, might be a flaming homo. :gay:
:v: "Yeah, what else is new, you ponce?"
Well, that leads into the good news...

Ultrasonic Jewelery Cleaners. Fill them with Simple Green or LA's or whatever the hell kind of cleaner you want. Drop your minis into it. Suddenly, your overnight soak takes a fraction of the time.

Added bonus: really awesome for cleaning airbrush equipment.
You can get one on the cheap for 25 bucks at Wal-Mart.

:v: "That sounds awesome, Sole! How do I get one without looking like a flaming homo?"
Well, do you have a wife? Live-in girlfriend? Do you live with your mother? If you answered yes to any of these questions, buy it for "them." That way, you look awesome for wanting to make sure that her precious things are taken care of, while you selfishly use it for yourself!
Or, if you are a woman, skip the preface bullshit and go straight to the selfish!

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
Dude. . . you awesome painting goons have ruined my tastes in shittily painted miniatures:

http://teamcovenant.com/04/14/2010/moncon-exclusives-custom-repaints/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
So, I think I've decided on a paint scheme for my Trollblood army for Hordes. Now, I haven't painted before, so this is going to be frustrating as hell, but here I go.

I wanted a very paint yellow/brown/white combination. Like a nation of desert-ish albinos or something. I figured I'd make the head quills a deep green (or maybe Cryx green), and the tartans a deep brown with a red highlight. For all metal, I wanted to mix Citadel's Mithril Silver with a bit of red to make a blood iron type of metal. I want the skin to be decidedly pale, that way the rocks/flame/frost of the warbeasts stand out even more.

So, I was looking around and found some people had already used a fairly similar paint scheme.

Sunshine Trolls: http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?t=63&highlight=trollblood

http://blog.brushthralls.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/tr_nq_bf_impaler_03.jpg

Now, I want mine a bit more pale than these, but it's a good start, and it tells me they'll definitely look good when finished (or would, if I had actual skill at this).

I figure my idea is to base coat with Skull White, then use P3's Yellow Ink to wash the flesh. After that, do I start mixing Bleached Bone with Sulphuric Yellow until I get the right tones? I have the idea, but I really have no idea how to mix the paint.

• Locked thread