Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Man whoever made the Chaos Oblita models and gently caress right off. Never have I seen so many mold lines on one model before. I want more than one oblit in my army but I'll sculpt/scratchbuild the rest because gently caress dealing with these mold lines again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

MaliciousOnion posted:

Can I get some tips on painting OSL? I've got a good idea for this month's Irongob ingredient, but I'm afraid I won't be able to pull it off.

What is it exactly?

It's a pretty easy effect. Just paint whatever hue you want getting darker as you get further from the source. Keep the source really bright and small/sharp. As you get further make the color darken and get "blurrier".

Generally, if you can draw a straight line from the source to any surface, it will have some light hitting it from that source.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Also make sure that there is a dark outline around the source, especially if its eyes/lenses

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax
fix, thanks for the tip about cryla. I tested it on some sprue and it really is the loving best paint on matte I have seen.

I have a question though:

The bottle seems pretty serious about not ingesting the product - how do you go about applying it without putting the brush in your mouth every once in a while?

also if I get too much on the brush is it better to wipe off the excess or can I just put it on a flat part of the model and spread it around like I used to do with the liquitex garbage I was using?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

!amicable posted:

What is it exactly?

It's a pretty easy effect. Just paint whatever hue you want getting darker as you get further from the source. Keep the source really bright and small/sharp. As you get further make the color darken and get "blurrier".

Generally, if you can draw a straight line from the source to any surface, it will have some light hitting it from that source.

Thanks for the advice, PV too. I want to do a welding laser, so the beam would be the source.

What if I want to do OSL on metallic surfaces (not NMM)? Should I just paint solid "light" straight over it, or should I blend it/give it some transparency? Or is this a bad idea?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

MaliciousOnion posted:

Thanks for the advice, PV too. I want to do a welding laser, so the beam would be the source.

What if I want to do OSL on metallic surfaces (not NMM)? Should I just paint solid "light" straight over it, or should I blend it/give it some transparency? Or is this a bad idea?

Thats where it gets difficult man :smith:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You might want to poke around CMONs tutorials for that crazy advanced kinda stuff. More power to you for even considering it- that's more than I'd ever do.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Maybe I should just do the laser without the OSL. At least until I do some practise. Perhaps I'll model some sparks instead.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Aetilus posted:

The bottle seems pretty serious about not ingesting the product - how do you go about applying it without putting the brush in your mouth every once in a while?

Uh, don't put the brush in your mouth?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Aranan posted:

Uh, don't put the brush in your mouth?

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax
but bristles must be kept straight!!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Place the wet brush along the "Line of Heart" on your hand.

Slightly cup your hand.

While gently turning the brush, pull it out of the crease.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
then lick the poo poo out of your hand

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
You two are the best.

On a more serious note, using The Masters brush cleaner and conditioner, you can shape the brush while the soap is still on it. You can leave the soap on there after shaping it, just knock the dust off of it.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

dpack_1 posted:

I have nowhere else to post this so it's going up here.

I just forked out a fair chunk of change for this steampunk weapon.

I dig it.

Captain Invictus posted:

I think the new Wraithlord plastic kit is one of the best they've ever made. No matter how you set it up, it always looks imposing, terrifying, and fantastic.

Cue 30 images of them with boobs, fallen to chaos, etc. to prove me wrong

bhsman posted:

I wonder why...:dong:

Cue Wraithlords with crotch mounted missile launchers :v:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Aetilus posted:

also if I get too much on the brush is it better to wipe off the excess or can I just put it on a flat part of the model and spread it around like I used to do with the liquitex garbage I was using?

Spread it around. Like icing. Delicious, delicious icing.

Seriously, don't ingest it. Just sorta roll it around on your tongue until the room goes all melty, then spit. If your trip starts to go bad, put your nose directly over the bottle and inhale. It's like an e-brake for your brain, where "e" means "everyday."

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

MaliciousOnion posted:

Place the wet brush along the "Line of Heart" on your hand.

Slightly cup your hand.

While gently turning the brush, pull it out of the crease.

Woah! This just blew my mind. I've been doing this thinking it was my thing. I am now sadly mistaken. :cry:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
What's the best way to paint Eldar vehicle canopies ? I'm thinking some Daler-Rowney art masking fluid on the front and tape on the back, then undercoat as normal.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

What's the best way to paint Eldar vehicle canopies ? I'm thinking some Daler-Rowney art masking fluid on the front and tape on the back, then undercoat as normal.

Honestly I can't stand the pilot model, so I was going to just prime over it and find some glass-looking recipe or paint the canopy like some great light blue gem. If you want it to remain clear, why not go with gesso?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
This one's for a War Walker so opaque's probably not going to work. And I am a fat-handed twat, I'd rather err towards putting masking fluid in the wrong place rather than paint.

