Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Svartvit posted:

I'm looking for a 360 game for my girlfriend. She likes The Sims, puzzle games like Luxor, The Movies and other "light-hearted" arcady stuff (I know, the usual stereotype). She won't play Lego games with me, nor Medal of Honor. She's been talking about maybe getting some kind of JRPG, although I suspect she wouldn't like it too heavy on stats and other technical boring crap.

Is there anything for her? I bet someone else has been in the same situation.

Puzzle quest. It's a puzzle game AND an RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

freshlenin posted:

Has she tried Braid? It's not quite a puzzle game but it's certainly not just a platformer. Lumines is a puzzle game similar to Tetris with different mechanics. Those are the only two I own or have played that I know of for the 360 but I'd bet there are a few others on Live Arcade that might fit the bill.

I wavered a bit between Puzzle Quest and Braid but finally bought her the latter, seems like an awesome game. Thanks for the tips!

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
You made the right choice, Braid is awesome and Puzzle Quest is incredibly frustrating.

I am looking for some good word games. The last good word game I've played was Bookworm Adventures and that came out years ago. Google gets me mountains upon mountains of shovelware flash games. I don't care what specific type of word game it is as long as it is a genuinely good game.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

You made the right choice, Braid is awesome and Puzzle Quest is incredibly frustrating.

I am looking for some good word games. The last good word game I've played was Bookworm Adventures and that came out years ago. Google gets me mountains upon mountains of shovelware flash games. I don't care what specific type of word game it is as long as it is a genuinely good game.

I'd be interested to know this too. I've just been playing Scramble on Facebook.

If you haven't already played them, there are a couple good interactive fiction games based upon wordplay: Ad Verbum and Guess the Verb!

Edit: Or if you fancy yourself an amateur linguist, there's The Gostak.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 27, 2010

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Oh I'm quite well acquainted with IF. I love Ad Verbum. Check out The Edifice if you haven't. It's not a perfect game, but has one of the best-realized language puzzles I've ever seen in IF.

edit: also Suveh Nux, similar, simpler, more interactive

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 27, 2010

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Me and the friends are nuts for nerdy board and card games. Arkham Horror, Betrayal at the House on the Hill, Munchkin, etc - the ones that are kind of pseudo-rpgs and turn based. Are there any games on any of the current consoles that we would like to play together? Bonus points for 4-players, super bonus points if it's still fun with only 2 or is playable online.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Danger Mahoney posted:

Me and the friends are nuts for nerdy board and card games. Arkham Horror, Betrayal at the House on the Hill, Munchkin, etc - the ones that are kind of pseudo-rpgs and turn based. Are there any games on any of the current consoles that we would like to play together? Bonus points for 4-players, super bonus points if it's still fun with only 2 or is playable online.

I haven't played this yet myself, but it sounds like Dokapon Kingdom might be the game for you.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Rollersnake posted:

I haven't played this yet myself, but it sounds like Dokapon Kingdom might be the game for you.

Dokapon Kingdom is definitely for you. It's basically a board game RPG. With quests and everything.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks guys, I'll give that one a try. Jesus, that things is very Japanese.

edit: Come to think of it, why don't board game companies like FFG and Avalon Hill just make straight-up adaptations of their awesome games for XBLA and PSN? It would be crazy fun to play them online if you get the itch and can't round up enough people to play, and it would be pretty nice to be able to just start a game without setting up the board for an hour.

Danger Mahoney fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 28, 2010

cool jamal
Mar 27, 2010

by Tiny Fistpump
whats a cool expoloring game. also what are some good rpgs in the similar tio fallout 1 and 2

freshlenin
Apr 20, 2007

cool jamal posted:

whats a cool expoloring game. also what are some good rpgs in the similar tio fallout 1 and 2

Arcanum is quasi-similar to Fallout 1 and 2 if you ignore the setting. Troika, the developer, was composed of a number of people who worked on Fallout. It's a very solid game that mixes magic and steam punk elements. It's buggy as hell without the fan patch though so get that if you want to play it. The game allows you a significant amount of freedom in character development and who your companions are.

As for exploring the The Elder Scrolls series and Fallout 3 have substantial amounts of exploring built into them. Unfortunately the experience isn't great since most times you explore in Oblivion and Fallout 3 you won't find anything notable. It's still fun to wander around for a while though. I haven't done much modding with Oblivion or Fallout 3, maybe someone improved upon the poo poo you'd find in explorable areas so you weren't finding 10mm pistols and rusty swords all the time.

