Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

contrantidipsomania posted:

Soon after I was able to pull off varial kickflips as well, and at my peak I was able to do sort of varial kickflip but the kickflip was actually an underflip, not sure if this is the proper name for it.

Maybe you're thinking of hospital flips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIbspQBZwEc

Varial kickflips for me are one of the most awkward tricks, the board seems to flip and turn 180 degrees before either of my feet can catch it. The nollie/fakie variations look pretty sweet though. Such as in Brian Anderson's part in Yeah Right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnivwP1kqY0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

contrantidipsomania posted:

I think I might try get back into skateboarding this summer.

You should definitely do it. You will get back into decent shape after a few weeks. After not skating regularly for about 10 years I found it to be a tremendous workout when I first started up again. I would skate flat ground for a couple of hours and find my self exhausted and sore that evening and the next day. It gets better though and before you know it you will be better than you used to be. I'm old so found it helpful to do some stretching before getting started. I do about 4 sun salutations (yoga) and leg stretching before getting on a board. It always helps me feel more in touch and in control of my body. It also makes awkward groin stretching bails less painful.

Just skate and don't worry about anything or anyone else. It's fun, rewarding and relaxing. You will love it and wonder why you ever stopped.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Kinda hard to admit it with stereotypes and such, but Skating and Yoga go together incredibly well.

Jeephand
Nov 5, 2009

donJonSwan posted:

Kinda hard to admit it with stereotypes and such, but Skating and Yoga go together incredibly well.

This is so true. An out of shape person is asking for trouble on a board, especially starting out. Every spring I have to get into a standard fitness routine just to get my body back in shape from the sedentary winter. Staying flexible, being strong, having good stamina/breathing and staying well hydrated go really far when it comes to avoiding injury and increasing fun on a skateboard.

I probably wouldn't even work out if I didn't have skateboarding to motivate me. It motivated me to quit smoking so +++.

Rygar
Aug 25, 2002

Jeephand posted:

I rode 7.75 for a long time because I figured 8" would be too big and heavy, but I tried it and it doesn't feel heavier, it just gives you more board to move around on and a slightly bigger surface to catch when you flip. Somehow it just feels more stable under my 10.5 feet.
100% agree. I ride 8.5" because I have size 15 feet, and I can't imagine riding anything smaller. The board flips unpredictably when I ride anything below 8". It cracks me up when pros skate 8.25-8.5" decks but don't sell any of their own pro models above 8" wide.

On a side note: if anyone's interested, my skate shop is running a goon-only discount on the entire store. Here's the SA-Mart thread.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

donJonSwan posted:

agree 100%. If I hadn't been working out for two solid years doing CrossFit and building up my core and poo poo, I never would have stuck with skateboarding. So much balancing and core flexing to stay upright.

Uncle Leo
Oct 16, 2009

boydx posted:

Finally managing to get kickflips thank god.

Also, a new skatepark opened near where I live. Gonna be a good summer!

Its true! I've seen it..

Also started to get my tre flips back woo!

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax
I've almost mastered pushing without looking like a complete clown. :dance:
Baby steps, right?

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
Just got a complete Chris Haslam deck off craigslist for $15, so I decided to give skating a shot again. The only thing I could do back in high school was shove-its and a low ollie, but I'm gonna give it a second shot regardless. I skated 3 miles the other day just to get back in the groove.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I was bored and painted my longboard, what do you guys think?

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

So, I'm packing for a move, and I came across my old board, I haven't skated in 6 years. I set my goal to learn kickflips by the end of the summer. Hopefully I can do it without breaking any bones. I gave up skating in ~2004 when I broke my hip in a ramp that was admittedly way above my skill level :(. Wish me luck guys. I'll update my progress should I achieve any lol.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

leica posted:

So I was bored and painted my longboard, what do you guys think?

