Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Godzilla07 posted:

Smartphone platforms that are relevant have Pandora. :smug:

I think there's a Pandora S60 app.

Gerudo Rivera posted:

mobbler is spectacular. also i have just discovered these ""pod cast" things and i wonder how i ever did 45 minutes of cardio without them. even though i am starting to suspect the built in podcast app is pretty inferior (no listing for Radiolab or This American Life?? what the hell nokia

The directory is pretty rubbish. Pretty much all the podcasts I listen to have been manually inputted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

corpsed posted:

I've owned the most S60 phones out of every single goon on SA

I don't know about that... ;)

My must-have app is Gravity, with JoikuSpot a close second for getting my iTouch online anywhere.

Other worthwhile apps:
Handy Weather
Opera Mobile
Ovi Maps, but that's built in these days
Sports Tracker
Spotify (if your country supports it)
Y-Browser

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"

SFrost007 posted:

corpsed posted:

I've owned the most S60 phones out of every single goon on SA
I don't know about that... ;)

Do you wish to challenge my reign as S60 queen of most-handsets-owned?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Dr Tran posted:

I think there's a Pandora S60 app.
I'm probably wrong here, was thinking of Spotify.

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

I'm probably wrong here, was thinking of Spotify.

I'm pretty sure there is a Pandora app, just not one that's officially supported by Pandora itself.

edit: Back in 2008, Pandora would not work with Flash-compatible S60 browsers. It's 2010 now, so maybe things have changed. Can you guys try using the stock Webkit browser or perhaps the Skyfire browser to see if Pandora works natively in those?

I'm leaning toward getting an N97 mini now.

EssEssEssErr fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 9, 2010

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

corpsed posted:

Can you guys try using the stock Webkit browser or perhaps the Skyfire browser to see if Pandora works natively in those?
In the native browser I get a message saying the device isn't supported, in Opera I get booted out because I live in the UK. I'm not sure that supports Flash anyway though, so maybe a moot point.

corpsed posted:

Do you wish to challenge my reign as S60 queen of most-handsets-owned?
Hmm.. I own 6 (N73, 6110 Navi, N82, E75, N86, N97) but there's probably not an S60 handset in the last 3 years I haven't had extended use of. I probably have an unfair advantage through work though ;)

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

SFrost007 posted:

In the native browser I get a message saying the device isn't supported, in Opera I get booted out because I live in the UK. I'm not sure that supports Flash anyway though, so maybe a moot point.

Hmm.. I own 6 (N73, 6110 Navi, N82, E75, N86, N97) but there's probably not an S60 handset in the last 3 years I haven't had extended use of. I probably have an unfair advantage through work though ;)

Pft, I'm talking about S60 phones I've owned, not used. I've owned more than 6! :cheers:

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Addicted to cheap phone OSes.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

When did opera mobile (as in not the mini version) become free?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
E5, C3 and C6 announced.

Nothing exciting.

Here's some links
C3: (oh hey, this one is S40)
http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/04/13/nokia-c3-launches/

C6: (A $300 N97)
http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/04/13/nokia-c6-unveiled/

E5: ($250 E72 with less buttons and a better homescreen)
http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/04/13/nokia-e5-revealed/

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 13, 2010

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Dr Tran posted:

E5: ($250 E72 with less buttons and a better homescreen)
http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/04/13/nokia-e5-revealed/

Holy Jesus, 29 days of standby, and 18.5 hours of talk time? Omitted from the article are Wifi and GPS - any idea if they're included? If so, I might have a new contender for my next phone.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Civil posted:

Holy Jesus, 29 days of standby, and 18.5 hours of talk time? Omitted from the article are Wifi and GPS - any idea if they're included? If so, I might have a new contender for my next phone.
http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/E5-00/
256mb of ram as well

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Dr Tran posted:

C6: (A $300 N97)

Is that a good thing or just that it's nothing new (other than the price)?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I don't know how things are in the states, but the N97 goes for around $5-600 here, so yeah, that's good.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what do y'all use for threaded SMS? Is iSMS-free business edition worth the 12 bucks or sO?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Peven Stan posted:

what do y'all use for threaded SMS? Is iSMS-free business edition worth the 12 bucks or sO?

http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/conversation

I'm using this on my n82 and it's terrific.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I use ThreadSMS, though there's no way to disable the Nokia built-in message popup. :(

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Nokia Conversation never worked properly on my N86, and apparently Nokia is aware of the problem but hasn't bothered to fix it.

I haven't tried freeiSMS "business edition", but the free version is delightful after you go through the trouble of signing it. If the pay version comes pre-signed, it's definitely worth 12

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Welp, I bought the "business edition" and I have to say it's pretty pro. If you can get past the fact that you have to buy it on paypal from some guy in China with pretty broke English it works better than the latest free version, which is 1.08.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

I have a UPnP AV capable NAS that I use to put all my music and movies on so I can stream them to my ps3's to have movies over the network. I discovered that my N82 has something called "Hom. med." (home media, I assume) that functions as both a UPnP AV server and player. This means that I can connect to my NAS and play movies directly over my phone, or I can enable the server on my phone to play movies, pictures, or music from my phone through the PS3. Awesome.

Problem is that when I want to play a movie from the NAS, it insists on downloading the whole drat thing before playing it, rather than streaming it. And if I've encoded a movie with a bitrate that's too high, it won't play the video at all, just the audio.