The exploration aspect of most games seems tacked on in my opinion. You can explore in all the GTA games but typically what you find is a random gun here or there or some collection items. Same goes for Just Cause 2, Far Cry 2 or Saint's Row 2...there isn't a ton of variety in what you will find. It feels more like exploring the games mechanics than it does exploring a game world in my own opinion.

It might be worth checking out X3. There are a ton of sectors to explore, some more dangerous than others, and the game is graphically impressive. It's very much a space trading game though. It's difficult to do much of anything in the game without substantial amounts of money. The learning curve is a bit steep since nearly every key on the keyboard is bound to something, and a lot of keys have a shift+ function as well.

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004
Was it for this, my life, I sought? Maybe so, maybe not.

Bluetooth human being posted:

Two fairly recent RPG games that you might want to check out is Divinity 2: Ego Draconis, and Risen.

Divinity 2 you start off as a dragon slayer, and eventually you turn into a dragon (don't worry, I'm not spoiling anything). The game has lots to do in it, is pretty big, plenty of places to explore and tons of quests. The biggest drawback to it though is that the difficulty is all over the place. You can be running through a dungeon getting the poo poo kicked out of you, abusing AI and line of sight, and then two pulls later you'll start destroying everything because you found an awesome axe. Then ten minutes later you're dying again.

Risen is from the makers of Gothic 1 & 2. You're on an island that's of a fairly decent size, and you'll choose what class you want to be by joining with certain groups. The combat takes some getting used to, but is rewarding. You can take on monsters much stronger then you, but it'll be hard, and will take forever. The difficulty of this game isn't as all over the place as Draconis, but there is a certain spot in the game where it just skyrockets and if you haven't built your character right, will make it really really hard. I had to restart three times because I hosed up my character and just wasn't happy with what was going on. I also suck at games, so you're mileage may vary.

Personally, I enjoyed Risen more, but I think both might be worth checking out to scratch that RPG itch.

Those sound fantastic and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Are there any 'survival' based games out there, based on the idea of simply making your way in a world that's gone to fuckery? The sort of game that makes you agonise over whether or not using up ammo in that last fight was wise, or the sort of game that encourages you to limp on with a broken arm and leg simply because you might need those medical kits later on. Basically a game where I'm constantly feeling 'oh gently caress' due to atmosphere and oppression, rather than just a ball-bustingly annoying difficulty curve.

STALKER and Fallout spring to mind, but I've already played those to death. PC or Sex Box only tho'.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Are there any 'survival' based games out there, based on the idea of simply making your way in a world that's gone to fuckery? The sort of game that makes you agonise over whether or not using up ammo in that last fight was wise, or the sort of game that encourages you to limp on with a broken arm and leg simply because you might need those medical kits later on. Basically a game where I'm constantly feeling 'oh gently caress' due to atmosphere and oppression, rather than just a ball-bustingly annoying difficulty curve.

STALKER and Fallout spring to mind, but I've already played those to death. PC or Sex Box only tho'.

I'd recommend Metro 2033 if that game didn't have auto-recovering health. It's pretty much linear STALKER, and pretty good at it. Resources are limited, and the currency (bullets) isn't infinite, so if you want to buy something, you will not see that money again. Also you might find something more useful further down the line. You also feel like you're pissing away money when using bullets, because you can buy/sell ammo, so you're always torn on if you want to use up bullets or go for the kill by other, recoverable means.

But yeah, auto-recovering health which is pretty retarded.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I'm trying to find a new MP game in the vain of TFC. Something that fast paced would be preferable. I tried TF2 but it just feels slow

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
Trying to find more games like Evil Genius, Dungeon Keeper 2, Startopia, Dwarven Fortress and Clonks. Basically base simulator games, or city building games, but of a smaller level than the vast games like SimCity and Anno.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Morpheus posted:

I'd recommend Metro 2033 if that game didn't have auto-recovering health.

Hmm. I've heard good things about this one, actually - how is the game's longevity? It's linear, sure, but is the sort of linear that makes a lasting impression or is it a fairly brief affair? I would go absolutely ballistic if the game lasted more than ten hours. I really get into games like that.

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.

