Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

The Archsquid posted:

I found a song on Youtube and was hoping to find more by the same artist. All of the names given in the video and description seem to be incorrect however, and I'm beginning to wonder if the song name is even correct. I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help me, but it's been bothering me all day so I have to try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8hUhw_M18w#!q=ghost%20waltz

I've search extensively for songs called Ghost Waltz, always get the same few, none of which are this one. I've searched the name Fats Kaplin that appears on the page, but while he's done a song called Ghost Waltz, it sounds completely different to this one, judging by a sample of it I found. The name Bill Higgins Burke in the description gives nothing on google, I don't know who it's supposed to be. At the end of the video it says "by J-Young" but he appears to be a rapper who, as far as I can tell from google, has never done a song sounding anything like this one, nor a song called Ghost Waltz. The whole thing is kinda baffling, really.

Also, does anyone know what genre this song would fall under? I'd like to search for more similar music regardless of whether or not I find the artist of this song, but I wouldn't know where to start looking.

I'd guess it's someone's arrangement of the Fats Kaplin track. It's tricky because it doesn't really sound anything like the original melody, but the chord changes sound the same to me. As far as genres go, I'm not really sure-- it's a pretty low-quality MIDI rendition of the song with some odd instrumentation choices. Is that Korean in the middle? J-Young is either just the uploader or the person who wrote it-- given the higher production quality of their other uploads, I'd guess that it's their attempt at writing something of their own. Kind of an odd choice of source material, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Archsquid
Apr 6, 2010

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

I'd guess it's someone's arrangement of the Fats Kaplin track. It's tricky because it doesn't really sound anything like the original melody, but the chord changes sound the same to me. As far as genres go, I'm not really sure-- it's a pretty low-quality MIDI rendition of the song with some odd instrumentation choices. Is that Korean in the middle? J-Young is either just the uploader or the person who wrote it-- given the higher production quality of their other uploads, I'd guess that it's their attempt at writing something of their own. Kind of an odd choice of source material, though.

Ah, you're probably right, I never found a full version of the Fats Kaplin song, only samples, so I never compared the two. I'd still like to find more like this one though, I really like it for some reason. Well thanks, in any case.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

PissFilledCumBubble posted:

Probably TWDY - Playa's Holiday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbwcU2YbBRI

If not check here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovely_Day_(song)#Covers_and_samples

wasn't the first one, but the second link led me right to it!

Twista - Sunshine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcormVh9G0I

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

There's a trance song that I think was found on a relatively recent Tiesto's club life. The only thing I remember is that the hook is very similar to the first few notes of the 30 Rock theme song - the first few notes with the horn-sounding thing. If it helps, I seem to recall it being played during his live Creamfields set.

Oisin
Jul 22, 2009
I'm looking for a Afro Celt Sound System song. It was pretty upbeat and it had noticeable drums - it seemed more Celtic than a lot of their other stuff I've been going through.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Iraff posted:

There's a trance song that I think was found on a relatively recent Tiesto's club life. The only thing I remember is that the hook is very similar to the first few notes of the 30 Rock theme song - the first few notes with the horn-sounding thing. If it helps, I seem to recall it being played during his live Creamfields set.

It's not La Tromba by Chris Lake & Lys, is it?

Oisin posted:

I'm looking for a Afro Celt Sound System song. It was pretty upbeat and it had noticeable drums - it seemed more Celtic than a lot of their other stuff I've been going through.

Somehow I don't think 'the ACSS song that's Celtic sounding and has drums' narrows things down very much :what: lol... you must have gotten unlucky and only checked out some of their mellower more african sounding songs or something, I would say more than half fit your description. Make sure you skip ahead, a lot have really mellow intros and then the drums kick in. But see if any of these are it.

Mojave
Lover of Light
Colossus
Eireann

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

etard knievel posted:

It's not La Tromba by Chris Lake & Lys, is it?

Not quite. There's more of an electro feel to it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
edit: nvm. there's a better thread for this

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

On the oldies station yesterday I heard a real funky "Prince-ish" sounding song that was pretty awesome. The only lyrics I could remember was a break in the middle where the dude kept singing "dance dance do your dance do your dance" and then at the end there was a killer horn breakdown.

It's not Prince - Do Your Dance, and it's not Rose Royce - Do Your Dance. Wish I had more to go by.

alcoholiday
Apr 25, 2008
I think this http://www.tindeck.com/listen/dldc is a riff from a song by a mainstream "indie" band from 06-07. Possibly Bloc Party or some band like that.

I don't know if that bassline is right and don't remember any words, but that's a transition riff that I think is played after the intro and before the verse. The guitar tone has a fair bit of reverb and/or delay. Thanks for any help.

alcoholiday fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 30, 2010

AncientDirtbag
Feb 16, 2006

alcoholiday posted:

I think this http://www.tindeck.com/listen/dldc is a riff from a song by a mainstream "indie" band from 06-07. Possibly Bloc Party or some band like that.

