Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Frog?? Frog is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Moses was a picker.

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSf2O80brbU

My other favorite intro is for the Merv Griffin Show, which I can't seem to find:

Kramer: We're like Cain and Abel.
Jerry: You know Cain slew Abel.
Kramer: No he didn't. They were in business together...drywall or something.
Jerry: The way I remember it, Abel worked all summer harvesting his crops, while Cain just played in the field. Then when winter came, Abel had all the nuts. Cain had no nuts. So he killed him.
Kramer: See, the way I remember it, Cain - he was a successful doctor, but when he took this special formula, he became Mr Abel.
Jerry: You broke my blender, didn't you?
Kramer: Yeah, I was trying to make gravel, and it just, didn't work out.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What the $%&^ are you doing you little piece of @%$#!

Frankly, Jerry was well within his rights to yell at that kid. He was loving with his drat tape like a moron.

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

I've always been a fan of George heavy episodes. The Opposite is probably my very favorite. Watching George succeed when Elaine fails never gets old.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

BobMcFartsens posted:

I've always been a fan of George heavy episodes.

As far as I'm concerned, the show should have been called "Costanza" instead of "Seinfeld".

Undersold
Oct 12, 2002

Join me for a glass of champagna

mcbexx posted:

As far as I'm concerned, the show should have been called "Costanza" instead of "Seinfeld".

I'm so happy to see all this George love. I've seen every episode a million times and I still laugh my rear end off at anything George does.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

mcbexx posted:

I really doubt you'll find alot of people that argue that George doesn't have the best scenes, the series still wouldn't work as well without the whole cast. I also have a soft spot for Kramer since I know a guy that's about 80% as insane as him, acts exactly like him with the spastic movements and always has a terrible idea (that he follows through) that will make him rich.

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart
I've probably said this already but George is easily the greatest character in tv history. His lies, his neurosis, his schemes and determination, his utter failures in life. I can't get enough of it.

My favorite "Georgeism" that I use on a regular basis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd9ma2UVLHM

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The defining moment for George's character, to me, was when he made the decision to eat the eclair out of the trash can.

And the really hosed up thing? I can sort of see his logic. It's an eye opening moment in your life when you find yourself thinking like George Costanza.

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart

Ddraig posted:

And the really hosed up thing? I can sort of see his logic. It's an eye opening moment in your life when you find yourself thinking like George Costanza.
There was no way George could justify that one, Jerry was right on. Trash is trash.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ddraig posted:

The defining moment for George's character, to me, was when he made the decision to eat the eclair out of the trash can.

Sort of? It was a perfectly good eclair, sitting on top of the trash, on a wrapper and a magazine! It wasn't even in contact with real trash, and was definitely recently put there. I say it's fair game...George's only true mistake was getting caught.

Still love how Jerry puts it though: "You find yourself in the kitchen. You see an eclair in the receptacle, and you think to yourself, 'What the Hell, I'll just eat some trash.'"

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

the aftermath posted:

There was no way George could justify that one, Jerry was right on. Trash is trash.

Any man who says they haven't or wouldn't eat something from the top of the trash is lying. :colbert:

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

TMMadman posted:

Any man who says they haven't or wouldn't eat something from the top of the trash is lying. :colbert:

If the pizza is still in the box, it's fair game.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I know it's an obvious thing to say, but Seinfeld thrives in basically taking all those little things that people do but don't talk about because they know it's socially not acceptable, and then having the person that does it fall under social scrutiny.

The fact that you can even take sides on stuff like the eclair incident goes to show just how in tune the writers (Larry David in particular) were with the average middle-class person.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

Supreme Allah posted:

I like the later seasons because around S3.S4 Elaine evolves from being an annoying, badly dressed shrew into a hot corporate bitch that did hilariously petty and hateful things
Agreed, but you have to remember that is how people dressed in the late 80s/early 90s. It looks horrible to us now, but back then she wasn't out of place with her wardrobe.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Karl Rove posted:

Baaad! Stay away from the chicken! Mess you up!

