Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Lone Rogue posted:

WCW had their own Top 40

Techno - Alex Wright
Disco - Disco Inferno
Hair Metal - Van Hammer
Latin Hip Hop - Konnan
Loverboy Fan - Lenny Lane
Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla - Chris Jericho
Country - Bobby Duncum Jr., Kendall Windham, Barry Windham and Curt Hennig
Rap - Whoever was in No Limit Soldier. SWOLL.
Post Punk? - The Misfits
Worst poo poo Ever - Insane Clown Posse
Grunge - Raven
Air Guitar - Hollywood Hogan

Disco Inferno belongs in both the disco AND latin hip hop categories

OIL OF OLAY, ALL DAY EVERYDAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Misfits should be "T-Shirt Punk" not "Post Punk?"

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

MassRayPer posted:

The Misfits should be forgotten

EricCrapton
Dec 17, 2009
I THINK ALL WOMEN ARE DUMB BROADS
The rap vs. country battles in WCW were gold. It first established that country music is heel and rap music is face. Then Barry Windham, Curt Hennig and two other guys discovered their inner country roots and formed a country band, so that they could battle some WCW minority wrestlers and random guys from the No Limit Soldiers. And since WCW was still very southern, despite how they tried not to be, I am pretty sure the WTR ended up much more popular than the No Limit guys. Wrestling fans I talk to today still remember the Rap is Crap song, which was way too catchy to be considered heel.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

EricCrapton posted:

The rap vs. country battles in WCW were gold. It first established that country music is heel and rap music is face. Then Barry Windham, Curt Hennig and two other guys discovered their inner country roots and formed a country band, so that they could battle some WCW minority wrestlers and random guys from the No Limit Soldiers. And since WCW was still very southern, despite how they tried not to be, I am pretty sure the WTR ended up much more popular than the No Limit guys. Wrestling fans I talk to today still remember the Rap is Crap song, which was way too catchy to be considered heel.

It played on country music stations.

Truth is, the feud would have been great if WCW was quick enough to see that the No Limit Soldiers looked, acted and felt like a heel stable while the West Texas Rednecks were just plain easy to love. Curt Hennig, a Minnesotean Texan was just too good in the role. Plus they had nobody on No Limit who could compare to him in the ring.

Had Master P been a celebrity heel trying to get under Hennig's nails like Kevin Federline, it wouldn't have been such a loving disaster. Instead, they try to get over some guy name Swoll's heart punch.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I have a little treat for you (if you like Norman Smiley)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw1CW01CNRg

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I like how before the match it has Hogan and flair and like 10 years later both are still wrestling for WCW 2010.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Eventually the two of them will be in adjacent hospital beds, throwing the contents of their bed pans at each other.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

The Misfits without Glenn Danzig should be forgotten.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MrBling posted:

Look how much bigger the iMPACT! Zone looks when you aren't retarded. That actually almost looks like an arena.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The reason the rap vs country feud didn't work was pretty simple. It's hard to be a heel when you're outnumbered 3 to 6+, especially if the 6+ are non-wrestlers who the audience has never heard of. And they like you more than your opponents.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
This weekend's WWE Vintage was a 100th episode spectacular. They played the Bret Hart promo he did on El Dandy, then part of the match he had with Booker T for his US Title.

In case you missed it, Bret Hart doesn't doubt El Dandy, Psychosis or Dean Malenko!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgJgq2t868o

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

Look how much bigger the iMPACT! Zone looks when you aren't retarded. That actually almost looks like an arena.

This is weird.

WCW Worldwide was taped at Universal Studios. WCW Saturday Night was done at the Center Stage Theater, also in front of a papered crowd. The graphic says Saturday Night (although the description says Worldwide, not that it matters.)

But that looks WAY more like the Impact Zone than Center Stage. Maybe WCW changed how they did seating for Saturday Night to look more like a studio when they changed the logos in 99, but that's just odd.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Where's the Center Stage Theater and why is TNA not running there?

