Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Fix posted:

Warham nerds have less money to spend on warhams than trek nerds have to spend on treks because warham nerds buy warhams all day long.

Edit: Ha. I just got a "abandoned property" letter from Bank of America about an old 401k/IRA account I thought I had closed/transferred years ago that's been just sitting there racking up interest for about a decade. To ham, or not to ham?

FOR THE HAMPEROR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fix posted:

Edit: Ha. I just got a "abandoned property" letter from Bank of America about an old 401k/IRA account I thought I had closed/transferred years ago that's been just sitting there racking up interest for about a decade. To ham, or not to ham?

HAM IT! You know you wanna.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

NecronSchmecron posted:

PV, you are in the right business. Studio models like those have been replaced by CG (obviously). Believe me, my dreams were crushed by films switching to CG. Though I must admit GOOD CG models can fool me sometimes.

I wish I had the money to afford at least one of those studio miniatures when that Christies Auction was going on :sigh:

I think the switch to CG is an overall loss for film, myself. Included is the lack of practical special effects.

Not that this is on topic in the least, but studio models are loving awesome.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

I work on stop-motion feature films, there is still very much a tiny niche for ham painters in the puppet and art departments. Y'know, if you don't mind painting the same character face several thousand times.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Monoliths posted:

FOR THE HAMPEROR.

Hahaha. Nah. Kid's got to go to college.

Doesn't have to be the best one though, I suppose. :pseudo:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
LOTR, which had the best warham-like special effects, had a TON of handmade models and stuff.

But yeah hollywood is all CG, the bastards

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fix posted:

Tell him to go to a community college and get a student loan. Toys must come first. Plus isn't your wife still on deployment or something? She can't stop you if she ain't there.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Angryboot posted:

Tell him to go to a community college and get a student loan. Toys must come first. Plus isn't your wife still on deployment or something? She can't stop you if she ain't there.

No, we got retarded lucky and her deployment was pulled at the last minute. She's getting out in a couple months and we get to be regular civilians again. Finally. :)

/#fixchat

vvvv: Thanks! Nah, she does. I'm not going to play that little game.

Also, those are fantastic.

Fix fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 4, 2010

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh no kidding, grats man.

so uh, she doesn't know about the account or anything right?

FILTHY WOOD XENO!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Angryboot posted:

Oh no kidding, grats man.

so uh, she doesn't know about the account or anything right?

FILTHY WOOD XENO!

You know I just ran across some pic of your SH dudes from awhile back, and I was hoping we'd see new stuff from you. The red on those dudes is baller as hell.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thanks man, now that I'm done with my stupid wood sculpture project for school I can finally finish painting my dudes again. My livingroom's been covered by layers of saw dust for like a week. Like I said in IRC, gently caress sculpting wood.

That red's black primer and then 4 layers of mechrite and 4 layers of blood red. I tried white but I couldn't get that deep shade so I had to strip and switch back to the painfulness.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

PaintVagrant posted:

LOTR, which had the best warham-like special effects, had a TON of handmade models and stuff.

But yeah hollywood is all CG, the bastards

Very true. Peter Jackson knows how to make a film look good though, even with CG.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Angryboot posted:

Thanks man, now that I'm done with my stupid wood sculpture project for school I can finally finish painting my dudes again. My livingroom's been covered by layers of saw dust for like a week. Like I said in IRC, gently caress sculpting wood.

This quote + a picture of that ducky is awesome.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Angryboot posted:

That red's black primer and then 4 layers of mechrite and 4 layers of blood red. I tried white but I couldn't get that deep shade so I had to strip and switch back to the painfulness.

Wow, these are crisp as hell! Did you do any highlighting up to the blazing orange? if that is B/O on the edges?

\/\/\/\/\/\/ Ahhh to get 'whiter' edges, thats pretty cool.

Tentacle Party fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 5, 2010

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the ducky was an experiment, not the actual sculpture that covered my livingroom and deposited itself in my eyeballs, ears, and nose holes. Like I said before, gently caress sculpting wood. Ugh.

For highlighting that one I went with GW's recipe which is blazing orange then vomit brown. Pretty sure there are all kinds of ways to make red pop but I'm lazy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There are like a kajillion tutorials on how to paint treads online. Think I'm going with the following:

black basecoat
Paint Boltgun
Wash scorched earth
spots of Macharius orange wash
drybrush boltgun

Seems reasonable? I have 5 rhino sets to do so I thought I'd get them done in 1 go.

Also, coming soon: Cakefool tries airbrushing colour modulation - Red to Black - on some tanks, hilarious action shots to follow.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fix posted:

Doesn't have to be the best one though, I suppose. :pseudo:

My cousin spent four years and over 250 grand only to be one of the thousands of wandering aimless jobless graduates, winding up working at a restaurant because there's absolutely nobody hiring.

What I'm trying to say is, screw college, ham ham ham.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Cakefool posted:

There are like a kajillion tutorials on how to paint treads online. Think I'm going with the following:

black basecoat
Paint Boltgun
Wash scorched earth
spots of Macharius orange wash
drybrush boltgun

Seems reasonable? I have 5 rhino sets to do so I thought I'd get them done in 1 go.

