Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Leperflesh posted:

I thought you guys might appreciate this. This is an oil-rigger's blog site, with some pretty technical in-depth discussions about what happened to the deepwater horizon and why:

http://www.drillingahead.com/forum/topics/transocean-deepwater-horizon-1

Be sure to read the comments after the main article.

That article is fantastic. Thanks for linking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Wish i had a photo. I passed a truck a while back that was sitting on the side of the road with it's nearest front wheel sitting at a rather strange angle. All i could think was the stub axle had snapped or something.

passing it on the way back, the front was hoisted up by a truck towtruck and the front wheel was gone.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Holy poo poo, what are the chances of that happening? It looks like it brought some hot engine oil along with it, judging from how it splashed against the drywall as it ruptured through the house.

What would you even change on the engine to withstand something like that? That's gotta be a shitload of force to move a piston that weighs almost 100lb that far.

Am I right in assuming it was the cause of poor maintenance? Those bolts should have been checked and retorqued to make sure the thread wasn't wearing on them.

edit: Man, I wonder what it sounded like to whoever was inside the house at the time.
Probably like a train wreck :rimshot:

Leperflesh posted:

So Hyundai isn't at fault here. Possibly halliburton is, or BP, or some other contractor, or (most likely) a combination of factors that include operational error, poor planning, and physical failure of equipment.
BP's lobbying was critical to defeating the law that would have required the blowout preventer to have a backup remote acoustic trigger. Norway and Brazil require them, but another few hundred thousand dollars on top of the hundreds of millions it costs to build an oil rig would cripple oil companies in the US, according to the oil industry.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I hope BP is tallying up the ever-increasing costs of containing their gently caress-up. Maybe after that they can multiply that by the number of rigs they have in the Gulf and reevaluate whether using better prevention technology could really "cripple" them more than having to pay to fix issues those could have prevented.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

GWBBQ posted:

BP's lobbying was critical to defeating the law that would have required the blowout preventer to have a backup remote acoustic trigger. Norway and Brazil require them, but another few hundred thousand dollars on top of the hundreds of millions it costs to build an oil rig would cripple oil companies in the US, according to the oil industry.

Which would have been useless in this case as the BOP failed to fully close, not that it failed to activate.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

el topo posted:

I hope BP is tallying up the ever-increasing costs of containing their gently caress-up. Maybe after that they can multiply that by the number of rigs they have in the Gulf and reevaluate whether using better prevention technology could really "cripple" them more than having to pay to fix issues those could have prevented.

I read estimates of 15 loving billion!

Lowe9
Jul 31, 2005

tehllama posted:

I once saw a truck force a minivan to slam on its brakes on and slide full stop onto the shoulder as he muscled his way into the left lane in front of it. Nevermind on that section of the interstate trucks aren't allowed in either of the left two lanes.

On the other hand, I see cars doing stupid poo poo daily. Generally trucks just sit over in the right lane and don't bother anyone. The only problem I've ever had with one was a mechanical failure on the way to Miami. A truck in the next lane slightly ahead of me blew a retread; I had nowhere to go and as I ran over it it ripped the rhino guard off the underside of my engine and broke out the bottom grill on one side of my front end.

This.

I'm well aware driving in trucks blind spot is a stupid idea. However, the only times is happened to me is in heavy bumper to bumper highway traffic moving 30-50km/h, or while travelling in the left lanes at 115km/h, while the truck is doing 105 in the right lane.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Why are retreads still legal?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

grover posted:

The last bastion of Darwinism in action?

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

grover posted:

Listen, if you can see the steel belts in it its a blowout not a retread separation.

Contrary to popular belief a retread is usually stronger than the original tire.

Dr. Moose
Nov 22, 2008

grover posted:

Because commercial truck tyres are expensive. Generally, they have 4 lives; run, recut, retread, recut. Then they're recycled. Yeah, many live more than 4 lives..

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

el topo posted:

It's not times the number of rigs they have, it's the number of rigs multiplied by the % they expect to risk failing. That % might be marked up now, but it's most certainly not "what if every single rig we had failed this spectacularly at once"

That said, with this much publicity and cost, it's pretty much a sure thing they'll do it anyways now.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

grover posted:

Because they are pretty loving safe?

And recycling and all that poo poo. I've lost a couple of tires and most of them have been new.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I think something went wrong here:

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

jamal posted:

There's not enough oil in those shavings.

Haddas
Sep 12, 2004

Cheap appendix removal!

jamal posted:

It's like you're optimus prime, and the mafia sent this to you in the mail, and you puked on it upon opening.

or something.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

InterceptorV8 posted:

Because they are pretty loving safe?

And recycling and all that poo poo. I've lost a couple of tires and most of them have been new.

