Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'd like to contest your statements about Zolof sir

Rachel did She Has a Girlfriend Now on the RBF dvd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Josh Wow posted:

Taj is leaving for a northeast tour in like 2 days, so if you're close to one of our shows come on out:
Come to Baltimore :(

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

Do the south, play Chapel Hill, do it before June

You bastards keep playing Syracuse when I'm out of town, last time I was in basic training

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

guppy posted:

Why do all the ska bands go to the Rector and not to Ottobar? Or in really lovely cases Rams Head

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
hahahahaha @ this guy saying the btmi! pike street / park slope is better than the original.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

Taj is leaving for a northeast tour in like 2 days

Why do you skip Pennsylvania? The Amish need ska-lovin' too!

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

guppy posted:

I tried like a motherfucker to get Baltimore for the Thursday going up and I couldn't get anything set up. Sidebar was booked, and none of the bands I hit up could help us set something up for that night.

mix.lunar posted:

Why do you skip Pennsylvania? The Amish need ska-lovin' too!

I tried to book shows in Harrisburg, Lancaster, Scranton and Philly. Couldn't get anything for any of them on the nights we needed.

It is a real pain in the rear end to book anything that isn't a Friday/Saturday, and to a lesser extent Thur/Sun. Chances are for smaller bands they do actually want to come to your town, but it's hard to get shows. poo poo we don't even have a drat Jersey show, and Jersey loves us. Our Jersey show fell through and we couldn't book another one cause Streetlight is playing the night we were gonna have ours and that'd just be stupid to try and compete with them.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Sugar Blaster posted:

hahahahaha @ this guy saying the btmi! pike street / park slope is better than the original.

everything jeff rosenstock touches turns to gold so well there you go

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

aricoarena posted:

Why do all the ska bands go to the Rector and not to Ottobar? Or in really lovely cases Rams Head
I dunno, I like the Ottobar better too. The Recher's gotten a lot better over the years though and I don't hate it anymore.

Josh Wow posted:

I tried like a motherfucker to get Baltimore for the Thursday going up and I couldn't get anything set up. Sidebar was booked, and none of the bands I hit up could help us set something up for that night.
Aww :( Well, thanks for trying.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

I tried to book shows in Harrisburg, Lancaster, Scranton and Philly. Couldn't get anything for any of them on the nights we needed.

drat, well, thanks for trying man.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Just in case no one knew about it, The Specials will be performing on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon tonight.

Bonus on-set rehearsal photo courtesy of Twitter: http://twitpic.com/1fclxt

EDIT:

Unaired performance of Little Bitch is online -

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/exclusive-online-performance-the-specials-41310/1218678/

interpunct fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 14, 2010

Mr Crumbbley
Jun 5, 2007
I don't get why Strictly Rude gets hated on so much. I mean, sure it is vastly different from How it Goes, but I think the direction they took their music shouldn't be disregarded so quick.

It isn't a traditional ska album by no means, and the songs on the album that do stay true to a ska background lead off to their new direction pretty nicely. Yeah, they have all their horns still, they're just starting to use them in a not-very-ska-like manner.

You could say they turned the dub influence up a little too much with the mixing, but I think it really adds to the album. It's some ska-dub transcending genre, that really isn't being aimed at kids as a real ska album. It isn't a real ska album at all. I mean, I'd say Big D is beginning to move past ska and move into some real interesting sounds.

I think people just go into the CD expecting some classic 3rd wave ska, and when they don't hear it, they just dismiss it immediately and never give it a deserved chance. Personally, I've liked Big D more and more with all their releases after How it Goes, and I don't get why people hate Big D's new sound so much.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

People listen to bands because they like their sound and style, so when you change that you're obviously going to piss off a lot of your fanbase. You can argue that it's such a good album in the style of whateverthefuck but maybe I don't like whateverthefuck in the first place. Maybe I like lovely ska punk with a band singer, so if their new album doesn't give me that I think it's lovely. The Bosstones could put out the best dub album the world has ever known, and I would burn an effigy of Dicky Barret because I hate it so much. Sure it's the best dub album in the world, but dub sucks so it's still crap.

This is Unsavory
Feb 14, 2009

Mr Crumbbley posted:

I don't get why Strictly Rude gets hated on so much. I mean, sure it is vastly different from How it Goes, but I think the direction they took their music shouldn't be disregarded so quick.

Seriously. Strictly Rude isn't a bad album. I love that album. The only tracks on it that are kinda lackluster are "Deadpan" and "Relocate the Beat." But the rest is great. I also don't get the hate on Fluent in Stroll either. That album has some drat catchy songs, too. Just because a band tries something different doesn't always mean it's bad.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mr Crumbbley posted:

It isn't a traditional ska album by no means, and the songs on the album that do stay true to a ska background lead off to their new direction pretty nicely. Yeah, they have all their horns still, they're just starting to use them in a not-very-ska-like manner.

You could say they turned the dub influence up a little too much with the mixing, but I think it really adds to the album. It's some ska-dub transcending genre, that really isn't being aimed at kids as a real ska album. It isn't a real ska album at all. I mean, I'd say Big D is beginning to move past ska and move into some real interesting sounds.

I think people just go into the CD expecting some classic 3rd wave ska, and when they don't hear it, they just dismiss it immediately and never give it a deserved chance. Personally, I've liked Big D more and more with all their releases after How it Goes, and I don't get why people hate Big D's new sound so much.
What the gently caress

The reason that I hate it is because they were deliberately trying to make a ska record FOR THE KIDS instead of just doing their own thing and the whole thing is an unoriginal boring piece of poo poo. Any time a band does an album under the auspice of "We need to get back to doing the ska that the kids love" they force it badly and it's shallow as gently caress. That's why Reel Big Fish has pretty much driven themselves into a ditch. The polar opposite of that is RX Bandits, who said "gently caress you we're making whatever music we want to make" and they have flourished for it.

Also the dub that Big D makes is loving awful white boy dub. They should not be doing dub music ever.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

i'm pretty sure Fluent In Stroll is big d's "gently caress you we make whatever music we want"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

not a dinosaur posted:

i'm pretty sure Fluent In Stroll is big d's "gently caress you we make whatever music we want"
Oh I'm fine with that. I mean I don't like it, but I'm glad they at least tried something new. Maybe they can refine it and make a better album the next time around. I don't know that I'll ever buy the "stroll is a new genre!" sales pitch, though.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Mr Crumbbley posted:

I don't get why Strictly Rude gets hated on so much.

Lyrics and singing are loving terrible. If it was an intramental it would be a 100 times better.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

interpunct posted:

Just in case no one knew about it, The Specials will be performing on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon tonight.

Bonus on-set rehearsal photo courtesy of Twitter: http://twitpic.com/1fclxt

EDIT:

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/exclusive-online-performance-the-specials-41310/1218678/

This was great. I had to suffer through an hour of Kelly Ripa and Eric Stonestreet, but it was worth it to see them and the bonus video.

I'm gonna try to rally for the show on the 20th, are other people going?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Josh Wow posted:

People listen to bands because they like their sound and style, so when you change that you're obviously going to piss off a lot of your fanbase. You can argue that it's such a good album in the style of whateverthefuck but maybe I don't like whateverthefuck in the first place. Maybe I like lovely ska punk with a band singer, so if their new album doesn't give me that I think it's lovely. The Bosstones could put out the best dub album the world has ever known, and I would burn an effigy of Dicky Barret because I hate it so much. Sure it's the best dub album in the world, but dub sucks so it's still crap.

Seriously you need to do a Syracuse show when I'm actually in town so I can hi5 you for this

Mr Crumbbley
Jun 5, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

What the gently caress

The reason that I hate it is because they were deliberately trying to make a ska record FOR THE KIDS instead of just doing their own thing and the whole thing is an unoriginal boring piece of poo poo. Any time a band does an album under the auspice of "We need to get back to doing the ska that the kids love" they force it badly and it's shallow as gently caress. That's why Reel Big Fish has pretty much driven themselves into a ditch. The polar opposite of that is RX Bandits, who said "gently caress you we're making whatever music we want to make" and they have flourished for it.