Svartvit posted:

I'm looking for a 360 game for my girlfriend. She likes The Sims, puzzle games like Luxor, The Movies and other "light-hearted" arcady stuff (I know, the usual stereotype). She won't play Lego games with me, nor Medal of Honor. She's been talking about maybe getting some kind of JRPG, although I suspect she wouldn't like it too heavy on stats and other technical boring crap.

Is there anything for her? I bet someone else has been in the same situation.

Fable II, I don't know why but my x loved Fable II. It's the only time I caught her awake at 4am excited to see me up so she could tell me about how she sacrificed her husband and kids to the dark god. Anyway it's an RPG but it is a "light-hearted" arcady kind of RPG so it'll do fine I bet.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

d3c0y2 posted:

Trying to find more games like Evil Genius, Dungeon Keeper 2, Startopia, Dwarven Fortress and Clonks. Basically base simulator games, or city building games, but of a smaller level than the vast games like SimCity and Anno.

Majesty 2 might be right up your alley - you run a fantasy kingdom purely by building buildings.

RollingBoBo
Aug 25, 2008

living that high life
I've played through the tony hawk games on pc and i had loads of fun, but they stopped making them on pc a long time ago. Anything similar?

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Osmosisch posted:

Majesty 2 might be right up your alley - you run a fantasy kingdom purely by building buildings.

Ohh and its on steam too, downloading now. thanks for the tip.

forbiddendelirium posted:

Stuff

Fyi, I love your avatar. Lock stock and two smoking barrels rocks :)

d3c0y2 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 31, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Culdcept SAGA is probably more like Magic the Gathering and a boardgame, but it's a lot of fun, and plays online.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Hmm. I've heard good things about this one, actually - how is the game's longevity? It's linear, sure, but is the sort of linear that makes a lasting impression or is it a fairly brief affair? I would go absolutely ballistic if the game lasted more than ten hours. I really get into games like that.

I think it's about 10 hours, though it really depends. Since the game isn't really the type where you run through each level, blasting baddies, things tend to take time as you poke in every nook and cranny, searching for ammo, gas mask filters, etc. Also, non-combat areas take a little bit of time to get through if you're looking around, buying and selling stuff, scrounging for bullets...so it's really how you play.

I haven't beaten the game yet, but I can definitely see me taking more than ten hours to do so.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Osmosisch posted:

Fyi this is right up my alley after playing for a bit, thank you so much.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Morpheus posted:

I think it's about 10 hours, though it really depends. Since the game isn't really the type where you run through each level, blasting baddies, things tend to take time as you poke in every nook and cranny, searching for ammo, gas mask filters, etc. Also, non-combat areas take a little bit of time to get through if you're looking around, buying and selling stuff, scrounging for bullets...so it's really how you play.

I haven't beaten the game yet, but I can definitely see me taking more than ten hours to do so.

Holy gently caress, I'm getting this over the weekend then. I thought it'd be fairly run and gun with some slow bits (akin to Condemned), but that sounds fantastic.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

d3c0y2 posted:

Fyi this is right up my alley after playing for a bit, thank you so much.

Glad I could help :)

The first couple of Settlers game are also fun hands-off city-building games, but from what I heard the newer entries in the series kind of went off that particular set of rails.

The second games is on GOG.com though it may have aged a bit too much graphically.

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

I want a zombie survival game, but it plays like an RTS or Sims game. You start off with a small group of survivors, and you control them to do things like scavenge food, scavenge other supplies, create weapons, build/work farms, set up defenses, find other survivors, etc. All controlled from a top-down RTS style view. I don't think there's a game like this, any hope?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rabbi posted:

I want a zombie survival game, but it plays like an RTS or Sims game. You start off with a small group of survivors, and you control them to do things like scavenge food, scavenge other supplies, create weapons, build/work farms, set up defenses, find other survivors, etc. All controlled from a top-down RTS style view. I don't think there's a game like this, any hope?

You could kind of try Survival Crisis Z. It's the closest I can think of. It's more top-down action, but you can find survivors and set up safe houses and such.

If you find something more rts, post it, because someone needs to make one.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anyone want to recommend me some Battle for Wesnoth campaigns? I haven't really played any for more than a mission. There's so many, I don't know where to start.

