Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If I understand you correctly, you're renting a bedroom which comes with access to a common area. Unless she's actually in your room, she's not in the area you personally are paying for, and you don't have the authority to eject her. I'm assuming just staying in your room and locking the door isn't an option for whatever reason?

(someone actually familiar with tenant laws where he's at feel free to smack me down if I'm wrong here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

zabraba posted:

My question is more can I have her removed because it's my place and not hers. I don't know anything about the law for this (hence asking here), but I'd imagine if Person A really dislikes Person B enough, Person A would be able to get Person B removed from Person A's apartment. Sort of like a trespassing type deal, but I guess not quite the same.

What does your lease say about guests?

zabraba
Aug 23, 2007

Javid posted:

I'm assuming just staying in your room and locking the door isn't an option for whatever reason?
It's an option. Just not one I'm a big fan of. I just don't think I should be having to deal with someone everyday that I don't like and doesn't live here. I guess it's just a lovely situation for me then and I'll just do it the more labor-intensive way of telling her to gently caress off every time she comes here.

Anyway I'm gonna find a copy of my lease some time soon and take a look at the policy on guests. Didn't even think of that, so thanks for that suggestion.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Grazing Occultation posted:

I've been summonsed.

It sounds like I'll probably get there, wait around for a while, then be told that I'm not needed?

I'm an NZ lawyer, so Aussies feel free to correct me, but assuming committal over there is similar, you may have to give evidence or read your statement to the court, and as you're the main witness, you will most likely be cross examined by the defence. Whether it's a grilling or not will depend on the defence strategy - this is the defence's chance to ask you for more information, so they may stick to that, or may go further.

In NZ now a lot of this kind of thing is being done by the hand up of written statements without any witnesses needing to be present at all - I'm not sure if this happens in Melbourne, but as you've been summonsed I imagine unless there's last minute agreement on the main facts between the two sides you'll be doing some talking.

Do you have contact details for the prosecutor? If so, give them a call or email and ask what to expect - since they're familar with the case they should be able to give you an idea at least.

Edit: You also asked about whether charges were automatic. The short answer is yes - rather than the charges being strictly on your behalf, the state/Crown etc will be prosecuting the defendant for breaking the law by assaulting you. The charges will be laid by the police. Usually the victim will be in agreement, since if the victim refuses to give evidence then the case may be difficult for the prosecution to prove. Also in laying charges, prosecutors are supposed to take the victim's view into account, but in the end it's their call rather than yours. There are also ways you can bring charges yourself, either in the criminal or civil context, but that's another kettle of fish altogether.

Meander fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 13, 2010

Nell
Feb 19, 2007
I was just pulled over for speeding on the border of the town I live in. I was given a "Code and Ordinance Violation Notice" instead of a ticket. On the "ticket" it says fine$: TBD... Can I get a "ticket" with a to be determined fine for going 10mph over the speed limit?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Nell posted:

I was just pulled over for speeding on the border of the town I live in. I was given a "Code and Ordinance Violation Notice" instead of a ticket. On the "ticket" it says fine$: TBD... Can I get a "ticket" with a to be determined fine for going 10mph over the speed limit?

What town is this? What is the ordinance the violation cites?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Nell posted:

What state are you in? The border of which two towns? What's the Ordinance number written on the ticket?

These are things that would be very useful in answering your question, since contrary to Wal-Mart America's erroneous belief, the law is not the same the world over.

Nell
Feb 19, 2007
Farmington, IL bordering random countryside. No ordinance number: 9-3-1

PoorRichMorgan
Mar 30, 2010

Ok, here is my situation, this is in regards to an issue with my landlord.

Back in July 09, I was disowned by my parents for reasons I will not disclose here. I am 21 and obviously being on my own now with no place to stay, I spoke with a friend who told me of someone they knew who was renting out a room in her own house.

Having no place to stay and not knowing anything about leases, landlord/tenant rights, etc. I went to the place and agreed to rent it. It was $400 rent and $200 security deposit.