I don't know if that bassline is right and don't remember any words, but that's a transition riff that I think is played after the intro and before the verse. The guitar tone has a fair bit of reverb and/or delay. Thanks for any help.

The Killers - All These Things That I've Done

alcoholiday
Apr 25, 2008

alcoholiday fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 1, 2011

ranarium
Jul 25, 2006
there's nothing wrong with plaid
This couldn't be much more vague, but here goes: it's a pop song from I'd say, the mid 90s to mid 00's, the lead singer has a somewhat girly/whiny voice, and lyric-wise, the only thing I have is that the last two words of the chorus are a warbled "...slippin' away!"

If you can do anything with this you're a miracle worker, but it's been driving me nuts for a while now.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

Tokelau All Star posted:

On the oldies station yesterday I heard a real funky "Prince-ish" sounding song that was pretty awesome. The only lyrics I could remember was a break in the middle where the dude kept singing "dance dance do your dance do your dance" and then at the end there was a killer horn breakdown.

It's not Prince - Do Your Dance, and it's not Rose Royce - Do Your Dance. Wish I had more to go by.

He says something like that in Cameo - Word Up, but that's probably not it.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

ranarium posted:

This couldn't be much more vague, but here goes: it's a pop song from I'd say, the mid 90s to mid 00's, the lead singer has a somewhat girly/whiny voice, and lyric-wise, the only thing I have is that the last two words of the chorus are a warbled "...slippin' away!"

If you can do anything with this you're a miracle worker, but it's been driving me nuts for a while now.

Hmm, you might want to try Delays, either Wanderlust or Nearer than Heaven?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Today on the radio I heard Stand Back by Stevie Nicks. I realized I had heard that EXACT beat before, I think while listening to the Daft Punk station on Pandora. It was definitely some sort of techno or electronica song but absolutely used the exact intro beat. I can't find it and I AM GOING INSANE. Please help!

Edit: My friend found it! Linus Loves- The Terrace

Mike the TV fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 1, 2010

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Mike the TV posted:

Today on the radio I heard Stand Back by Stevie Nicks. I realized I had heard that EXACT beat before, I think while listening to the Daft Punk station on Pandora. It was definitely some sort of techno or electronica song but absolutely used the exact intro beat. I can't find it and I AM GOING INSANE. Please help!

Edit: My friend found it! Linus Loves- The Terrace

There's a remix of Billie Jean by Michael Jackson that's been getting some play at the gay bar lately. Dunno how old it is or who did it.

*edit: well i thought you were talking about just the drums at the very beginning! looks like the problem's been solved anyway

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 1, 2010

StrungOutFlip
Mar 17, 2009

Alright guys, lets shoot the stars...ohhh you just killed every star!
Theres a techno song they've been playing at clubs recently. Theres no lyrics and has this repetitive motif that plays throughout that kind of sounds like a musette or some other european type instrument. It might have been sampled from some old european song but I'm not too sure.

edit: Contrary to what i said before, the song does have female vocals.

StrungOutFlip fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 2, 2010

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

StrungOutFlip posted:

Theres a techno song they've been playing at clubs recently. Theres no lyrics and has this repetitive motif that plays throughout that kind of sounds like a musette or some other european type instrument. It might have been sampled from some old european song but I'm not too sure.

Surprisingly, folksy euro-jams have been something of a 'thing' in house lately. Was it any of these?
Samim - Heater
Steve Mac - Paddy's Revenge
Ramirez - Hablando
instrumental version of In Grid - Tu Es Foutu / You Promised Me
Riva Starr feat. Noze - I Was Drunk (this one has lyrics but there are instrumental versions floating around, also p much all of Noze's songs have silly french sounding samples like this so if it's not this one but sounded similar check out their album Songs On The Rocks)

ranarium
Jul 25, 2006
there's nothing wrong with plaid

HoldYourFire posted:

Hmm, you might want to try Delays, either Wanderlust or Nearer than Heaven?

Neither of these is the song, but thanks for the suggestions!

Saint Jimmy
Jul 5, 2006

OK, the band was called Jameson (maybe spelled differently), I think they were from Pittsburgh. The song in question is called something like "Codec" but i'm not sure. The song had them singing "Is there anybody out there?" over and over again if I recall.