Pretty awesome. How did you do it? Now buy some new wheels!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

anotherblownsave posted:

So, I'm packing for a move, and I came across my old board, I haven't skated in 6 years. I set my goal to learn kickflips by the end of the summer. Hopefully I can do it without breaking any bones. I gave up skating in ~2004 when I broke my hip in a ramp that was admittedly way above my skill level :(. Wish me luck guys. I'll update my progress should I achieve any lol.
Kickflips by September? I'll be in on this challenge - I still can't ollie yet, so it should be fun. I'm moving to the States at some point in the next four months finally and until I'm work-approved, I'm going to have a board and a loving lot of free time.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

blue squares posted:

Pretty awesome. How did you do it? Now buy some new wheels!

I made stencils and just spray painted.

And the wheels are new, I just got the board from KrackedSkulls not long ago.

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

lost a lot of skin last night bombing a hill on this (slightly different wheels)....still not 100% on how to correct speed wobble

Mincher
May 12, 2008

nocturama posted:

lost a lot of skin last night bombing a hill on this (slightly different wheels)....still not 100% on how to correct speed wobble

Hey there my grazed brother. Eating poo poo on hills sucks, eh? My scabs currently prevent me from raising my left shoulder or bending my right knee and elbow.

I hope you're back in the game soon!

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Whalley posted:

Kickflips by September? I'll be in on this challenge - I still can't ollie yet, so it should be fun. I'm moving to the States at some point in the next four months finally and until I'm work-approved, I'm going to have a board and a loving lot of free time.

Awesome! It'll be great knowing I'm not alone in this haha. Where are you moving to in the U.S.?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

nocturama posted:

Wobbles are mostly mental, although a short wheel base will make it worse. Stay relaxed and bend your knees. Your board is going to wobble and twitch (an effect of the lean to steer system) at decent speeds. Staying comfortable and relaxed will help since your legs will absorb some of that twitching. When you tense up, you'll over-correct and it will make them worse. That really only comes with experience. Start with a smaller hill and then inch out of your comfort zone. Do keep in mind that a short wheelbase will be rather unstable at speed.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

anotherblownsave posted:

Awesome! It'll be great knowing I'm not alone in this haha. Where are you moving to in the U.S.?

Once my visa stuff finishes getting sorted out :sigh: but the max length of time it will take is until August 26. I've got a board and a shitload of free time in Australia now though~

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
I'm sure a bunch of you know about this site, but Wiskate always gets me amped to skate. Check out any of the videos, they're all super fun.

https://www.wiskate.com

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I want to go to Europe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEZ9AxKKR6E

Spermatic Cord
Jun 6, 2006
Hey guys, after loving around on a POS complete from some random sporting goods store I've decided that I really enjoy skateboarding. I can only ollie now but whatever. I'm looking to buy a deck and trucks online and was wondering what people thought:

Deck: Zero 7.75 http://tinyurl.com/2al99ja

Trucks: Independent Low Raw 129mm (not sure if I should go this or 139mm)http://tinyurl.com/2fyvdxz

Anyone have any recommendations for bearings and wheels? I'm probably going buy these at the local skate shop.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Spermatic Cord posted:

Hey guys, after loving around on a POS complete from some random sporting goods store I've decided that I really enjoy skateboarding. I can only ollie now but whatever. I'm looking to buy a deck and trucks online and was wondering what people thought:

Deck: Zero 7.75 http://tinyurl.com/2al99ja

Trucks: Independent Low Raw 129mm (not sure if I should go this or 139mm)http://tinyurl.com/2fyvdxz

Anyone have any recommendations for bearings and wheels? I'm probably going buy these at the local skate shop.