HOWEVER, I never made a written agreement, nor did I sign anything. The only thing we did was agree verbally that I would pay rent. We did not speak of paying utilities, for her spending habits (ie. having a gardener come by every week, painters painting the house), or anything like that.

Eventually I talked her down to a rent of $350 provided that I help around the house and keep it clean.

The problem is, three times she has persuaded me into paying extra charges. The first time was towards the end of the summer, around September. She wanted me to pay $350 extra to help cover the cost of the utility bill, which was spiked because she was running a tiny air conditioner all summer long which was not even big enough to cool the whole house. Being that it is southern California in the Los Angeles county, that isn't surprising, but I was shocked when she confronted me with this, and got angry when I protested, saying that I used the air conditioning as much as she did (I never even touched the thing). I reluctantly paid that extra, and about two months later when the bill came again, still for the summer period, she had me pay that too, another $350.

Then just recently in March, she wanted me to help pay for the electric bill! $250! This time saying that she paid the utility bill last time, and that I should help pay this one. Her reasoning this time is that I'm in the house more than her, so therefore, I should pay the majority! Aside from the basics, I only have a single energy saving bulb on and my laptop. I would think her larger computer, pool, television set, etc. would use up more!

She also threatened to up the rent to $500 if I didn't pay it (no mentions of giving me a 30-60 day notice either). So reluctantly, I paid that as well.

Anyway, for numerous reasons including her, I'm planning on moving out as soon as possible. $950 in extra charges in addition to helping keeping her house clean in less than a year seems ridiculous. The worst part is, there is no written agreement, so I don't know if I have any rights against her. I'm moving out of state, so I'm worried that she may not pay back my security deposit with more bs excuses, but I've looked up my rights in regards to that, so I'm at least knowledgeable on that. I also did look at numerous resources, including a booklet on the California .gov site that tells of landlord/tenant rights, but it doesn't cover whether she can charge me for things like this.

I hope this is enough information. If it came down to it, would I be able to sue her in small claims court for the extra she paid me? Does a lack of any physical agreement nullify this? I don't even know if her renting out this room is legal or not, since I don't even know if she has it registered as a place for rent (I think asking her would rouse too much suspicion at this point).

Any advice? I want to get a good idea of what I can do before I call a lawyer, and I don't know if I can afford this since I'm a typical poor college student, lol.

Thanks in advance.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Nell posted:

Farmington, IL bordering random countryside. No ordinance number: 9-3-1

Call the court clerk in Farmington/the PD and see what it means then report back

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

EvelynPoor posted:

Back in July 09, I was disowned by my parents for reasons I will not disclose here.

I wanna hear that story.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Oregon:

Bought a used car some months ago, was doing some work on it this week and discovered it had been in a massive collision at some point, and then more or less stapled back together. The mechanic said it should've been cubed at that point. Obviously, this was not disclosed to me at the time of sale. Are there laws governing this, and if so how would one go about filing suit? (Civil, criminal, small claims, what)

It was bought off the owner, not a dealer, if that matters.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Javid posted:

Oregon:

Bought a used car some months ago, was doing some work on it this week and discovered it had been in a massive collision at some point, and then more or less stapled back together. The mechanic said it should've been cubed at that point. Obviously, this was not disclosed to me at the time of sale. Are there laws governing this, and if so how would one go about filing suit? (Civil, criminal, small claims, what)

This looks like a 'misrepresentation rendering the contract voidable' civil claim but talk to someone from the US.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Javid posted:

Oregon:

I would guess your best bet is check whatever "lemon laws" Oregon has. A quick Google search turned this up:

Lemon Justice Website posted:

Oregon's new car Lemon Law covers used vehicles that are purchased within one year or 12,000 miles (whichever comes first) from the original owner's delivery date. Otherwise, it does not cover used vehicles. However, there are several other types of laws that can be used to help you in the event you discover that you've bought a used car lemon. First, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has what's called the Used Car Rule that requires dealers to provide consumers with a Buyer's Guide with warranty and other types of information. If the dealer has in any way failed to abide by the FTC Used Car Rule, you may have the basis for a legal claim.