Nothing wrong with retreads as long as the core is still good. I used to use them on my beetle which would eat tyres alive. Also alright with trailers etc.

Like you said trucks use them without issue. is compound very important on something that big?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

jamal posted:

Fram :p

Do you know what happened? Thats alotta shavings.

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.

This happened to my friend's GXP at about 700 miles. Those weird lumps of metal were apparently what was left of the piston. The techs told him some manufacturing defect caused coolant to get into the oil.

In any case, after they put the new engine in, there was apparently some debris stuck in the cat that the old engine shat out when it died. That somehow made its way back into the new engine and destroyed it, too.

Third time seems to have been the charm.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

Probably like a train wreck :rimshot:

There are a lot of ironies in all this. One of them is that near-shore (shallow water) drilling is likely to get seriously scuttled after this disaster, when that's actually pretty safe (comparitavely). Whereas the Deepwater Horizon was drilling a (reportedly) extremely high pressure (20,000 PSI+) deep water well.

Another irony: this was a modest find.

Another irony: the best way to stop the leaking, at this point, is to drill a couple of additional bores into the existing one, at an angle, so they can inject something to block the main bore. So two more ships and crews will have to take on an even more complex and potentially dangerous task, with incredible pressure to go as fast as possible, and hopefully not get killed doing it.

Ultimately there is always a balance between cost and safety. Any bystander can point to wherever that line was drawn and say, post-disaster, "Oh! they could have spent just a little more, and it wouldn't have happened! What idiots!" but that is hindsight. The reality is that experienced and smart people run the numbers and try to find a point where the operation is reasonably safe and still reasonably profitable. None of those people involved want someone to get killed, none of them want a rig to blow up, and every single one of them is acutely aware of the consequences of a fuckup.

I'm not a pro-drilling pro-oil guy, far from it. But it's patently unfair to point at BP and say they are to blame for this because they didn't approve of using a particular bit of kit. We simply do not know yet exactly what happened or why, and particularly what changes in practice might have prevented this.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

c355n4 posted:

Fram :p

Do you know what happened? Thats alotta shavings.

shavings? those are chunks of piston. You can even see a piston pin circlip sitting on the pickup there.

I have some pictures on the work camera and will bring mine tomorrow. needless to say that whole motor is hosed. Maybe he should have checked the oil level occasionally...

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Leperflesh posted:

We simply do not know yet exactly what happened or why, and particularly what changes in practice might have prevented this.

But, like, the CORPORATIONS, MAN. They're raping the world, for MONEY, and stuff.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just another working mine. Nothing to see here.

What's that in the water? Oops.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Gorilla Salad posted:

What's that in the water?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Looks like one of those giant fuckoff earth movers.

SlapActionJackson fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 7, 2010

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Holy poo poo. I hope that was stationary. :ohdear:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Oh, I was focusing on the white thing that looks like a moving truck van on the water.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Gorilla Salad posted:

Just another working mine. Nothing to see here.

Story, please.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
As expensive as those things are, you'd think that they would be more careful with them.

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.
I need pictures of the recovery. :f5:

Vaya con Dios!!!
Aug 14, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

reasonably safe and still reasonably profitable

I agree with everything you said, just wanted to point out that "reasonably profitable" is a laughable term when applied to the oil industry.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Rogz posted:

I need pictures of the recovery. :f5:

Do they make cranes that can deadlift 120 tons through water?

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

Holy poo poo those are bigger rocks than I thought they were.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

meatpimp posted:

Story, please.

I just got this from a mate who works for a mine in Broome. I don't know where it happened or when.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

frozenphil posted:

:science: Airbags!

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

frozenphil posted:

Sponge! posted:

:science: Airbags!

I was thinking drain and use another truck to pull it out. But airbags probably... I must know!

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Rogz posted:

I was thinking drain and use another truck to pull it out. But airbags probably... I must know!

You'd airbag it to float it to where the pit road is closest, and then you'd use a ground winch to drag it onto dry land and then hopefully tip it right side up.

You can see the pit road at the right middle frame. They'd have to float it over there.

I like how it seems there was fluids spilled out of it on the way down. Yellow stain on the rocks...

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Sponge! posted:

You'd airbag it to float it to where the pit road is closest, and then you'd use a ground winch to drag it onto dry land and then hopefully tip it right side up.

You can see the pit road at the right middle frame. They'd have to float it over there.

I like how it seems there was fluids spilled out of it on the way down. Yellow stain on the rocks...

Oh cool.

Stain was probably the driver wetting himself. I know I would.

Cop
Nov 14, 2007
Random guy calling it Photoshop

Many more giant truck accidents in that album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

hatefulsquid posted:

I agree with everything you said, just wanted to point out that "reasonably profitable" is a laughable term when applied to the oil industry.

I know it. Goddamn under-performing assholes. :argh: