Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

scapulataf posted:

What am I missing here?

It's probably a G60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

meatpimp posted:

It's probably a G60.

A friend of mine bought one in college, promptly realized the money sink it was to keep it running, tried to sell it and blew the engine up on the first test drive with a potential buyer.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

meatpimp posted:

It's probably a G60.

I don't know my superior german vehicles very well, but I'll assume some sort of body kit or cosmetic work to make it look like something its not.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

scapulataf posted:

I don't know my superior german vehicles very well, but I'll assume some sort of body kit or cosmetic work to make it look like something its not.

G60 is an engine code for the supercharged version. The G stands for 'grenade'.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

I HATE CARS posted:

G60 is an engine code for the supercharged version. The G stands for 'grenade'.

Ahh, now I think I've figured it out, the engine is a mechanical failure because of the tendency for the engines to blow.
Now I get it. It didn't help that I thought I was in the "you put what on your car" thread.

Problem solved.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
I'm surprised nobody has posted this...

It was made by Hyundai! :fsmug:

Vaya con Dios!!!
Aug 14, 2006

Sponge! posted:

I'm surprised nobody has posted this...

It was made by Hyundai! :fsmug:

gently caress, I went through page after page to post that... so:

Mine is more :black101:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
jesus christ. every picture I see of that fire reminds me more and more of some horrible Michael Bay movie.

And we're all in it.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Coasterphreak posted:

jesus christ. every picture I see of that fire reminds me more and more of some horrible Michael Bay movie.

And we're all in it.

The only way the movie would be better is if it was in space... you know, since there are always huge FIREBALLS in space...

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Sponge! posted:

Even still, try sending a consist of turbine-elec units through the average north american loading gauge tunnel and watch as everything behind the first one flames out and dies...

Hah...that's a good point, I never thought about that.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

TheShedDweller posted:

I guess what I meant to say is, like a Miller cycle engine it uses constant pressure forced induction. Only on a 2 stroke diesel rather than a Otto cycle. But unlike most 2 stroke motors, they have exhaust valves at the top of the combustion chamber instead of ports to help increase compression. A guy I knew who worked as a diesel mechanic explained it to me like this...

At the bottom of the compression stroke the forced induction system pushes air through the cylinder with the exhaust valves open, forcing out any leftover exhaust from the previous cycle. The compression stroke takes place. The exhaust valves close as the upward moving piston reaches the intake port. The piston compresses the intake charge. At or around TDC the injector sprays fuel into the combustion chamber, Bang! As the downward moving piston passes the intake port on the combustion stroke the exhaust valves open. Then the pressure from the turbo/supercharger pushes the exhaust gasses out of the cylinder.

At least that is how it was explained to me, let me know if I got any of that wrong.

What you are describing is a two stroke cycle, the Miller is a modified Otto cycle. It has the typical four strokes; suck, squish, bang, blow. The squish part is modified in that the intake valve stays open during the first quarter of the stroke, allowing the supercharger to compress the charge. This is sometimes called the fifth stroke.

The two-stroke diesel engine also requires a supercharger, most famously in the 6-71 Screamin' Jimmy. They are two stroke as you describe, a bang/suck/blow stroke, and a compression stroke.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I hope that oil rig has Hyundai's famous warranty!

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

meatpimp posted:

It's probably a G60.

At one of the last big mr2 meets I went to, there was someones friend driving a vr6 corrado that he had turbo'd. We were all giving him poo poo about how long till his car broke down. Well 3 mr2's had issues, including mine snapping its throttle cable, and the corrado was there to help out, seeing as he had a poo poo ton of tools in his car. I think he was more surprised than anyone else that he didn't have any issues with his car.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Two Finger posted:

I don't have a picture, just a story.
My engineering teacher was telling me about when she was a cadet a loooong time ago working on a cruise ship out of America. She was on watch and the turbo for #4 engine was making a really strange high pitched whine, completely different to the other turbos. She figured given that she had no idea what it was, she'd shut the engine down and look into it. No sooner had she walked towards the fuel cutoff, than the loving crankshaft blew out the side of the block landing EXACTLY where she had been standing seconds before. Apparently one of the oil lines had become blocked, the crank had massively overheated and half of it had seized while the other half went exploring.

I bet two things happened to her after this:

She pissed herself.

Any doubts about the existence of God were removed from her mind.

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*

D: My poor old Corolla. I guess it's a mechanical failure.. if by mechanical I mean "those liquid-carrying semi trucks" and failure I mean "caused me to lose control and it ran over the front of my car". It was not a good night for me. But hey! It still drove to the side of the road before another semi hit me, so.... huzzuh?
e: the driver of the semi had the audacity to tell me, "You bent a couple o' my rims!!" "Oh yeah? You BENT HALF OF MY CAR." dick.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

huskyjackal posted:

D: My poor old Corolla. I guess it's a mechanical failure.. if by mechanical I mean "those liquid-carrying semi trucks" and failure I mean "caused me to lose control and it ran over the front of my car". It was not a good night for me. But hey! It still drove to the side of the road before another semi hit me, so.... huzzuh?
e: the driver of the semi had the audacity to tell me, "You bent a couple o' my rims!!" "Oh yeah? You BENT HALF OF MY CAR." dick.

Already I can feel my rage rising.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

huskyjackal posted:

Aren't most semi/car accidents caused by the car? And how does a semi-truck cause you to lose control?

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Yes please tell us how this wasn't completely your fault.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

huskyjackal posted:

"caused me to lose control"

Generally the use of this phrase means your driving wrote a check that your driving skill couldn't cash.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Landerig posted:

I bet two things happened to her after this:

She pissed herself.

Any doubts about the existence of God were removed from her mind.

Yeah, I've asked her for photos. All her stuff is currently on a container coming to NZ from the UK so could be a while, but once it arrives all sorts of ship-related mechanical failures will be uploaded.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

huskyjackal posted:

the driver of the semi had the audacity to tell me, "You bent a couple o' my rims!!" "Oh yeah? You BENT HALF OF MY CAR." dick.

Please go on, you can't just leave a story hanging like that. I'd really like to know how a semi made you lose control.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

huskyjackal posted:

You are going to have to explain this further. Semis don't usually jump out at you; rig jockies aren't exactly mobile and tend to be very good about staying in their own lanes.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Boat posted:

I'd certainly read it, but I don't know of any words for trains that start with "A."
so far we've got Automotive, Aeronautic, Aquatic...?

Amtrak

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

frozenphil posted:

Amtrak

Automotive Insanity > Post Pictures of Horrible Mechanical Failures > Amtrak

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

blankooie posted:

Automotive Insanity > Post Pictures of Horrible Mechanical Failures > Amtrak

:xd:

Dave Inc. posted:

Aren't most semi/car accidents caused by the car? And how does a semi-truck cause you to lose control?

Almost 80% are the fault of the smaller car. I wouldn't be surprised if next on the list was lovely roads/weather. I've had lane changes due to wind, or my axles grabbing a rut in road construction.

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*
Ok, first--you are ALL correct when you say "this bitch can't drive worth a drat"--I can't, couldn't, and since that happened made a point to re-evaluate and reassess my skills.. so I bought a manual and stopped driving automatics as a start*. I'm not gonna lie and say I'm more skilled but I'm definitely more alert.
I had cruise control on at 75 in a 70 zone on 65N, was passing a semi when we went about a curve and the rear end of the semi slid into my lane and I panicked. I'm told I spun a few times and ultimately my front end went smash under the semi's rear tires. Trucker who was behind me and saw the whole thing claims the semi had taken the turn too fast (he was in right lane, me passing on the left) for his load and the load had swung the rear of his vehicle into my lane/almost into my car and that's when my SUPAR SAVER driving skills allowed me to intelligently swerve without thought instead of, oh, say braking or performing a smarter driving maneuver. I simply hadn't been paying enough attention and bam, got whacked for it. I recall looking for his blinker to warn me he was going in my lane but he didn't use one and his claim was "a deer got on the road so I swerved to avoid it" and my only response was "..you didn't check to see if you were going to swerve into a CAR instead?"

Not very dramatic or anything, simple case of "bitch can't drive, pay more loving attention to your surroundings."

* driving a manual is obviously not a "fix" for stupidity, but teaching myself to drive it has also made me much more alert as a whole and more aware of my car and as a result my surroundings--no more time to fiddle with CDs, cell phone, radio and other nonsense like the rest of america's drivers. :downswords:

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
I'm still confused at how this is in any way some kind of mechanical failure.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Valt posted:

I'm pretty sure Toyota Corollas are supposed to bear the weight of a loaded 53 foot trailer on the front end.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

trouser chili posted:

I'm pretty sure Toyota Corollas are supposed to bear the weight of a loaded 53 foot trailer on the front end.

I'm eagerly awaiting the results of today's Congressional hearing on the matter.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

Valt posted:

Obviously, it was another case of Toyota unintended acceleration into the semi's rear tardbar. I am tweeting CNN's Rick Sanchez to alert the public at large.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Obviously, it was another case of Toyota unintended acceleration into the semi's rear tardbar. I am tweeting CNN's Rick Sanchez to alert the public at large.

Tardbar.

I'm gonna have to use that.

Cheap Bourbon
Apr 13, 2010

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Alert Brian Ross @ ABC so he can fake display his tests for the next week.

Froderick
Aug 15, 2007

You don't box in a vet.

anonumos posted:

rig jockies aren't exactly mobile and tend to be very good about staying in their own lanes.

In North/South Carolina, on 65/70 mph 2-lane roads, trucks will swerve in front of you in a heartbeat. This happens to me daily on I77 and I85 but only on the 2-lane stretches.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cheap Bourbon posted:

Alert Brian Ross @ ABC so he can fake display his tests for the next week.

And get the automotive instructor from SIUC to wire up the test car so he can simulate a semi impact by slipping two wires together.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

anonumos posted:

You are going to have to explain this further. Semis don't usually jump out at you; rig jockies aren't exactly mobile and tend to be very good about staying in their own lanes.

I knew a driver who was hauling a double, a 45' with a 28' pup trailer on the back, and had it jump out... and then it kept going. The wind caught it, the pup wasn't fully loaded so it lifted and gained enough momentum to yank the big trailer sideways and he went flying like something from 'Twister'. He said he felt the truck shake, looked in his mirror and saw the pup as it was drifting across the left lane. He had enough time to think "Oh sh" before the maiden flight of his experimental aircraft.

Another driver I knew was pulling 2 28' trailers and half of the roof from the back trailer sheared off at some point. He didn't even know until he got to his destination and some lucky unloaders got a skylight for a bit. There were pictures floating around but I broke the phone they were on long ago.

DELETED fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 5, 2010

Lowe9
Jul 31, 2005

anonumos posted:

On the 401 between Toronto and Montreal, truckers love to quickly flash the blinker once while hauling their rig into the next lane as fast as possible; ignoring the fact that your driving along side them, expecting you to jam the brake or take the shoulder.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Lowe9 posted:

On the 401 between Toronto and Montreal, truckers love to quickly flash the blinker once while hauling their rig into the next lane as fast as possible; ignoring the fact that your driving along side them, expecting you to jam the brake or take the shoulder.

Don't drive in a truck's blind spot. It's like the most dangerous place on the highway, don't be there.

Personally, I've never seen a trucker do something dangerous on the road, but I've seen plenty of car drivers do crazy poo poo around trucks. There was a guy at my old office though that said he saw truckers loving things up all the time, but I think he was just crazy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

hatefulsquid posted:

I thought you guys might appreciate this. This is an oil-rigger's blog site, with some pretty technical in-depth discussions about what happened to the deepwater horizon and why:

http://www.drillingahead.com/forum/topics/transocean-deepwater-horizon-1

Be sure to read the comments after the main article.

And this link is a clip from a radio show where one of the guys that was on the rig that day called in to try to clear some stuff up.
http://www.marklevinshow.com/Article.asp?id=1790422&spid=32364

The tl:dr of it, though, is that the disaster almost certainly had nothing at all to do with the actual ship. Several things had to have gone wrong, but all of those things would be in the bore, the safety devices at the top of the bore (the sea floor), and the operation of the riser (the big neutrally-bouyant pipe between the sea floor and the floating rig).

Essentially, the very very deep oil field is under tremendous pressure. It's necessary to balance the pressure coming up from below, with pressure down the riser and well from above, so that various operations can be performed. In this case they had just plugged the well with concrete and were setting a second (redundant) plug above that, when a severe runaway overpressure occurred (exactly why and how is not yet known) and all of the failsafes designed to prevent gas from bursting up the riser failed (for a variety of possible reasons).

So Hyundai isn't at fault here. Possibly halliburton is, or BP, or some other contractor, or (most likely) a combination of factors that include operational error, poor planning, and physical failure of equipment.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Speaking from experience, its sometimes hard for ne to keep my work cube van in its lane in cross winds. Even worse driving the "bus" with trailer on the back.
I can't imagine how hard it is for a truck with a 53' trailer on the back to do the same.
That being said, I got cut off by a truck driver today, and I wasn't in his blind spot. Coming from the 400 south to 401 west, coming on to the 401 west, I check and moved over,this trucker guy moved over in front of me. There was nobody behind me, or in the lanes beside me, moved over again, and went to pass trucker man, who then decided to cut over on me and I had to slam on the brakes.
I know that highway well, and the lane he was in didn't end for a couple km, nobody behind me for several hundred meters and nobody beside me, but this guy had to get over RIGHT NOW!!

For the truckers on here, I know it ain't easy, you guys work long hours, jacked up on speed and caffiene pills to make your deliveries on time, and there are more cars doing stupid poo poo around trucks than there are trucks doing stupid poo poo around cars but some guys drive like douche bags. Truck or car drivers.

Now back to talking about mechanical failures I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

Dave Inc. posted:

Don't drive in a truck's blind spot. It's like the most dangerous place on the highway, don't be there.

Personally, I've never seen a trucker do something dangerous on the road, but I've seen plenty of car drivers do crazy poo poo around trucks. There was a guy at my old office though that said he saw truckers loving things up all the time, but I think he was just crazy.

I once saw a truck force a minivan to slam on its brakes on and slide full stop onto the shoulder as he muscled his way into the left lane in front of it. Nevermind on that section of the interstate trucks aren't allowed in either of the left two lanes.

On the other hand, I see cars doing stupid poo poo daily. Generally trucks just sit over in the right lane and don't bother anyone. The only problem I've ever had with one was a mechanical failure on the way to Miami. A truck in the next lane slightly ahead of me blew a retread; I had nowhere to go and as I ran over it it ripped the rhino guard off the underside of my engine and broke out the bottom grill on one side of my front end.