Second, each state has what are called Unfair and Deceptive Acts and Practices (UDAP) laws. If the dealer has, for example, made verbal promises or didn't tell you about issues relating to your used car, you may have a cause of action. Third, Oregon's version of the Uniform Commercial Code may provide you with relief. Finally, the Truth in Lending Act and the Federal Odometer Act might also be valuable in obtaining lemon justice.
So I guess the lemon laws won't help you with your used vehicle. But there are other potential routes to take, though I don't know if there's a difference between "dealer" and "owner."

So, I guess that wasn't too much help.

Green Crayons fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 14, 2010

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Alchenar posted:

This looks like a 'misrepresentation rendering the contract voidable' civil claim but talk to someone from the US.

'Caveat Emptor'

If the seller told him that the car had never been involved in an accident we'd be in business...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

JudicialRestraints posted:

'Caveat Emptor'

If the seller told him that the car had never been involved in an accident we'd be in business...

Over here any statement along the lines of 'the car is fit to go on the road' (ie. literally anything about the state of the car) would count as a negligent mistatement of fact.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Javid posted:

Oregon:

Tell us more about your purchasing process.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

EvelynPoor posted:

Back in July 09, I was disowned by my parents for reasons I will not disclose here.

I'm moving out of state, so I'm worried that she may not pay back my security deposit with more bs excuses, but I've looked up my rights in regards to that, so I'm at least knowledgeable on that. I also did look at numerous resources, including a booklet on the California .gov site that tells of landlord/tenant rights, but it doesn't cover whether she can charge me for things like this.

My guess is you are gay and your religious parents don't really have the love of Jesus in their heart like they preach to others about. Also, your parents disowning you really has nothing to do with the question you are asking, so including that bit of info but cock-blocking us on why it happened is mean, and thus I think that anyone that replies to you should guess as to why it happened.

But to your question, why not just not pay the last months rent to her? Or if you are an ethical person, only pay the difference of what the deposit doesn't cover. Unless you are moving out this month and have already paid her. In that case I would ask her for the deposit back when you move. But for $200 you have to ask yourself how much your time and effort is worth to fight her for it if she isn't willing.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

dvgrhl posted:

My guess is you are gay and your religious parents don't really have the love of Jesus in their heart like they preach to others about. Also, your parents disowning you really has nothing to do with the question you are asking, so including that bit of info but cock-blocking us on why it happened is mean, and thus I think that anyone that replies to you should guess as to why it happened.

But to your question, why not just not pay the last months rent to her? Or if you are an ethical person, only pay the difference of what the deposit doesn't cover. Unless you are moving out this month and have already paid her. In that case I would ask her for the deposit back when you move. But for $200 you have to ask yourself how much your time and effort is worth to fight her for it if she isn't willing.

Okay, I'm in. I don't think she's gay, I think she picked the wrong guy. You know, the guy in a black leather jacket, the dangerous one. Think young Marlon Brando. She broke curfew again and again, racing around on the back of Brando's motorcycle, sneering at her parents. She was an embarassment to the whole family, and dragged the "Poor" family name through the mud. Being from a small town in Iowa, there was no greater crime.

As to the legal question, I don't know California law, but in my state, the OP would have no claim to recover the $950 voluntarily paid in the first place.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Javid posted:

Oregon:

FWIW in Canada the contract you'd probably be entitled to recission of the contract, and you'd be covered by consumer protection laws. Check consumer protection laws in your state; often they're broad enough to catch even "private" sales, and if they do, selling a car without disclosing it's been badly damaged is very likely deceptive practice giving rise to damages.

Grazing Occultation
Aug 18, 2009

by angerbutt

Meander posted:

Do you have contact details for the prosecutor? If so, give them a call or email and ask what to expect - since they're familar with the case they should be able to give you an idea at least.

I don't have the prosecutor's information. I don't know if I'll get that before the hearing or not. I do have the detective's info but I'd rather not bother him.

Thanks!

XaphanTheFallen
Nov 3, 2005

For My Own Part, Regret Nothing. Have Lived life free from compromise and step into the Shadow now with out complaint.

Runaktla posted:

I am a lawyer in this field (i.e. probate) and I have handled probably 25+ conservatorship appointment proceedings in the Los Angeles area. What you are talking about is a "Conservatorship" proceeding, as Guardianships are for minors (but they are for both in many other States). Many conservatorships (but not most) become established over the objection of the incapacitated adult. There is a lot of paperwork related to conservatorships. I'm not going to say its impossible to do it on your own, but it is very difficult. Some counties may have self-help assistance programs, but that may only be available if you are only seeking a conservatorship over the incompetent "person" (rather than his/her estate as well).

What County is it? What sort of assets/income source does this incompetent person have?

It's in Santa Clara County, she is currently receiving disability and her husband just suffered a major stroke. So their assets are virtually nothing.

Thanks for responding.

xaoult
Apr 10, 2006

by angerbotSD
I got a communication cease and desist letter that wasn't even certified from the parents of a 23 year old adult. I'm not sure if they can tell me not to talk to another adult, is this even possible?

This is in Utah also.

xaoult fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 16, 2010

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

xaoult posted:

I got a communication cease and desist letter that wasn't even certified from the parents of a 23 year old adult. I'm not sure if they can tell me not to talk to another adult, is this even possible?

This is in Utah also.

There is nothing magical about putting the words "cease and desist" in a letter. There is nothing magical about sending a letter by certified mail.

What you got is a letter from a girl's parents telling you to keep your grubby goon paws off of their precious princess. Unless the letter came from a court or a prosecutor's office, there is no legal effect. Feel free to keep on stalking!

xaoult
Apr 10, 2006

by angerbotSD

Solomon Grundy posted:

There is nothing magical about putting the words "cease and desist" in a letter. There is nothing magical about sending a letter by certified mail.

What you got is a letter from a girl's parents telling you to keep your grubby goon paws off of their precious princess. Unless the letter came from a court or a prosecutor's office, there is no legal effect. Feel free to keep on stalking!

The letter did come from an attorney's office. This is all over an ex girlfriend actually. We don't have any problems with each other. I also have a letter from the ex stating she would release me of all legal liability even if I did want to contact her, which I do not. I'm just wondering if this cease and desist sent by her parents attorney is a bullshit scare tactic or not.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

xaoult posted:

The letter did come from an attorney's office. This is all over an ex girlfriend actually. We don't have any problems with each other. I also have a letter from the ex stating she would release me of all legal liability even if I did want to contact her, which I do not. I'm just wondering if this cease and desist sent by her parents attorney is a bullshit scare tactic or not.

There is a shitload of relevant backstory to this that you have not elaborated on.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

xaoult posted:

I'm just wondering if this cease and desist sent by her parents attorney is a bullshit scare tactic or not.
Mostly.
Does it look something like this?
It has no legal effect, though it makes it easier for a prosecutor to prove you 'knew or should have known'* that any further contact you'd want to make was unwanted.

xaoult posted:

which I do not
Good. (potential) Problem solved.

*Utah Criminal Code §76-5-106.5(2):
(2) A person is guilty of stalking who intentionally or knowingly engages in a course of conduct directed at a specific person and knows or should know that the course of conduct would cause a reasonable person:
(a) to fear for the person's own safety or the safety of a third person; or
(b) to suffer other emotional distress.

e:

Solomon Grundy posted:

What you got is a letter from a girl's parents telling you to keep your grubby goon paws off of their precious princess....stalking.
A most perspicacious prognostication.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 16, 2010

xaoult
Apr 10, 2006

by angerbotSD

joat mon posted:

Mostly.
Does it look something like this?

No the letter didn't even look like that, it was just a standard typed up letter without any references to any laws in it at all, and there wasn't even mention of stalking in the letter. From what I understand from it it's just if she makes contact with me, and I reply, or try to make contact with her they'll try to come up with some reason for suing me.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

xaoult posted:

No the letter didn't even look like that, it was just a standard typed up letter without any references to any laws in it at all, and there wasn't even mention of stalking in the letter. From what I understand from it it's just if she makes contact with me, and I reply, or try to make contact with her they'll try to come up with some reason for suing me.

