Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I put this game down nearly two weeks ago after getting stuck and am interested in resuming my current playthrough, however, I require some help:
Early on in the game (after the boss fight where Kaine helps me fight that huge monster that escapes) whatsherface tells me to visit the tavern to see if I can find any jobs there. What am I supposed to do? If I recall correctly, the bartender keeps repeating lines from a sidequest I accepted early on in the game before being given the order to go there, the woman playing the guitar wants me to do some grinding sidequest, and the other people there just have nothing to say.
What am I supposed to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Notinghamington posted:

So which version of Nier is better, the ps3 or the xbox version? I want to get this game but I don't know what version to get it for.

I haven't heard of any real differences between them, so it's probably up to personal preference.

Snowman95
Nov 25, 2004

GUI posted:

I put this game down nearly two weeks ago after getting stuck and am interested in resuming my current playthrough, however, I require some help:
Early on in the game (after the boss fight where Kaine helps me fight that huge monster that escapes) whatsherface tells me to visit the tavern to see if I can find any jobs there. What am I supposed to do? If I recall correctly, the bartender keeps repeating lines from a sidequest I accepted early on in the game before being given the order to go there, the woman playing the guitar wants me to do some grinding sidequest, and the other people there just have nothing to say.

when in doubt go to the library, do grinding side quest

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

GUI posted:

Huh? That's just directing you to where you can learn about sidequests (Devola will tell you about any active quests which is pretty handy). There should be a giant red X on your map pointing you wherever you need to go next and a little blurb in the lower left of the menu describing your next objective.

This is about the time where you are going to head to the junk heap but you probably either need to talk to Yonah or Popola first.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
Literally the only times you're not told exactly where to go with a giant red X on the map are in dungeons. Look for it on your minimap!

e,fb

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Why can I not buy the soundtrack to this on Australian iTunes, I mean they sell the game here and everything :colbert:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Gentlemen! BEHOLD! NIER DLC!

Okay they don't go into many details but apparently there's going to be a "special stage" for "continuous battles" like the dream fight in The Magic Stone at Seafront and a new set of costumes to turn Nier and friends into... 16th century Samurai? Content can be carried over into the regular game, expect it announced next week in the new issue of Famitsu.

Square-Enix, if you make it easy to get rare materials in this DLC I will buy it. No questions asked.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

For us Britlandian types, the game is already down to 1/3 price (£15) at gamestation.co.uk - I had been planning on renting it, but at that price, I can just buy it, and trade it off to Playswap (formerly Goozex) for tons o' points when I'm done.

They've also got a bunch of other stuff at crazy clearance prices, including Yakuza 3. I'd be buying that as well, but I'm pinching pennies, and don't really have the time for two semi-open-world games.

Edit: It's not just the niche games they're clearing out either. They've got Modern Warfare 2 and Final Fantasy 13 at similar prices.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 7, 2010

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Gentlemen! BEHOLD! NIER DLC!

Okay they don't go into many details but apparently there's going to be a "special stage" for "continuous battles" like the dream fight in The Magic Stone at Seafront and a new set of costumes to turn Nier and friends into... 16th century Samurai? Content can be carried over into the regular game, expect it announced next week in the new issue of Famitsu.

Square-Enix, if you make it easy to get rare materials in this DLC I will buy it. No questions asked.

Really can't see myself buying DLC after the D ending. Kinda wonder if they shot themselves in the foot with that.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
Gotta say I was thinking of DLC that didn't rely on your save games not being nuked and this isn't it. :unsmith:

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Man, I'm gonna have to pick this up.

So compared to Drakengard, how likely is this to screw up The Dark Id if he ever does an LP of it?

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

RedMagus posted:

So compared to Drakengard, how likely is this to screw up The Dark Id if he ever does an LP of it?

It's like falling in love with a violent palsied elephant, only instead of love it's soul-crushing depression.

jannik
Oct 15, 2004

The Biggest Anime

ImpAtom posted:

Really can't see myself buying DLC after the D ending. Kinda wonder if they shot themselves in the foot with that.
That's why I backed up my saves beforehand.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
Truth be told I'm planning on replaying the game on hard when I get time, so it's not like I minded losing my files. :ssh:

This game isn't likely to send Id into gibbering madness except for a few things.

To compare with emoticons:

Drakengard is :cawg:.

Nier is :smithicide:.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I'm actually looking forward to Id's take on the game. The other game's he's played through have allowed for him to actually CREATE a lot of their personality where none was before. But in this a lot of the characters not only have personality, but seem to say a lot of the same stuff in idle conversations that I could see Id normally writing in himself.

That said, my roommate and I are playing through this game together and she says she has a hard time relating to the MC, despite everyone else. He doesn't seem to have a lot of character himself, she says. I'm wondering if she's right. She's had an easier time relating to War in Darksiders because he WAS so bland, but Nier himself seems to be in a middle ground between fully fleshed out and a blank slate, just enough development to make it hard to put yourself in his shoes.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Rei_ posted:

That said, my roommate and I are playing through this game together and she says she has a hard time relating to the MC, despite everyone else. He doesn't seem to have a lot of character himself, she says. I'm wondering if she's right. She's had an easier time relating to War in Darksiders because he WAS so bland, but Nier himself seems to be in a middle ground between fully fleshed out and a blank slate, just enough development to make it hard to put yourself in his shoes.

He's completely single-minded. This makes him very difficult to relate to but his unwavering and simple devotion makes the latter half of the game much more emotionally significant the first time through. The other NPCs humanize him through interaction, enough that you can be properly horrified by his lack of depth. Makes him feel less like a shallow character in a game and more like a shallow and violent but somewhat sympathetic human being.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Rei_ posted:

I'm actually looking forward to Id's take on the game. The other game's he's played through have allowed for him to actually CREATE a lot of their personality where none was before. But in this a lot of the characters not only have personality, but seem to say a lot of the same stuff in idle conversations that I could see Id normally writing in himself.

By MC, I assume you mean the main character. If so, I relate to him well enough. He cares deeply for his daughter, obviously. He's also an optimistic man who respects and thinks the best of other people. I actually relate to him more than most RPG characters just because he's so unique

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

If you're the type who has to do every single quest, Nier and Weiss often get into chats about Nier's personality and why he just has to help people. It's something I kinda wish they put into the integral story and not left that characterization in side quests, because you see him in different lights when it comes to dealing with the different NPCs in the game (like the lighthouse woman or the fisherman)

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
Does anyone else think that that bad guy you meet looks almost exactly like The Nameless One from Planescape: Torment?

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition
I actually liked this game, what I played of it anyway, my rental is up though and sadly I only got about 4 hours into the story. It had the unfortunate luck of hitting my doorstep the same time as the Halo Beta and my copy of Sonic Sega Ultimate collection. All that said I'll definitely pick this up again down the road and finish it out.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

RedMagus posted:

I actually liked Nier and had fun completing most of it, where as Drakengard made me want to actively murder the developers once 100% it. Though, I haven't gotten to 100% Nier yet.

I'll just save pulling the trigger on Ending D until I actually do the LP in a few months.

vvv Cavia feasts on your frustration.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 7, 2010

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm at 98% quest completion, and the woman who gives you quests doesn't have any left. I have found the secret quest in the desert, and don't have any uncompletable quests in the list. Apparently there are missable secret quests. Now that's loving cruel :saddowns:

Sigh. At least I have managed to gather 600,000 gold and Nier is an unstoppable killing machine at this point.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 7, 2010

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah there are quests that Devola doesn't get because the people don't go to her, usually they're quests in Facade.

Did you do the Moonflower seed quest already?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The pink ones? Yeah. That's quickly done if you abuse the PS3's system clock.

I've looked it up and apparently there's a quest in Part 1 called The Pride of a Lover given to you by a guy close to the lighthouse in Seafront. You have to talk to him several times before he gives you the quest. So cruel. I don't know if I've missed anything else.

Does the game at least save your quest progress when you replay it?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 7, 2010

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Renoistic posted:

The pink ones? Yeah. That's quickly done if you abuse the PS3's system clock.

I've looked it up and apparently there's a quest in Part 1 called The Pride of a Lover given to you by a guy close to the lighthouse in Seafront. You have to talk to him several times before he gives you the quest. So cruel. I don't know if I've missed anything else.

Does the game at least save your quest progress when you replay it?

The best way to answer that question starts by asking in just what sense you mean replaying the game.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Well if I want to complete the missing quest I have to start over from the beginning. I've heard there's a trophy for beating the game in under 15 hours so I suppose there's a way to replay the whole game with your stats intact?

Oh. I just checked and there aren't any trophies for beating all the quests :doh:

So I suppose I'll just load one of my earlier saves and complete that quest - so I at least can tell myself I completed them all. If you already have 98%, you REALLY want to make it the whole way.

It's a really fun game, anyway. It's taken me 39 hours to reach the end (first play through) because of all the side quests, and I'm still not bored.

By the way - I'm trying to cultivate the white flower - does anyone know if I can just reload my save until I get one, or if I have to put in new seeds and wait for them to grow again?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 7, 2010

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Renoistic posted:

I've heard there's a trophy for beating the game in under 15 hours so I suppose there's a way to replay the whole game with your stats intact?