Also the dub that Big D makes is loving awful white boy dub. They should not be doing dub music ever.
But how is Strictly Rude a ska album FOR THE KIDS? They didn't get back to doing the ska, they did the complete opposite and pretty much left it. I don't get why you think Strictly Rude is some sell-out-our-sound to profit album. Reel Big Fish drove themselves into a ditch doing exactly what you're talking about, but not Big D. I don't see how this album is not original, if it isn't, can you point me to a band that does the same sound?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just about a month since it's release now, and I've still yet to receive my 99SOR vinyl. Sent the RISC store a wtf email. Has anyone else not received their poo poo?

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
I got my LP in march, it came with a sticker. I don't know how far in advance it was pre-ordered though.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

This is the email I got back from them:

PLEASE READ: We're currently overhauling the entire store, which included hiring new staff and setting up a proper customer service department and in general upgrading the entire RISC store order process. We're in the process of expanding and getting things running properly so please bear with us for a few more days. There is a slight delay on new orders for the next week while we catch up with the recent boom in orders and correct mistakes that were made. If you've yet to receive an order you placed more than a few days ago, we will have a phone number up in the next few days and will be caught up with all correspondence by April 16th. Thanks for supporting us in this time of transition.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
Back when I ordered my BOTAR sweatshirt it took at least 3 months and I had forgotten I ordered it until they sent an email saying sorry we were on tour and nothing got done. That was back before the Keasby Knights cover album. It seems like things should be running smoother by now.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

interpunct posted:

Forgot to check this out. Wish they played this on air.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

interpunct posted:

What an odd performance. Most of the band seems to be rocking out and having a blast, except for the lead singer, who looks very "ugh loving whatever" and as if he'd rather be anywhere but there.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

guppy posted:

What an odd performance. Most of the band seems to be rocking out and having a blast, except for the lead singer, who looks very "ugh loving whatever" and as if he'd rather be anywhere but there.

Maybe he's waiting for the Fun Boy Three reunion.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Terry Hall isn't really known for his diverse range of facial expressions.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

lessthankyle posted:

Terry Hall isn't really known for his diverse range of facial expressions.

Dude also suffers from bipolar disorder and attempted suicide a few years back. It's nice to see that most of the band is as exuberant as they were 30 years ago, though. They were a really energetic live band back then: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP-0MIs_Jjk

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

It's really cool seeing them play 30 years later and they still sound great, but I'm still not sure how I feel about them getting back together without Jerry Dammers. It's kinda like the Dead Kennedys touring without Jello Biafra.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Miscellaneous_T posted:

It's kinda like the Dead Kennedys touring without Jello Biafra.

So it's like going to live karaoke?

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Well okay, I guess it's not as bad as that, but they're still going around playing someone else's songs.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

interpunct posted:

Dude also suffers from bipolar disorder and attempted suicide a few years back. It's nice to see that most of the band is as exuberant as they were 30 years ago, though. They were a really energetic live band back then: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP-0MIs_Jjk

It's always been kinda neat to watch their videos and see them dancing around while he normally remains pretty calm.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

4point0 played at my school last night. They were loving awesome. I encourage you all to see them. I skanked more than I've ever skanked before in my life. Mostly cause I'm a poser.

Then we partied all night. Good times!

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Our NY show last night sucked, but we met Kramer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z15Q3D4Nh9I

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Thornes posted:

4point0 played at my school last night. They were loving awesome. I encourage you all to see them. I skanked more than I've ever skanked before in my life. Mostly cause I'm a poser.

Then we partied all night. Good times!

I sitll have a hard time picturing some of thsoe guys partying

Well, not really "some", mostly just Garrett.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Dickeye posted:

I sitll have a hard time picturing some of thsoe guys partying

Well, not really "some", mostly just Garrett.

I don't think he partied too hard. Not as hard as some of the others, anyway.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Thornes posted:

I don't think he partied too hard. Not as hard as some of the others, anyway.

Yeah that sounds about right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I was going to go see The Specials tomorrow night in Toronto, but it's been postponed due to a medical emergency. I hope they're okay :ohdear: