Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.

Ratatozsk posted:

Harmony never became awesome.

I liked her episode in season 5, Harm's Way and it just wasn't because of the opening Wolfram and Hart commercial. It showed what an average day is like for an average Wolfram employee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

9PoolPony posted:

I just plowed through Pure Pwnage Season 1 and I think that show might take people by surprise, it's really good.

I've never even heard of this. What's it like?

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

It airs in Canada, it's about a gamer and his life. It's sort of shot like it's reality. It used to be a web series (you can see it here: http://www.purepwnage.com/original_series/video/just-guys-pt2), but it jumped up to a tv show in the beginning of the year.

SiCk
Jul 4, 2003

My name's SiCk, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!
Well, Yeah.. at the weekend there i just binged through Sons Of Anarchy S2, and now i wish i didn't, because now i just want S3 :( GOD drat YOU CLIFFHANGERS!

ShapesYay
Oct 18, 2004
I AM IN THE SKOOL BAND LOL

Meow Cadet posted:

I just finished the first 2 seasons of Weeds on streaming netflix, and onto season 3. Season 1 slayed me, it was fantastic. Season 2 was still pretty good, but it's quickly turning into something that I'm watching just because I started it, and not because I'm finding it brilliant. I think maybe they progressed the story to quickly, as I loved the 'Soccer Mom' dealing at games, but when she starts expanding into dangerous territory, it is less fun to watch for me.

My experience is similar. I watched through the first two seasons and loved it and have become less and less enamored by the show as it continued. I stopped watching a few episodes into season 5 realizing that there are too many other things to do with my time and that I was only watching it because I had for the past 4 seasons.

I stopped buying the dvds after season 3 and have now talked myself into believing that is how the series ended.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
Well, I went from the pilot to the current episode of LOST in about 8 days. I'm powering through Glee now; sort of unemployed at the moment, with little to do before I move.

Mushboom
Apr 9, 2005
Adopted by Adam Kensai. If I mess up, ban him.

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

hahaha, well, I shouldn't say anything, but...

Yeah. Didn't stop me crying like a bitch for the last 20 minutes though. I think Tennant, although not MY Doctor (that's McGann), is my favorite.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
So is The Tudors a really good show? My parents loving love it and they always try and get me to watch it when I'm at home on break.

I just can't see myself getting interested in that crap though.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Johnny B. Goode posted:

So is The Tudors a really good show? My parents loving love it and they always try and get me to watch it when I'm at home on break.

If the series is based on real life then, Tudor England was nothing but boobs and sex. I really like the show and it got really interesting the last season.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's not that great. They try to keep your attention with the boobs, but Sam Neil is the highlight of the whole series and he's only in the first season. The vast majority of the show takes place in banquets with people dancing around to lovely music.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Johnny B. Goode posted:

I actually liked it a lot, especially since I went in with low expectations. The non-stop sex and nudity does take up the majority of the first few episodes but once you get through that a much more coherent story of greed, lust, skullduggery, religious fanaticism, and palace intrigue begins and get's really enjoyable especially if you like serial drama's. And the other poster is right that Sam Neil is the best part of the show. It's well worth watching just for him. The end of the first season is superb and if after getting to that point you don't want to continue it's no big deal, but if you do get that far you probably will want to keep going.

The show just started it's last season. If you're thinking of giving it a look and haven't bothered yet you might as well just wait a few months until the series is over and you have the option of binging through it all at once.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 20, 2010

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
:lost: S3 Finale

Whoever said I had good poo poo coming to me in S3 wasn't joking, holy poo poo that was a good finale. Incoming blackness. . .

Jack beating the hell out of Ben
Hurley running motherfuckers over
Locke's THROWING KNIFE kill
Sawyer murdering the hell out of Tom -- "Dude...he like, gave up. It was over." "I didn't believe him." His earlier kill of Locke's dad was pretty :aaa: too

Hobo Jack in the flash forwards was sadder than hell. The whole time I was thinking, "drat, those Thailand bitches really sent him over the edge", then BAM Kate out of nowhere. Jack sold the hell out of those last scenes, especially when he talked about praying about the planes going down everytime. Chilling.

TL;DR: Jack is awesome, Locke is sorta dead to me.

Sorry for all the black, but it's Lost.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Mr. Sloth posted:

Locke is sorta dead to me.

lol

Keep going.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
S4 of Lost maintains the highest consistency of quality episodes since Season 1, so enjoy!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The X-Files recently showed up on Netflix and I just finished S1. Goddamn what a great show. Perfect balance of overarching show continuity and monster of the week episodes.

Favorite episodes were Ice, The Erlenmeyer Flash, and Lazarus
Least favorites were Space (booooooooring), Gender Bender, and Shapes

I'll probably finish with S5 as has been advised, but man this show is great so far.

Archonic
Oct 11, 2003

bury me with it
I just finished all three seasons of Deadwood for the first time over the course of the past week or so. (I had only seen most of the first and second seasons out of order previously.) Knowing that the story will never be finished, I want to burn HBO's corporate headquarters to the loving ground.

Cocksuckers. :clint:

Seriously though, it was an amazing show that I wish I had watched with more regularity when it was still on TV. Practically everyone involved gave amazing performances (Ian McShane especially.) I know they've confirmed it's dead and all, but there will always be a little part of me that holds out hope for a bookend movie of some sort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Q7YRDL90E

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.

Captain Charisma posted:

I'll probably finish with S5 as has been advised, but man this show is great so far.

X-files season 6 has some high points too, Tithonus, Monday and Arcadia specifically, but you only really need to watch those episodes.

9PoolPony
Feb 19, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

It's about a guy who believes himself (and might be) the best video game player in the world. I think you'll only really enjoy it if you've ever played WoW/Starcraft/Guitar Hero. I think it's a very culturally adept show - it delves into the gamer culture in a very humorous, accurate way. If you played games, you'll like it, otherwise it will just be 'confusing and gay.'

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

PopeOnARope posted:

Well, I went from the pilot to the current episode of LOST in about 8 days.

Thats... amazing.

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
I'm jealous :(

I have to hold off on Season 4 until after finals week because watching any more of this show will wreck my GPA. :smith:

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick
Just started watching The Wire, liking it so far but some of the police work gets boring to me at times.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I meant this post more or less as a "thank you" to TV IV. I've lurked for a few years on SA.com, but only recently decided to sign up. This forum in particular has more or less guided my way through great television, and I want to thank each and every poster. :unsmith:
I'll admit what spurred this topic was seeing the Terminator: SCC thread pass into archives. I know that isn't a great show to alot, but something about it's two short seasons resonate to me even today. I can fully admit to liking Deadwood, Breaking Bad, True Blood, etc. better but not all of them moved me in such a way that made me feel loss when they stopped.
My family watches the entirety of their television online, through Hulu, Netflix Instant, etc. and it's been a huge help to be lead through some really great programming that I either never gave a chance thanks to you guys.

SA.com has convinced me to watch: Friday Night Lights, Deadwood, Battlestar Galactica, True Blood, Mad Men, etc. when before television was just something to catch my favorite movies butchered by TBS or the news.

Before this turns into a GBS thread, I just want to reiterate how awesome this forum is and especially topics like this.

tl;dr: I really, really liked Shirley Manson, G. Dillahunt, Summer Glau, and Brian Austin Green in T:SCC despite it's faults.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Digital Scumbag posted:

tl;dr: I really, really liked Shirley Manson, G. Dillahunt, Summer Glau, and Brian Austin Green in T:SCC despite it's faults.

I probably wouldn't have checked out the show if it wasn't for the thread hyping it up. And I'm really so glad I did, watched it from the beginning and it was a great trip. Aside from the two or three episodes surrounding the mid-season break in Season 2, every single episode never disappointed. I can honestly say that it was the only show where I was shocked and very upset when it was canceled, especially with the way Season 2 ended.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I think the coolest thing about Sarah Connor Chronicles was how it became inadvertently badass through its cancellation. Having Derek die by a random headshot was pretty bold, but Josh Friedman admitted in the commentary that they were planning to retcon that in Season 3, and that Brian Austen Green would have remained a series regular. Because the show got canceled, they never got to do that, and so I think the writers got away with looking "edgier" than they'd ever intended.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
See, I can see that view, but I didn't really like it because it was super ballsy tv or anything. I'll admit Derek's death was a huge risk and I think it paid off.
If you followed the old thread (archived now.. Whaaaa!!!), when Cromartie died everyone was bitching about how ineffectual and lame Terminators are, and how bad their aim is. So how do they rectify? Turn the corner and get headshotted, main character #4.

It took alot of liberties and such with the franchise and at times made it a Terminator super-drama/Religious analogue thing but ... but.. I still loved it from beginning to end. The actors I mentioned preformed beautifully... so much in fact that I considered watching Smallville because BAG is in it, and I pretty much hate Superman by default.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Digital Scumbag posted:

The actors I mentioned preformed beautifully... so much in fact that I considered watching Smallville because BAG is in it, and I pretty much hate Superman by default.

It's not worth watching for BAG, he's not really in much of it. (it's not really worth watching at all actually) I don't know why I still watch it :sigh:

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Thanks for rescuing me from that. I don't know anything about it, but I saw Hawkman and Metallo and whatnot. If some semblance of the Justice League was in it, that might save it? Still not watching 126 seasons of Superman-girl-angst. I'm sorry if that's an unfair classification -- blame it on the marketers. That's all I see. :unsmith:

Just had a mancrush on BAG's Derek Reese, I guess. Besides being dragged down in the whole Jesse plot in Season 2, I thought he was a really cool character (See: the episode where he and John go to the military academy).

