Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
In order to keep myself from buying this, one of you guys should.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1686370545.html

Click here for the full 862x865 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

valinhorn
Jun 25, 2006
I am no one to be Trifled with!!!!
Ken Block's Gymkhana Rally Car - $1250 (Manitowoc)

http://greenbay.craigslist.org/cto/1687884680.html

quote:

Wanting to trade for an extended cab 4x4 truck and some cash on my end. Also will sell for $1500 with wheels, $1250 with stock wheels/tires.

Wheels are 17" Motegi and have 235-45-17 BFG G-force on them right now.

160,000 miles, recently serviced, A/C, cruise, tilt, cd player, power windows, power locks, power seats. 8 passengers.
Hidden trailer hitch, fold-up backwards facing seat, custom center console, cold air intake, corvette roll pan, hood pins, functional hood scoop, Rally lights/bar, locking billet gas cap, green underglow.

Very dependable, and good on gas. Has been on 500 mile road trips with no issues. Gets around 24-28 mpg!

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Black88GTA posted:

EDIT: That ~20k mile '97 posted above is a rare find indeed. They only made / sold 640 '97 SVXs in NA, and it was the final year of production. The low total production / newest available model year combo alone makes the '97s quite sought after (as the SVX goes, anyway) and the low mileage / condition of that particular one makes it especially valuable. Plus, the '97s came with a '97-only grille that most think looks better than the "waterfall" grille that came on all other model years. It is the first thing to be sold in the rare event a '97 gets parted out. I went ahead and cross-posted that to an SVX board, since stuff like this doesn't come along very often.

gently caress it. I'm going to call the guy tomorrow.

PLR, if the guy doesn't sound like a total douche and your offer stands I may take you up on it.

God help me.
And my marriage.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Raluek posted:

In order to keep myself from buying this, one of you guys should.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1686370545.html

Click here for the full 862x865 image.

Ohh, why'd you do that? Soo want to go buy it... half hour away...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Joe Mama posted:

Ohh, why'd you do that? Soo want to go buy it... half hour away...

I had to share my pain. I'm in the same boat, but I don't even have the space to put another car right now.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

z16bitsega posted:

Pretty much:

The guy took more pictures. It's a pile of rust in the shape of an H1. Even with the new pictures the bidding has gone over $10,000.

:ughh:

I think my favorite picture is the twine and scrap wood holding up a 25 gallon diesel tank.

http://www.vuvox.com/collage_express/collage.swf?collageID=023e58ba91

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 15, 2010

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

BigKOfJustice posted:

The guy took more pictures. It's a pile of rust in the shape of an H1. Even with the new pictures the bidding has gone over $10,000.

I think my favorite picture is the twine and scrap wood holding up a 25 gallon diesel tank.

holy poo poo that's well nigh unsalvageable

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

ab0z posted:

holy poo poo that's well nigh unsalvageable

pffffttttttt

:smug:

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

slidebite posted:

gently caress it. I'm going to call the guy tomorrow.

PLR, if the guy doesn't sound like a total douche and your offer stands I may take you up on it.

God help me.
And my marriage.

Alright let me know, I may ask for a small fee in exchange for my EXTREMELY VALUABLE TIME. Hopefully they don't brush me off because I look younger. Just find me some kind of guide on what to look for on these cars.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BigKOfJustice posted:

I found the rear view mirror. In the back.

At least he cleaned out the interior some.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

BigKOfJustice posted:

drat, did someone slap an IH badge on that thing?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Sockington posted:

pffffttttttt

:smug:

If you buy that and restore it I'll eat a pound of rust

Cheap Bourbon
Apr 13, 2010

trouser chili posted:

drat, did someone slap an IH badge on that thing?

:golfclap:

I liked how the rust started to creep in to the HVAC controls. That takes some talent.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

BigKOfJustice posted:

I still can't believe people are bidding on it after reading this:

quote:

- This vehicle was used at the beach in lieu of a boat
for day trips of fishing on the beach for the last 10 years.

Or maybe they can't read. :v:

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

valinhorn posted:

Ken Block's Gymkhana Rally Car - $1250 (Manitowoc)

http://greenbay.craigslist.org/cto/1687884680.html

This is probably at least 9 kinds of awesome.

valinhorn
Jun 25, 2006
I am no one to be Trifled with!!!!

Minkee posted:

This is probably at least 9 kinds of awesome.

I was really hoping he would post rally action pics of it.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I still can't believe people are bidding on it after reading this:

Or maybe they can't read. :v:

Whoever is bidding on it doesn't know what's involved. I've seen repairable h1's and humvee's that had no rust that go for 10-15k.

If it was 2-3k, then well I wouldn't still go for it. The upshot with an H1, is all the rust bits can be replaced with army surplus hardware. The body tub is aluminum so that can be media blasted and repainted. Toss the steel roof and doors and convert to a soft top. Get surplus doors for a few hundred dollars. Sell the interior vinyl and plastic and convert the interior to a military truck with minimal electronics [all the civilian wiring is going to be hosed with the rust].