Scan, redact and link.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

zabraba posted:

My question is, do I have the authority, since my name is on the lease, to kick her out/have her removed if she causes a conflict with me? I'm usually very tolerant and do not want to ever resort to this, but I don't feel I should be coming home to her every day after classes if we're not getting along at all. I honestly don't care about getting my roommates mad at me for it. I just want to know whether I'll be finding someone to stay with or whether I'll be able to get her rear end kicked out of my apartment so I can live here in peace.

Just throwing it in there in case it's on a state or town basis, I'm in Blacksburg, VA.

I also live in Blacksburg and can probably shed some light on apartment leases and guest policies in apartments 'round here.

I'm fairly certain that most of them have a clause about the frequency of guests coming over, mine has a limit on hours spent in the apartment and spending the night per month. So check your lease, and take it up with your landlord.

Since you live in Blacksburg there's a good chance you go to VT, so if you do you should hit up legal services. This is pretty much all they do. The guy was kind of a dick to me when I had roommate/tenant issues (but that's because my ex roommate got there first and spun some magnificent story about how I was a terrible landlord and managed to get his permission to dick me/my parents out of $1500. But I digress.).

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

xaoult posted:

Dude, fill in the backstory. Also the text of the letter would really help.

kalonji
Feb 28, 2010
Have! It's `could have' not `could of', dipshit
This is in Ontario Canada, the corporation in question is a social networking site.

I own 10% of and sit on the board of directors of a privately held corporation. I have had a falling out with the majority owner of the corporation who owns the other 90%.

Predominately over my lack of delivery of a business plan, I was not contractually obligated to produce this and later reneged on my verbal agreement to do so based on my feelings that the majority owners vision for the site conflicted with mine. Making my authoring of the business plan pointless, also this was to be unpaid.

The majority owner sent me an email stating
"

As you know as a director of COMPANY you have a fiduciary responsibility to act honestly and in good faith with regards to COMPANY. You have not done so. Your actions of withholding the Business Plan, failing to do what you committed to do, and not communicating in a reasonable manner have severely damaged COMPANIES ability to progress and to acquire more funding.

It has become abundantly clear that we can no longer work together at COMPANY

I therefore respectfully request that you submit your signed letter of resignation as a director of the Corporation and that you transfer your shares to me, at zero cost. In order to expedite the process, I have taken the liberty of attaching a letter of resignation and share transfer that you can use.

If I do not receive your resignation and share transfer by 5:00pm on Monday, April 19, 2010, COMPANY will be dissolved and as a director you will be partially responsible for all outstanding loans. I hope that you will not force me to take this action, as I have put a great deal of time and effort into this project.

"

End quote/

The site has little in the way of physical assets, 100% of its funding was contributed by the father of majority owner. I was under the impression that this was angel investing and not a loan. I have nothing in writing to that affect. I'm not an authorized user on the bank accounts and haven't been privy to any of the financial dealing, nor have I personally guaranteed any loans.

I actually haven't done much other then function as the companies advisor on business matters/liability stuff. We have had exactly one shareholder meeting and that was the first and last one.

Is she bluffing? from what I can discern from google, as a director i'm liable for unpaid employee salaries and tax responsibilities. But thats in effect 2 years after I resign.

Not to mention the only real assets the corporation has is the domain/actual site and idea behind it.

I'm pretty ticked off at the attempted coup, and would like to fight this if I have any legal ground to stand on. I'd also like to minimize my exposure as I have significant assets in my name ( paid off home, car, cash)

Is there anything criminal about whats going on?

How can I deal with this so I come out on top, preferably retaining my shares/the idea or domain but more importantly protect my assets.

Also, could I sue this person if they start a similar site in the near future.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

kalonji posted:

Is there anything criminal about whats going on?

How can I deal with this so I come out on top, preferably retaining my shares/the idea or domain but more importantly protect my assets.

