Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
So I have this old Sempron 1.7GHz PC with Ubuntu 9.04 which I have a use for, and I now have this new PC that I put XP Pro on and going to add new HDDs / Partition to boot Ubuntu 9.10 or another version of linux.

Now, as someone who is a relative nooby wanting to learn more about other operating systems, I am wondering what is something to do to help learn linux more, especially ubuntu (or any other that you would rather suggest).

At one point I mentioned to a friend of mine that running off a Minecraft or Garry's Mod server would be something I'd like doing (And I already had SRCDS set up for Windows XP), but he advised against it until I learn the operating system / wine / other stuff.

So what do you suggest I do to help learn more about what I can do in general.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ularg posted:

At one point I mentioned to a friend of mine that running off a Minecraft or Garry's Mod server would be something I'd like doing (And I already had SRCDS set up for Windows XP), but he advised against it until I learn the operating system / wine / other stuff.

If you want a game server and it has a native server binary, just run it! Don't beat your head against the wall trying to learn something you don't care about. Run whatever you want, see how bad you gently caress it up, then reinstall because you don't have any important data on that partition. Eventually you'll learn how to fix or prevent your mistakes and you'll feel like a wizard until you meet someone else in person that does it better.

That's how I learned, anyway.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

rt4 posted:

If you want a game server and it has a native server binary, just run it! Don't beat your head against the wall trying to learn something you don't care about. Run whatever you want, see how bad you gently caress it up, then reinstall because you don't have any important data on that partition. Eventually you'll learn how to fix or prevent your mistakes and you'll feel like a wizard until you meet someone else in person that does it better.

That's how I learned, anyway.

And then you kill them and feed of your power!

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Ularg posted:

So I have this old Sempron 1.7GHz PC with Ubuntu 9.04 which I have a use for, and I now have this new PC that I put XP Pro on and going to add new HDDs / Partition to boot Ubuntu 9.10 or another version of linux.

Now, as someone who is a relative nooby wanting to learn more about other operating systems, I am wondering what is something to do to help learn linux more, especially ubuntu (or any other that you would rather suggest).

So what do you suggest I do to help learn more about what I can do in general.

there is a native linux steam server binary for that kind of thing. For learning linux there's many ways to approach it. You could start building a linux server to start learning the server side of linux. You could install something like arch linux to get an idea of how to configure linux and set linux up from a command line. If all else fails, start looking at different programs to try and use to see which ones you like. Or you could try running different games on wine and see how they run.

Really, learning linux is about seeing what options are out there and seeing what fits your needs best. I'd suggest trying fedora, arch, suse, and a couple other distros that strike your fancy because each one has a view on how the linux operating system should run and it's interesting to see how they approach a completely open source operating system.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Hard thing about 'learning Linux' is that you need a goal in mind. You can't just install it and then hope for the best. You need a specific goal in mind. Install a web server and get some simple pages going, set up Samba to share some files, get a game server going, etc. If you're really brave, your goal can be to use it as your primary system. Use it for web browsing, chatting, mail, etc. When something doesn't act like you want it to, try and fix it.

BTW, not really directed at anybody in particular, just my experience with learning Linux. And Solaris. And LDAP. And NIS. And Kerberos. And etc etc etc.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Ularg posted:

Ubuntu is the byproduct of some sort of crazy digital gentrification, that's not to say it's bad or somehow limited, but in much the same way as Windows or OS X you don't really need to see what's going on under the hood anymore. You can try a distribution like Slackware, but keep in mind you'll be stumped from the moment you boot the CD, since it dumps you straight into the shell, and you're left to your own devices for partitioning. Just getting into X requires extra effort, assuming you've gotten that far. I suggest you install GNOME slackbuild because you're used to it, but for extra credit give fluxbox a shot (do a full install, switch between them with xwmconfig) to see how the real hackers roll.

There's an enormous amount of concepts you can skim really badly just to get things working but it's still essential, especially just shell concepts in general, POSIX permissions, vi, grep, gcc, too much to list.

KeviNguyen
Aug 9, 2007
obligatory Asian
I'm a linux newb and I just started messing around with arch again and I'm really enjoying it. I was just wondering a few things though.

-Are there any linux equivalents to RMClock for windows? It's a program that allows you to undervolt your processor. I'm already using cpufrequtils to get the clock speed to adjust.

-Are there any simple paint-like programs? I don't need gimp or anything, just somewhere where I can just maybe add some text and arrows.

-Also, is there a simple way to change tray icons? I'm on openbox if that matters

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

KeviNguyen posted:

-Are there any simple paint-like programs? I don't need gimp or anything, just somewhere where I can just maybe add some text and arrows.

If you like MS Paint there's gnome-paint.