Basically, what are the best campaigns for it?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I want to play a (PC) game where I can have a smooth talking character who can easily con/out-talk people. I want to become well known and powerful, even if I have to kill some people in the process. Pretty basic desire, really. I'm guessing that Fallout 3 is my best route?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

IntoTheNihil posted:

I want to play a (PC) game where I can have a smooth talking character who can easily con/out-talk people. I want to become well known and powerful, even if I have to kill some people in the process. Pretty basic desire, really. I'm guessing that Fallout 3 is my best route?

Fallout 2 is actually much closer to what you're talking about, if you don't require a modern gaming experience. You can get a digital copy for like :10bux:.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

IntoTheNihil posted:

Check out Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines, conversation is a big part of that game and there are like 5 separate persuade skills. Fallout 3's not bad, though.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
I need a game (for PC) that allows in-depth customising of your vehicle. Upgrading, replacing, customising my car/boat/spaceship/other vessel is like crack to me.

Games i've played that match this are:
Rock N Roll Racing - Not quite enough customisation for my liking
Infinite Space - Great level of customisation, but its for the DS and is a little incesty plotwise
Hard Truck Apocalypse - This is perfect, give me more of this i'll be happy.
Captain Forever - A "full" game like this would also be great
robot arena 2 - gently caress yeah, a good robotwars/battlebots game that doesnt suck? Shame it crashes constantly.
X3 - Has alot of what i want, but has a massive learning curve and feels a bit empty.

So yeah, game needs to have a Main method of transport which requires upgrading/customising/replacing. Any suggestions for my odd fetish?

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?

Captain Hair posted:

I need a game (for PC) that allows in-depth customising of your vehicle. Upgrading, replacing, customising my car/boat/spaceship/other vessel is like crack to me.

Infinite Space - Great level of customisation, but its for the DS and is a little incesty plotwise
robot arena 2 - gently caress yeah, a good robotwars/battlebots game that doesnt suck? Shame it crashes constantly.
X3 - Has alot of what i want, but has a massive learning curve and feels a bit empty.

So yeah, game needs to have a Main method of transport which requires upgrading/customising/replacing. Any suggestions for my odd fetish?

Escape Velocity Nova: Nowhere near the complexity of X3, but massive amounts of customization. It also has awesome branching and interconnected plot lines that constitute the most well-done campaign in a game... ever.

X3 is not at all empty if you stick with it for about a month and don't restart your game. It's worth it. (Maybe it doesn't take that long, it took me a month because I don't game that much). The game won't feel empty at all when you're flying a tricked-out carrier with a massive fighter complement and huge wing of destroyers, corvettes, and other ships backing you up. When you start laying waste to entire fleets and sectors and so on. And there's a lot of ship tweaking. But it takes one hell of a long time to get to that point.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Space Rangers 2. http://store.steampowered.com/app/46330/ (for some reason every screenshot is of the RTS segment, that's just one tiny segment that makes up a small portion of the game.)

It's basically an X style game where you fly around space doing missions and whatever, trading, upgrading your ship, and all that. Except it's entirely in 2D and partially turn based. And there's a TON of poo poo to do. Usually you're cruising around fighting the main plot enemies (which has a dynamic campaign that's kinda cool), shooting pirates, being a pirate, whatever. But there are also RTS segments where you command guys on the ground, there's even really hilariously translated text adventure segments. But the overall game universe is huge.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm looking for a turnbased wargame where you get to command massive tactical battles where I can have 100,000 troops, on the field, spread out along a front a couple of miles long, that I can move around at the brigade or divisional level. Preferably 19th century.

Essentially a game where you get something like the Austerlitz OOB at the start of the game and go from there.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anybody know of a good low-resource game that I can have running in the background while I work? I like to take breaks every hour and I'd like something I can play for a little while, keep working, repeat.

No, not Prgress Quest. <:mad:>

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Captain Hair posted:

Ever play Freelancer? That's my favorite space game.

Also, what do you mean about Infinite Space being "incesty"? I was thinking about picking that up.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
Are there any recent games that are like GalCiv 2 or Sins of a Solar Empire?
I really enjoy the expansion and the way that it all meshes togther

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Ever play Freelancer? That's my favorite space game.

Also, what do you mean about Infinite Space being "incesty"? I was thinking about picking that up.

There's a kind of lovely sub-plot that happens where "MAYBE SHE ISN'T REALLY YOUR SISTER?" and "It's OK, really, we wont think less of you!" happens a few times sporadically. Basically, typical anime nonsense. It doesn't persist throughout the whole game.