Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Hey heres an idea posted:

One of our inspectors went out to a customers warehouse............... and they noticed that the pump casing was cracked in half like that.

No one that's seen this has ever seen a pump hosed up this bad that wasn't caused by an improper installation, or a large rock from an unflushed underground connection.

*Forklift backs into pump*

"Yeah guys, your pump just exploded. No idea how the casing got cracked"
:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Sockington posted:

*Forklift backs into pump*

"Yeah guys, your pump just exploded. No idea how the casing got cracked"
:hfive:

I'll buy it. I'm working in an a stamping plant right now overseeing some construction work and the plant fork truck drivers keep plowing into the construction demarcation walls. Every loving week we need to fix the wall and every loving week the materials handling dept. says it's not their problem and the drivers aren't doing anything wrong.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
There's no "mundane mechanical failures" thread, so you all get this.

So I heard a :black101: grinding noise from my front driver's brake starting the day after my state inspection. I checked the sticker and they pulled LF and RR wheels this year, so I just figured "bastards didn't clean anything and just whacked the pads back in after mic-ing them without anti-squeal."...

I bought myself some anti-squeal since the last bottle I had got loaned out and never returned, along with some brake cleaner and a bottle of starting fluid for the jeep.

Off comes the wheel.

:ohdear:

:black101: indeed.

So I grabbed my uncle's tracker and went and bought pads...

All I can figure is they broke the pad when they slammed the caliper back into position.

This also explains the whole "Well I back up out of my driveway, and when I get to the end of the street and am nearly stopped there's a nasty THUD! noise from that brake..." From that pad remnant shifting from one end of the caliper to the other.

Thankfully I drive like an old man so I didn't damage the rotors or anything, that bit of pad did the best it could. Now I feel like I should be planning apexes!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'd seriously be pissed if I had to let some random fucker take my brakes apart for a forced inspection.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure
Yeah I thought they just removed the wheels to do a visual inspection, I don't think they actually remove the calipers.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

ozziegt posted:

Yeah I thought they just removed the wheels to do a visual inspection, I don't think they actually remove the calipers.

A stack of feeler gauges between the pad backing and the rotor. Don't need to take the wheel off if you're lucky.

Sponge!, where do you live? That inspection process sucks.

fishmech_1.1_RC
Jul 22, 2003

Sponge! posted:

All I can figure is they broke the pad when they slammed the caliper back into position.

If your brake pads are rusty enough that you can break the pad material off the backing plate by simply "slamming it back into position," then a) your car was not safe to drive in the first place and b) more importantly, your inspection station is not doing its job.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Splizwarf posted:

A stack of feeler gauges between the pad backing and the rotor. Don't need to take the wheel off if you're lucky.

Sponge!, where do you live? That inspection process sucks.

I live in PA.

And the fact that it started right after my inspection puts it at more than coincidence...

Here in PA they do pull the pads and inspect them for glazing/cracks/de-lamination. On drums they pull the drum off and check it and the shoes.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sponge! posted:

I live in PA.

And the fact that it started right after my inspection puts it at more than coincidence...

Here in PA they do pull the pads and inspect them for glazing/cracks/de-lamination. On drums they pull the drum off and check it and the shoes.

That must suck, front drums where you have to re-pack the bearings and poo poo to get to them. But hey, free drum adjustment!

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Contraband posted:

If your brake pads are rusty enough that you can break the pad material off the backing plate by simply "slamming it back into position," then a) your car was not safe to drive in the first place and b) more importantly, your inspection station is not doing its job.
Legit. Plus almost every modern caliper lets you see the middle of the pad, showing its thickness without unbolting the caliper from the hub.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Surprised I haven't seen this yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAKbkU9l-xE

Piston failure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQAGWo3PbZk&feature=related

Armature locked on the traction motor

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 26, 2010

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Raluek posted:

That must suck, front drums where you have to re-pack the bearings and poo poo to get to them. But hey, free drum adjustment!

Which is why they only pull one front and one rear per year, and they do opposites every other year. Next year they'll pull front passenger and rear driver.

SGNL06
May 6, 2004

They're goin' home! They're goin' home!

CommieGIR posted:

Surprised I haven't seen this yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAKbkU9l-xE

Piston failure

More locomotive engine failure:

Power assembly, weighs about 750lb. Looks like the four hold-down bolts broke (you can see one of them sans threads sitting on top of the assembly; the other pipe looking thing is a pushrod) and the whole unit was ejected through the engine bay doors and clear of the locomotive.

Followed promptly by the piston itself...

Weighs about 90lb.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

SGNL06 posted:

:black101:

Holy loving poo poo. :aaaaa:

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

I sure hope the homeowner gets to keep that, finders keepers right?

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.
Welp, I'm never living near a train track. Ever.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Messadiah posted:

I sure hope the homeowner gets to keep that, finders keepers right?

I would seriously fix the ceiling and then just put a blank picture frame around the piston.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, what are the chances of that happening? It looks like it brought some hot engine oil along with it, judging from how it splashed against the drywall as it ruptured through the house.

What would you even change on the engine to withstand something like that? That's gotta be a shitload of force to move a piston that weighs almost 100lb that far.

Am I right in assuming it was the cause of poor maintenance? Those bolts should have been checked and retorqued to make sure the thread wasn't wearing on them.

edit: Man, I wonder what it sounded like to whoever was inside the house at the time.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 28, 2010

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
That's just incredible :aaaaa:

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SGNL06 posted:

Weighs about 90lb.

This picture should be in a gallery with a cardboard cutout of a person in front for scale.

Seriously, locomotives make like 4000hp with **90lb** pistons? Someone please post pics!