NOTinuyasha posted:

I suggest you install GNOME slackbuild because you're used to it, but for extra credit give fluxbox a shot (do a full install, switch between them with xwmconfig) to see how the real hackers roll.
Real hackers learn Lua to configure awesome wm. :colbert:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Keito posted:

Real hackers learn Lua to configure awesome wm. :colbert:
If you're a lame-rear end like me, you run Xfce with awesome instead of xfwm.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

GregNorc posted:

I keep getting conflicting information from :google:...

What is the proper way to upgrade my kernel if I'm running Ubuntu?

Uhm. . . what do you mean? There is no "proper way" other than following the distro you are usings upgrade path, unless you want to do it like a "real hacker"

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GregNorc posted:

I keep getting conflicting information from :google:...

What is the proper way to upgrade my kernel if I'm running Ubuntu?

Unless you *really* need features from a newer kernel, just use whatever is suggested by the update manager.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

rt4 posted:

Unless you *really* need features from a newer kernel, just use whatever is suggested by the update manager.
Being that the current kernel he's on just plain doesn't work, it might not be a bad idea to compile it himself.

@GregNorc:
I'll go with the old way back when I used gentoo. Download the sources you want, extract them to /usr/src/, cd to the folder, make menuconfig, set the options you need, make, sudo make modules_install, then cp /usr/src/yourlinuxkernel/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/grub/whateveryouwanttocallit.

Then just edit grub to add an option to boot with the new kernel.

This is pretty vague, but it's all just from memory. You'll need some trial and error to figure out what you need. It might be a good idea to try to find the config that ubuntu uses for their kernels and go from there. :)

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Except in Ubuntu you do it the Debian way, using make-kpkg instead of simply make.

Also you can update kernels in Synaptic.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Riso posted:

Except in Ubuntu you do it the Debian way, using make-kpkg instead of simply make.

Yeah, sudo apt-get dist-upgrade should pull the latest kernel, along with everything else. If you're weird and don't want to update any other packages, if you just install 'linux-generic' and 'linux-headers-generic' you'll get the latest kernel.

On my 9.10 box I'm currently getting 2.6.31-20. On a 9.04 box the latest looks to be 2.6.28-18. hth

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GregNorc posted:

I was hoping that if anyone knows a good resource for how to tell if a laptop will run linux properly (eg that it does not freeze up, and most major things, such as wifi and ethernet) are working, I'd appreciate. If anyone has a model/brand they enjoy, please share, price is not an issue, I need to have a working machine by 5/3. I can pay extra (hell that's why I got the thinkpad, I wanted something a step above a Dell), but at this point it's critical I find something that works.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=238666

The X200S seems like it runs okay but it's not quite the same as yours. Have you checked Lenovo's website?

http://comcap.free.fr/x200s.html (link from http://www.linux-on-laptops.com)

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah, sudo apt-get dist-upgrade should pull the latest kernel, along with everything else. If you're weird and don't want to update any other packages, if you just install 'linux-generic' and 'linux-headers-generic' you'll get the latest kernel.

On my 9.10 box I'm currently getting 2.6.31-20. On a 9.04 box the latest looks to be 2.6.28-18. hth
And the latest stable on kernel.org is 2.6.33.

What I'm saying is that if his hardware isn't supported or is unstable on the latest kernel in ubuntu he's gonna need some other source for the kernel. Either an unstable repo (which I don't know any) or compile it himself from source.

There were some major changes in the intel driver between .32 and .33, so it could be a good idea to try that kernel.

Riso posted:

This is a better idea since it'll keep track of the version and update automatically in the future, right?

E: V-- Then that ought to be the best way really. :)

dont skimp on the shrimp fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 22, 2010

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Zom Aur posted:

What I'm saying is that if his hardware isn't supported or is unstable on the latest kernel in ubuntu he's gonna need some other source for the kernel. Either an unstable repo (which I don't know any) or compile it himself from source.

There were some major changes in the intel driver between .32 and .33, so it could be a good idea to try that kernel.

This is a better idea since it'll keep track of the version and update automatically in the future, right?

there is also a ppa for ubuntu kernels all the way up to .34 it seems.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Zom Aur posted:

OK, I wasn't sure if he'd run any upgrades or not. First step is get Ubuntu's latest kernel, and step to can be the PPA for kernels.

Now, onto my problem!

I've got a multi-monitor setup, with a monitor above my main monitor. I'm also running Gnome, with a toolbar on the top of my main monitor. For a maximized window on that screen, and for some other windows, the windows open up against the top of the screen, not against the top of the toolbar, like they would if I didn't have a monitor above the main. Right now my dirty hack is to use the 'hide toolbar' option to get it to slide to the side, then I can touch my menu bar.

This almost isn't even a problem because I don't maximize things on that screen, and for most things I can right click on the window's icon and choose move, but that doesn't work for rdesktop, so I'm stuck with my loving rdesktop windows humping the top of my screen, immovable.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

GregNorc posted:

Basically, my particular processor (i5) has an integrated graphics unit that apparently needs 2.6.33, I found a tutorial online to get the .debs needed and installed.