New bushings, new old stock A2 HMMWV frame rails, cross members, pockets, control arms and springs with mounts would cost about about 5 grand to replace the entire chassis. About $500 in grade 8 plated hardware for bolts and locknuts and whatever you need to put humpty dumpty back together. Every old rusted nut and bolt on that thing will need to be cut off.

Then you'll need to recondition and rebuild the geared hubs and differentials,.. check boots on the shafts, the races an bearings on them are probably shot on the half shafts... all new ball joints.. new spindles, engine needs a rebuild, new oil pan...

ugh. 10 grand and a month of manhours... minimum. :effort: and for what's its going for now on auction,anyone is better off getting a 92-94 H1 or basic m998 fixer upper that can run and actually pass inspection and work on that instead. These are relatively easy to work on. Parts pin AC Delco stuff and 70's truck technology unless you have a turbo model or something with ABS brakes.

A guy on another forum got a m998 humvee in Nevada for $10,000. It drove and ran but someone rolled it. The rear quarter panel was squashed and the b-pillars were tweaked. He picked up new aluminum panels for the rear quarter and b-pillars, drilled the old ones out and using rivets and adhesive, he fixed it up for about $2000. That's not bad for a toy humvee that he can flip for a profit when he gets bored of it.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 15, 2010

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.

ab0z posted:

If you buy that and restore it I'll eat a pound of rust

May not be worth the money but... I've seen bought worse. :ohdear:

Also, lol box section.

e: he's been driving that into the sea hasn't he.

Rogz fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 16, 2010

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004
I really want to go interview. Then show up with vice grips and a hammer, just in case they MAY PUT ME TO WORK.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/lab/1688426193.html

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

BigKOfJustice posted:

A guy on another forum got a m998 humvee in Nevada for $10,000. It drove and ran but someone rolled it. The rear quarter panel was squashed and the b-pillars were tweaked. He picked up new aluminum panels for the rear quarter and b-pillars, drilled the old ones out and using rivets and adhesive, he fixed it up for about $2000. That's not bad for a toy humvee that he can flip for a profit when he gets bored of it.

I thought that military surplus humvees had to be "destroyed" before you could sell them. I want to say there was something involving dropping them nose-first from a crane?

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

orange lime posted:

I thought that military surplus humvees had to be "destroyed" before you could sell them. I want to say there was something involving dropping them nose-first from a crane?

I heard that they had to destroy the old Jeeps before they could go to surplus (part of why that Growler is so expensive?), not sure if its the same deal with the humvee.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

BigKOfJustice posted:

Whoever is bidding on it doesn't know what's involved. I've seen repairable h1's and humvee's that had no rust that go for 10-15k.

If it was 2-3k, then well I wouldn't still go for it. The upshot with an H1, is all the rust bits can be replaced with army surplus hardware. The body tub is aluminum so that can be media blasted and repainted. Toss the steel roof and doors and convert to a soft top. Get surplus doors for a few hundred dollars. Sell the interior vinyl and plastic and convert the interior to a military truck with minimal electronics [all the civilian wiring is going to be hosed with the rust].

Would there really be 'surplus' parts these days given we're still in Iraq?

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Tai-Pan posted:

Although I would never install them on my car, I never thought they were all that bad. Why does AI get their panties in such a wad over them?

They only work on cars that have zero visibility out the rear window.. their function is so you can sit on the door sill and look behind the car while backing in to park.

Here's a Lamborghini owner showing you how to do it right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkdj5wxXX_I

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
There's a difference between Lambo doors on a Lambo and Lambo doors on some crappy riced-out Civic. I think that's central to most objections.

Apparently they make Lambo doors for sedans now, which pretty much constitutes taking stupidity to another level IMHO...

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

el topo posted:

Usually when you're talking brakes, aren't the rotors made of steel or (less commonly) carbon, while only the pads are ceramic?..

No, there's definitely a market for carbon-ceramic slotted rotors as a racing application due to their weight and performance.

EDIT: Here's a wikipedia entry

Mr.Peabody fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 16, 2010

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Mr.Peabody posted:

No, there's definitely a market for carbon-ceramic slotted rotors as a racing application due to their weight and performance.

EDIT: Here's a wikipedia entry

Hey, great, a Wikipedia entry... that has nothing to do with the context of el topo's comments. Yes, there is such a thing as ceramic rotors. No, you are not going to find them on a 10 year old toooner BMW.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

orange lime posted:

It depends. Although stuff like CUCV's [ie. Military 5/4 ton blazers and pickups] and M35's don't have to destroyed, stuff like Jeeps [mutts] did mostly due to liability reasons. Today the Humvee is in the same boat, although AM General used to go the extra step to send nastygrams to various state DMV's to tell them not to register Humvees for on road use due to a lack of emissions and DOT safety equipment [no padded dash, no collapsible steering column].