That's not going to be good for business.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

olylifter posted:

That's not going to be good for business.

That's not going to be good for anybody.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

JethroMcB posted:

Sort of? It was a perfectly good eclair, sitting on top of the trash, on a wrapper and a magazine! It wasn't even in contact with real trash, and was definitely recently put there. I say it's fair game...George's only true mistake was getting caught.

Well, you, my friend, have crossed the line that divides Man and Bum. You are now a Bum.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

JethroMcB posted:

Still love how Jerry puts it though: "You find yourself in the kitchen. You see an eclair in the receptacle, and you think to yourself, 'What the Hell, I'll just eat some trash.'"

I would be a little torn on the issue if it was a completely unblemished eclair, but there was a bite taken out of it. It was trash.

edit: vvvvvvvvvvvv No, it was above the rim. Still. Bite mark. vvvvvvvvvv

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 3, 2010

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Yeah, the bite mark makes it unequivocally trash. Plus, the pile was still a couple of inches below the lid wasn't it? It's one thing if it's sort of floating on top of a pile that extends to above the lid, but below the lid? Inexcusable.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Yeah well the life support machine called...
*turns car around*

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
It might start with eating an eclair that may be above the lid, but if you stay on that slippery slope you could become a world class, trash eating wrestler.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Jingleheimer posted:

It might start with eating an eclair that may be above the lid, but if you stay on that slippery slope you could become a world class, trash eating wrestler.

You might think you're kidding...

quote:

Tao of the dumpster
In the show’s third part, writer Dirk Jamison describes how his father discovered the joy of dumpster-diving during the mid-1970s. After (more-or-less intentionally) losing his job, Jamison’s father decided trash-hunting was a way to get something for nothing: a way to feed his family without money.

Jamison’s father has a philosophy that I’ll bet many GRS readers will identify with, though his approach to it is different from what most of us would choose. And it’s definitely different from his wife’s — his dumpster-diving becomes indicative of deeper problems in his marriage and other relationships. Ultimately, this is a cautionary tale about taking anything to an extreme.

quote:

This was a lifestyle choice rather than necessity. Able-bodied but unwilling to waste his time on a paying job, the author's father saw eating trash as a means of gaining free time: "More trash means less work. Less work means more time." But his enthusiasm for jars of expired pickled eggs and the like was not shared by the rest of the family.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/62/Something-for-Nothing

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ehud posted:

Well, you, my friend, have crossed the line that divides Man and Bum. You are now a Bum.

I stand by my decision and know that in every man's heart lies the soul of a garbage eater.

The Walrus posted:

I would be a little torn on the issue if it was a completely unblemished eclair, but there was a bite taken out of it. It was trash.

edit: vvvvvvvvvvvv No, it was above the rim. Still. Bite mark. vvvvvvvvvv

Although I will say I would have at least respected the bite mark and eaten around it, unlike George who shoved the thing bite-end first into his maw.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Really? The bite mark isn't that big of a deal. Just think of it as bonding with your new family or something.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
The still shot of the "George Costanza playing chess" Youtube video could not have captured the essence of George more perfectly

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

HateTheInternet posted:

The still shot of the "George Costanza playing chess" Youtube video could not have captured the essence of George more perfectly

oh gently caress you :saddowns:

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
I think that the reason George works so well is because of the performance of Jason Alexander. He manages to take this guy who does almost exclusively horrible things, and somehow make him relatable.

You keep thinking "Well, George is a basically good guy", even though he isn't! He is a terrible person who does terrible things, but somehow you still root for him.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh
Just like Larry David! I always find myself relating to LD and seeing the validity in his points of view. There's no question his "character" on Curb is an awful person though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ishamael posted:

You keep thinking "Well, George is a basically good guy", even though he isn't! He is a terrible person who does terrible things, but somehow you still root for him.

Remember...it's not a lie, if you believe it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The thing about George is that all of his flaws are extremely human. Everyone knows someone that does as little as possible at work, or that tells white lies to get out of commitments. We've all felt like refusing to go through with some sort of social obligation or hating to apologize when we don't think we did anything wrong.

George just has all of these things crammed into on character.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DrBouvenstein posted:

Remember...it's not a lie, if you believe it.

This is the best George line and I truly believe that it is the best advice possible for fooling a lie detector test.

Also, the George eating from the trash episode came on today and it's so hilarious because it goes from George eating the trash to him wiping off a windshield with a newspaper to him coming out of the bathroom with no shirt on. Also it has Pittman doing Hitler.

And it ends with the gymnast telling Jerry:

"In my country, they speak of a man so virile, so potent, that to spend a night with such a man is to enter a world of sensual delights most women dare not dream of. This man is known as The Comedian. You may tell jokes Mr. Jerry Seinfeld, but you are no Comedian."

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 4, 2010

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

TMMadman posted:

This is the best George line and I truly believe that it is the best advice possible for fooling a lie detector test.

Also, the George eating from the trash episode came on today and it's so hilarious because it goes from George eating the trash to him wiping off a windshield with a newspaper to him coming out of the bathroom with no shirt on. Also it has Pittman doing Hitler.

And it ends with the gymnast telling Jerry:

"In my country, they speak of a man so virile, so potent, that to spend a night with such a man is to enter a world of sensual delights most women dare not dream of. This man is known as The Comedian. You may tell jokes Mr. Jerry Seinfeld, but you are no Comedian."
I'm so sad to say I lost one of my Seinfeld discs and it had both of those episodes on it. I haven't seen them in forever. ):

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Yeah I also caught the George trash eating episode tonight. One thing that always gets me when I watch Seinfeld reruns is how much memorable poo poo could happen over the course of episode. I remembered the trash eating of course. I remembered Kramer passing his kidney stone and knocking that guy off balance. I remembered George took everything off when he went to the bathroom. I even sort of remembered the gymnast discussions. However, I did not remember that all that happened in one god drat episode.

edit: Oh, and the 3-D art. AND the Hitler mustache part.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I know it's an obvious thing to say, but Seinfeld thrives in basically taking all those little things that people do but don't talk about because they know it's socially not acceptable, and then having the person that does it fall under social scrutiny.

The fact that you can even take sides on stuff like the eclair incident goes to show just how in tune the writers (Larry David in particular) were with the average middle-class person.

The one that really got me wasn't in an episode I don't think, but from Seinfeld's comedy CD. He mentions how you're in the shower sometimes and you notice a hair stuck to the wall and proceed to gather little pools of water with your hands to throw at it so you don't have to touch it. I thought I was the only one! :monocle:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Philip J Fry posted:

The one that really got me wasn't in an episode I don't think, but from Seinfeld's comedy CD. He mentions how you're in the shower sometimes and you notice a hair stuck to the wall and proceed to gather little pools of water with your hands to throw at it so you don't have to touch it. I thought I was the only one! :monocle:

Haha I had this on a cassette tape. I listened to it so much I could probably recite most of it without having heard it in like 10 years.

edit:
I think my favorite is the whole bit about medicine ads.
"Finally we're getting some more Retsin"

Dr_Amazing fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 4, 2010

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Dr_Amazing posted:

Haha I had this on a cassette tape. I listened to it so much I could probably recite most of it without having heard it in like 10 years.

I don't like using other people's showers. I never know the ratios on the dials. Sometimes a sixteenth of an inch is a thousand degrees! Gotta get outta the way of the water...

Jows
May 8, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

I don't like using other people's showers. I never know the ratios on the dials. Sometimes a sixteenth of an inch is a thousand degrees! Gotta get outta the way of the water...

My shower handle is mislabeled. Imagine how much fun that was the first time I showered in my current apartment.

However the first time my girlfriend showered in my current apartment was absolutely hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.
What is mesquite? Wonder if it's made from mosquitoes...