The other thing is apparently I need to make sure that I have the Intel Xorg driver 2.10 or newer.

Running "apt-cache search xorg | grep intel" brings up an entry titled

"xserver-xorg-video-intel", but when I went to run it, apt told me I'm at the latest version.

I know my kernel is actually higher than the stock Ubuntu 9.04 (2.6.33), so I'm worried that what Ubuntu considers "current" is not actually the latest driver... however it's not mentioning a verson number, if anyone knows how I can verify I'm running Intel Xorg driver 2.10 or higher, I'd appreciate it, I wanna try and do both before restarting.

Thanks for all the help so far BTW :)
aptitude show xserver-xorg-video-intel

Also, why are you running 9.04? Especially since you're having bleeding edge hardware problems, I'd think the latest distro would be the best idea. Hell, the 10.04 RC is out, give that a try.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

aptitude show xserver-xorg-video-intel

Also, why are you running 9.04? Especially since you're having bleeding edge hardware problems, I'd think the latest distro would be the best idea. Hell, the 10.04 RC is out, give that a try.

the other distro i would use is arch since i know my arch machine is on 2.6.33 and has a really easy way of installing searching and installing drivers and packages from the command line.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Are there some good tricks for having "preset" screens in the terminal?

We have a bunch of servers, and once in a while they need restarting, which annoys the hell outta me as I usually have like 10 screens open in various directories each with some terminal history ready so I can get my work done.

Like, I'd like a screen preset to be 4 subscreens in a specific dir, perhaps as a certain user, etc. Is that easy to do somehow? I can't really find anything in the man.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Carthag posted:

We have a bunch of servers, and once in a while they need restarting, which annoys the hell outta me as I usually have like 10 screens open in various directories each with some terminal history ready so I can get my work done.

Like, I'd like a screen preset to be 4 subscreens in a specific dir, perhaps as a certain user, etc. Is that easy to do somehow? I can't really find anything in the man.

Modify, or create the file ~/.screenrc
Add something like :
code:
screen -t <name> 0 cd /dir_1
screen -t <name> 1 cd /dir_2
screen -t <name> 2 cd /dir_3
screen -t <name> 3 cd /dir_4
Check out this page for more :
http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Documentation/Gnu/screen-3.9.4/html_chapter/screen_6.html#SEC12

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Carthag posted:

Are you talking about screen screens or terminal windows? Couldn't you just have one script open them all up?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

GregNorc posted:

Even 10.04 only uses 2.6.32, figured it was better to upgrade the older, stable versions kernel.

New fedora uses 2.6.33 but the stable release isn't til mid may.

If this doesn't work, I will check out arch, thanks for the suggestion.

Edit:

So I got the source for the driver, but when I go to run ./config it says:

It had given a couple other errors but they were fixed by installing the relevant software. However, there is no package called "x11"... I found one called x11-common, but apt says it's installed and at the current version.

Do I need to install something else? Or do I need to do something with XORG_FLAGS, I have no clue what that's talking about, and google isn't helping much... plus I've got a feeling if I just install some random package it'll fix the issue, there were a couple similar messages that were solved by running apt-get install (name of missing package) and by installing build-essential.
You need the relevant -dev packages.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I have a question, I am trying to scan some old photos of mine, and the scanning part is great, however, since the photos are old, I want to scan them at a higher dpi, and then print them off after gimping them at the exact same resolution as the printer scanned them at.

Currently if i scan them at say 2400dpi, the printer wants to print a giant gently caress off image, but if I scale it, it looks like poo poo. any way to have it back to correct size and high resolution?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

I have a question, I am trying to scan some old photos of mine, and the scanning part is great, however, since the photos are old, I want to scan them at a higher dpi, and then print them off after gimping them at the exact same resolution as the printer scanned them at.

Currently if i scan them at say 2400dpi, the printer wants to print a giant gently caress off image, but if I scale it, it looks like poo poo. any way to have it back to correct size and high resolution?

Is 2400dpi the optical or 'interpolated' resolution?

You may want to re-post your question here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=31

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
I'm just getting back into Ubuntu after a couple year hiatus. Anyhow, I've gotten back into the swing of things again, with just a couple of questions:

How do I go about customizing Gnome? I found alot of sites, but they all seem outdated, Or I'm just not looking hard enough. Anyone know of any good sites with themes+wall papers? Thanks.

Also, secondary, I don't know if anyone here will know the answer, but I'm running 9.10 and I have catalyst 10.3 drivers installed for my 5770. When I run Unigine Engine benchmark in windowed mode, it works fine, but in fullscreen mode, it flickers alot with what seems like corrupted images, different colors and whatnot.

Also recommended music/video players?

Edit: Also, when I go into any Terminal (Cntl+Alt F1-6), its just a bunch of multi colored blocks. I assume it's my video driver (since it worked before I installed 10.3). Any ideas on that? I'm slightly confused...

Dradien fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 23, 2010

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Dradien posted:

Also recommended music/video players?
Video: GNOME Mplayer
Music: Audacious' GTK-mode for playlist-centered usage (think Winamp, I mostly listen to digital single releases these days), Quod Libet for database usage.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

deong posted:

Modify, or create the file ~/.screenrc
Add something like :
code:
screen -t <name> 0 cd /dir_1
screen -t <name> 1 cd /dir_2
screen -t <name> 2 cd /dir_3
screen -t <name> 3 cd /dir_4
Check out this page for more :
http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Documentation/Gnu/screen-3.9.4/html_chapter/screen_6.html#SEC12

Thanks, I'll try it out :)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Two X related questions:

1. I know how to tunnel X over SSH, but what if I want to launch an app on the machine's local X display while logged in from another machine over SSH? For example, starting XBMC on my HTPC from my laptop on the couch.

2. Is there something like screen for X? Some way I could connect over SSH, launch some X apps, disconnect, then reconnect or go to the local console and "restore" those apps current state just like I can with CLI/TUI apps?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

wolrah posted:

Two X related questions:

1. I know how to tunnel X over SSH, but what if I want to launch an app on the machine's local X display while logged in from another machine over SSH? For example, starting XBMC on my HTPC from my laptop on the couch.

2. Is there something like screen for X? Some way I could connect over SSH, launch some X apps, disconnect, then reconnect or go to the local console and "restore" those apps current state just like I can with CLI/TUI apps?

1. I think if you set your DISPLAY variable it might work
2. FreeNX.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Anyone here know sed?

I'm scraping some command output from a set of cisco routers & diffing the results against a baseline file to get deviations. Trouble is that the line I want to compare has some pertinent values that change and some non pertinent ones. From what I've found thus far it seems that sed would be a good tool to substitute a constant character for the non pertinent changes.

I'm not really sure how to nest these three 'or' statements together. I've seen examples of (), {}, and [] for nesting multiple statements together in sed. None of them have worked for me. Any suggestions?

sed s/(BDR||DR||DROTH)/./ scrape.txt>scrape-parsed.txt

For anyone that knows cisco routing, what I'm trying to grab is 'sh ip ospf int brief' to track ospf costing changes. I'm already running rancid; but I need to track ospf cost deviations from baseline on a daily basis. Circuits get costed high when a vendor does schedules maintenance, but often no one remembers to change them back later.

GringoGrande
Jul 27, 2001
Nah...

inignot posted:

sed s/(BDR||DR||DROTH)/./ scrape.txt>scrape-parsed.txt

This may or may not be what you are trying to achieve:
code:
sed -E 's/(BDR|DR|DROTH)/\./g' scrape.txt > parsed.txt
Some examples on what the input and output will look like is helpful.

Goon in the Mist
Jan 6, 2006

Can someone recommend some Rainmeter (system monitor) alternatives for Linux?

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
No love.
code:
[fedora box]$sed -E 's/(BDR|DR|DROTH)/\./g' scrape.txt > parsed.txt
sed: invalid option -- 'E'
.....stuff....
[fedora box]$sed -e 's/(BDR|DR|DROTH)/\./g' scrape.txt > parsed.txt
(runs, but doesn't change anything in parsed vs scrape)
This is an example of the command output:

code:
cisco#show ip ospf interface brief
Interface    PID   Area            IP Address/Mask    Cost  State  Nbrs
Se6/0        1     0               1.1.1.1/30   	100   P2P   1/1
Gi0/2        1     0               2.2.2.2/30  		20    BDR   1/1
Lo1          1     0               3.3.3.3/32   	1     LOOP  0/0
cisco#
Via grep, egrep, and grep -v I've been able to trim (there's other parsing prior to scrape.txt to remove login banners, command entry, and other stuff) the output down to this:

code:
Se6/0        1     0               1.1.1.1/30   	100   P2P   1/1
Gi0/2        1     0               2.2.2.2/30  		20    BDR   1/1
Lo1          1     0               3.3.3.3/32   	1     LOOP  0/0
I'm interested in tracking the current cost number via diff against a known good set of output stored in another file. The thing is the state also changes sometimes which will create the appearance of a line vs line diff where cost has not changed. I'm hoping to use sed to delete the state values or change them to a constant character to avoid this.

inignot fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GringoGrande
Jul 27, 2001
Nah...
Second attempt:
code:
$> cat cisco
cisco#show ip ospf interface brief
Interface    PID   Area            IP Address/Mask    Cost  State  Nbrs
Se6/0        1     0               1.1.1.1/30           100   P2P   1/1