Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

ASSTASTIC posted:

Anyone used the Harbor Freight HPLV guns before? Any opinions?

My next door neighbor owns a auto body repair shop. He tells me that some of his guys use cheap guns like this or the cheap Sharpe guns and other guys use expensive guns.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/sharpe-finex-fx3000-hvlp-paint-gun-p-14969.aspx

The difference is that the cheap guns have to be thrown out because they wear out after frequent use. I did my caddy with the "DeVILBISS FinishLine 3" and it came out fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

daslog posted:

My next door neighbor owns a auto body repair shop. He tells me that some of his guys use cheap guns like this or the cheap Sharpe guns and other guys use expensive guns.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/sharpe-finex-fx3000-hvlp-paint-gun-p-14969.aspx

The difference is that the cheap guns have to be thrown out because they wear out after frequent use. I did my caddy with the "DeVILBISS FinishLine 3" and it came out fine.

Please educate the uneducated. How does a paint gun wear out? Does it clog? Or a spring/trigger break? It just seems like a simple, but precise piece of equipment, and I would assume with some TLC, you would be able to get a good amount of mileage out of one.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
The O-rings inside of them need to be replaced every so often. There isn't much else to wear out. I suppose some people don't know how to replace O-rings, and throw them out.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
:woop: New toy inside! New toy inside!

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Just in time for my locker/fuse box wiring.

Watch, I'll have the drat thing lost in a few days... :mad:

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

BigKOfJustice posted:

:woop: New toy inside! New toy inside!

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Just in time for my locker/fuse box wiring.

Watch, I'll have the drat thing lost in a few days... :mad:

Looks like a nice tool, I wish I could justify spending $117.82 I'd use that infrequently.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Crimp Tools!

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

dv6speed posted:

The O-rings inside of them need to be replaced every so often. There isn't much else to wear out. I suppose some people don't know how to replace O-rings, and throw them out.

Good to know. I would assume that if I got a HF spray gun, my HF huge o-ring kit would then help replace said o-rings. And if I do gently caress up the gun in the cleaning process, then Ill go ahead and toss it. No biggie.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

One Day Fish Sale posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Crimp Tools!

Well this IS the tools thread, and it's kinda insane for a hobbyist to spend that much on one tool...

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
It's not just o-rings that wear out in a paint gun. The fluid adjusters, internal regulator, and tip all deteriorate over time in any gun; they just do it extremely fast in the cheap guns and don't make economical sense to replace.

If you're just going to paint something once or even only every few months, stick with a cheap gun. If you plan on painting more than a half dozen times a year, pick up a nice paint gun. I've used a cheap parts store gun and a high end gun side by side and there isn't enough of a difference in features or paint application quality to justify the price difference for a hobbyist painter.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

ab0z posted:

Well this IS the tools thread, and it's kinda insane for a hobbyist to spend that much on one tool...

After throwing out 2-3 other crimpers, it'll pay for itself.

I have to do a few harnesses for diesel conversions, and spending $200 on crimpers [I ordered a weatherpak kit from another vendor], is a heck of a lot cheaper then buying OEM harnesses and getting a shop to do up costume wiring for you.

Heck I've seen shops charge $100-250 for $7 worth of cable and connectors for a diesel IP remote mount kit.

$100 isn't a lot for a tool you use often.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 29, 2010

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Trust me I meant insane in a good way :)

I'm the last person you have to justify good tools to. For my usage (once in a blue moon for one connection) some regular $5 crimping pliers are all I need. For your usage (building legitimate hardcore off road vehicles) a good tool is an INVESTMENT.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

ab0z posted:

Trust me I meant insane in a good way :)

I'm the last person you have to justify good tools to. For my usage (once in a blue moon for one connection) some regular $5 crimping pliers are all I need. For your usage (building legitimate hardcore off road vehicles) a good tool is an INVESTMENT.

I totally agree, its overkill for most folks, and I'm sure getting an el cheapo ratcheting crimper will be good enough in most cases.

Once I'm done with the wire harness work I'll probably start using it to wire up a few stepper motors to a Proxxon micro mill so I can start CNC'ing small parts. But that won't be until late summer at the earliest. Got to sell some crap first to make room.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Oh yea, I almost forgot: RE Weatherpack connectors.

Our engineering fee really isn't terribly high for those type of die sets. This isnt a quote by any means but I want to say for a DCT4 die it was like $300 which includes one die set then normal retail price after that. If the two of you were interested in them split them and then you could just swap diesets and have one to do the weather pack connectors.

I plan on doing some more cheap wire and terminal testing, I am very curious to see how they perform. If I have enough terminals Ill compare poo poo wire between the DCT4-102 and the HF as well.

