Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

I'd say for all the movie stuff they've done, I love the re-enactment of JFK with Newman and Kramer. Mostly for Newman actually being in JFK, and Jerry doing the "Back, and to the left".

Nice game, prettyboy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008

HateTheInternet posted:

One of my favorite Kramer moments I haven't seen mentioned yet was when Elaine was auctioning him off at the bachelor auction, and... well it doesn't do it justice to just describe it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycWfV1AP0dw

One of the links off of that one is his Calvin Klein walk. It kills me every time. "His buttocks are sublime!."

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
I bought the complete series about a month ago and have been going through it with the Notes About Nothing on since I've seen every episode at least a hundred times when it was on and in syndication. The amount of effort they put into the trivia track is amazing. You also learn a lot of useless trivia about nothing from it as well (like verbose details on the origin of cereal and a TRAGIC play by play of Game Six :()!

I still can't get over how dark The Opera is. Elaine almost gets raped/murdered but saved by binaca. The awkward laughter from the studio audience only makes it more dark. Larry Charles really has a sick mind and his episodes really stick out. Infact I think I've never seen that particular ep in syndication, ever.

My favourite line exchange is still "I'm allergic to coconut. / I'm not. / A nickle!"

Spokklefant
Aug 16, 2005
Spokkle! Spokkle!
You buy a jar of Folger's Crystals, you put it in the cupboard, you forget about it. Then later on when you need it, it's there. It lasts forever. It's freeze-dried. Freeze-dried Crystals.

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart

hall n oates mom posted:

I see no way it wasn't him. it's not as though he has a clone. IMDB's/tv.com's episode listings don't include the junkyard man credit. Did you check the opening credit roll (where he should be for having so many lines) and the closing credits?
Nope, I'll have to check. I mean, in my mind I know it was him, but the lack of an IMDB credit had me doubting it.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

got dat wmd posted:

I bought the complete series about a month ago and have been going through it with the Notes About Nothing on since I've seen every episode at least a hundred times when it was on and in syndication. The amount of effort they put into the trivia track is amazing. You also learn a lot of useless trivia about nothing from it as well (like verbose details on the origin of cereal and a TRAGIC play by play of Game Six :()!

I still can't get over how dark The Opera is. Elaine almost gets raped/murdered but saved by binaca. The awkward laughter from the studio audience only makes it more dark. Larry Charles really has a sick mind and his episodes really stick out. Infact I think I've never seen that particular ep in syndication, ever.

My favourite line exchange is still "I'm allergic to coconut. / I'm not. / A nickle!"
I can hardly wait to absorb all those from the box set or youtube. I've seen so many endless via syndication too.

The Opera does play on tv, but you may not have seen it because not every channel actually plays in production order for whatever reason.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

got dat wmd posted:

haha The Opera was on last night and I was thinking the exact same thing. Crazy Joe Davola wasn't that funny, he was loving scary.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

SansWetware posted:

"His buttocks are sublime!."
I'm watching a rerun on fox right now, and that line played probably 20 seconds before I read this post.

The best part of that scene is the body makeup that rubs off on the well when he falls.

Tiny Fistpump posted:

haha The Opera was on last night and I was thinking the exact same thing. Crazy Joe Davola wasn't that funny, he was loving scary.
"Are you still scared of clowns?"
"...yeah..."
One of Kramer's best line readings.

WoG fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 29, 2010

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Jerry, Joe Davola. *Pbt.* *Pbt.* *Pbt.* I have a hair on my tongue; I can't get it off. You know how much I hate that? 'Course you do, you put it there. I know what you said about me, Seinfeld. I know you badmouthed me to the execs at NBC, put the kibosh on my deal. Now I'm going to put the kibosh on you. You know I've kiboshed before, and I will kibosh again.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

got dat wmd posted:

I never really think about buying TV box sets, but that Notes thing is making me seriously considering buying Seinfeld.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

No one will play Seinfeld Scene-it with me because it's inherently unfair for them as it is. Those DVD extras will grant me unimaginable trivia power.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
The Sein dvds are by far the best television dvds ever. 2/3s of the episodes have short Inside Look interviews about their origins and experiences filming them with members of the cast including the writers and director too. It's particularly fascinating about how they did The Subway.

But yeah, there's the Notes About Nothing for EVERY episode. Buying the big black box set is SO worth it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

got dat wmd posted:

The Sein dvds are by far the best television dvds ever. 2/3s of the episodes have short Inside Look interviews about their origins and experiences filming them with members of the cast including the writers and director too. It's particularly fascinating about how they did The Subway.

But yeah, there's the Notes About Nothing for EVERY episode. Buying the big black box set is SO worth it.

The best bonus features on the Seinfeld DVDs are the Sein-imations. Bar none

penis sandwich
Aug 28, 2004

have some pudding :)
This is one of my favorite bits from "The Opera": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UcXBcMxUPc

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

When I played tennis in high school, I would heckle the other team with Milos lines. It was amazing.

That episode is loving incredible.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

got dat wmd posted:

The Sein dvds are by far the best television dvds ever.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The best bonus features on the Seinfeld DVDs are the Sein-imations. Bar none
Oh, come on. I love this show enough to have bought every season DVD as it was released (waiting for the full series? Bah!), but these are both ridiculous claims.

The original-length episodes alone make them worth owning, and the Inside Looks are great and trivia tracks interesting, but there's crap like Sein-imation (they're cute once, but pointless fluff), and the commentaries, which are on only a fraction of the episodes, range from pretty good (some writing teams) to downright lousy (most cast tracks).

As far as DVD presentation goes, the Seinfeld set can't hold a candle to Futurama or (easily my favorite) Spaced.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

got dat wmd posted:

Also there's about 20-25 minutes of outtakes per season, and they're really funny. Excellent DVD's.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuQIt6bCyYc

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

Also there's about 20-25 minutes of outtakes per season, and they're really funny. Excellent DVD's.

And they're all on Youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7IPnPTF7fA
So ridiculous in the video store when Kramer is posing above the sign reading "comedy"

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Bah, how is it that random videos with songs or movie trailers get nuked on youtube but blatant DVD extra piracy doesn't?

Oh well, the complete series still has the Coffee Table Book which is nice to have. :)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Your Proud Pal posted:

And they're all on Youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7IPnPTF7fA
So ridiculous in the video store when Kramer is posing above the sign reading "comedy"

This made me gasp for air from laughing so hard the first time I saw it. Michael Richards never breaks character, even when he injures himself.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

One thing I can't help but notice in all these clips is the laugh track, it's just so unbelievable awful. It's honestly shocking how used to those I was on basically every single comedy show in the '90s, while now they are (blessedly) very rare. Really distracting when it almost overwhelms the dialogue to the point where you can barely hear it.

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

kaworu posted:

One thing I can't help but notice in all these clips is the laugh track, it's just so unbelievable awful. It's honestly shocking how used to those I was on basically every single comedy show in the '90s, while now they are (blessedly) very rare. Really distracting when it almost overwhelms the dialogue to the point where you can barely hear it.

I'm pretty sure they used a live studio audience (specifically I think they rehearsed it in front of one, and used the laughter from the rehearsal as the laugh track) which is much better and more organic than the canned poo poo, making it more like stand-up comedy than normal sitcom laugh tracks. There's a blooper where George refers specifically to the laughing audience.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

kaworu posted:

Why would they add a laugh track to outtakes?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Your Proud Pal posted:

I'm pretty sure they used a live studio audience (specifically I think they rehearsed it in front of one, and used the laughter from the rehearsal as the laugh track) which is much better and more organic than the canned poo poo, making it more like stand-up comedy than normal sitcom laugh tracks. There's a blooper where George refers specifically to the laughing audience.

Oh yeah, you can really tell in one of those outtakes clips that just got posted, actually, when Jerry comments on their applause. I guess that makes it a little better, that it's not just canned? Doesn't really make much of a difference, ultimately, it's still pretty drat obnoxious. I just think Seinfeld would have benefited greatly from not having a laugh track, on the whole. If that were a feature on the DVDs, somehow being able to turn it off, holy poo poo I'd be all over them.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I don't mind the laugh tracks at all apart from one thing; at some point in season 5, they had to specifically instruct the audience not to go all apeshit when/if Kramer enters Jerry's apartment because it kept (understandably) throwing Richards off when the audience would cheer for a good 10-15 seconds while the cast were just standing there, waiting for a break so they could say their lines. In the earlier seasons it gets pretty annoying to watch.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kaworu posted:

Oh yeah, you can really tell in one of those outtakes clips that just got posted, actually, when Jerry comments on their applause. I guess that makes it a little better, that it's not just canned? Doesn't really make much of a difference, ultimately, it's still pretty drat obnoxious. I just think Seinfeld would have benefited greatly from not having a laugh track, on the whole. If that were a feature on the DVDs, somehow being able to turn it off, holy poo poo I'd be all over them.

Without the laugh track it would be unbearably stilted. Their lines are delivered in a rhythm that really considers the audience's response.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It seriously amazes me how Michael Richards NEVER breaks character in any of the blooper reels. It comes that whenever I see Kramer in a blooper scene, I just instinctively laugh because I know it's going to be hilarious.

