Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greenfield
Jan 27, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were waiting for the software to come out of beta. Questionable scraping/lack of manual scraping override alone would piss off a fair number of customers.

This is exactly what I am waiting to see. Boxee got a ton of my movies wrong. If they fix the file scraping part I will probably get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Greenfield posted:

This is exactly what I am waiting to see. Boxee got a ton of my movies wrong. If they fix the file scraping part I will probably get it.

The alpha actually had a "wrong movie?" button. I can't imagine why they got rid of it for the beta.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Question RE: Scraping

I have all my videos set up perfectly in iTunes, with cover art, descriptions, release dates, actors, etc (used MetaZ, works great)

My question is, with scraping, is it going to ignore all this and try to find the info on the 'net? Or will it accept my meta tags and display that info instead?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sweet merciful crap, Boxee looking to develop an iPhone/iPad app.

This would be amazing.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

bilperkins2 posted:

Question RE: Scraping

I have all my videos set up perfectly in iTunes, with cover art, descriptions, release dates, actors, etc (used MetaZ, works great)

My question is, with scraping, is it going to ignore all this and try to find the info on the 'net? Or will it accept my meta tags and display that info instead?

It unfortunately ignores all of this, and tries to find info based on the file name. Works okay for movies, but TV episodes are all "XX - Title" and cluttering up the movies section.

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

Is Boxee really, really slow for anyone else? If I click on Movies for example, it takes about 10 seconds before it starts loading the covers. TV shows are worse, when I pick a show, it will take about 20-30 seconds before it gets to where I can choose an episode.

Scanning is horrid too, it took about 5 hours to index 400 movies.

This is on an E8400 with a GTS260, so it's definitely not my computer.

One Arm Manny
May 17, 2008
I'm planning on purchasing a Boxee Box when they're released to replace my XBox running XBMC. How does Boxee handle playback of iso files? Some google searching shows that there are issues with jumpy playback, but it's difficult to tell if this has been resolved.

My idea is to rip all of my DVDs to iso for easy playback. Since I don't really care about the extras (I actually plan on stripping them out) I wonder if I should consider another format? I have tried creating mkv files with handbrake, and am happier with the file sizes, but it takes considerably longer to create the files and my xbox can't play them smoothly. Any suggestions?

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz

CDOR Gemini posted:

It unfortunately ignores all of this, and tries to find info based on the file name. Works okay for movies, but TV episodes are all "XX - Title" and cluttering up the movies section.

Installed Boxee beta last night, ran the scan overnight.

Out of my 300 movies, all formatted in title.mp4 format, it recognizes 147, and gets 22 of them wrong.

Out of my 1500 TV show episodes, formatted in showname S.EE episodename.mp4 format, it recognizes 4 episodes, and gets all of them wrong.

And this is my lite collection, I have another 200 movies and 4000 TV episodes sitting on drives at work that I didn't use for this.

That recognition rate makes Boxee worthless to me. I am absolutely not going to rename 5000 TV episodes, losing the episode name in the filename, just to get this working.

They need to recognize iTunes metatagging. I know tons of people who use iTunes for their video ever since the iPhone came out.

Is there some kind of technical reason why it's not supported? Or is it just they feel they can perfect their scraping system, thus making it unnecessary?

Greenfield
Jan 27, 2005

bilperkins2 posted:

Installed Boxee beta last night, ran the scan overnight.

Out of my 300 movies, all formatted in title.mp4 format, it recognizes 147, and gets 22 of them wrong.

Out of my 1500 TV show episodes, formatted in showname S.EE episodename.mp4 format, it recognizes 4 episodes, and gets all of them wrong.

And this is my lite collection, I have another 200 movies and 4000 TV episodes sitting on drives at work that I didn't use for this.

That recognition rate makes Boxee worthless to me. I am absolutely not going to rename 5000 TV episodes, losing the episode name in the filename, just to get this working.

They need to recognize iTunes metatagging. I know tons of people who use iTunes for their video ever since the iPhone came out.

Is there some kind of technical reason why it's not supported? Or is it just they feel they can perfect their scraping system, thus making it unnecessary?

I feel you. The software got tons of my movies wrong. I didn't even bother to have it scrape my tv shows. The boxee people need to get with the XBMC people on the scraping part. XBMC got 98% of both TV and movies right.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

bilperkins2 posted:

I think it's just that their priority is getting streaming working really well, because that's where the money will be.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Weird, I've got ~400 movies in my file server and the Boxee beta only missed 4 titles. I'm running the Mac version, so maybe there's a difference?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My TV collection has 41 series totaling over 2200 episodes ("<Show Name>\SSxEE - <Episode Name>.<ext>" format). XBMC gets them with 100% accuracy. Boxee Beta on Linux gets nothing.

Same with movies. Over 200 of them, not one gets recognized. XBMC has about 98% accuracy.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Looks like there were some pretty big updates in the latest beta (under the NHL part of the story).
http://blog.boxee.tv/2010/04/19/nhl-updated-beta/

Specifically, Manual Movie & TV Show identification.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
New beta is a smidgen better at dealing with iTunes-tagged video - now instead of shoving all your TV episodes in the movies section it mostly just realizes it doesn't know what the gently caress it's talking about and stows them in an "Unrecognized Files" area. I still had a few false positives, but they are correctable thanks to the new "Identify File" button. Unfortunately, this process is super-cumbersome, and you must do it for every goddamned episode, even if they are all in a folder labelled "Veronica Mars."

Short version: A tiny improvement, but still far from ideal.

Beloved Cunt
Jan 14, 2004

CDOR Gemini posted:

New beta is a smidgen better at dealing with iTunes-tagged video - now instead of shoving all your TV episodes in the movies section it mostly just realizes it doesn't know what the gently caress it's talking about and stows them in an "Unrecognized Files" area. I still had a few false positives, but they are correctable thanks to the new "Identify File" button. Unfortunately, this process is super-cumbersome, and you must do it for every goddamned episode, even if they are all in a folder labelled "Veronica Mars."

Short version: A tiny improvement, but still far from ideal.

Theres a tick box that says <try and resolve other videos in this folder> which should do what youre after? This works fine for me.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The new beta won't stop crashing with "error id 5" while I wait for it to re-scan my files. Is anyone else on Windows 7 x64 experiencing this?

e: pointing it at my enormous TV folder seems to bring it on. I think I'm going to have to go show folder by show folder.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 22, 2010

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Whats the lifetime expectancy on this thing in terms of HD resolution? Eventually 1080p will not be the top end, it is inevitable. I'm not talking 10 years or more, in the space of 10 years we've gone from TV that looked like someone smeared vasoline over the camera lens to what is now crystal clear content. In something as short as a year or two we could expect another jump possibly doubling down on 1080. Is this thing capable rendering stuff beyond that with a firmware update down the road or is the hardware stretched to render 1080?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I think the question we should be asking is if this thing will even be released before 1080p becomes obsolete.

:argh:

But no, I don't expect that kind of future proofing from a $200 media player. It's not like I'm expecting any of the current game consoles to suddenly support 4K with a firmware upgrade, so why would this?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

YouTuber posted:

Whats the lifetime expectancy on this thing in terms of HD resolution? Eventually 1080p will not be the top end, it is inevitable. I'm not talking 10 years or more, in the space of 10 years we've gone from TV that looked like someone smeared vasoline over the camera lens to what is now crystal clear content. In something as short as a year or two we could expect another jump possibly doubling down on 1080. Is this thing capable rendering stuff beyond that with a firmware update down the road or is the hardware stretched to render 1080?

Well, the next big thing is 3D and i'm sure the boxee box (or anything except blu-ray players) supports it.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
In all reality consumer broadcast standards hadn't changed for four decades before HDTV. If you had bought a TV in the last 60 years you could watch with an antenna up until last summer.

There won't be anything popular and incompatible with a device like this for quite a while.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I just installed this on my wife's old laptop this past weekend, and it's fantastic.I love it so much. I'm also using the 3rd party Android remote on my G1 phone. Doesn't work as well as the iPhone app, but it's still great.

My only question is this: The wife's laptop is XP (Media Center Edition) , and I run a G5 imac upstairs, running leopard. They are both on a wireless network.
I have USB hard drives on the iMac full of video I want to stream through Boxee. Is there a way to do this? I'd just like to know, if not I'll continue just using my PS3/360. I'm optimistic. Just curious.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Outside of a few niche projector people who spend tons of money on home theater, 1080p is probably going to be just about it for home viewing for most of our lifetimes aside from additions like 3d. It's not a matter of technological limitations, it's a matter of biological limitations. Most of use aren't even using a screen size/viewing distance ratio that takes full advantage of 1080p as it is. There's simply no point to going to a higher resolution.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

YouTuber posted:

Is this thing capable rendering stuff beyond that with a firmware update down the road or is the hardware stretched to render 1080?

It doesn't appear that it can output more than 1920x1080. The Tegra2 specs page lists the video modes (http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra_250.html) it can support.

skeetio
Apr 6, 2005

Don't go in there..
Could we be seeing an announcement this week about the release date? This post from an admin over at the boxee forums would seem to indicate we may.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Outside of a few niche projector people who spend tons of money on home theater, 1080p is probably going to be just about it for home viewing for most of our lifetimes aside from additions like 3d. It's not a matter of technological limitations, it's a matter of biological limitations. Most of use aren't even using a screen size/viewing distance ratio that takes full advantage of 1080p as it is. There's simply no point to going to a higher resolution.

Not to mention how the content providers dragged their feet and screamed and kicked to implement HD in the first place. There's no way that anything over 1080p will exist outside of gaming and maybe some super niche hobbyist for a long long time.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Is a USB hookup fast enough for HD files? Like if I have a 13 gig 1080p file and put it on an external hard drive, it would play fine on this (or any other media player)?

This probably sounds like a stupid question, but my experience with USB is that it never seems as fast as it should be, so I just want to make sure.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

abagofcheetos posted:

Is a USB hookup fast enough for HD files? Like if I have a 13 gig 1080p file and put it on an external hard drive, it would play fine on this (or any other media player)?

This probably sounds like a stupid question, but my experience with USB is that it never seems as fast as it should be, so I just want to make sure.

I've streamed 25-45GB full HD 1080p bluray images via an old USB hard drive attached to my WDTV Live just fine. That said, I'm definitely going to be replacing my WDTV with this thing once it's released. WDs firmware is a joke, but the box itself is a trooper. Boxee just had the superior UI and web intergration.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I bought a HDMI to DVI cable for use on the family TV downstairs (TV in question has no HDMI since it predates the standard) and if I connect it and RCA audio cables to the TV, is it likely that would work to have it play or would there be some HDCP or electrical issue that would leave only a blank screen?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

NYIslander posted:

I bought a HDMI to DVI cable for use on the family TV downstairs (TV in question has no HDMI since it predates the standard) and if I connect it and RCA audio cables to the TV, is it likely that would work to have it play or would there be some HDCP or electrical issue that would leave only a blank screen?

Typically a TV will have a set of RCA inputs meant specifically for whatever DVI/VGA ports are on it, it won't affect HDCP.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
As long as the TV supports HDCP, which might be iffy since you said the TV predates the HDMI standard.

Edit: Thought I was in a different thread when I answered that, but I suppose I can pose a question now: Does Boxee require HDCP for certain content?

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

skeetio posted:

Could we be seeing an announcement this week about the release date? This post from an admin over at the boxee forums would seem to indicate we may.

I'm hoping to still hear about this. I'm so ready for the Boxee Box, this thing is beautiful.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz

Crosspost with the XBMC thread:

bilperkins2 posted:

http://gizmodo.com/5543689/google-tv-combines-tv-android-and-all-of-the-internet

Google's new set-top box has integrated Amazon VOD, Netflix, Youtube "Leanback" (similar to Hulu Desktop's navigation), I assume Hulu considering it's open web, Dish Network integration, Flash support, Wifi, HDMI, Logitech keyboard/mouse/pointer, and app support.

Launching at Best Buy's in Fall 2010, no price announced.

I didn't see anywhere support for local video files, but app support implies they could make an XBMC app, maybe?

Not sure I want a Boxee anymore, considering Google's reach...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

bilperkins2 posted:

Seriously. Google TV has been made top priority. Looks like my future purchase of the Boxee Box isn't going to happen and my WDTV Live has been made out to be a bitch.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

bilperkins2 posted:

God drat it Microsoft, you could have beaten Google to this by years if you didn't have your heads up your loving asses all this time.

It says it connects to your cable box via HDMI. Does it process that video at all, like putting overlays and interface on top of it, or does it just sort of fake it with passthrough and an IR blaster when you select a currently-airing TV show?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

God drat it Microsoft, you could have beaten Google to this by years if you didn't have your heads up your loving asses all this time.

It says it connects to your cable box via HDMI. Does it process that video at all, like putting overlays and interface on top of it, or does it just sort of fake it with passthrough and an IR blaster when you select a currently-airing TV show?

It seems like it processes the video with GUI overlays as you said via the engadget on-hands video - http://goo.gl/I06J

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 20, 2010

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz

TheScott2K posted:

I think it allows you to augment it, like having a twitter feed about a show running alongside it or looking up stats during a game.

Gizmodo posted:

How about augmenting TV? Here's them putting the TV in a picture in picture. So he searches up the stuff he wants (box score) while the TV is still going on. So he can track what's going on on the game in the big window and watch the game in the little window.

More examples: Seeing a twitter stream about what you're watching now. Or bring an ad from what you're watching on TV into a web search.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
So does google tv support divx/h.264/etc or what

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 20, 2010

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

So does google tv support divx/h.264/etc or what

I don't see why not. It is based around the Intel CE4100 chip (http://download.intel.com/design/celect/prodbrf/322572.pdf) which has some sick specifications. Also, unlike Apple, Google doesn't seem all that concerned about locking down their OS. I imagine it will support playing files on a share out of the box, but if not, someone could probably write an Android app to do it.

I hate to say it, but it had to be someone with the clout of Google to finally make a settop box that defines the market. Apple had their chance, but in fairness, the hardware just wasn't there for the AppleTV. Now with powerful chips that include h/w video decoders and 1080p resolution TVs, this could be what the WebTV always wished it could. If they price it correctly (by subsidizing the h/w), they could have a hit.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

B-Nasty posted:

I don't see why not. It is based around the Intel CE4100 chip (http://download.intel.com/design/celect/prodbrf/322572.pdf) which has some sick specifications. Also, unlike Apple, Google doesn't seem all that concerned about locking down their OS. I imagine it will support playing files on a share out of the box, but if not, someone could probably write an Android app to do it.

I hate to say it, but it had to be someone with the clout of Google to finally make a settop box that defines the market. Apple had their chance, but in fairness, the hardware just wasn't there for the AppleTV. Now with powerful chips that include h/w video decoders and 1080p resolution TVs, this could be what the WebTV always wished it could. If they price it correctly (by subsidizing the h/w), they could have a hit.

I dont know whether to cheer or cry, i invested so much time setting up xbmc.

If i could basically get the same functionality of xbmc on google tv, then, man that would be insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

B-Nasty posted:

Probably the coolest thing, in my opinion, is that future lines of HD/3DTVs will have Google TV built in. Sony + Google + Intel equates a pretty kick rear end combination.

• Locked thread