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Holy poo poo, what are the chances of that happening? It looks like it brought some hot engine oil along with it, judging from how it splashed against the drywall as it ruptured through the house.

What would you even change on the engine to withstand something like that? That's gotta be a shitload of force to move a piston that weighs almost 100lb that far.

Am I right in assuming it was the cause of poor maintenance? Those bolts should have been checked and retorqued to make sure the thread wasn't wearing on them.

edit: Man, I wonder what it sounded like to whoever was inside the house at the time.

Well they only do 300rpm or so, still that's up and down 5 times a second.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I don't have a picture, just a story.
My engineering teacher was telling me about when she was a cadet a loooong time ago working on a cruise ship out of America. She was on watch and the turbo for #4 engine was making a really strange high pitched whine, completely different to the other turbos. She figured given that she had no idea what it was, she'd shut the engine down and look into it. No sooner had she walked towards the fuel cutoff, than the loving crankshaft blew out the side of the block landing EXACTLY where she had been standing seconds before. Apparently one of the oil lines had become blocked, the crank had massively overheated and half of it had seized while the other half went exploring.

nene
Jan 5, 2007
Mad Scientist

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The forces inside a running engine are enormous. A friend did the maths for the type of engine in my car, for standard pistons. At 7000 RPM the pistons are exerting approximately 20 tonnes of force on the connecting rod and crankshaft, as they are changing direction at the top and bottom of the stroke. This is with pistons that weigh, if I recall, less than half a kilo.

OK, so that goes down proportionally as the engine RPM goes down, but consider how much it scales up with pistons weighing that much!

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

SGNL06 posted:

More locomotive engine failure:

Power assembly, weighs about 750lb. Looks like the four hold-down bolts broke (you can see one of them sans threads sitting on top of the assembly; the other pipe looking thing is a pushrod) and the whole unit was ejected through the engine bay doors and clear of the locomotive.

Weighs about 90lb.

I'm certainly mot calling bullshit, or disputing this in any way, but that piston seems to be quite small given the length of the crankshafts in locomotive engines.

About 5 years ago, I was doing a job at a place in Winnipeg this place to be preciseand they were remanning locomotive crankshafts. Which were 2 pieces each piece longer than my arm span which is about 5 1/2 feet. So, the whole thing put together is 10+ feet long.
So, my point being. It looks like an awfully small piston, given the length and over all massive size of the crank shafts that I saw at that place.

Was that a "small" locomotive that happened to?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Sterndotstern posted:

This picture should be in a gallery with a cardboard cutout of a person in front for scale.

Seriously, locomotives make like 4000hp with **90lb** pistons? Someone please post pics!

Here's pics from an EMD 710 I was doing some work on.

The power packs, one removed and one installed: This is baiscally the head of the cylinder, and is designed to drop in and remove out.

My hand over the power pack, for scale. Fun fact: Those threaded rods are torqued to something like 2250 or 2500 N.m of torque off memory, and are used to hold the entire top end down.

The turbo. That red thing is one of those overhead crane control boxes, measuring about a foot long.

Sponge! posted:

Well they only do 300rpm or so, still that's up and down 5 times a second.
900 RPM for the above engine, at peak power (notch 8).

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

scapulataf posted:

I'm certainly mot calling bullshit, or disputing this in any way, but that piston seems to be quite small given the length of the crankshafts in locomotive engines.

About 5 years ago, I was doing a job at a place in Winnipeg this place to be preciseand they were remanning locomotive crankshafts. Which were 2 pieces each piece longer than my arm span which is about 5 1/2 feet. So, the whole thing put together is 10+ feet long.
So, my point being. It looks like an awfully small piston, given the length and over all massive size of the crank shafts that I saw at that place.

You can see in the second house photo that the piston is probably larger than an adult head, where most automotive pistons are the size of a beefy fist?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
This is why rotaries rule you pistionares.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

ultimateforce posted:

This is why rotaries rule you pistionares.

how big would an apex seal be on a wankel engine making 4000 HP?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

scapulataf posted:

Pistons in commercial diesels aren't usually that big compared to the engine. Most of the grunt comes from the stroke. GE evolution specs list the bore as a tad under 10" with stroke bring over 1'. Everything else is huge to deal with the massive amount of torque.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

rscott posted:

Same as normal, just chain together like 20 rotors.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

peepsalot posted:

Same as normal, just chain together like 20 rotors.

So you're saying that a normal 2-rotor makes 400hp? Try again.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

ab0z posted:

So you're saying that a normal 2-rotor makes 400hp? Try again.

With boost, it's not unheard of.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Well a locomotive needs lots of torque and amazing reliability. I bet that 4000hp locomotive engine makes a lot more than 4000 ft-lb of torque.

nene
Jan 5, 2007
Mad Scientist

peepsalot posted:

With boost, it's not unheard of.
In that case, the answer is simple, the apex seals would be non-existent.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
How did we immediately go from talking about high torque high reliability engines to boosted rotaries?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

14 INCH DICK posted:

How did we immediately go from talking about high torque high reliability engines to boosted rotaries?

Because rotary owners are retarded and feel the need to justify their antiquated, inefficient engines at every opportunity.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They should've posted a picture of one, then we'd at least be on-topic still. :v:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

rscott posted:

Depends on how smashed up it gets as it's being thrown out the exhaust.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Godholio posted:

They should've posted a picture of one, then we'd at least be on-topic still. :v:

2 birds, 1 stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ab0z posted:

Well a locomotive needs lots of torque and amazing reliability. I bet that 4000hp locomotive engine makes a lot more than 4000 ft-lb of torque.

23,342 lb-ft