On a semi-related note to that, I saw the promo for that poor "Aquaman" tv series pitched a while back that was apparently axes before it went anywhere? Yeah, it didn't look TOO bad. Took alot of liberties with the character and stuff but the effects looked drat good for tv, and I'd appreciate a show with underwater/beach scenes that weren't Baywatch.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Digital Scumbag posted:

Thanks for rescuing me from that. I don't know anything about it, but I saw Hawkman and Metallo and whatnot. If some semblance of the Justice League was in it, that might save it? Still not watching 126 seasons of Superman-girl-angst. I'm sorry if that's an unfair classification -- blame it on the marketers. That's all I see. :unsmith:

Yeah, it's been pretty good recently since the creators left. The Justice League plot and some other things have been better than average. But believe me it was not worth playing 8 seasons of catch-up.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Current marathon: Sons of Anarchy
Halfway through season two I still wonder how the writers managed to make me care about a bunch of gun runners and murderers. Good stuff. Love Adam Arkin in season 2, I don't I have ever seen him playing a villain before. Great cast, all around. Last six episodes coming up tonight, can't wait.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.
Just finished Season 4 of OZ.

gently caress that dream sequence.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Vizrt posted:

Just finished Season 4 of OZ.

gently caress that dream sequence.

OZ turned from a great show into a goddamn travesty at a certain point. I believe that point was "Cyril O'Reilly."

Coincidentally though, I just bumped into the guy who played Ryan O'Reilly at a bar this weekend.

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010
Last 2 weeks has been The Wire for me. I finished Season 4 this morning and just got done with S5E01, hahah McNutty's drinking again. "I slur when I'm tired"

This show is the best.

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.
I've been going through The Shield lately. At first I was hesitant, but I definitely got into it half way through the first season. This poo poo is epic from beginning to end, and I'm only in the 5th season. Shane's been getting on my last nerve for the 3rd and 4th seasons, but I realized I can't do poo poo about it so I just deal with it.

In watch it, it seems like Southland is more and more like The Shield. Which really makes sense now that I look at it, being that Shawn Ryan is involved with both.

And the ends always justify the means. :colbert:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Mughe posted:

I've been going through The Shield lately. At first I was hesitant, but I definitely got into it half way through the first season. This poo poo is epic from beginning to end, and I'm only in the 5th season. Shane's been getting on my last nerve for the 3rd and 4th seasons, but I realized I can't do poo poo about it so I just deal with it.

And the ends always justify the means. :colbert:

Man, I wish I could watch your brain as you go through the last 2 1/2 seasons.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

mcbexx posted:

Current marathon: Sons of Anarchy
Halfway through season two I still wonder how the writers managed to make me care about a bunch of gun runners and murderers. Good stuff. Love Adam Arkin in season 2, I don't I have ever seen him playing a villain before. Great cast, all around. Last six episodes coming up tonight, can't wait.

I'm currently around 01x08 on SoA and I do enjoy it. Mostly for Katey Segal and Ron Perlman, though. I also recognize the scarred Irishman in the MC from a fuckton of bit roles where he plays "expendable foreign mercenary without morals". I instantly recognize the other curly-haired crazy from Waterworld, of all places, as the crazy rear end sailor that Kevin Costner trades with (the one who wants to buy the women off him).
The only black mark I see is the dude who plays Jax can't act for poo poo. His inflection, his phony-rear end swagger, his walk with him animatedly swinging his arms trying to look tough is downright terrible. A nitpick as well, but the baggy jeans and clean white sneaks don't really paint the picture of Clay's VC to me, neither.

The biggest part though is that since he's the VC and the main focus, he constantly wants to talk to Ron Perlman alone... and every scene he is completely blown away. The plot intentionally calls for them to have these intimate kind of expository scenes where Jax looks like a worse actor by comparision trying to out-yell or out-:smug: Clay.

e: The leader of the Nord gang also doesn't really sell me. I keep hoping J.K. Simmons gets released from Oz, shanks him, and takes over the crew.
e2: SAMCRO is a pretty forced acronym. Sons of Anarchy Motorcycle Club Redwood Original? Ok. :smith:

Digital Scumbag fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 25, 2010

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Digital Scumbag posted:

e: The leader of the Nord gang also doesn't really sell me. I keep hoping J.K. Simmons gets released from Oz, shanks him, and takes over the crew.

This'll probably get a bunch of people to cry bloody murder but I also think Mitch Pileggi was pretty weak for that role. He's just missing whatever Simmons or Stacy Keach have that makes them convincing Aryan leaders. And no, it's not just because Pileggi isn't a WASP.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I watched all the first season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia yesterday evening. That's only 7 episodes but still... it's pretty moreish. Very much enjoying the group's dynamic right now and I hope it doesn't get thrown off with the new cast member in season 2 (though since it's up to season 5 so far it seems unlikely).

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Noxville posted:

I watched all the first season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia yesterday evening. That's only 7 episodes but still... it's pretty moreish. Very much enjoying the group's dynamic right now and I hope it doesn't get thrown off with the new cast member in season 2 (though since it's up to season 5 so far it seems unlikely).

If anything, IASIP becomes even better once Danny DeVito joins.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
I just finished season 1 of Life. Holy poo poo, why do things like this get canceled? At least the second season got extended to full length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Just finished season 5 of The Shield about 5 minutes ago.

Yeah... that's pretty much all I have to say right now. gently caress.