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 29, 2010

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Goddam you bastards, and your buying tools, and your projects.
I bought a fuckin Corolla, it never breaks, and even if it did, its still under warranty, so even if I wanted to say, pop the hood and start ripping out wires, or shoot an AK 47 at the engine while its at wide open throttle with no oil or coolant, I'd still have nothing to fix.
I wish I was still driving my old Protege, so I could at least do a brake job every couple months.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
If it aint broke, time to upgrade.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
I've made a couple posts in the metal working thread in DIY that may be of interest to some AI guys:

Basic electricity for welders.

Everything you need to know to get started with Air-carbon-arc Cutting & Gouging

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
http://www.harborfreight.com

What the gently caress is this poo poo? Its a website that doesn't look horrible!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ASSTASTIC posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? Its a website that doesn't look horrible!

The first step in HF's inevitable decline.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

ASSTASTIC posted:

http://www.harborfreight.com/new-items/hydraulic-wire-crimping-tool-66150.html

New crimper on there. Good thing I don't do car audio installs for a living anymore, otherwise I'd be $70 poorer.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

ASSTASTIC posted:

Holy poo poo! Maybe their shipping times will improve as well.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

New crimper on there. Good thing I don't do car audio installs for a living anymore, otherwise I'd be $70 poorer.

These can pretty routinely be found for $50 and I hear ya. I never crimp wire of this gauge and I want one just cause holy poo poo...hydraulic wire crimper for $50-15%?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Its not new, its been on there for a year or so. We have one, it works awesome for crimping battery lugs.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

ASSTASTIC posted:

harborfreight.com and asstastic, up till now would have been closely associated in my mind.
I don't know if I can handle this sort of change.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I can only hope they used cheap Chinese prison children website labor to build that just like they do the tools. I don't not want to pay more for my crappy wrenches that are not quite the right size.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange

Elephanthead posted:

I can only hope they used cheap Chinese prison children website labor to build that just like they do the tools. I don't not want to pay more for my crappy wrenches that are not quite the right size.

By the way it throws out 404's; I think they did. :v:

Also for non-poo poo HF stuff; their metal hose clamps are pretty good for sealing fuel lines.

They look like locking clamps, but with rounded pads.

If you need something cheap to route wires into trim their clearance plastic trim tools do the job.
Definitely a disposable item, but if you need it cheap, the set's less than $3.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
That reminds me their worm clamps are absolutely poo poo. Worm clamps are something I will only buy american from. Chinese t-bolts and v-bands are fine but worm clamps from anywhere but here strip out way before they should.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Commodore 64 posted:

By the way it throws out 404's; I think they did. :v:

Also for non-poo poo HF stuff; their metal hose clamps are pretty good for sealing fuel lines.

They look like locking clamps, but with rounded pads.

If you need something cheap to route wires into trim their clearance plastic trim tools do the job.
Definitely a disposable item, but if you need it cheap, the set's less than $3.

Yea, the site is completely nonfunctional.

I've had really bad luck with the old-fashioned HF hose clamps larger than like 2 inches. The "teeth" on the band tend to shear and bend with moderate tightening.

edit: exactly what the above poster described.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 30, 2010

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
I'm about to buy my first air compressor and am looking for some opinions/advice. It's a Craftsman 25 gal compressor. 2 cylinder, oil lubricated, 150 max psi, SCFM Delivery At 40 psi: 7.4 SCFM, SCFM Delivery At 90 psi: 5.8 SCFM, and it's 120V.

I can get it from my local Sears for $387 after tax ($435 if I buy the 2-year extended warranty). I want it so I can use an impact gun and air ratchet. My house isn't set up for 240V which is why I have been looking at 120V compressors. Another deciding factor is that I can't really afford more than $500.

What do you guys think? Am I about to make a huge mistake? :ohdear:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Who buys worm clamps anyway, I always get the rolled-edge ones with the teeth molded in. Worth twice the price if on something that has high temperature variances or less than stellar hose or nipple.

THese type: http://www.johsoncn.com/ideal_hose_clamp.htm

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Baby Hitler posted:

Who buys worm clamps anyway, I always get the rolled-edge ones with the teeth molded in. Worth twice the price if on something that has high temperature variances or less than stellar hose or nipple.

I've never seen them before. Anywhere where I need a clamp large enough I replace them with t-bolt clamps cause they can take a ton of band tension and Ive never had one strip or break and the nylon insert means they're less likely to back out. For small hose clamps I should keep an eye out for those too.