Also, could I sue this person if they start a similar site in the near future.

Talk.To.A.Lawyer.

Do not respond to requests for information from this thread. You are potentially on the cusp of nasty civil litigation (or at more likely formal dancing around the threat of formal litigation) and you need the opinion of a qualified lawyer who needs to know far more detail about your case than you should make public knowledge.

For what it's worth, you seem to have gone out of your way to gently caress yourself and anyone trying to untangle this mess by not acting formally in a very formal relationship. Congratulations.

kalonji
Feb 28, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Talk.To.A.Lawyer.

Do not respond to requests for information from this thread. You are potentially on the cusp of nasty civil litigation (or at more likely formal dancing around the threat of formal litigation) and you need the opinion of a qualified lawyer who needs to know far more detail about your case than you should make public knowledge.

For what it's worth, you seem to have gone out of your way to gently caress yourself and anyone trying to untangle this mess by not acting formally in a very formal relationship. Congratulations.

Are you a lawyer? or even well versed in the laws of Canada?

As far as I know directors of the board aren't required to do any work beyond show up at board meetings and monitor company. So I fail to see how I could be sued by anyone other then unpaid employees or the Government of Canada for unpaid taxes.

Its not like I was an employee of the company. The running of the company fell to the majority owner who was President of the board and CEO. I was simply on the board of directors in an advisory capacity.

There is no detail beyond what was given, none that I know of currently anyways.

E: To clarify i'm asking for detail on my exposure in this case, clearly explained with a reference to an actual law in my area. Not YOUR GONNA GET SUED, that doesn't help me.

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

I can't hear it when you talk about John Druce

kalonji posted:

As far as I know directors of the board aren't required to do any work beyond show up at board meetings and monitor company. So I fail to see how I could be sued by anyone other then unpaid employees or the Government of Canada for unpaid taxes.

Its not like I was an employee of the company. The running of the company fell to the majority owner who was President of the board and CEO. I was simply on the board of directors in an advisory capacity.

There is no detail beyond what was given, none that I know of currently anyways.

As a director of the company, you owe a fiduciary duty to the corporation. That comes from s. 134 of the Ontario Business Corporations Act, if you're wondering. If you've breached this fiduciary duty, which is what is alleged, you can be sued by the corporation.

Which is another way of saying Talk. To. A. Lawyer.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

kalonji posted:

with a reference to an actual law in my area. Not YOUR GONNA GET SUED, that doesn't help me.

Go see a lawyer. You don't know what the hell you are talking about and you are in for an entire world of potential hurt.

As a board member you owe a fiduciary duty which you may or may not have broken. This is bad. This is 'shouldn't be talking about this with strangers on the internet' bad.

Talk to your lawyer, not us.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

The best part of this thread is when people come in looking for advice and then poo poo on the people giving them that advice.

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

I can't hear it when you talk about John Druce

kalonji posted:

E: To clarify i'm asking for detail on my exposure in this case, clearly explained with a reference to an actual law in my area. Not YOUR GONNA GET SUED, that doesn't help me.

If you want a primer on the consequences of being a director, I would start here:

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cilp-pdci.nsf/eng/cl00692.html

The Business Corporations Acts are pretty much the same throughout Canada when it comes to duties of directors, so that information should be relevant.

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh

ArcaneMan fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonji
Feb 28, 2010

Incredulous Red posted:

The best part of this thread is when people come in looking for advice and then poo poo on the people giving them that advice.

I already know I could get sued, hence why its a legal problem and I have a legal question.
A vague answer that tells me what I already know is absolutely useless. Thats poo poo posting.

I hold a degree in Commerce from a recognized University and have a good general understanding of what a directors role is in a company, just not how it applies to the legal system.

I'm satisfied that I fulfilled my responsibilities as a director.

A lot of goons really aren't reading, she is threatening to dissolve the company, making it impossible for the company to sue me for anything, only the creditors can ( and I didn't guarantee any loans) or even sign off on them as a director.

I will go see a lawyer, but only if and when i'm sued.