Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Yeah Eyeshield has a lot of over-the-top goofiness in it. That is also why it rules. :colbert: I liked the pregame pumping up that Hiruma did since it is a pretty integral part of the football playing experience. LET'S loving KILL THEM :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I always secretly hoped that the end of the manga would be Hiruma actually using his guns to mow down the other team.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.
All Rounder Meguru, Kuroko No Basket, and Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru are my sports mangas of choice at present. Of those, either Kuroko or Minoru would compare well to Ippo, depending on how you do the comparisons. Kuroko has the hyper-specialized opponents of the week who eventually become somewhat buddies, but Minoru has the Takamura and Aoki/Kimura knockoffs.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
Because of all this Eyeshield 21 talk I just had to go and read the last chapters again, and it is sad how rushed the ending was. How is it that Hajime no Ippo is still going on with this boring fight while a series that was already wrapping up was canceled early and got rushed to completion?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

logger posted:

Because of all this Eyeshield 21 talk I just had to go and read the last chapters again, and it is sad how rushed the ending was. How is it that Hajime no Ippo is still going on with this boring fight while a series that was already wrapping up was canceled early and got rushed to completion?

HnI has become too big to fail easily. It doesn't matter how good or bad it is any more, because people will keep reading it regardless. Sort of like Detective Conan, I guess.

dag01
Mar 9, 2004
for you to be inside of me is a delightful concept

logger posted:

I don't believe it was cancelled, I believe the writer quit so the artist had to write and he ended it early because he was an awful author.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Serious Frolicking posted:

HnI has become too big to fail easily. It doesn't matter how good or bad it is any more, because people will keep reading it regardless. Sort of like Detective Conan, I guess.

Let's be fair to HnI. It currently sucks but the series was rock-solid for more than a decade and there is no reason to believe it cannot return to the same kind of quality. Editors take that kind of record into account and can cut the series some slack. Now, if it continues to be poo poo for a long time then it may get into trouble but I sincerely hope than won't be the case. Morikawa appears to know what the readers think (that the current fight is pretty much BS) so I expect the next arc to be quite an improvement.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
This thing is weirdly infuriating.
It seems that the general message is "Karate is superior and if you do something else there's something very wrong with you"
Every other kind of martial arts is useless, and if you know Brazilian jujitsu you must be a gay rapist.

And they still recruit the rapist wtf

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Forest Fuckery posted:

It seems that the general message is "Karate is superior and if you do something else there's something very wrong with you"
Every other kind of martial arts is useless, and if you know Brazilian jujitsu you must be a gay rapist.

Amend to "Japan is superior and if you are from somewhere else there's something very wrong with you." and you basically have Ippo. Basically everyone from another country was a huge rear end in a top hat in one way or another barring Volg.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

What are you talking about? Outside of Hawk and Anderson the manga has been pretty good about foreign boxers.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Guyver posted:

What are you talking about? Outside of Hawk and Anderson the manga has been pretty good about foreign boxers.

A BLACK BOXER

he was a nice guy though

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

trucutru posted:

Morikawa appears to know what the readers think (that the current fight is pretty much BS) so I expect the next arc to be quite an improvement.

What are you basing this on?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

I'm sure he's hearing about it, since even Japan fans aren't too keen on it. Will he act on it though? Depends on if he's just gotten lazy, had a bad idea on-track, or if he's in a dry spell/hit a wall.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DamnGlitch posted:

Mostly in that he had Takamura say that the fight was bullshit. Also, Japanese fans do give feedback and, from what I've heard the guys at 2ch are also mocking this stuff a lot (well, they do then do dislike most things).

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

trucutru posted:

Mostly in that he had Takamura say that the fight was bullshit. Also, Japanese fans do give feedback and, from what I've heard the guys at 2ch are also mocking this stuff a lot (well, they do then do dislike most things).

Yeah, but that's not the same as him going "welp this fight is pretty bad guys just ride it out we'll be in happy town soon."

And 2ch hating on poo poo definitely isn't something to base much on. I certainly hope you are right, but I'm not staking a whole lot on it until I see it in action.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Raw spoiler

Woli gets the poo poo beat out of him. Finally.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Infinitum posted:

Raw spoiler

Woli gets the poo poo beat out of him. Finally.

http://i40.tinypic.com/dm5f6b.jpg:woop:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Someone posted this fake picture somewheres. Comedy gold if people bought it :buddy:

'Shopped pic

Oh god. I'm dying here ='D

Geop fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 11, 2010

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Boys, some good news and bad news. A new chapter is out:

http://www.mediafire.com/?hzigldgm2ny
Direct Download: http://ippo.geekfeat.com/HnI_894.rar

The good news, this crappy fight is finally over.
The bad news, we are the most gullible audience ever. We stuck with this horrible fight this long, and this is our cheap, tacked-on ending.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
This ending sucks.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

frabba posted:

This ending sucks.

Don't care it's over :dance:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Hahaha it looks like the Gate from Full Metal Alchemist is trying to grab Woli.

Also that little panel of Ippo's fist two inches from Woli's face is the most god drat beautiful thing.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

fivegears4reverse posted:

Don't care it's over :dance:

Sums up my thoughts perfectly.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Forest Fuckery posted:

I don't really get this impression...they don't seem to treat other martial arts like they suck; it's more that they act like Mutou is just a total badass. I think they even mentioned at one point that you can't just use karate, since if you didn't learn something else you've be useless when fighting on the ground. I mean, yeah, karate will obviously win in the end because the main character(s) do it, but they don't act like other martial arts suck.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ahaahhahaha, this chapter stinks of "Morikawa! stop this poo poo, NOW!". Woli going "so, this is boxing! and this... is a boxer! :allears:" sucks so much. He is not a boxer, he is an invincible punching bag that hit hard, if you try to box like him you'll get brain damage.

Hopefully we will never have to endure a fight like this again. Good riddance!

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

trucutru posted:

Hopefully we will never have to endure a fight like this again. Good riddance!
:smith: Why do I have this odd feeling that it won't be the last...?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Did 893 ever get translated?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Did 893 ever get translated?
Not since I last checked!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Geop posted:

:smith: Why do I have this odd feeling that it won't be the last...?

The next fight will be another jungle boy like Woli, only he'll be some friend of Woli's and point out that "actually, everyone in our jungle village is at least as strong as Woli...Woli was just average :smug:"

Seriously though, I am very curious as to what the next fight will be. I'm hoping it isn't a Miyata fight, since I really don't like Miyata fights. Despite the shittiness of Ippo's recent fights, I feel like there's even less to expect out of Miyata fights. I mean, he's already faster than the speed of sound. (Speaking of which, when he made that "supersonic" punch did they also mention a sonic boom "crack"? I don't remember, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did).

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

The next thing coming up is the Class A tournament which Itagaki, Kimura and Aoki are all hoping to do well in.

It should be a decent change of pace but it's probably an excuse for Morikawa to take Itagaki's fights up another level of stupidity too. Just wait till he's punching at the speed of light.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Mr. Deathy posted:

The next thing coming up is the Class A tournament which Itagaki, Kimura and Aoki are all hoping to do well in.

It should be a decent change of pace but it's probably an excuse for Morikawa to take Itagaki's fights up another level of stupidity too. Just wait till he's punching at the speed of light.

The real question is: will Kimura finally get a KO? And in what new way will Aoki be a spectacular failure?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Itagaki is so fast that due to relativistic time dilation his punches also knock out Aoki and Kimura when they fight later. Then the series ends, because punches at the speed of light have infinite mass and the shock from the impact wipes out the city.

Sue me, it has been over a decade since I've taken a physics course.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Morikawa will show his superior and more full understanding of physics by having the crowd go "what was that flash?" and then Takamura is like "Jesus Christ...his punch must have smashed the light barrier..."

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Itagaki is so fast that due to relativistic time dilation his punches also knock out Aoki and Kimura when they fight later. Then the series ends, because punches at the speed of light have infinite mass and the shock from the impact wipes out the city.

Sue me, it has been over a decade since I've taken a physics course.

So it's the boxing equivalent to the Chaos Dunk?

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Hoooooly poo poo

Post apocalyptic Hajime no Ippo. I know i'd loving read it.

Wheres 893 :(
(Even though I can guess whats gonna happen in the next couple of chapters due to people not caring about spoiler tags)

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

tazman posted:

Hoooooly poo poo

Post apocalyptic Hajime no Ippo. I know i'd loving read it.

Only if Itagaki roams the ruins in a daze, hands shackled together to keep his terrible power in check. Terrified of destroying what's left of mankind, terrified of running into his firends who's life he's ruined, terrified of death and suicide, he desperately seeks a return to his pun-filled youth, instead of the bleak nihilistic existence he made with his terrible right fist.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
But all that changes when he comes across a marauding band of slavers. Forced by the shreds of humanity left in him, he decides to step in and save the woman being chased. In a truly original plot he discovers she is the daughter of the overthrown king of Japan thus triggering his final quest to restore stability to the country and restore stability to his heart.

Ok that's enough (awesome) derailing from me.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Would Raoh and Shin have lived if Kenshiro's fists (...and fingertips) had the same curative power of Ippo's?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Deathy posted:

Morikawa will show his superior and more full understanding of physics by having the crowd go "what was that flash?" and then Takamura is like "Jesus Christ...his punch must have smashed the light barrier..."

SHOWIN' OFF THAT BLACK PEOPLE BOXING SKILL-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoneb
Jan 8, 2009

by angerbotSD
What the hell? 894 hits Manga Fox with no 893 in sight.