It's more likely that AMC/Jeep and Hummer didn't want competition for their civilian line. :tinfoil:

That being said, it seems that it's ok to surplus new old stock equipment. If a part was never used or deployed, it doesn't have to be destroyed. It won't mean you can get a whole vehicle, but it can mean you can pick up a trailer load of new diesel engines, new half shafts, crates of body tubs, that sort of thing.

As for complete vehicles, they usually come from defense contractor swaps or regional/local governments who got them from the federal government and sold them on a local level. Most came from a USMC / United Defense swap in the late 90's early 00's where a few thousand humvees changed Hands. United Defense later auctioned them off. Some dude in the North East picked up the majority of them with a few hundred being sold off here and there [I heard they were going for around 5-6 grand each in bulk].

Local governments can get surplus vehicles for free or very cheap from the federal government. Stuff like diesel generator trailers, humvees, etc. Many sheriff departments got humvees stashed around somewhere in their county from surplus. Technically they're on loan from the federal goverment but occasionally the county or state will auction them off with the proper paperwork and you have a working humvee in public hands. The legit ones have a SF97 form that proves you own it and not uncle sam. Most other humvees are "custom construction" built up from bits and pieces acquired by surplus.

Very few humvees get destroyed unless they're already hosed up pretty bad. If it's a recent model, it'll get sent for refurbishment and redeployed. If it's off in a far off warzone, they'll just give them away to local governments who may surplus them.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Would there really be 'surplus' parts these days given we're still in Iraq?

Sure, the government isn't exactly efficient. They overproduce parts all the time, and the humvee has been around for 30 years. There's a lot of variation in models and improvements in parts over that time. Although I'd like to say you only see older, obsolete stuff surplused, I've found some the latest hardware/upgrades available for surplus as well. I'm guessing from a logistics standpoint it may be cheaper to surplus a new item than it is to store it or pay for fuel/manhours to move it around the country. :iiam:

Altimas
Aug 23, 2006
1970 camaro (please read carefully) - $9000 (North LV)
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/1694843821.html

quote:

Date: 2010-04-16, 7:22AM PDT
Reply to: sale-bbjex-1694843821@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I have a 1970 camaro that was given to me when my uncle died. he left it to me in his will. I dont know alot about old cars so i just want to sell it. It is white with white interior. It has a 350 engine and it is an automatic. It has been restored and runs really well. There is something you should know. My uncle was in the Ku Klux Klan and used this car at all the KKK meetings. It has a VERY racist mural on the hood depecting hatred towards blacks and another one on the trunk lid depicting ugliness towards jews. There are also some very ugly and nasty sayings on the fenders and doors. All the murals and sayings were look like they were done by a proffesional. Its pretty gross. Also, the interior is all custom with confederate flags and swastikas stitched into the fabric with alot of racist things painted on the dash. It runs really well but i cant even take it out for a test drive because its too racist a car. If your interested, email me. you just have to promise me that if u buy it that youll repaint it and replace the interior.I have pictures but ONLY for serious bidders. Thank you.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 1694843821
Anyone here wanna see if he'll send the pics?

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004

Altimas posted:

You must, in the name of :science:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Csixtyfour posted:

Holy poo poo. Indeed.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
Hurry before Dan Labast buys it out from under you.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Altimas posted:

North Las Vegas is a BAD fuckin' place to have a car like that too. I live within spittin' distance of Northtown, but I haven't seen this car. I almost wanna go trawling for it.

Altimas
Aug 23, 2006

Csixtyfour posted:

I sent an email but I haven't gotten a response back.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Everyone who is not flagging that "best of" is WRONG.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
It's not on craigslist, and I'm not sure it's necessarily "gold", but I've come to have an unnatural desire to own this car.

It is gold colored.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

trouser chili posted:

It's not on craigslist, and I'm not sure it's necessarily "gold", but I've come to have an unnatural desire to own this car.

It is gold colored.

What's going on here? :psyduck:

What a loving steering wheel. Also, the rear turn signals are loving neat. I want to know why there's no profile photo, though.

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.
It's a DS, what's not to like.

If eBay is kosher then... one of the last real mini coopers ever made:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1999-Mini-Joh...#ht_1480wt_1165

That would be a fun car to drive here if the roads weren't full of potholes.

Swordfish
Aug 15, 2001

Splizwarf posted:

What's going on here? :psyduck:

What a loving steering wheel. Also, the rear turn signals are loving neat. I want to know why there's no profile photo, though.

i would murder a child for a kit that let me put a wheel like that in other cars.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

sigtrap posted:

Hurry before Dan Labast buys it out from under you.

I thought it was dalabast: Dan (David) Alabast

Sockington fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

That's not a '96 960, for the record. It's a '92-'94.