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lone Rogue posted:

Master P
In another piece of WCW stupidity, they were rumoured to be paying Master PeePee a ludicrous 1 million per appearance. Why would an audience consisting mostly of white hicks care about a rapper they've never heard of?

Chop Licker
Apr 25, 2005

by mons al-madeen
There's not any way that's true, for the record. Master P wouldn't pull in a million dollars for a two-hour concert at the absolute peak of his popularity. A performance fee of $100,000 would be a serious stretch, I'd probably put him at $65,000 tops even right off of Make 'Em Say Uhhh. To suggest he got ten times that for a recurring gig on a wrestling show is pretty ludicrous.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I think the number for Master P was either 100k or 200k per appearance.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

Where's the Center Stage Theater and why is TNA not running there?

Atlanta or in the nearby suburbs.

As for why, they aren't super strong in Atlanta. BFG did really poorly there in 07, and honestly I wouldn't run a former WCW venue right now.

But with this economy, a theater like that might actually be a decent option for TNA. I'm from Stamford CT and the theaters there (The Rich Forum and the Palace) have been in tough times. So to generate revenue, the Forum made overtures to the Jerry Springer show. Now Stamford is a mecca for trash TV.

If the two buildings were a bit bigger I have no doubts that TNA would already be taping in one of them to stick it to Vince McMahon. The only problem is, they've burned out the two markets where they have offices (Orlando and Nashville) so even if there was a theater hard on its luck there wouldn't really be an economical option to do it. That and while a theater wouldn't mind tapings on weekdays, they probably wouldn't love Sunday PPVs.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Chop Licker posted:

There's not any way that's true, for the record. Master P wouldn't pull in a million dollars for a two-hour concert at the absolute peak of his popularity. A performance fee of $100,000 would be a serious stretch, I'd probably put him at $65,000 tops even right off of Make 'Em Say Uhhh. To suggest he got ten times that for a recurring gig on a wrestling show is pretty ludicrous.

To suggest that it's ludicrous is basically validation that WCW probably did it.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

MrBling posted:

Awesome, thanks for posting this. Hearing the announcer say "The Hardcore Wiggler" and "He went to the wiggle too early!" was worth watching it alone. Heenan was pretty weak on commentary during this match, which is rare. Also - Smiley was on a Superbrawl ppv.. against 3 count?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This week's Observer back issue deals with the end of the Watts era and the events that led to Ross going to the WWF. However, this quote made me laugh the hardest. Oh early 90s.

quote:

In addition, management laid down a new doctrine, aimed at mainly Watts but also Rhodes. There can be no yelling or swearing at employees or overall bombastic behavior within the office, and that executives (ie Watts and Rhodes) can no longer wear jeans, Zubaz pants, sweat pants or t-shirts to work and must wear suits and ties.

I wish I could double bold the Zubaz. I also wish that it was Bill Watts wearing the Zubaz.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Awesome, thanks for posting this. Hearing the announcer say "The Hardcore Wiggler" and "He went to the wiggle too early!" was worth watching it alone. Heenan was pretty weak on commentary during this match, which is rare. Also - Smiley was on a Superbrawl ppv.. against 3 count?

Yeah, SuperBrawl 2000. He was in a handicap against them, but I can't remember why.

MassRayPer posted:

This is weird.

WCW Worldwide was taped at Universal Studios. WCW Saturday Night was done at the Center Stage Theater, also in front of a papered crowd. The graphic says Saturday Night (although the description says Worldwide, not that it matters.)

But that looks WAY more like the Impact Zone than Center Stage. Maybe WCW changed how they did seating for Saturday Night to look more like a studio when they changed the logos in 99, but that's just odd.

Actually that was just me being dumb and calling it Worldwide instead of Saturday Night for some reason.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 3, 2010

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

MassRayPer posted:

This week's Observer back issue deals with the end of the Watts era and the events that led to Ross going to the WWF. However, this quote made me laugh the hardest. Oh early 90s.