Also, coming soon: Cakefool tries airbrushing colour modulation - Red to Black - on some tanks, hilarious action shots to follow.

You can get pretty much the same results if you just basecoat Tin Bitz, drybrush Boltgun Metal, and wash with Badab Black or Black Ink.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Basecoat brown, drybrush boltgun.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I just paint my treads boltgun and HEAVILY wash with badab. But then again, I paint my stuff clean with no weathering or (much) damage.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Hey guys, any thoughts on GF9's hobby pinning kit?

The pinvise has a ball handle, otherwise it looks pretty similar to most pin vices.

Also, the harbor freight mini drill, anyone use that?

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 5, 2010

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

PaintVagrant posted:

Hey guys, any thoughts on GF9's hobby pinning kit?

The pinvise has a ball handle, otherwise it looks pretty similar to most pin vices.

I've got one, I wanted to say it's a bit poor but having looked it out I can't remember why. To be honest I think it probably wasn't suited to one specific pin and then I forgot about it.

Worth trying out, even if you don't like the vice you'll get some decent pinning rod out of it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Another question for you guys: what thicknesses of plasticard do you typically use when building/converting?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I have the GF9 vise. It's pretty decent, but I don't have anything to compare it to. I wish it held my 1/8" drill bits I use for :science:magnets:science: but I get the impression most pin vises won't.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I've got one, I wanted to say it's a bit poor but having looked it out I can't remember why. To be honest I think it probably wasn't suited to one specific pin and then I forgot about it.

Worth trying out, even if you don't like the vice you'll get some decent pinning rod out of it.

Special rod for pinning seems a bit excessive. I just use a spool of 18GA galvanized steel wire which fits the GW hobby drill hole snugly.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

PaintVagrant posted:

Another question for you guys: what thicknesses of plasticard do you typically use when building/converting?

I have a stack of various thicknesses, as well as various tubes and bars and stuff.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

PaintVagrant posted:

.5mm, 1mm and 1.5mm are the most useful for flat sheets. You can always double up for thicker parts.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Fyrbrand posted:

I have the GF9 vise. It's pretty decent, but I don't have anything to compare it to. I wish it held my 1/8" drill bits I use for :science:magnets:science: but I get the impression most pin vises won't.

Came here to say this. Ended up buying some pin vice on ebay for $2 shipped for 1/8" bits, which I need for magnetizing work. Now I just gotta find my 3/16" bit so I can start magnetizing my carnifexes.

Speaking of carnifexes, which color scheme should I go for for my nids? I'm torn between bleached bone / devlan mud wash skin with a significantly darker khaki/brown carapace, and a glossy black "xenomorph" type color scheme with a colored carapace.

Basically this with the standard bleached bone skin instead of the ugly orange, or:

this without the brown striping or the purple stuff, but with other colors instead.

vvv: Fyrbrand - the sale was longer than 60 days ago so I can't find it, just search like 1/8" pin vice or whatever

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 5, 2010

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Phyresis posted:

Came here to say this. Ended up buying some pin vice on ebay for $2 shipped for 1/8" bits, which I need for magnetizing work. Now I just gotta find my 3/16" bit so I can start magnetizing my carnifexes.

poo poo why didn't I think to check ebay? Got a link to the seller handy?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Phyresis posted:

Basically this with the standard bleached bone skin instead of the ugly orange

Orange looks awesome

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

0.5, (a little 0.75,) 1.0mm. I have some 2mm but I use it so rarely. I also started using a lot more 0.25mm for surface details, icons, eagles & the like.

Also, pinning with 1mm brass rod = 72 times easier than with bits of paperclip.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Phyresis posted:

This is a GREAT color scheme. I may do something similar with my Space Hulk nids.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Phyresis posted:

Basically this with the standard bleached bone skin instead of the ugly orange,

The orange rocks as other people have said, but if you're going for a brown + bone color scheme I suggest painting the vents/muscles/whatever a high-saturation contrasting color.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I've been pondering today about how I could use a Harry the Hammer model in a 40K Chaos army. Maybe a conversion or something? Leave it alone for fantasy?

Any ideas goons?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Phyresis posted:

hive fleet mac & cheese

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

TheKingslayer posted:

I've been pondering today about how I could use a Harry the Hammer model in a 40K Chaos army. Maybe a conversion or something? Leave it alone for fantasy?

Any ideas goons?

Use him as a lord with a daemon weapon? Alternatively, use the Space Wolf codex and run him as a Battle Leader or Wolf Lord with a Storm Shield and Frost Weapon. :c00l:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

My resin & RTV turned up oh yeahhhhhh :pervert:

Still got no Aves Apoxie sculpt though :argh:

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

It's been awhile, but I finished another one. See you again when the mood strikes.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
e: /\/\/\ That sword must be heavy.

Manifest posted:

This is a GREAT color scheme. I may do something similar with my Space Hulk nids.

I haven't painted my Space Hulk models either, simply because I can't decide on a scheme for the 'nids. I've been considering using mica or some of that interference paint on their carapaces. Has anyone done something similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

rzal posted:

"Anyone seen my friend Kyle? He's about this tall? Seen Kyle? Seen Kyle?"

if you don't get it, try raising your right hand upwards and say "seen Kyle" a lot.

• Locked thread