EDIT: And Louis-Dreyfuss is always losing her poo poo, but who cares because Elaine is adorable <3

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 29, 2010

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Stare-Out posted:

I don't mind the laugh tracks at all apart from one thing; at some point in season 5, they had to specifically instruct the audience not to go all apeshit when/if Kramer enters Jerry's apartment because it kept (understandably) throwing Richards off when the audience would cheer for a good 10-15 seconds while the cast were just standing there, waiting for a break so they could say their lines. In the earlier seasons it gets pretty annoying to watch.
That's actually one of my favorite foibles from seasons 2-5, watching Kramer's stock as a beloved character rise incrementally, episode to episode.

Seinfeld is one of the only sitcoms ever that doesn't suffer from its laughtrack. They play with the timing extremely well.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wasco Jr. posted:

I really like Seinfeld but I really don't understand the "It's about nothing" tag it gets, it's about a comedian and his friends lives I really don't see how it's that different from something like Friends in that respect, great show though.
When Seinfeld first aired, nearly every sitcom was a Miller-Boyette gimmick-fest like Perfect Strangers. All of them had a hook. Seinfeld was one of the first of that time just to be a sitcom with no gimmick. That's what the moniker is all about.

Shatter Map
Nov 14, 2005

What a spanking button!

:wotwot:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

When Seinfeld first aired, nearly every sitcom was a Miller-Boyette gimmick-fest like Perfect Strangers. All of them had a hook. Seinfeld was one of the first of that time just to be a sitcom with no gimmick. That's what the moniker is all about.

Perfect Strangers owns pretty loving hard

Balki is really awesome. The only bad thing about Perfect Strangers is that it gave us Family Matters.

Chicken Boo
Mar 20, 2009

I wear a disguise to look like human guys.
The conversation after the busboy gets fired in "The Busboy" is one of the absolute best in the series. I especially love Jerry's lines.

Jerry: I think the busboy's in trouble.
George: Did I get him in trouble? Because of what I said?! I just told him what happened, he didn't do it on purpose. He pointed at me! Why did he point at me?!
Elaine: I said I would never eat here again, but I... he had to know I was kidding.
Jerry: I didn't say anything.
George: I can't believe it. He's going! He's fired!
Elaine: Oh, I said it in a kidding way.
George: I didn't know he'd get fired.
Jerry: He'll probably kill his family over this.
George: What if he's waiting for me outside? He pointed at me! Did you see him point?!
Jerry: A lot of ex-cons become busboys. They seem to gravitate towards 'em.
George: Was it my fault?
Elaine: Was it MY fault?
Jerry: Maybe I'll try that pesto.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Know what I think is weird? Earlier on in the show, when Elaine had that big bouffant hair style (can't think of another word, you know what I'm talking about), Jerry, and I think George at least a few times, would make mention of getting together with her. Basically, Elaine was considered hot.

Then later, maybe season 6-onward, when she's actually, well... really hot, it's not that much of a thing for the characters on the show.

I can't think of any specific examples, aside from Jerry and Elaine's discussion about "Why can't we have... that... and ... this? Because THIS.... is good, and THAT... could be very good..."

That stuff was never brought up later on, was it?

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.
Well they had sex again in "The Mango" in season 5, but that was the last time they did it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

safety dan posted:

Well they had sex again in "The Mango" in season 5, but that was the last time they did it.

And refresh me... 'old' Elaine, or 'new' Elaine?

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.
Elaine's hair in season five is our transitional fossil. Not new, not old. It's not as tall and poofy, but It's not "new" yet, either. But if it's only one or the other, I'd say old Elaine.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

kaworu posted:

I think there is a lot more genuine laughter than laugh track. On the "Seinfeld: Extras" thing they talked about how they set up bleachers outside during "The Parking Space" to get genuine audience reaction. I'm also reminded of Baba Booey saying he was in the audience for "The Junior Mint" but I don't think he commented on a laugh track. Obviously it's there sometimes, but not to the point that it bothers me.

Somewhat related: If anyone can find the clip where George is trying to get a death certificate at the funeral in "The Implant," it's the most clear version of Jerry laughing behind the camera I have ever heard. Here's the dialog so if that episode comes on, listen for it.

FATHER JESSUP: This is my third wake this month. It never gets any easier.

GEORGE (loading up his plate with sandwiches): Well, losing a loved is, uh...I mean, forget about it. <Starts wolfing down the sandwiches.>

FATHER JESSUP: You seem to be of great comfort to Betsy, we're very appreciative.

GEORGE: Oh - comfort, schmomfort. Listen, Father, can I ask you a question? In a terrible time like this...who would I get the death certificate from?

penis sandwich
Aug 28, 2004

have some pudding :)
Jerry: Well, the yogurt verdict is in.
Kramer: Oh?
Jerry: FAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

penis sandwich posted:

Jerry: Well, the yogurt verdict is in.