Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Oh. Makes sense why they're only moving forward with the DVD rips of the series, if said up-scaling is of any indication.

edit: gently caress, new page.

Speaking of all that new browser game business of late, I recently came upon this LoGH mod for Sins of a Solar Empire. It looks like the mod team released a beta in January, wonder if it's any good? I'll bet that it's already been discussed here though.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006

Cross-Section posted:

Why does Yang have brown hair

I think this is just a weird coloring mistake in those couple scenes right? Doesn't it go back to normal in his later scenes? It might be a relic of the books and manga designs since the OVA is pretty consistently blue while Golden Wings may have the brown hair? I haven't seen them recently though so I can't say for sure.

Even with the upscaling the Blu Ray rips that I have seen are really good looking, when compared against the DVD rips that CA has done, and since they probably aren't going to remaster them, it is the best that this show will ever look. The only strange thing is that whenever I see this show in better quality than the laserdisc versions, the lips and the lip movement seems to really stand out as strange looking for me in a way that I never noticed when I was watching the original laserdisc rips.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Zorak posted:

It's upscaled.

Nope! The series is, the movies aren't.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

AzraelNewtype posted:

Nope! The series is, the movies aren't.

Ok, the detail is deliberately vague in areas that downscaling would make it look better in

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
BAD NEWS: We didn't watch it, since he didn't get a chance to screen it first :ohdear:

GOOD NEWS: He plans on watching it himself tomorrow since he's extremely interested, and plans on emailing me his thoughts/ about the stuff if he continues on :woop:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zorak posted:

BAD NEWS: We didn't watch it, since he didn't get a chance to screen it first :ohdear:

GOOD NEWS: He plans on watching it himself tomorrow since he's extremely interested, and plans on emailing me his thoughts/ about the stuff if he continues on :woop:

Reminds me of when I gave a copy of the MST3k ep "parts: the clonus horror" to my philosophy prof since he had us watch the island in class and that was ripped off directly from the lovely 1970s flick :P

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

DamnGlitch posted:

Reminds me of when I gave a copy of the MST3k ep "parts: the clonus horror" to my philosophy prof since he had us watch the island in class and that was ripped off directly from the lovely 1970s flick :P

"I'm on Biography!"

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

About the main series, am I the only one who felt really bad for Lebello?

The man wasn't a saint in life or politics but he tried to make things work and took the chairman's position when nobody else wanted it. And when there's finally a decent man in the chair nobody else of talent and worth is willing to even give him the time of day, they're just enjoying their quiet retirement while things go to hell around them. I didn't feel joy seeing him put through the humiliation conga during Yang's escape, I just wished it was someone more deserving of that treatment.

Then during the second invasion he has a breakdown and he still keeps the top job because nobody else wants it. He sobers up just in time to get an ad-hoc firing-squad, and is only shown one last time lying in state.

I dunno. He didn't do everything right but he tried when no one else was willing to, despite the Alliance being pretty much a lost cause by that point. Better than Sidney "gently caress all y'all I'm outta here" Sitolet anyway.

But maybe that's just the Poli Sci major in me.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
No, I think you were supposed to feel bad about it. As whatshisface said in LOGH, in a more fair/ good environment, the pair of Yang and Lebello would have made a fair and strong government. However, they both had a different opinion on how to save democracy. Lebello thought by sustaining the last institution of democracy in the fact of oppression, he could save democracy for the future. However, in the act of doing so, he was willing to violate the principles of democracy, violating the rights of one to save the rights of many. He wasn't doing it out of greed, just to protect the thing he believed in. However, Yang thought that it was better to let the system crumble and try to start democracy all over again in an attempt to save it.

Take note that Reinhard never said any bad words about the guy; he did what he could to save the thing he believed in. He died for it.

Gary Mitchell
Apr 3, 2007

Morals are for men, not gods.
I was bored yesterday and decided to drop myself in the middle of the series somewhere and enjoy some good ol' LoGH without starting at the beginning. Except I picked somewhere in the mid 30's and got 5 straight episodes of NOTHING HAPPENING. Although I know a lot more about the palace on Odin (I'm not going to look up the spelling :eng99: ).

The episode titles are mostly vague to me because I always ignored them for spoiler's-sake. Which episodes kick off the good poo poo?

Gary Mitchell fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 16, 2010

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Gary Mitchell posted:

I was bored yesterday and decided to drop myself in the middle of the series somewhere and enjoy some good ol' LoGH without starting at the beginning. Except I picked somewhere in the mid 30's and got 5 straight episodes of NOTHING HAPPENING. Although I know a lot more about the palace on Odin (I'm not going to look up the spelling :eng99: ).

The episode titles are mostly vague to me because I always ignored them for spoiler's-sake. Which episodes kick off the good poo poo?

This is a terrible idea and you are a terrible monster for doing it.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006

Gary Mitchell posted:

Have you seen the gaidens? Go watch those if you need a fix.

Dawning Horror
Jun 18, 2009

AzraelNewtype posted:

This is a terrible idea and you are a terrible monster for doing it.

He's the guy who did the Let's Watch in TVIV, so he's seen it before. Episode 50 is about where poo poo gets real.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Gary Mitchell posted:

What the hell just start the series at the beginning it's in the middle of a battle.

But if you are watching this series just for fighting, go and watch bleach or some poo poo you are barking up the wrong tree.

