Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
How are the trophies for beating bosses in a certain amount of time supposed to work?

I'm in part 2 and just finished the Lost Shrine revisit (where you get the first part of the key), where you fight the boss of the shrine and then Kaine in shade form. After trying that fight like 3 times and not getting the trophies either time, I did it using a stopwatch. I beat the Lost Shrine boss in like 1:03 (target time is 2:30) and Kaine in around 0:40 (target time is 1:00) and I still haven't gotten the trophies, so what gives? Do they not unlock until later, or do the descriptions refer to a third battle with them, or is it only on new game +, or is my game bugged or what?

And yes, I'm skipping all the mid-fight cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Not sure why you're not getting them. I got it fine on my first try. They should unlock right after the battle.

Anyway, one of my favorite side quests is the runaway son one in part 1.

Nier: "This was the worst job ever."

Ed: Try skipping the after battle cutscenes too.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
Welp. I just picked this up and my only complaint ONLY complaint is that it lets me rename the main character and not his daughter. If Im going to be rolling around with a big burly dude with my name, I want the daughter to have my daughters name too :colbert: yeah I know.. voice acting and all. Other than that I am thoroughly impressed with how awesome this game came together.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm going for ending B and Holy poo poo. When fighting them for the first time, I wondered why the shades in the Gretel fight were so useless, I got teary-eyed when the king of Facade killed the wolf leader because it looked so sad, and I wondered why the hell the swordsmith blamed the robot for the death of his brother when it didn't actually do anything. But I never thought those things were intentional until I started the new game+, and now it's safe to say I haven't felt this bad for killing bosses since Shadow of the Colossus. When the pack leader had his little flashback I just about started bawling right there on the sofa.

This whole game really tugs on your heartstrings. The whole plot about saving your daughter - the wedding scene - Emil's death ( I didn't even LIKE him and I could feel my eyes watering as soon as I understood what he was going to do) - Popola and Devola ("Can't you just...go back to the village?"). Heck, even some of the quests were real downers.

I blame the superb music. That little song with the choir boy and strings is just so god drat sad :(

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 8, 2010

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

TheOriginalEd posted:

Welp. I just picked this up and my only complaint ONLY complaint is that it lets me rename the main character and not his daughter. If Im going to be rolling around with a big burly dude with my name, I want the daughter to have my daughters name too :colbert: yeah I know.. voice acting and all. Other than that I am thoroughly impressed with how awesome this game came together.

The renaming thing bugged me too, if only because the drat title of the game is Nier, as far as I was concerned the protagonist's name is Nier, but nobody calls him that because he's re-nameable. Sort of an odd oversight in my opinion ... unless it gets referenced or explained later in the game or something.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
What do you guys think is the best location for farming gold ores?

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Renoistic posted:

I'm going for ending B and Holy poo poo. When fighting them for the first time, I wondered why the shades in the Gretel fight were so useless, I got teary-eyed when the king of Facade killed the wolf leader because it looked so sad, and I wondered why the hell the swordsmith blamed the robot for the death of his brother when it didn't actually do anything. But I never thought those things were intentional until I started the new game+, and now it's safe to say I haven't felt this bad for killing bosses since Shadow of the Colossus. When the pack leader had his little flashback I just about started bawling right there on the sofa.

This whole game really tugs on your heartstrings. The whole plot about saving your daughter - the wedding scene - Emil's death ( I didn't even LIKE him and I could feel my eyes watering as soon as I understood what he was going to do) - Popola and Devola ("Can't you just...go back to the village?"). Heck, even some of the quests were real downers.

I blame the superb music. That little song with the choir boy and strings is just so god drat sad :(

I bet the protagonist seems a LOT less sympathetic and righteous now, eh?

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

UselessLurker posted:

Not really. I haven't finished Part 2, but the Shades didn't have to keep attacking you. I don't feel the least sorry for the shades in The Aire, because the Man only came because they wrote him a drat letter

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

UselessLurker posted:

Major spoilers: Well you can't really blame Nier for trying to save his daughter and all the others. It's sad about the neutral/friendly shades, but like Weiss says - the shades/humans and the replicants can't co-exist. Eventually the shades will kill/possess everyone unless someone stops them. But if all shades are killed, the real human species will be extinct :psyduck: This game has not the most uplifting story.

Thankfully the characters are funny and at least somewhat fleshed out so the players can ignore the whole back-story if they want :)

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 9, 2010

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Cyrai posted:

Not really. I haven't finished Part 2, but the Shades didn't have to keep attacking you. I don't feel the least sorry for the shades in The Aire, because the Man only came because they wrote him a drat letter

They sent the letter out because they wanted to reintegrate with the world. They wanted to try and live peacefully alongside the replicants, which was somewhat strained when the genocidal madman turned up and insisted that he would kill every shade in existence. The battle was only really started when that one shade snapped and attacked you, and your retaliation pretty much sent the entire village into chaos.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Ddraig posted:

They sent the letter out because they wanted to reintegrate with the world. They wanted to try and live peacefully alongside the replicants, which was somewhat strained when the genocidal madman turned up and insisted that he would kill every shade in existence. The battle was only really started when that one shade snapped and attacked you, and your retaliation pretty much sent the entire village into chaos.

Reading this made me realize just how hosed up the situation in the Aire was. The shade Kaine kills in the cutscene must have murdered the girl and possessed her body, and her brother was fine with it as long as he still had someone to call sister :gonk: One of the unseen NPCs also mention how his wife is "different", so obviously not all villagers were aware of the shades "living peacefully" among them.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 9, 2010

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yeah it's a pretty hosed situation. I guess the tagline of "Nothing is as it seems" is pretty appropriate for this game.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Megaflare posted:

Not sure why you're not getting them. I got it fine on my first try. They should unlock right after the battle.

Anyway, one of my favorite side quests is the runaway son one in part 1.

Nier: "This was the worst job ever."

Ed: Try skipping the after battle cutscenes too.

Yeah I'm skipping everything but no trophies, oh well. Maybe I'll just try again the second time round.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Renoistic posted:

Reading this made me realize just how hosed up the situation in the Aire was. The shade Kaine kills in the cutscene must have murdered the girl and possessed her body, and her brother was fine with it as long as he still had someone to call sister :gonk: One of the unseen NPCs also mention how his wife is "different", so obviously not all villagers were aware of the shades "living peacefully" among them.

Or...

Kaine could have just been being the horrible bitch she really is and is just killing the girl because she just is somewhat possessed by a shade. I mean who else is possessed by a shade and yet kept their humanity too? :ssh:

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
What do you have to do to get endings B, C, and D. B is beating the game twice, right?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Cyrai posted:

What do you have to do to get endings B, C, and D. B is beating the game twice, right?

It's in the OP.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Crowbear posted:

It's in the OP.

I thought I read the whole thing :downsbravo:

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
So if I'm masochistic enough to go for the weapon upgrade trophy (I am), are there any materials that I should look out for in the first half that are miss-able other than the Eagle Eggs?

I just want to make sure I can get it on my first play through (without starting the game from scratch) so I only have to do 1 extra play through for the speed run.

Policenaut posted:

Eagle Eggs can be found in the same place in Parts 1 and 2, it's just that after the big event in Part 2 at their location you can't get them anymore.

Ah. I'll probably still get them as soon I can anyway. When's the soonest I can find them? I did a couple of reloads and all I found in that spot was clay and copper.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 9, 2010

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Crowbear posted:

So if I'm masochistic enough to go for the weapon upgrade trophy (I am), are there any materials that I should look out for in the first half that are miss-able other than the Eagle Eggs?

I just want to make sure I can get it on my first play through (without starting the game from scratch) so I only have to do 1 extra play through for the speed run.

Eagle Eggs can be found in the same place in Parts 1 and 2, it's just that after the big event in Part 2 at their location you can't get them anymore.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Crowbear posted:

I don't think so and as already pointed out, EEs aren't actually missable. What I suggest you do though is every time you enter the Village or Seafront you check all the spots for Giant Eggs/Black Pearls. I haven't gotten the first ending yet and I already have all my Giant Eggs and 8 Black Pearls from doing this.

Also, I'm pretty sure Giant Eggs are only at the collection locations directly under trees and such.

quote:

What do you guys think is the best location for farming gold ores?

Can't you buy them at the junk heap? He has some ores, maybe not gold. I can't quite remember. Desert is pretty good for ores though as all the locations are "rock" locations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Gold Ores are the only "<Mineral> Ore" that can't be bought, but they can be found in random Gather spots. The Desert as mentioned before is pretty good for it, plus you can combine it with your search for those god awful materials that those flying jerks drop (subdued bracelet! :argh:)

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
Does the game try to pronounce what you name the main character near the end?

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Cyrai posted:

Does the game try to pronounce what you name the main character near the end?

People said maybe it does a while back but no one ever really confirmed it.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
When I finished my Ending A run last night, there is a part where you have to input an answer to a question: who do you love the most? but I didn't actually hear the game speak it aloud.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
When (ending spoilers)Emil says your name in text as he dies, Emil says something in the audio, and it sounds almost exactly like what I named my character, Cyrai. Which will really impress me, if that's the case, because people usually mispronounce Cyrai in real life

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

InnercityGriot posted:

When I finished my Ending A run last night, there is a part where you have to input an answer to a question: who do you love the most? but I didn't actually hear the game speak it aloud.

I think they're talking about when Emil says the main characters name. There was certainly something said there, but it wasn't my characters name. But to be fair I had 0's instead of o's in the name, not sure why I did that but it did make the Project Gestalt reports more interesting.

During the final battle what does Weiss do exactly when he sacrifices himself? He seems to just float off and change absolutely nothing, other than making you lose your powers. Is he supposed to be holding the shadowlord in place or something?

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Konjuro posted:

I think they're talking about when Emil says the main characters name. There was certainly something said there, but it wasn't my characters name. But to be fair I had 0's instead of o's in the name, not sure why I did that but it did make the Project Gestalt reports more interesting.

During the final battle what does Weiss do exactly when he sacrifices himself? He seems to just float off and change absolutely nothing, other than making you lose your powers. Is he supposed to be holding the shadowlord in place or something?

Yeah, the sisters took their powers back and he was doing everything after that with what little he had left. He basically gave up his physical form entirely to bind the Shadowlord in place, yeah.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Man, you people were not kidding about hard. I think that was a solid five minutes of hitting a giant boar.

And yet despite all the things about this game that are completely terrible, I like it a lot and think it's really good. Go figure.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Ending B run is depressing, goddamn. On to Ending C, although I might take a break and do something less sad for a while, like reminiscing over my grandmother's battle with cancer or something

Although bouncing Emil head in the desert was pretty sweet.

I think I'm going to switch to hard for my C ending run. The B ending I felt really overpowered in, and even had to stop hitting things for fear of missing out on some in-battle dialogue.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

UselessLurker posted:

Or...

Kaine could have just been being the horrible bitch she really is and is just killing the girl because she just is somewhat possessed by a shade. I mean who else is possessed by a shade and yet kept their humanity too? :ssh:

B run spoilers.
Kaine's special since she actually struck a deal with her shade. He let's her be in control as long as she keeps killing things and doesn't try to settle down (which is why she has to reject Nier's offer in ending A). I think the game makes it pretty clear that she's a foulmouthed woman with the her heart in the right place, but with an unfortunate fate, and not a murderous psychopath. She joins Nier in his quest save his daughter without question, saves kids in trouble, is nice to Emil, and doesn't kill anything except shades and animals that attack you :colbert: It'll be interesting to see if they give her a slightly more upbeat ending in C or D (I doubt it)

What strikes me about this game is how nice all the main characters are, in contrast to their appearance and, in one case, foul language.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 9, 2010

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
What the gently caress, this game has me totally confused. First I have to hate the Shades, now I don't even wanna play anymore because I fear I might burst into tears again. The part with the wolves was so loving depressing, when it got to the reminiscence of the wolf Shade I had to stop myself from crying for fear that my boyfriend was going to laugh at me. I don't even want to play ending C and D because I'm probably going to be crying throughout the whole thing.

Also, the spears are overpowered.

Edit: Ending B spoiler Holy loving poo poo! Emil lives!!