You can score cheap decks at this website mentioned previously: http://www.blankdecks.com/ I haven't ordered from them myself but I plan to soon when I need a few new decks. The thing about pro/premium decks are that you're only really paying for the paint/design which really won't matter after skating the deck for a few days. You can also get blank wheels from the same site and bearings, although I recommend Bones Reds.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

DELETED posted:

I want to go to Europe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEZ9AxKKR6E

That guy is insane but in a good way.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
Took the 45-minute drive down to Santa Cruz last weekend and went cruising around on my longboard. So awesome having a city full of bike lanes. I thought I was literally going to die though going down one hill and not being able to stop without bailing into traffic. Finally my momentum carried me onto a wooden bridge that stopped me. Scary, but fun.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

RobotEmpire posted:

Took the 45-minute drive down to Santa Cruz last weekend and went cruising around on my longboard. So awesome having a city full of bike lanes. I thought I was literally going to die though going down one hill and not being able to stop without bailing into traffic. Finally my momentum carried me onto a wooden bridge that stopped me. Scary, but fun.

I also use almost exclusively my longboard to move around downtown; carrying it with me beats leaving the bike outside and having it stolen.

I do think you should practice slides, switch flips and the likes before going carelessly downhill. Also, always wear protections!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm almost done with a 2' tall 5' wide micro quarter for my drive way. I'm trying to determine whether to use Masonite (hardboard) or plywood for final layer. It's been a long while since I built any ramps and back in the day when I was young and had a half pipe I covered it with Masonite one time and it warped/bubbled terribly after the first time it rained.

So I'm seeking the advice of someone with more current experience. I don't mind covering this quarter with a tarp. Which would be the better way to go, plywood or Masonite?

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I would go with masonite and get some weather protection to paint onto it.

Post pics once it's built.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Got a deck! Woooop!

7.5" deck by Hoax (underground skate shop in my hometown)
Venture trucks
....? Don't know if any of that is significant.

Basically my skater friend gave/sold it to me, its about 10 years old and has pretty terrible pop; but it works.

Went out yesterday with my mate and chilled with some 14 year olds who were much better than me, which at first was a little frustrating but in the end we got on pretty well and they gave me some good technique advice.

Can now comprehensively stay on the board and can ollie (more or less).

Really feeling this skating thing, I used to ski so I think I have a pretty good sense of balance which is useful. I also fell off pretty badly when I was eating an ice cream (too cool for school), stopped paying attention and just overbalanced, landing on the ice cream.

Now I ache like a motherfucker so I'm taking a day off to do some work but I'll be back on it as soon as it doesn't hurt to stand up.

mister ginger
Jul 5, 2005

nocturama posted:

Beautiful board. Tightening those trucks a tad may do the trick for you. Countering wobbles with some tight carves always puts me back in control.

On another note: gently caress

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

mister ginger fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 8, 2010

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I'm putting together a Borrego Springs camping trip later this month.

Any SoCal goons who want to drink and skate in the desert send me an e-mail at riantrost@gmail.com and I'll hook you up with the details.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Finally got to a skate park with a friend of mine. It turns out dropping in is loving terrifying when you're 25 and have only been skating for six odd months. I couldn't do it on the smallest quarterpipe there :blush:

I have learned how to land on the board though, finally, and popped a decent ollie and landed rolling away on cement :woop: and kicked rear end all over this cool funbox until I did something inside my foot that I don't understand but I still can't walk right without there being pain. There's no swelling or anything four hours later, but yeah.

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

Whalley posted:

Finally got to a skate park with a friend of mine. It turns out dropping in is loving terrifying when you're 25 and have only been skating for six odd months. I couldn't do it on the smallest quarterpipe there :blush:

I have learned how to land on the board though, finally, and popped a decent ollie and landed rolling away on cement :woop: and kicked rear end all over this cool funbox until I did something inside my foot that I don't understand but I still can't walk right without there being pain. There's no swelling or anything four hours later, but yeah.

dropping in has always been a loving mind gently caress even when I was young and skated, its A ok until you get that time when you are to tired and dont push it down properly, ouchie

I've also started skating again for what its worth, skated for maybe 4 years 10 years ago, found my old board! a ATM Ben Liversedge 7.667 board with thunder trucks and spitfire 54mm wheels, changed the bearings and now its pretty nice :) after riding for like 3 days I can pop a good sized ollie, do a fs 180 and pop shove it haha, but its fun though! :) thinking about getting a 8" board or maybe even a 8.125 board for my size 12 feet