I tested some wire today, left the number in my car but suffice it to say I wont be using that wire or terminals ever again.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Ericadia posted:

I'm about to buy my first air compressor and am looking for some opinions/advice. It's a Craftsman 25 gal compressor. 2 cylinder, oil lubricated, 150 max psi, SCFM Delivery At 40 psi: 7.4 SCFM, SCFM Delivery At 90 psi: 5.8 SCFM, and it's 120V.

I can get it from my local Sears for $387 after tax ($435 if I buy the 2-year extended warranty). I want it so I can use an impact gun and air ratchet. My house isn't set up for 240V which is why I have been looking at 120V compressors. Another deciding factor is that I can't really afford more than $500.

Do a search in this thread for compressors; we've been over them a bunch. Suffice it to say that that compressor is rather poor.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Baby Hitler posted:

Those ones are awesome, I switched to them when I redid my cooling system a few months back.

zifflol
Apr 27, 2004
I've seen a lot of black chrome tool sets in stores lately and I'm just wondering what the appeal is? Is it just an aesthetics thing or are they tougher or what? I can easily see some jackass buying them from the store assuming they're impacts and taking out an eye or more importantly, chipping paint from flying tool steel.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

zifflol posted:

I've seen a lot of black chrome tool sets in stores lately and I'm just wondering what the appeal is? Is it just an aesthetics thing or are they tougher or what? I can easily see some jackass buying them from the store assuming they're impacts and taking out an eye or more importantly, chipping paint from flying tool steel.

Have you ever actually broken a non-impact socket when using it as an impact socket? They don't exactly detonate when they break.

zifflol
Apr 27, 2004
Fair enough, I've never actually seen one go. I based that entirely off of all the warnings they gave us in school about it.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

zifflol posted:

Fair enough, I've never actually seen one go. I based that entirely off of all the warnings they gave us in school about it.

Yeah, they just crack down the side and make a rather unfulfilling *snap* sound.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

frozenphil posted:

Yeah, they just crack down the side and make a rather unfulfilling *snap* sound.

You've been lucky so far. I had a Harbor Freight one unwind like a goddamned concertina wire. I'm just glad my hand wasn't on it.

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.

Ericadia posted:

My house isn't set up for 240V which is why I have been looking at 120V compressors. Another deciding factor is that I can't really afford more than $500.

Look on craigslist for a while. Might have to sacrifice a little "performance" as most of the 120 units suck balls, but you can get an ok compressor for less than 200 bucks. Those things are throwaway, a lot of people unload them after a project.

Set up an RSS with compressor/er and keep cash in hand so you can snatch up a good deal from a bonehead.

I would investigate making your garage 240v with at least a 40 amp service. Big enough for all but the very large compressors and a good size welder. I did 240V@ 65A and it was about 300 bucks for a 65 foot run. Conduit, 6awg and a sub with all the breakers. Alternate if you rent, put it in the laundry room and hope the wife doesn't bitch. Or a big effin extension cord.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

PeaceFrog posted:

Look on craigslist for a while. Might have to sacrifice a little "performance" as most of the 120 units suck balls, but you can get an ok compressor for less than 200 bucks. Those things are throwaway, a lot of people unload them after a project.

Set up an RSS with compressor/er and keep cash in hand so you can snatch up a good deal from a bonehead.

I would investigate making your garage 240v with at least a 40 amp service. Big enough for all but the very large compressors and a good size welder. I did 240V@ 65A and it was about 300 bucks for a 65 foot run. Conduit, 6awg and a sub with all the breakers. Alternate if you rent, put it in the laundry room and hope the wife doesn't bitch. Or a big effin extension cord.

Nthing the 240v suggestion. I've got a 5HP 80 gallon 240v compressor in my garage, and it can almost keep up with a die-grinder. Running an impact or air ratchet is simple. Hell, I don't even turn it on most of the time, just use the air stored in the tank. I'll be running 3/4" copper air lines around the garage this summer, which will be :krad:

I'll also be mounting my HF 50' air hose reel between the doors.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

PeaceFrog posted:

Trust me I've had my phone set up to alert me whenever the words "air compressor" are used in craigslist ads in my areas. So far mostly pancake compressors. All the verticals have looked like poo poo or have been way too expensive. I guess I am just starting to get discouraged and am compromising.

After ctrl+fing through about 40 pages of this thread though, I am convinced that I will be unhappy with anything below 60 gallons (thanks sharkytm, catbus, oxbrain and others for all the advice given in this thread). And so, here's my plan: I'm going to bunker down and save my money until the right compressor shows up. In the mean time I am going to work on getting 240v to my garage (don't think housemates would appreciate me rewiring the hot tub breaker for my air compressor).

Huge mistake averted this time, thanks guys.