Notinghamington fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 9, 2010

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Notinghamington posted:

What the gently caress, this game has me totally confused. First I have to hate the Shades, now I don't even wanna play anymore because I fear I might burst into tears again. The part with the wolves was so loving depressing, when it got to the reminiscence of the wolf Shade I had to stop myself from crying for fear that my boyfriend was going to laugh at me.

It's OK, you're not the only one :smith:

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
One thing I don't get is what is the Black Scrawl and the White Chlorination? What the hell is up with Weiss and Noir (what is their back story, the Gestalt files don't say much), and what is the other book? also, it's name?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
When you first meet Weiss He's in an impenetrable barrier, with the two guardians, which has blocked off the "Shadowlord's castle" (which is probably just code for the place where all this stuff will start). I always got the impression that Weiss is the "program" that will initiate the rebirth of the true humans and that Noir is the decryption program. Nier fucks up the system somewhat by destroying the barrier by physical means and Weiss knows virtually gently caress all. It's only when he meets up with Noir that Weiss starts understanding what's going on.

If Nier never got involved I imagine that Noir would get to Weiss, explain what's happening, and the process would go smoothly. Nier's presence threw that off kilter. To make an incredibly lovely analogy, Nier is this world's Neo and managed to infect the Matrix

edit:

This makes the Lost Shrine thing even more depressing because it's the place where the "defective" shades are. The two guardians, Hansel and Gretel, were there in part to prevent them from attempting to sabotage things which makes it even more depressing when you find out that they're not hideous monsters but actually the same as other shades and makes the brief friendship with the remaining guardian even more tragic

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 9, 2010

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

In reference to the part 2 bit in the Aerie (Playthrough B), there's a bit where whilst fighting all the shades a random bit of text comes up saying "That's my husband! He's a shade!". The way it's said in playthrough 1 comes across as "gently caress, my husband is a shade?!" but when you re-play, it's much more obvious that it's actually a desperate woman trying to get you to stop attacking her husband, who is, well, a shade. Super depressing yay!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Ddraig posted:

When you first meet Weiss He's in an impenetrable barrier, with the two guardians, which has blocked off the "Shadowlord's castle" (which is probably just code for the place where all this stuff will start). I always got the impression that Weiss is the "program" that will initiate the rebirth of the true humans and that Noir is the decryption program. Nier fucks up the system somewhat by destroying the barrier by physical means and Weiss knows virtually gently caress all. It's only when he meets up with Noir that Weiss starts understanding what's going on.

If Nier never got involved I imagine that Noir would get to Weiss, explain what's happening, and the process would go smoothly. Nier's presence threw that off kilter. To make an incredibly lovely analogy, Nier is this world's Neo and managed to infect the Matrix

This is pretty much how I saw it too. But I still have no clue what the "Black Scrawl" or White Chlorination are supposed to be. I haven't watched C or D yet, though, so I suppose there might be an explanation later on, even if I'm not holding my breath.

I'm stuck farming crap for my weapons now. I know what I have to do to see the last ending, but I'm NOT giving up on my Platinum trophy! I haven't tried it myself yet, but can't you copy the savefiles to a memory stick? I know some games don't allow it but it can't hurt to try. Not counting the endings and the final fight and the 15 hour playthrough, this is all I have left to do. Too bad they just had to spoil the game somewhat by making farming so god drat time-consuming. Now I wish I hadn't wasted all that material doing all the quests...

Especially the Florite, Large Gear, and Memory alloys are testing my patience :(
But after finding all the Eagle Eggs nothing else is going to make me stop farming!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 9, 2010

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I suspect the black scrawl is just another name for the disease that wiped out humanity. The only people that refer to it as that is the replicants, and they've been deliberately held back when it came to technology. I don't think they've even got a disease theory. White cholorination is also probably an effect of the disease, during the forest of myth segment there's that section where the boy is dying from the disease and he's gone ghostly pale

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
Ending C/D gives you a very, very clear impression of what Black Scrawl really is.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I haven't gotten ending C yet :shobon:

I'm just farming for weapon materials at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Reading these posts I'm so glad I skip 95% of optional quests and don't care about the trophies. Need to finish the game so I can read all these spoilers though.

• Locked thread