Not a lot to go on, but help a homie out.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
It was a 90's/00's alt rock song, female singer, but a band. Song name/band name I think had "gold" in it?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Okposolypse posted:

It was a 90's/00's alt rock song, female singer, but a band. Song name/band name I think had "gold" in it?
Gold Lion by Yeah Yeah Yeahs possibly

StrungOutFlip
Mar 17, 2009

etard knievel posted:

Surprisingly, folksy euro-jams have been something of a 'thing' in house lately. Was it any of these?
Samim - Heater
Steve Mac - Paddy's Revenge
Ramirez - Hablando
instrumental version of In Grid - Tu Es Foutu / You Promised Me
Riva Starr feat. Noze - I Was Drunk (this one has lyrics but there are instrumental versions floating around, also p much all of Noze's songs have silly french sounding samples like this so if it's not this one but sounded similar check out their album Songs On The Rocks)

Sorry, I made a mistake. The song actually does have vocals done by a female. Those are great songs though unfortunately not the one I was looking for

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

^ and it wasn't Dance Avec Moi?

Okposolypse posted:

Goldfrapp - Ooh La La?

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 2, 2010

StrungOutFlip
Mar 17, 2009

No sorry, I'll try doing some recording of the motif tomorrow. Too tired to do it right now.

Alpha Shroom
Mar 12, 2007

:iamafag:I AM A HUGE GODDAMN FAGGOT, DON'T READ ANY OF MY POSTS:iamafag:
Okay, I'm looking for some rather strange modern classical music. No particular song, but a composer. There was a classical music thread in LF not too long ago, and it was mentioned near the end of it. Really unnerving, jarring stuff that sounded like something from a contemporary horror movie.

I don't really expect anyone to know exactly what I'm talking about, but anything that fits the description of "scary, unnerving modern classical music" will probably hit the spot.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

penderecki's threnody for the victims of hiroshima?

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Thanks man, got it.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

chachu posted:

He says something like that in Cameo - Word Up, but that's probably not it.

Yeah this was totally it. Thanks man.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

Tokelau All Star posted:

Yeah this was totally it. Thanks man.

I hope you watched the video and saw his big red codpiece.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

chachu posted:

I hope you watched the video and saw his big red codpiece.

That's probably what Levar Burton was trying to arrest him for

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

StrungOutFlip posted:

edit: Contrary to what i said before, the song does have female vocals.

One - Swedish House Mafia?
Its sure enough repetitive, but the repeating part is a synth so I am skeptical.

StrungOutFlip
Mar 17, 2009

phractured posted:

One - Swedish House Mafia?
Its sure enough repetitive, but the repeating part is a synth so I am skeptical.

No sorry

I made a small, quick recording of it to give you an idea of what it kind of sounds like

readysetflow
Nov 11, 2008
http://vimeo.com/7439672

does anyone know the specific remix of pachelbel's canon that's the first song in this video? This is killing me.

StrungOutFlip
Mar 17, 2009

readysetflow posted:

does anyone know the specific remix of pachelbel's canon that's the first song in this video? This is killing me.

edit: nevermind im an idiot

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

readysetflow posted:

"hello. this is the offices of dr. octagon. if you have a insurance and medical problems, i'm here for you for any type of intestine surgery, rectal rebuilding, relocated saliva glands, and chimpanzee acne, and of course moose bumps. you can call 1-800-PP5-1-DOODOO. i'm in your corner."

it's kool keith as dr. octagon, "i got to tell you." the instrumental version. i can't find it on youtube

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

So I've been trying to find this song that I vaguely remember seeing a music video for like 5(possibly more) years back. All I remember about the song itself is that it was pretty fast paced. I still remember the music video rather well.

-There's a convenience store, with a bunch of horny people in it

-as the people in the store get all super horny the camera goes into their heads where the singer of the band is like sticking out of parts of their brains or something.

- if I recall correctly theres also a bit outside the store where poo poo gets equally as crazy.

I wish I could give more info but it's been far too long for me to grasp at such details.

Thanks in advance.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 6, 2010

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.
Heard a song in Urban Outfitters yesterday, I tried really hard to listen for lyrics and remember a line, then forgot about it the rest of the day and hate myself for it now.

It sounded sort of like the Joy Formidable's female lyrics, but I think the vocals took turns between a guy and girl. The girl's ending chorus was something like "but i still let you in" or "i still let you through" or something like that. I think there was also some "na na na na na" type of stuff going on, vocally, too. Sounded like what i could best describe as indie ambient rock.

Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

amishsexpot posted:

Heard a song in Urban Outfitters yesterday, I tried really hard to listen for lyrics and remember a line, then forgot about it the rest of the day and hate myself for it now.

It sounded sort of like the Joy Formidable's female lyrics, but I think the vocals took turns between a guy and girl. The girl's ending chorus was something like "but i still let you in" or "i still let you through" or something like that. I think there was also some "na na na na na" type of stuff going on, vocally, too. Sounded like what i could best describe as indie ambient rock.

Sigh.
Did it sound anything like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHZVGqqf3gg