Do any of the newer N-series devices still have this application, and is the media playback more robust? I was jazzed when I saw I could do this, but it has some limitations. Also, my wife's e71 doesn't have this app, which is kind of a bummer, but I suppose it's to be expected, as the n-series are media devices and the e-series are for business apps.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Oddly enough my E72 has that. I never knew what it was for so thanks for clearing it up.

edit: check out this new nokia client for facebook and twitter, now updated for the E71 and E72. E71x users need not apply, apparently.
http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-messaging-for-social-networks-beta

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 19, 2010

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I'm pretty sure none of the Nokia Symbian touch phones have upnp, but I think the Samsung i8910 and the SE Satio and Vivaz have the feature.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Supposed to be announced tomorrow.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I'll reserve judgement on that phone until reviews come out, but Nokia is determined to be the cell phone industry's joke as far as touch UI design goes. Even RIM and MS are leaving you behind, Nokia. It looks like old S60v5 to me.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/04/26/nokia-n8-full-spec-sheet-leaks/

Early spec sheet for the N8 here

Click here for the full 1132x705 image.

Here's some highlights:
* Protocols: WCDMA 850/900/1700/1900/2100 and GSM/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
* Display: 3.5” OLED, capacitive touch screen, widescreen 16:9 nHD with (640*360 pixels) 16M colors, active area 43.2 mm x 76.8 mm
* Processor speed: 680MHz
* Connectors: HDMI, 3.5 mm AV connector, micro USB interface to PC, uSD slot, 2mm DC jack
* USB 2.0 High Speed, USB OTG, USB charging
* Memory: 256MB RAM, 512 ROM
* User Memory: 140 MB internal after boot-up, 16GB eMMC, Hot swappable microSD up to 32GB
* 12Mpix AF camera with Carl Zeiss Tessar f/2.8 28mm wide-angle optics. Xenon Flash, focal length 29 mm, 20x digital zoom camera
* Physical keys: application key, power key, camera key, lock key, volume up & down
* Input methods: Finger touch support for text input and UI control: ITU keypad, full keyboard. Chinese handwriting recognition. Possibility to use capasitive stylus
* Stereo FM Radio
* Hands free speaker: Boosted Class D mono speaker
* Integrated GPS
* 3D Entry Accelerometer
* Battery: BL-4D 1200mAh (inbox), up-to 7.7/5.4 2G/3G talk time, 719/603hrs stanby, 7.3 hrs H.264 video 720p playback, 3.2h 720p video recording
* Dimensions: 113.5×59x12.9 mm
* Volume: 86 cc
* Weight: 135 g

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dr Tran posted:

* Protocols: WCDMA 850/900/1700/1900/2100 and GSM/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
Is that all 3G bands in use now? I've never seen a quintuple-band phone before.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

qirex posted:

Is that all 3G bands in use now? I've never seen a quintuple-band phone before.

It won't be 5-band.

Probably two versions: 900/1700/2100 and 850/1900/2100. Maybe a third for China.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Dr Tran posted:

It won't be 5-band.

Probably two versions: 900/1700/2100 and 850/1900/2100. Maybe a third for China.

There is a new motorola chip that supports AWS and NAM 3g bands, no idea if it's ready or anything, but they were working on it.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

big mean giraffe posted:

There is a new motorola chip that supports AWS and NAM 3g bands, no idea if it's ready or anything, but they were working on it.

Sony Ericsson had a quadband chip months ago and nothing ever came of it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
There will be a version with 850 and 1900 bands, but it'll never actually get released because Nokia hates North America.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I just killed my N82. I am very sad. :cry:

HPL posted:

There will be a version with 850 and 1900 bands, but it'll never actually get released because Nokia hates North America.

Every Nokia release minus the N900 got the 850/1900 bands. The only problem is that firmware updates may come out after the euro version.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Dr Tran posted:

Every Nokia release minus the N900 got the 850/1900 bands. The only problem is that firmware updates may come out after the euro version.

Or you play the lottery game of "When is the firmware update coming out for my product code?" Gotta love Nokia some days.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

+ Xenon Flash!
- No keyboard
- No Maemo

No sale. I shall continue waiting.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
^^^I'm already sold on the Xenon.
Plus the video mode has stabilization. Useful feature.

N8 AWS version passed the FCC
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/26/nokia-n8-earns-fcc-seal-with-t-mobile-3g-on-board/

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Godzilla07 posted:

Or you play the lottery game of "When is the firmware update coming out for my product code?" Gotta love Nokia some days.

Or "IS the firmware update coming out for my product code?" 0569371 :argh:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
$500
No removable battery
comes in orange

http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/04/27/nokia-n8-official-price-specs-and-pics/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Thu8flWHXE

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 27, 2010

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Though the phone itself doesn't interest me in the least, it's nice to see them putting those features (xenon flash, larger sensor, hd recording, hdmi output) in their apparent flagship so that other phones (probably not from Nokia, I'm guessing!) will follow suit. maybe

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Nokia should probably just buy Palm or license webOS for their next few phones. Symbian just feels weird with iPhone and Android. Its gotta be the font or white space usage. Can't really put my finger on what makes it so weird after using so many phones built for the US market.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Peven Stan posted:

Nokia should probably just buy Palm or license webOS for their next few phones. Symbian just feels weird with iPhone and Android. Its gotta be the font or white space usage. Can't really put my finger on what makes it so weird after using so many phones built for the US market.
Yeah, that's a good idea
http://www.precentral.net/webos-projected-have-just-14-market-share-2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

I'll probably switch back to AT&T from my Sprint Palm Pre just for this phone. So loving happy that it has xenon. It also has LED(s) for video recording lighting, correct? I'm seeing conflicting info on that.

This is really pathetic, but I literally have at least one dream per week about S60 smartphones. Shoot me. My most recent dream was about me finding a secret hidden stash of upcoming S60 phones like the X6 and C5, although they might be out now. Either way, it's sad!

• Locked thread