AS for the guy who recommended watching the gaidens... I disagree, I found those especially boring and drawn out. I haven't seen them all mind you (cant figure out what the gently caress order they are in...) but what happens in them is like super drawn out and the animation style bugs me. I can't remember an episode that bored me out of the original series.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Luke Johnson posted:

He's the guy who did the Let's Watch in TVIV, so he's seen it before. Episode 50 is about where poo poo gets real.
Just like to quote this again, in case it wasn't obvious from his post that he's seen the show before.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
The fact that he's seen it before doesn't make it less terrible.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

AzraelNewtype posted:

The fact that he's seen it before doesn't make it less terrible.

After seeing that was the case, I almost edited my post. But then I was like, "gently caress that, all of galactic heroes is awesome."

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

DamnGlitch posted:

But then I was like, "gently caress that, all of galactic heroes is awesome."

This was my thought too. I can basically load any LOGH episode and it rules.

Gary Mitchell
Apr 3, 2007

Morals are for men, not gods.
Yeah, seriously I pretty much have the whole show down pretty well, just not in any sort of order. And it's been the case where I've started the series with multiple people, and I just don't want to watch any of season one.

But I stared at the episode guide and found myself some good starting points.

quote:

What the hell just start the series at the beginning it's in the middle of a battle.
Intrigue, excitement, anything! But it's okay now, Lebello is in a bit of a bind....

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
im watching the first gaiden, and im having a really hard time downloading them seeing about all the torrents on CA are dead/dieing... (1 kb/s on s3e2...)
seed you bastards :(

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006
Tytania just got licensed
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-05-21/section23-adds-sola-shigofumi-tytania-anime

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Okay, it's being released as a DVD collection, but will they be making any more of it? Tytania seemed underwhelming in every single way compared to LoGH.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
The best part of Tytania was in the first episode when they rolled up into court and just hosed that dude up.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tytania was the biggest waste of buildup with the least payoff since the Wheel of Time. I mean I enjoyed it for what it was, but the one season we got should've been the intro to a series of LOGH length. It constantly felt like it was just on the verge of going somewhere but it never did.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 22, 2010

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Tytania was the biggest waste of buildup with the least payoff since the Wheel of Time. I mean I enjoyed it for what it was, but the one season we got should've been the intro to a series of LOGH length. It constantly felt like it was just on the verge of going somewhere but it never did.

Don't worry, I am sure it will be a smash hit and that will convince the Japanese and we well get an epic 2nd season right? A guy can hope :smith:

Are there any other recent shows that get you guys your space opera fix, not counting Mecha?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Unmistakeable Fire posted:

Don't worry, I am sure it will be a smash hit and that will convince the Japanese and we well get an epic 2nd season right? A guy can hope :smith:

Are there any other recent shows that get you guys your space opera fix, not counting Mecha?

I liked Heroic Age, although that is sort of mecha/kaiju at times, and also I am about the only one in this forum that liked it, so take that for what it is. :v: However if you like thousands of spaceships shooting lasers at each other and don't expect too much more out of it, you might give it a try.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Is there anywhere I can find spoiler-free character descriptions and maybe even pictures of them? I'm terrible at remembering faces/names and who does what in a normal show, let alone one that introduces a half dozen new characters an episode.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Is there anywhere I can find spoiler-free character descriptions and maybe even pictures of them? I'm terrible at remembering faces/names and who does what in a normal show, let alone one that introduces a half dozen new characters an episode.

Yeah, sure. There's still a bunch of people in the show that are important not listed here though (Rubinsky, all of the politicians, etc) but I'd say it's a good start.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Thanks, that's great.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Conduit for Sale! posted:

You know how they get their names under them when they're introduced? This happens every episode for a long, long time. I don't mean with new people, I mean the same characters, over and over again.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006

jonjonaug posted:

Yeah, sure. There's still a bunch of people in the show that are important not listed here though (Rubinsky, all of the politicians, etc) but I'd say it's a good start.

Who is that dude between Dusty and Mashengo?

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
I swear I think he's some Alliance admiral who gets blown up.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Bucock should've been in that picture....next to Yang...as the man who always believed in him...:unsmith:

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

He is you, the fan of LOGH, projecting yourself into the anime.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006

Kweh posted:

He is you, the fan of LOGH, projecting yourself into the anime.

Why would I, a brown man IRL, want to be a paleface Galactic hero, when I could be cool and swarthy like Sitolet.

Also how come LOGH is so progressive in its depiction of nationalities yet there are no Indian guys?! There are Chinese people, Vietnamese people, Brazilians, Africans etc etc but not a single Hindu. Once again Japan's crushing racism oppresses me :(

Dawning Horror
Jun 18, 2009

He's one of the bridge officers. I don't think they ever gave him a name.

flicker and die
Nov 11, 2009

by mons all madden
Nice writeup OP. A few people I trust (Kaiba fans) have suggested this so I'm going to try it out.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Also how come LOGH is so progressive in its depiction of nationalities yet there are no Indian guys?! There are Chinese people, Vietnamese people, Brazilians, Africans etc etc but not a single Hindu. Once again Japan's crushing racism oppresses me :(

I'm going to give you the same answer I give in the Star Trek threads: India lost World War III. :v:

WarpZealot
Nov 25, 2005
Yes, I've played Starcraft.
I love the classical soundtrack, but I can't seem to find any reference to what songs play during which episodes. I'm particularly interested in 14:15 of episode 23. Can anyone name the song for it?

e: VVVV Thank you so much

WarpZealot fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

WarpZealot posted:

I love the classical soundtrack, but I can't seem to find any reference to what songs play during which episodes. I'm particularly interested in 14:15 of episode 23. Can anyone name the song for it?

Guide for most of the music in LOGH