There is a Trophy for that, but you have to do it legit starting from scratch. I'm going to do it later whenever the hell I get around to finishing all the Weapons and basically it involves putting the game on Easy, skipping every cutscene and pretty much never "pausing" or dicking around because Nier's timer never stops while you're playing it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Policenaut posted:

There is a Trophy for that, but you have to do it legit starting from scratch.

Ouch. I think I'll just get all the endings and take a break before I do that. I still haven't finished Resonance of Fate, and those turtles in FFXIII won't kill themselves!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Just beat Facade. Everything that bugged me about the game no longer bugs me and I am not hestitating to say it was worth the purchase at this point. Also EVERYTHING IS SO DEPRESSING WHAT THE gently caress

Completely optional sidequest:
Please find my dog

The dog is dead when you find it.
You go back to the master with the bad news, his grandson is there and says "sorry he died"
You give him a leaf the dog had and he says "oh yeah this was the medicine that was keeping him alive, guess the dog was bringing it"

"They're in heaven together. I know it"

And this is like a completely pointless, seemingly harmless quest.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
What Drakengard did with insanity this game does with depression and doubt.

Lopside
Jan 10, 2010
The Gametrailers review is finally up, if anyone's interested: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-nier/65332

It's pretty similar to most of the other reviews.

INSERT COIN
Sep 26, 2007

I really like the combat system in this game. A lot of the time I feel like I'm playing an arcade shooter, especially during some of the boss fights. The music and voice acting is really top notch too. If anything the game is rent worthy, but I really want to check out the alternate endings so I may hold off on trading it in for a few weeks.

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

Ordered this the night I found this thread and it arrived yesterday. gently caress, is this game cool or what. I feel like it's got a charm that I haven't felt in any JRPG for a good long while.

The prologue especially was awesome since I like post-apocalyptic settings, and then when the main game began with '1000 something years later' it pulled me in even more. I'm excited to find out exactly what happened to this world and why.

Currently in the forest of myth, and loving the transition to a text-adventure. I think a major part of this game's charm comes from such abrupt genre-switching.

One question though, when you guys are referring to Part 1 and Part 2 do you mean Part 1 is the first playthrough and Part 2 is the second, or do you mean literally the second half of any given playthrough? Also, if somebody wants to post the four quests necessary to get all the weapons I'd appreciate it. I think I did one of them but I'm kinda stumped, and I'd like to get all four endings without too much hassle.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

AuroMarshmallow posted:

One question though, when you guys are referring to Part 1 and Part 2 do you mean Part 1 is the first playthrough and Part 2 is the second, or do you mean literally the second half of any given playthrough? Also, if somebody wants to post the four quests necessary to get all the weapons I'd appreciate it. I think I did one of them but I'm kinda stumped, and I'd like to get all four endings without too much hassle.

This is how it works: The game is clearly and obviously divided into two parts--when you beat it and reload your clear data, it will start you again at the beginning of Part 2. You'll play through the second half of the game again, only with a shitload of new dialogue and a bunch of backstory for one of your companions added in (and a new ending). Definitely worth doing, because I'm on the second playthrough and I just got the first key fragment--and already I like how it's done.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 8, 2010

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Well, got 100% on all the quests and just wrapped up my run at Ending A.

In regards to Ending A, big spoilers, naturally:

Emil goes out like a champ. That whole death scene is really affecting, even when you know it's coming, like I did. I also thought that Nier's voice actor really knocked the final battle speech out of the park. The "You want me to understand your sadness?" thing. Really pumps you up before getting bombarded by a thousand magic bullets.

I also really appreciated the game's recurring motif of language and words having great power, both for good and ill. The Forest of Myth is the pinnacle of this, so far at least.

I'm looking forward to Ending B.

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
I love Grimoire Weiss, and this game. I love the combat and the word system is awesome. I'm not that deep in though, just made it to the dessert town with all the rules.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just got the Legendary Gardener trophy. Hell yeah. Now to plant those delicious seeds and sell the white moonflowers for 5K a piece. Nier is on his way to becoming a millionaire! Well, he's earned it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

InnercityGriot posted:

I'm looking forward to Ending B.

Keep watching after the credits. That's all I'm saying.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Just got ending A. Pretty interesting game overall, if very weird. I'm happy I checked it out in the end though, but I do hope that I'll get more backstory on Weiss and Noir in the second playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
For backstory on Weiss and Noir, at least a little backstory, check the documents you get in the second Twins fight. The focus of the second playthrough is on something different.

• Locked thread