Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Cop posted:

Random guy calling it Photoshop

Many more giant truck accidents in that album.

TinEye turned up jack poo poo. I'm not so sure about it being a Photoshop though. It seems too well done to me if it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Why would you bother, though? Mining accidents can be described as either of two things - frequent or bizarre.

I was going to do a big post of weird mining accidents I found on GIS and lo and behold, I found a site where my mate probably found the images in the first place

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Mining accidents own:
:nws: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5H98kA2tqw :nws: (bad language, but it's a goddamn mine what do you expect)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Nam Taf posted:

Mining accidents own:
:nws: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5H98kA2tqw :nws: (bad language, but it's a goddamn mine what do you expect)

OH gently caress indeed :aaa:

D. melanogaster
Jun 27, 2003

is one of the most studied organisms in biological research, particularly in genetics and developmental biology.

teh jhey posted:

This happened to my friend's GXP at about 700 miles. Those weird lumps of metal were apparently what was left of the piston. The techs told him some manufacturing defect caused coolant to get into the oil.

In any case, after they put the new engine in, there was apparently some debris stuck in the cat that the old engine shat out when it died. That somehow made its way back into the new engine and destroyed it, too.

Third time seems to have been the charm.

Just curious but which GXP? G6? Solstice? G8?

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

D. melanogaster posted:

I'm going to guess Grand Prix, otherwise has to be G8 ... that's an LS oil pan

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!

Nam Taf posted:

Mining accidents own:

Watch the crane on the right, about 20 seconds in, something leaves it at a high velocity, right before it catches fire. Makes the locomotive engine on page 27 seem mild in comparison.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

nubie7357 posted:

Watch the crane on the right, about 20 seconds in, something leaves it at a high velocity, right before it catches fire. Makes the locomotive engine on page 27 seem mild in comparison.
Some more info on that video:

http://news.smh.com.au/business/worker-injured-at-curragh-coal-mine-20081208-6tpl.html

quote:

A crane operator has been injured after a winch failed at Wesfarmers Ltd's Curragh coal mine in central Queensland.

"The incident involved one of the mine's five draglines which was undergoing scheduled maintenance at the time," the retail and resources conglomerate said in a statement on Monday.

"The boom of the dragline was being lowered by four cranes and, as a result of winch failure with one of the cranes, the boom fell around 30 metres."

Wesfarmers said the crane operator received minor injuries.

"The incident caused major structural damage to the dragline's boom," it said.

star trek extra credit
Jun 3, 2007

scapulataf posted:

Ahh, now I think I've figured it out, the engine is a mechanical failure because of the tendency for the engines to blow.
Now I get it. It didn't help that I thought I was in the "you put what on your car" thread.

Problem solved.

Well, wrong by technicality, the G60's 1.8l engine is a really, really great engine, and practically bulletproof.

The G60, aka the supercharger itself? Not so much. Most G60 rebuilders recommend 40-60k rebuilds, at about $6-700 each, so...yeah.

And as you can see, I've already posted 2 superchargers that I own, and both of them have blown.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Nam Taf posted:

Mining accidents own:

Read about it and no one was even seriously injured.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Jack the Smack posted:

Read about it and no one was even seriously injured.

Mines are somehow pretty safe for humans, but death for machines.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

InterceptorV8 posted:

Mines are somehow pretty safe for humans, but death for machines.
Well, at least in America. China still manages to kill about 20,000 mine workers every year.

grover fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 8, 2010

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

grover posted:

Well, at least in America. China still manages to kill about 20,000 mine workers every year.

China is like early 20th century america right now when it comes to workplace safety

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
One would say China has a focus on personal responsibility. For example, if you're just walking on an ordinary sidewalk at dusk and get hit on the head with a brick, you should have known that the completely unmarked bit of sidewalk you were walking on is a construction zone, and that workers inside the building are dismantling the interior and just throwing the bricks out the door. That particular example (which I've seen myself) was in the downtown area of Shanghai, not in some small town.

Workers are also responsible for their own safety gear. They get paid squat and pro equipment is expensive, so they have to show some ingenuity.

DrunkenDiablo
Nov 13, 2006
Carbombs!!
Ouch! My eyes burn just looking at that.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

el topo posted:

Workers are also responsible for their own safety gear. They get paid squat and pro equipment is expensive, so they have to show some ingenuity.

Oh come on, that hard hat clearly has a six point suspension. Even mine only has a four point.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

el topo posted:

He's going to get a wicked forehead sunburn.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

nubie7357 posted:

Actually. If you look even closer, the debris comes off the vertical blue boom, due to the scraping action of the now falling white boom and its capstan wheels. The debris falls and presumably hits the spinning cable spools/winch and is bounced out...

I also like how one of the small giraffe cranes on the left just goes tits up/faceplants.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Hm, it almost looks like its trying to have sex with it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

hatefulsquid posted:

I agree with everything you said, just wanted to point out that "reasonably profitable" is a laughable term when applied to the oil industry.

I know you're being facetious but...

There is an enormous amount of known oil on Earth that is not feasible, with current technology, to drill. "Not feasible" means profitable of course.

"Peak Oil" fanatics will point to the 'known reserves' statistics, and compare them to oil consumption statistics, and the math easily shows how we will completely run out in x years. What this analysis fails to take into account, however, is that 'known reserves' refers to economically viable reserves; as the price of oil incrementally increases, more reserves become profitable, and thus 'known reserves' increase. Moreover, as technology improves, the costs of extracting drop, which also brings more oil into the 'known reserves' category.

So, in a nutshell, the modern oil business is an exercise in correctly calculating the cost of extracting a given amount of oil from a given field. The big boys are very good at making these calculations, and part of the reason why, is because they understand how not to overspend... and how not to make billion-dollar mistakes.

"Reasonably profitable" is by definition the threshold between an economically non-viable find, and something worth drilling.

Blocko
Jul 12, 2008

Spoiler alert: Blood Ravens are actually Hiigarans who got sucked into the warp, were sent back in time to fight in WWII against the Panzer Elite, then stole a nazi time machine to go into the future and save mankind from an army of Lobster-Elephants and other impossible creatures.

Rated R.
Speaking of mining accidents:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5v7PEoVbfM

honestly if you're going to park there* I think you deserve what happens.

* it's probably fake

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Blocko posted:

Speaking of mining accidents:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5v7PEoVbfM

honestly if you're going to park there* I think you deserve what happens.

* it's probably fake

Look at the video closely. It looks like the mining truck thought the thing was there temporarily and it tried to stop. It was slowing down but it wasnt able to slow down enough, fast enough.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Blocko posted:

* it's probably fake
As flat as it was smashed, it clearly had no engine in it. So yeah, it was staged.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Nothing a panel beater and some bondo can't fix. :colbert:

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

grover posted:

As flat as it was smashed, it clearly had no engine in it. So yeah, it was staged.

The wheels also seemed to come off too easy, and too flat...

I'm calling Potemkin Pickup on that.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Coasterphreak posted:

Nothing a panel beater and some bondo can't fix. :colbert:

The ultimate beater daily driver.

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.

D. melanogaster posted:

G8.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

I know you're being facetious but...

There is an enormous amount of known oil on Earth that is not feasible, with current technology, to drill. "Not feasible" means profitable of course.

"Peak Oil" fanatics will point to the 'known reserves' statistics, and compare them to oil consumption statistics, and the math easily shows how we will completely run out in x years. What this analysis fails to take into account, however, is that 'known reserves' refers to economically viable reserves; as the price of oil incrementally increases, more reserves become profitable, and thus 'known reserves' increase. Moreover, as technology improves, the costs of extracting drop, which also brings more oil into the 'known reserves' category.

So, in a nutshell, the modern oil business is an exercise in correctly calculating the cost of extracting a given amount of oil from a given field. The big boys are very good at making these calculations, and part of the reason why, is because they understand how not to overspend... and how not to make billion-dollar mistakes.

"Reasonably profitable" is by definition the threshold between an economically non-viable find, and something worth drilling.

What "Peak Oil fanatics" tend to point out is that the problem is not us running out of oil, the problem is when supply cannot reach demand. Oil will still be in the ground long after we've finished fighting over it because we will eventually reach a point where extracting that oil grants a zero percent net energy return. Scarcity of oil alone is a terrifying prospect for our civilization considering our fuel, electrical energy, and plastics all come from oil and even our mutant agricrops need a petroleum based product to even survive the next season.

"The Big Boys" have been playing a shell game with their oil reserves since the seventies hiding, inflating, and on several occasions doubling reported reserves overnight. And the argument that the problem solves itself because of slow inflation in the oil market is absurd. World demand for oil is increasing exponentially as decades go by and meanwhile we've found little to no oil in the past fifty years. Even if supply falls slightly in relationship to demand it will cause a cascade effect shooting the price up as people hoard. Ask someone who was alive in the seventies if this sounds familiar.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

James Woods posted:

Oil will still be in the ground long after we've finished fighting over it because we will eventually reach a point where extracting that oil grants a zero percent net energy return.

My dream is a solar powered oil derrick.

Blocko
Jul 12, 2008

Spoiler alert: Blood Ravens are actually Hiigarans who got sucked into the warp, were sent back in time to fight in WWII against the Panzer Elite, then stole a nazi time machine to go into the future and save mankind from an army of Lobster-Elephants and other impossible creatures.

Rated R.
Clearly there needs to be a resurgence of woodgas technology.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Blocko posted:

Holy poo poo.

Needs a door so you can smoke moose in it.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Blocko posted:

I assume that's a gassifier? I wonder if he's using the gas in pressurized form to run a diesel engine? I've seen it done to power diesel generators and it would explain the choice in car. That would be kinda neat. Just chuck firewood in the back and you're good to go.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blocko posted:

Wasn't the last kick at it during the Carter years? (For the obvious reasons)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Sponge! posted:

The wheels also seemed to come off too easy, and too flat...

I'm calling Potemkin Pickup on that.

Landcruiser 75/79 series ute, probably so drat rusty it couldnt leave site.

You wouldnt see the engine either- that would be pressed down into the surface of the pit road- those things have HUGE ground pressure on those tyres because of their weight.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
*video of mine dump truck crushing standard truck*

If memory serves there is another thread somewhere where this is explained as a safety training video. My late grandfather used to auction this sort of equipment off and would talk about the cranes brought in to take them away in parts.

One mine site used some sort of crane helicopter to take the bucket a few miles away to another mine/quarry site - it was cheaper and easier on the roads.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

ab0z posted:

As expensive as those things are, you'd think that they would be more careful with them.

I know there was a recovery a few years back at Voiseys Bay (One of the worlds largest mineral finds lately) Labrador of a Cat D11.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterpillar_D11

The operator decided to cross a frozen pond or lake with one as a short cut and drowned as the dozer crashed through the ice about 1/3 of the way across.

It wasn't until spring that Inco was able to recover the tractor and the operator. Given the cost of the massive scale mining equipment, it would be cheaper to recover and rebuild then have insurance buy a new multi-million dollar piece of equipment.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

James Woods posted:

What "Peak Oil fanatics" tend to point out is that the problem is not us running out of oil, the problem is when supply cannot reach demand. Oil will still be in the ground long after we've finished fighting over it because we will eventually reach a point where extracting that oil grants a zero percent net energy return. Scarcity of oil alone is a terrifying prospect for our civilization considering our fuel, electrical energy, and plastics all come from oil and even our mutant agricrops need a petroleum based product to even survive the next season.

"The Big Boys" have been playing a shell game with their oil reserves since the seventies hiding, inflating, and on several occasions doubling reported reserves overnight. And the argument that the problem solves itself because of slow inflation in the oil market is absurd. World demand for oil is increasing exponentially as decades go by and meanwhile we've found little to no oil in the past fifty years. Even if supply falls slightly in relationship to demand it will cause a cascade effect shooting the price up as people hoard. Ask someone who was alive in the seventies if this sounds familiar.

I work in the exploration industry. You're full of poo poo where bolded.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

James Woods posted:

World demand for oil is increasing exponentially as decades go by and meanwhile we've found little to no oil in the past fifty years.

Billions of barrels were found in 2009 alone, take your stupid peak oil poo poo to LF.

efb

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 10, 2010

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
The 300 meters of berm on your left as you were going up that hill was to let you know it was going to turn to the right once you got to the top.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
My Dad changed the oil in our lawnmower for the first time in 20 years.

He said it came out in lumps and had to wait forever for it to drain. :haw: Runs like a champ now.

He was so impressed with it he cut the neighbor's lawn.