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Whalley posted:

dropping in

Dropping in is one of those things that you have to fully commit to or you will end up in bad positions. You want to keep your shoulders directly over your knees/feet, don't let your upper body turn left or right. You need to keep straight which means your shoulders need to stay perpendicular to the ramp. You have to fully commit to stomping down with a good amount of weight on your front foot. You want to make your front wheels touch the ramp as soon as possible. Most people first learning have too much weight on the back foot which causes the board to shoot out forward and they fall back. Bend your knees and stay low/semi-crouched.

If the ramp is small enough and you can't go on your own you can have someone stand down in the flat directly to the side your chest faces and hold your hands. The idea is that this person should be strong enough to keep you from eating poo poo should you start falling back when you come down the ramp, but they also need to let go if you make it down OK. It's kind of sketchy and seems to work well with smaller kids. I recently helped someone bigger than me by doing this though.

But yeah it's scary and that's normal. Once you get the drop in you will notice the same feeling about other tricks or when you drop in on higher ramps. Once you get it you will be amazed out how easy it is. It is totally a mind over body thing.

Oh and don't go up there, get in position and contemplate your fate. Get up there and do it. Don't give your self time to think about it.

You can practice dropping in on a bank or wedge ramp without transition, it makes it a little less intense and you can get the motion down. Then take it to transition

donJonSwan posted:

I would go with masonite and get some weather protection to paint onto it.

Post pics once it's built.

Will do! Got the Masonite on last night now I just need to get the metal sheet material for the bottom of the ramp.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 7, 2010

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone have any tips on how to Shove-It with a longboard? I've got a Dervish and watched a fair few videos about it, but whenever I try the board flicks out and away from me, rather than comfortably spinning back round.

I almost did one today but naturally I landed funny and the board flew out from under me. Now I can't seem to get the motion right again.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Awesome dropping in words
I had my strong buddy at the skate park with me, I should have used his strength to keep me upright when dropping down. We were the only ones there, so it's not like some eight year old would have stood there laughing at us either.

I know I lean back too much, because the few times I stayed on the board, I slid on my tail down. I've practiced the motion on flat land and off curbs/chairs/etc, so I know what I should be doing to lean forwards, but there's such a difference between pressing down until the board is horizontal and slamming it towards the ground. Leaning towards the ground is so not how common sense says to stay balanced.

I think I'm going to get a helmet, so I can trick my brain by saying "see, you're in a suit of armor, what are you afraid of you little loving wuss."

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
NaDy: Are you doing them while moving?

Whalley: I don't really do any street or park skating, but I noticed my technique for sliding, carving and cornering got a lot smoother and bolder once I got a helmet for the exact reason you mention: I wasn't as scared of bailing/screwing up once I realized I had some protection. Road rash sucks, but it heals. Traumatic brain injuries don't heal so easily, so knowing that even if you hit your head you'll just have a slight headache and a sore neck really helps boost your confidence.

Having that confidence means you will be more clearly focused on what's happening. As I was saying earlier about speed wobbles, they're mostly a product of your mental state at the time. I've gotten wobbles at 30+mph, but I felt calm at the time and just let the board do it's thing. When you're scared or apprehensive, you're much more tense physically and focus too much on the wrong things.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

With dropping in I've found that the longer you stand there thinking about it, the more likely you'll gently caress up. You just kind of fall forward pushing your front foot down and go. Once you get the hang of it it's like riding a bike, unless of course you think about it and psych yourself out.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
Yeah, the best advice I've gotten / can give about dropping in is to not think about it too much. Stay straight, slam that front foot down.

If you spend too much time standing there and thinking about it you'll probably get hurt. Well, you'll get hurt anyway since you're skateboarding but that's half the fun, right? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Extrapolator
Dec 14, 2006

Now what the fuck are some of these god damn questions?
f

The Extrapolator fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 30, 2016