I wish I could double bold the Zubaz. I also wish that it was Bill Watts wearing the Zubaz.

They KNEW they were hiring wrestlers to be executives. They must have known what wrestlers consider proper civilian clothes. What the hell?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Neodoomium posted:

They KNEW they were hiring wrestlers to be executives. They must have known what wrestlers consider proper civilian clothes. What the hell?

I believe it was a company that was started by friends of the Road Warriors and they became major investors in it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
We need a thread filled with nothing but great old Observer quotes. Add the Torch too if anyone has those lying around. tOA used to bring up some funny quotes all of the time.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
More or less every thread tangentially related to WCW turns into observer quote-a-thons eventually.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

MrBling posted:

Yeah, SuperBrawl 2000. He was in a handicap against them, but I can't remember why.

The feud was simple and terrible in the way that most shows in the couple of months between Russo booking stints were.

Smiley made Shannon Moore tap out to the Norman Conquest. The next week he faced Evan Karagias and due to Shannon Moores incompetence made him tap out. As a result the victorious Smiley challenged 3 Count to a three on one handicap match at Superbrawl (a match already announced on the Sat night show the weekend past). The next week on nitro Smiley took on all three in a handicap match and made Evan tap out again due to Miss Hancock doing a dance on the stage. At this point the commentators and hype for the match became focused on the fact that Norman had made all three members of 3 Count tap out, despite Shane Helms never having done so.

At the PPV the following Sunday 3 Count won in a match that lasted about 3 minutes. Nobody cared.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Wasn't there something about 3Count holding the hardcore title? Or am I thinking of something else?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Well the very next month 3 Count challenged and beat Brian Knobs for the hardcore champion making all three co-champs. At Uncensored Knobbs pinned all 3 in 4 and a half minutes to once more become sole WCW hardcore champion.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
At least WCW was fun while also being completely nuts, rather than just not making any sense.

I mean, Scott Steiner put all of 3 Count into a single Steiner Recliner at one point as well.

Salt In The Wound
Oct 25, 2005

Hand Jobber Extraordinare

MrBling posted:

Scott Steiner put all of 3 Count into a single Steiner Recliner at one point as well.

I would love to see a pic or vid of these, my quick Youtube search came up short.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Salt In The Wound posted:

I would love to see a pic or vid of these, my quick Youtube search came up short.

Its not 3 Count, but its 3 guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUN-BLanIRg&feature=PlayList&p=7C165210DF70224E&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=37

Salt In The Wound
Oct 25, 2005

:neckbeard: Thank you. Needed more belly-to-belly suplexes though.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Salt In The Wound posted:

Needed more belly-to-belly suplexes though.

This could be applied to literally all aspects of my life.

Salt In The Wound
Oct 25, 2005

oldpainless posted:

This could be applied to literally all aspects of my life.

Me too, me too...

There needs to be something along the lines of :glomp:, but instead of a hug its a suplex

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MrBling posted:

At least WCW was fun while also being completely nuts, rather than just not making any sense.

Here's the problem. Back when it was terrible, nobody called it fun. Then it was gone, and years later watching it is like watching The Room.

Some people want TNA to go out of business so somebody else can take a crack at "Number two supremacy". I don't. There might not be another shot. So enjoy the shittiness of TNA.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt4Um7_U_UM&feature=PlayList&p=7C165210DF70224E&playnext_from=PL&index=38&playnext=2

Is this just the weird editing, or was Scott Steiner whacked out on quaaluides when he taped this.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The American Dream posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt4Um7_U_UM&feature=PlayList&p=7C165210DF70224E&playnext_from=PL&index=38&playnext=2

Is this just the weird editing, or was Scott Steiner whacked out on quaaluides when he taped this.

Most likely whacked on quaaluides.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

The American Dream posted:

he's all whacked out on goofanthol I tell ya hwat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGib
Jan 22, 2010

That was the most amazing thing I've ever seen in my entire life.