Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesus Stick
Dec 14, 2004

Bomb Hills, Not Countries

strayan posted:

Do you do any gaming with that MX 5500 keyboard? How is it?

That's actually why I got it. I use Bootcamp to run Windows 7 when I feel like playing a game (and I have to use Visual Studio for schoolwork).

I like it a lot. I still prefer my old G15, but I like the clean, wireless (bluetooth) feel of this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bertbh
Jun 9, 2009

Low-Pass Filter posted:

This is such an awesome setup: not to squeaky clean, but not totally living in poo poo. Nice "adaptation," but you're drat right, that PC on the right looks pretty ghetto.

Heh, thanks. The ironic thing about that right-hand PC is that it's actually an awesome system. Quad-core, 3Gb of RAM, GTX260 and an M-Audio Audiophile soundcard. I've just been too cheap to buy a new case while the hardware inside has been upgraded again and again for the past decade.

You guys have convinced me, it's time to shell out for something in brushed aluminium.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This thread inspired me to tidy up my desk a little bit:

This used to be my desk for reading, writing long hand, and working on stuff; it became my computer desk when I moved to a smaller apartment and had to consolidate. The laptop drawer made it great for its original function, but the drawers underneath make it way too thick for serious computering. It puts my arms in a really awkward position since I can't get the keyboard close enough to my lap. I'm thinking about getting one of those Legare desks, or perhaps a Galant so I can expand later.

And, to show my usual level of clutter habits, here's a cross post of my working like poo poo:

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
I think my attempt at cable management turned out fairly well.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

powderific posted:

And, to show my usual level of clutter habits, here's a cross post of my working like poo poo:

Except for the plywood floors, you have the best loving office.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Martytoof posted:

Except for the plywood floors, you have the best loving office.

Those are OSB floors! Get it right, man!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Those are OSB floors! Get it right, man!

Oh yeah. I can never remember what they're called. I just know them as "the stuff that paintball forts are usually made from".

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

there's a bear going round, taking names

powderific posted:

I'm liking the coordination across both your workspaces.

What sort of chair is that that you have at home?

What's with the Mac Pro case by your work desk? It looks like some sort of garbage receptacle.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

powderific posted:

I love your speakers.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

powderific posted:

I really love your home setup, and actually may try to do something similar (except dual 22") when I get the coin.

And the work ain't bad either. Very cool.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dominoes posted:

I love your speakers.

I have the same ones, they really are great and if you get them on black friday the price wasn't even bad. Should take a picture of my desk while its clean for this thread...

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

zerox147o posted:

I have the same ones, they really are great and if you get them on black friday the price wasn't even bad. Should take a picture of my desk while its clean for this thread...

What kind of speakers are they?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

What kind of speakers are they?

http://www.av123.com//index.php?pag...emart&Itemid=37

Actually it would appear they are on clearance. I am tempted to pick up another set just-in-case/for gift giving. They're gorgeous + read any review of them you would like and it will be shining. Absolute great price:performance ratio.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

zerox147o posted:

http://www.av123.com//index.php?pag...emart&Itemid=37

Actually it would appear they are on clearance. I am tempted to pick up another set just-in-case/for gift giving. They're gorgeous + read any review of them you would like and it will be shining. Absolute great price:performance ratio.

Wow thats a great deal! What do you drive them with?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

Wow thats a great deal! What do you drive them with?

A Marantz 2245 receiver I got working again. Hooked up to my computer through a Fubar 2 DAC and also up to a turntable. Couldn't be happier with the setup.

Epikhigh
Apr 4, 2009

powderific posted:

To solve your problem with the bottom drawers, you can always remove them.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's the exact deal I got. You'd be hard pressed to find something better for $150.

The OSB/plywood floor sucks. We rushed and didn't seal it well enough, so it constantly sheds splinters. That said, I really like the way our office is set up now.

Milo Pollywalter posted:

I'm liking the coordination across both your workspaces.

What sort of chair is that that you have at home?

What's with the Mac Pro case by your work desk? It looks like some sort of garbage receptacle.

Thanks! The chair is from office max, I think it was labeled DiVoga. It positions you very upright so I like it for getting things done. As for the Mac Pro, the company let go a few people so we have a extra systems. It's sitting next to my desk until we need it. Sometimes, when I'm feeling particularly decadent, I use it as a stool.

Epikhigh posted:

Drawers

Unfortunately, the drawers are in a frame that's integral to the table's structure. I'd have to cut the front of the desk out. I'll keep it intact so it can go back to being a writing desk once I have the space for a dedicated computer desk.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

powderific posted:

The OSB/plywood floor sucks. We rushed and didn't seal it well enough, so it constantly sheds splinters. That said, I really like the way our office is set up now.

That was really the only question I had, was whether you guys get a lot of splintering. Not to poo poo this thread up with non related questions, up but what made you guys go the OSB route? :q:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The owner's sister is an aspiring interior designer and that's what she wanted :v: They found some actual flooring that looks similar for our conference room and it has held up really well. They didn't want to spend the money in our area, so we got big sheets of OSB, screwed them to the floor, gave it a single coat of polyurethane, and called it good.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

powderific posted:

The owner's sister is an aspiring interior designer and that's what she wanted :v: They found some actual flooring that looks similar for our conference room and it has held up really well. They didn't want to spend the money in our area, so we got big sheets of OSB, screwed them to the floor, gave it a single coat of polyurethane, and called it good.

I did 3/4" plywood but put 1 layer of white base followed by 10 coats of clear sealant which definitely stopped all the splinters but where the chair rolls its been pealing up, but thats because of the plywood, not because of the paint. Lets just say I'm planning on putting down a floating hardwood floor in the future, because cheap was nice until you use it for about 4 months.

ptier fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 25, 2010

Z
Jun 25, 2002

There's a reason most offices use poo poo-cheap low-pile carpet. It's cheaper than hardwood, and besides being ugly, has very few downsides.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Plywood floors can work but you have to use the right hardness of plywood, and enough clear coat(pretty much want to finish it like a garage floor, poor a bucket of self leveling, spread it a bit and run). You also, realistically, should be sanding down all the edges and the surface. It is only cheaper if you have a lot of time to spend on it. It can look really cool though.

OSB is the same way.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Just thought I'd contribute my own desktop, seeing as I've finally just about finished setting everything up the way I want it.

I guess a little explanation of all the things might be in order: A Nokia 6300 functioning as SMS gateway, 2x Asus VW222, a set of Creative Inspire 7300, a Early-2010 model MacBook Pro, Seagate external harddrive, Wacom Volito2, and underneath the desktop in the left side is the case containing a C2D E6550 running at 2,53GHz, with 4GB of DDR2 dual-channel liner-mode memory, a nVidia GeForce GTX260, a Hauppauge HVR-1300, a Asus Xonar D2X and an Intel X-25M 80GB MLC SSD (connected to a JMicron RAID controller which ensures backup to an eSATA disc (not pictured) plus 4 2TB WDC Caviar Green 5400RPM running on the motherboards other RAID controller on the southbridge of the motherboard which is an Asus P5KC.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 28, 2010

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

debdrup posted:

Just thought I'd contribute my own desktop, seeing as I've finally just about finished setting everything up the way I want it.

I guess a little explanation of all the things might be in order: A Nokia 6300 functioning as SMS gateway, 2x Asus VW222, a set of Creative Inspire 7300, a Early-2010 model MacBook Pro, Seagate external harddrive, Wacom Volito2, and underneath the desktop in the left side is the case containing a C2D E6550 running at 2,53GHz, with 4GB of DDR2 dual-channel liner-mode memory, a nVidia GeForce GTX260, a Hauppauge HVR-1300, a Asus Xonar D2X and an Intel X-25M 80GB MLC SSD (connected to a JMicron RAID controller which ensures backup to an eSATA disc (not pictured) plus 4 2TB WDC Caviar Green 5400RPM running on the motherboards other RAID controller on the southbridge of the motherboard which is an Asus P5KC.

Where'd you get the desk? That'd be a perfect setup with some monitor arms mounted to the top section.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Where'd you get the desk? That'd be a perfect setup with some monitor arms mounted to the top section.

I'm moving soon and my current desk is def not going to be making the trip, was about to ask the same thing. If i took the drawers out of the right side it would work pretty well for me...

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

I know, I just have yet to find the perfect pair of monitor arms for a price I'm willing to pay.

The table is bought at a (originally) Danish company called Jysk - they do furniture and stuff for outfitting ones bedroom/workroom/house.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That looks like every desk I've ever seen sold at Staples or Office Depot tbh.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Well, it's definitely not unique in any way - it's just a decent table that does what I need it to do.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Martytoof posted:

Like 90% of them, it looks like it's a laminate desk that has those hard 90 degree edges that get chipped and peel really easily. I can already see it happening in the photo.

When I got my cheapass desk over 4 years ago, I made sure to get one with rounded edges so that wouldn't happen. So far, so good, despite heavy usage.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Really? I can't find anything like that on staples, office max or office depot.

One thing I've notice is the table has a lot of depth, plus there's the raised portion which is really convenient as you don't have monitors taking up desk space so you can throw papers, books whatever under it.

This table doesn't appear to be on their site either.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

debdrup posted:

I know, I just have yet to find the perfect pair of monitor arms for a price I'm willing to pay.

The table is bought at a (originally) Danish company called Jysk - they do furniture and stuff for outfitting ones bedroom/workroom/house.

Don't buy the cheap monitor arms, if you want one, you're going to have to shell out for an Egotron. The rest just have too much give, at least for my 2001wfp.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Don't buy the cheap monitor arms, if you want one, you're going to have to shell out for an Egotron. The rest just have too much give, at least for my 2001wfp.

Not really. It depends on how adjustable/how often you want to adjust them. If you just don't want stands on the desk and don't need the height to be easily adjustable any cheep mount from monoprice will do fine.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~
This thread has made me realize how dusty my desk is.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Those speakers look huge

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Randuin posted:

I've just bought a $10 keyboard. It sucks. Is is that keyboard worth the money you paid for it?

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
People in the keyboard megathread seem to really like that Filco.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

strayan posted:

I've just bought a $10 keyboard. It sucks. Is is that keyboard worth the money you paid for it?

Mechanical keyboards are worth every penny and Filco's are great. You should read up on the different types of Cherry switches to figure out what you're looking for. I personally prefer brown switches since they don't click when you depress the keys, making them slightly quieter than the blue type.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

vty posted:

Those speakers look huge

They are, M-Audio BX-8's

strayan posted:

Every penny.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Seeing all these setups has lead me to design a frankendesk that features all the things I like from everything that has popped up here. Hopefully going to pick up the wood this weekend. Prepare to have your faces ROCKED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Randuin posted:

Is that just an Ikea top? I'm rocking the same thing and it's basically a dust magnet if I don't dust it every other day.

Not that I mind, it looks too nice to bitch about. The only complaint I have about mine (other than the dust I guess) is that the painted surface wears really quickly under moderate use. The black finish starts to get lighter in places.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 29, 2010