Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Which VPS software makes it possible to oversell?

If you are using Xen, it's impossible to oversell disk/memory, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elected by Dogs
Apr 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Which VPS software makes it possible to oversell?

If you are using Xen, it's impossible to oversell disk/memory, right?

You can oversell disk i/o, network, CPU, etc. no matter what pretty much..
Xen can be oversold as of 3.3: http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2008/08/27/xen-33-feature-memory-overcommit/

I stay far away from OpenVZ, Virtuozzo because most of those providers suck horrible poo poo and are oversold to crap (sorry to the one or two honest ones)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm trying to do the math on how many customers you'd have to have to compete with slicehost, (offering a lower price) and still make money

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 15, 2010

Elected by Dogs
Apr 20, 2006
keep in mind a few other things: they are owned by Rackspace and pay much less for space, bandwidth, power, and I seriously mean a billion times less than what you would probably pay at any decent place

Corporate buying power, etc.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Elected by Dogs posted:

keep in mind a few other things: they are owned by Rackspace and pay much less for space, bandwidth, power, and I seriously mean a billion times less than what you would probably pay at any decent place

Corporate buying power, etc.

I was reading a blog of one of the smaller VPS places, and the guy is building his own servers with just 2 SATA drives per machine, etc. Yuck. Over 36 months, the cost of buying a better server doesn't affect profit too much. I also think he's on 10mb links and not 100.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Can anyone recommend cheap ASP.NET/Windows shared hosts? I don't need much but cheapness is important. These seem to be drat difficult to find - most hosts seem to only cater to a different crows.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

EssOEss posted:

Can anyone recommend cheap ASP.NET/Windows shared hosts? I don't need much but cheapness is important. These seem to be drat difficult to find - most hosts seem to only cater to a different crows.

I've been using Softsys hosting for a while now and haven't had any issues. Support has been very responsive as well.

http://www.softsyshosting.com/Win08Hosting.aspx

Not sure if this is kosher or not (if not, no big deal), but if it does look worthwhile, they do have an affiliate program you can use to sign up:

http://members.softsyshosting.com/aff.php?aff=177

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005

nbv4 posted:

go on irc and find someone with a vps and ask them for an account

or pay 3 bux a month at http://www.amdwebhost.com/

Thank you for suggesting us kind sir :-D

If you guys have any questions I would be happy to answer them as shell hosting could be a little tricky!

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
An '04 Mac user from the UK. What's worse?
What hosting company would be best for a site that sells screencasts? I haven't dealt with hosting large videos before.

If anyone is looking for UK shared hosting, you really can't go wrong with Clook. Their customer support is absolutely fantastic. I've received replies to my tickets within 10 minutes and most of the time they have already sorted the problem without me having to ask further questions.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
I've used NearlyFreeSpeech.NET in the past and really liked them. Not like other shared hosts at all.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Are there any cheap and decent (For low traffic and low space needs) web hosts in the UK?

I host my websites in the US, but my dad wants to host a website in the UK, so I told him I'd look into it.

I pay $10 a year for my US hosting, have never had a problem, and apart from space and bandwidth, get unlimited everything (Add-on addresses, databases etc.)

I know I'll be paying more in the UK, but is there anything for £20-£30 a year that doesn't restrict something? Easily.co.uk do a package for £24.99 a year that would be fine if they didn't allow only one MySQL Database.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Centipeed posted:

Are there any cheap and decent (For low traffic and low space needs) web hosts in the UK?

I host my websites in the US, but my dad wants to host a website in the UK, so I told him I'd look into it.

I pay $10 a year for my US hosting, have never had a problem, and apart from space and bandwidth, get unlimited everything (Add-on addresses, databases etc.)

I know I'll be paying more in the UK, but is there anything for £20-£30 a year that doesn't restrict something? Easily.co.uk do a package for £24.99 a year that would be fine if they didn't allow only one MySQL Database.

Check these few:

http://www.ukvaluecomputing.co.uk/web-hosting/bronze_plan.php
https://www.exoware.net/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=1 (this one is only 5 quid with code "FIVER" when signing up, probably goes to up 23.40/yr after that.)
http://www.studyhost.co.uk/ (Use code "FailOffer for 25% off, plans starting under 10 pounds a year)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Bob Morales posted:

I'm trying to do the math on how many customers you'd have to have to compete with slicehost, (offering a lower price) and still make money

When you turn a profit how about you buy yourself a legit copy of Office you filthy pirate.

nugget of poo
Dec 26, 2003

toxick posted:

I've used NearlyFreeSpeech.NET in the past and really liked them. Not like other shared hosts at all.

I really like nfsn too. I put $5 on my account in October, and I've only recently had to top up. That being said, I'm only hosting a small WordPress blog with less than one visitor a day, so I have no idea how cost-effective they are for better-trafficked sites.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

DNova posted:

Check these few:
http://www.studyhost.co.uk/ (Use code "FailOffer for 25% off, plans starting under 10 pounds a year)

Thank you, this is perfect.

I'm always shocked when I look at UK hosting and see that they're charging £30 a year for less than what I get at £7 a year from a US host.

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005

Centipeed posted:

Thank you, this is perfect.

I'm always shocked when I look at UK hosting and see that they're charging £30 a year for less than what I get at £7 a year from a US host.

Bandwidth is generally more expensive in UK (or used to be since the last time I checked).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Rufo posted:

When you turn a profit how about you buy yourself a legit copy of Office you filthy pirate.

Not :filez: I promise. Re-sized my Windows partition and WGA flipped out.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

EssOEss posted:

I always feel out of place posting as a web host in one of these threads, but Lithium Hosting now has ASP / .Net hosting available. It's a new offering and isn't advertised on the website or SA-Mart thread at all.
Direct Signup Link. It's $69.99 a year for unlimited disk and bandwidth.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Elected by Dogs posted:

cPanel sucks and I can't even add DNS entries to it. DirectAdmin lets you add anything from AAAA to PTR to SRV :(

This depends on your host, for example, Lithium Hosting allows you to fully manage your DNS from cPanel.

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005

DarkLotus posted:

I always feel out of place posting as a web host in one of these threads, but Lithium Hosting now has ASP / .Net hosting available. It's a new offering and isn't advertised on the website or SA-Mart thread at all.

Can you share where you got unlimited disk and bandwidth? We might move our 7 servers to your $69.99 account.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Stacie posted:

Can you share where you got unlimited disk and bandwidth? We might move our 7 servers to your $69.99 account.

Its one of the products we sell. There is a 30-day money back guarantee if for any reason you aren't satisfied too. So really there is no reason not to give it a shot!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

DarkLotus posted:

You have some more details on this? The sign up page was a bit vague :)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I work for singlehop and we have 2 other goons on board why are we not listed <:mad:>

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

flyboi posted:

I work for singlehop and we have 2 other goons on board why are we not listed <:mad:>

I'll jump on this bandwagon too and mention that I work for HostDime (as well as SurpassHosting), along with a few other goons. Can we get added to the OP as well? HostDime does Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated, and Colocated Servers out of our main Orlando, FL Datacenter as well as our 6 other locations throughout the world. Surpass Hosting (surpasshosting.com) does Shared, Reseller, VPS, and Dedicated via our Orlando Datacenter as well as our space in the UK.

Thanks!

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Maneki Neko posted:

You have some more details on this? The sign up page was a bit vague :)

I'll post some info in the SA-Mart thread so as to not clutter this thread. The reason there isn't much information about it yet is because it is a new offering and we haven't started advertising it yet.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
I've been using free hosting from http://www.zymic.com/free-web-hosting/ for a couple years. I've had to use support a couple times and the live chat worked good enough for me.

quote:

Disk space
5000MB
Data transfer (Monthly)
50000MB
Control Panel
ZHCP
Number of Accounts
Unlimited
FTP Access
Yes
Advertisements
No

Free Web Hosting - PHP and Databases

PHP
Ver 5.2.12
MySQL Databases
PHPMyAdmin
Ver 2.8.2

Free Web Hosting - Domain Names

Sub-Domains
Yes
TLD Domain
Yes

Free Web Hosting - Zymic Hosting Control Panel (ZHCP) Features

File Manager
Yes
Statistics
Webalizer
MySQL Management
Yes
Free Support
Yes
Account Settings
Yes

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

auruspex posted:

I'll jump on this bandwagon too and mention that I work for HostDime (as well as SurpassHosting), along with a few other goons. Can we get added to the OP as well? HostDime does Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated, and Colocated Servers out of our main Orlando, FL Datacenter as well as our 6 other locations throughout the world. Surpass Hosting (surpasshosting.com) does Shared, Reseller, VPS, and Dedicated via our Orlando Datacenter as well as our space in the UK.

Thanks!

HostDime has an anti-IRC policy, which is pretty ridiculous. But you allow game servers, which makes so much sense, right?

Game servers: High bandwidth, high cpu, target of attack
IRC: extremely low bandwidth, low cpu, target of attack MAYBE if you're doing shady crap.

Asinine.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
I set up a domain and hosting through GoDaddy yesterday and the server went live today. I promptly uploaded the simple HTML website I had prepared for the site and now I can't view *anything* on the website. I just receive a 403 Forbidden message. The website is https://www.fccmissoula.org . I contacted support twice and they just escalated the issue so they could hang up, since they where clueless as to what the gently caress is going on.

I am royally pissed off since I just paid for service I have yet to get. GoDaddy is a piece-of-poo poo company, I should've know better.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

DNova posted:

HostDime has an anti-IRC policy, which is pretty ridiculous. But you allow game servers, which makes so much sense, right?

IRC: extremely low bandwidth, low cpu, target of attack MAYBE if you're doing shady crap.

Asinine.
Most of the VPS hosts I've seen forbid IRC. Burst.Net autoscans for "ircd.conf" and warns anybody with it that they need to remove it immediately. Note that I only look at cheap (<$15/mo) plans. High end servers will allow more.

Hell, ServerOrigin takes it one step farther:

quote:

ServerOrigin.Com does not allow torrent clients or trackers due to copyright issues and resource abuse. Background daemons such as IRC bots, eggdrop, BitchX, XiRCON and any other program that interferes with normal server operation are not allowed on web servers. Web proxies are also not tolerated due to resource abuse. When using an account with shell, you are not allowed to run any servers or services on the ServerOrigin.Com network. Servers are defined as perlbots, proxies, bitchX, psyBnc, root exploits, DDoS scripts, Shoutcast servers, etc. Running any of these will face an immediate suspension, and users will be subject to a fine no less than $50.00 USD, and no more than $100.00 USD.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Woodsy Owl posted:

I set up a domain and hosting through GoDaddy yesterday and the server went live today. I promptly uploaded the simple HTML website I had prepared for the site and now I can't view *anything* on the website. I just receive a 403 Forbidden message. The website is https://www.fccmissoula.org . I contacted support twice and they just escalated the issue so they could hang up, since they where clueless as to what the gently caress is going on.

I am royally pissed off since I just paid for service I have yet to get. GoDaddy is a piece-of-poo poo company, I should've know better.

seems to be working ????

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Most of the VPS hosts I've seen forbid IRC. Burst.Net autoscans for "ircd.conf" and warns anybody with it that they need to remove it immediately. Note that I only look at cheap (<$15/mo) plans. High end servers will allow more.

Hell, ServerOrigin takes it one step farther:

I'm not even talking about running irc servers just IRC in general. Although I think banning ircds is lame as well. Ban the abusers not the entire idea.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

DNova posted:

Ban the abusers not the entire idea.
An IRC server that gets hit with a DDoS would be a problem.

Banning IRC clients is dumb. You can always try the "Run it and hope they don't find it" method.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

An IRC server that gets hit with a DDoS would be a problem.

Banning IRC clients is dumb. You can always try the "Run it and hope they don't find it" method.

There are tons of private tiny little IRC networks that barely get any activity, let alone attacks. There are tons of IRC channels on major networks that are not attack magnets as well.

The policy is beyond stupid.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

DNova posted:

I'm not even talking about running irc servers just IRC in general. Although I think banning ircds is lame as well. Ban the abusers not the entire idea.

Having worked in the industry for 5+ years now and worked at places that did allow ircds I can tell you it isn't worth the crap you get from those few clients that run ircds. I'd say 50% were legitimate networks and the other 50% were either botnets or chinese clients who would get attacks. At one time we had a client who had a 40Gbit attack on a single ip. The attack was so large that they had to pull our fiber at the base of the building because it was affecting not only our data center but other clients in the building as well. The provider was cogent which has no filtering so there was literally nothing that could be done until the attack subsided and we had a downtime of around 12 hours while cogent tried to get the attack null routed.

That said singlehop does not allow ircds on our network.

Gelob
Jun 9, 2006

I work at http://www.limestonenetworks.com we are an un-managed dedicated server provider in Dallas. On the subject we do allow IRC as long as your not linking to efnet, linknet, etc. We run a GameSurge.net server as well (Limestone.TX.US.GameSurge.net).

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005

DNova posted:

Asinine.

IRC is more prone to abuse and requires semi-open shell access.

Plus monitoring/upkeep of an IRC server is more complicated.

Completely different ball game.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Stacie posted:

IRC is more prone to abuse and requires semi-open shell access.

Plus monitoring/upkeep of an IRC server is more complicated.

Completely different ball game.

These are virtual private servers and dedicated servers which by default have wide open shells and root access. What is so hard about maintaining an IRCD? Not that maintenance of services has ANYTHING to do with the host. It's completely up to the customer. Not the host's problem.

And besides that, I'm not even talking about running an IRCD.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 28, 2010

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

basically, botnet owners should move on to XMPP

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005

DNova posted:

These are virtual private servers and dedicated servers which by default have wide open shells and root access. What is so hard about maintaining an IRCD? Not that maintenance of services has ANYTHING to do with the host. It's completely up to the customer. Not the host's problem.

And besides that, I'm not even talking about running an IRCD.

I'm not sure why you are arguing with somebody who runs a shell hosting company for over 7 years.

Virtual private servers and dedicated servers do not share users with open shell access on the same machine. Again completely different ball game.

I never said it's hard to maintain IRCD.

I said that it's hard to maintain IRC server, as in a server that offers IRC friendly shell accounts.

I'm sure from user perspective everything looks very easy, you add users to a server and go lay on the beach; but that's not the case in the real world application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Stacie posted:

I'm not sure why you are arguing with somebody who runs a shell hosting company for over 7 years.

Virtual private servers and dedicated servers do not share users with open shell access on the same machine. Again completely different ball game.

I never said it's hard to maintain IRCD.

I said that it's hard to maintain IRC server, as in a server that offers IRC friendly shell accounts.

I'm sure from user perspective everything looks very easy, you add users to a server and go lay on the beach; but that's not the case in the real world application.

I'm not really sure what you're talking about... I think we're talking about different things. IRCD = IRC Server = Server to which users connect in order to chat in IRC channels.

Shell accounts offering IRC access for things like bnc and eggdrop bots are completely different. I would never want to run a service like that.

edit: I would believe you if you told me the majority of those "shell accounts" are abused, but I don't think most VPS (at least higher end ones)/Dedi/Colo users are intending to get into shady bullshit with their expensive servers.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 28, 2010