If they gave us a way to get spare canopies it wouldn't be such a problem.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I'd just say gently caress it and paint it without priming.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'd just say gently caress it and paint it without priming.

This is pretty much the only way to go. I guess if youre really good at cutting mask you can mask the interior parts, but mask always seems to bleed somewhere.

If youre worried about paint not sticking well, maybe "prime" it with astronomicon grey or another foundation paint first

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Would roughing it up a little bit with a file help the adhesion of the paint at all?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

enri posted:

Would roughing it up a little bit with a file help the adhesion of the paint at all?

I believe this works, yes.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

When cutting plasticard how do you make sure you're cutting at right angles?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

When cutting plasticard how do you make sure you're cutting at right angles?

A small t-square or metal angle thingy, I guess? I dunno I only used plasticard on my orks :cool:

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax

Fix posted:

Spread it around. Like icing. Delicious, delicious icing.

Seriously, don't ingest it. Just sorta roll it around on your tongue until the room goes all melty, then spit. If your trip starts to go bad, put your nose directly over the bottle and inhale. It's like an e-brake for your brain, where "e" means "everyday."

speaking of which, does anyone else have serious fears that they will be found dead in their chair from glue inhalation with their fingers and a bunch of bitz stuck to their face?

i ventilate (open window+fan), but after a 3 hour building session it gets to me.

/ham substance abuse chat.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

How the gently caress are you people applying glue? A loving hosepipe? I sit & play construct for ages without getting barely a whiff of fumes.

MSP, get a small engineers set square. You can use a plastic stationary right-angle thingammy but I find metal tools are invaluable.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Kicker spray sets my allergies off, so assembling is a fun time of sitting in a chair covered in plastic shavings and cheetoh dust, dripping clear snot from my face

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
last time I primed and last time I was gluing stuff together it felt like I'd pulled out my lungs and scraped them against asphalt. Gonna start wearing my mask when I prime from now on, as for the gluing, I've got no idea how that happened, I was in a well ventilated room. I did however spend 4 hours or so gluing stuff :iiam:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Wearing a real painting mask while priming or airbrushing is an absolute necessity. I try not to think about how much damage I did to myself before I got one.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Fyrbrand posted:

Wearing a real painting mask while priming or airbrushing is an absolute necessity. I try not to think about how much damage I did to myself before I got one.

I've worn masks while undercoating for years, and to be honest, I wouldn't want to go back to doing either of those things without a painting booth as well.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I can only picture you guys priming and gluing while inside tiny closets with no ventilation. A bare 30W bulb dangling from wires from the ceiling and the faint strip of sunlight peeking in from beneath the door are your only sources of illumination. The winter coats are shoved to the side and roughly covered in a protective layer of wrapping paper that you found while cleaning out a space for your chair.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Aranan posted:

I can only picture you guys priming and gluing while inside tiny closets with no ventilation. A bare 30W bulb dangling from wires from the ceiling and the faint strip of sunlight peeking in from beneath the door are your only sources of illumination. The winter coats are shoved to the side and roughly covered in a protective layer of wrapping paper that you found while cleaning out a space for your chair.

I do all of it in my garage with the door open and I wear a doctor's mask so I guess I'm not too worried.

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology

Aranan posted:

THIS, this is me :downs:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I think I started wearing masks when GW first released their undercoat spray. I used the masks like er... twice... then kinda just gave up using them.

I also smoke.

So yea, my lungs are probably blacker than satan's armpits.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.
I thought you guys might like to see some of these if you haven't already. I know it's on a completely different scale, but what would it take to make something like that?

Has anyone ever done any filming with tabletop miniatures? Seems like a bunch of the ones I've seen in this thread are as good or better than the ones in the link, at least as far as detail goes.

landis fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 4, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Im in the wrong business, apparently

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PaintVagrant posted:

Im in the wrong business, apparently

Warham nerds have less money to spend on warhams than trek nerds have to spend on treks because warham nerds buy warhams all day long.

Edit: Ha. I just got a "abandoned property" letter from Bank of America about an old 401k/IRA account I thought I had closed/transferred years ago that's been just sitting there racking up interest for about a decade. To ham, or not to ham?

Fix fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
PV, you are in the right business. Studio models like those have been replaced by CG (obviously). Believe me, my dreams were crushed by films switching to CG. Though I must admit GOOD CG models can fool me sometimes.

I wish I had the money to afford at least one of those studio miniatures when that Christies Auction was going on :sigh:

• Locked thread