Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Unfortunately, if you skip all the quests you miss some pretty decent dialogue. It's usually the ones that are light on gathering or no gathering that have more to them than "got what you wanted. ok thanks. bye."

I haven't found any of the gathering quests hard or very time consuming at all though. Maybe the gardening stuff. Even the stuff that you need to hit the junk heap for. There are so many enemies and it goes so quickly that I found it pretty fun to blaze through there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Quite a lot of quests are worth doing because they're usually well written and often have dialog with them that pretty much corresponds exactly with what you're thinking.

The Runaway Son is probably my favourite, as is the Missing Daughter and its followups.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Megaflare posted:

Unfortunately, if you skip all the quests you miss some pretty decent dialogue. It's usually the ones that are light on gathering or no gathering that have more to them than "got what you wanted. ok thanks. bye."

I haven't found any of the gathering quests hard or very time consuming at all though. Maybe the gardening stuff. Even the stuff that you need to hit the junk heap for. There are so many enemies and it goes so quickly that I found it pretty fun to blaze through there.

Yeah, that is a problem. Just started Part 2 and the Lighthouse Quest was pretty good, and the Missing Son quest was funny as well. It's just honestly not worth possibly grinding for 20 minutes or so for a line or two, and for part 2 I'll have more playthroughs to collect everything over so I don't have to do them all at once.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Ddraig posted:

The Runaway Son is probably my favourite, as is the Missing Daughter and its followups.

Yeah I just did the follow up to this yesterday. It was pretty awesome. Introduces a relatively annoying enemy though!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

UselessLurker posted:

Ending C/D gives you a very, very clear impression of what Black Scrawl really is.

Regarding ending C and D: Is there even more dialogue added as you clear the game again? Or just the decision to be made at the end regarding Kaine?

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Regarding ending C and D: Is there even more dialogue added as you clear the game again? Or just the decision to be made at the end regarding Kaine?

Yeah, there's a lot of dialogue involved in the proceedings. If you mean if there's extra dialogue after beating C and going to D, not really.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

UselessLurker posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of dialogue involved in the proceedings. If you mean if there's extra dialogue after beating C and going to D, not really.

Yea I meant even more dialogue going from an ending B clear game to an ending C clear game.

jannik
Oct 15, 2004

The Biggest Anime
No there isn't anything new on your 3rd/4th playthrough. I sat and watched every scene once again on my 3rd playthrough like an idiot, so you're safe to skip everything until the last 15 minutes basically.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just went up and down the Lost Shrine (3d playthrough with all keys) ten times and not a single earring, watch or forlorn necklace :smith:

I have 14 weapons fully upgraded and I'm NOT giving up now. Why do you hate me, Cavia? :smith:

Still love the game, though. I'd never put myself through this bullshit if I didn't.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 9, 2010

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

jannik posted:

No there isn't anything new on your 3rd/4th playthrough. I sat and watched every scene once again on my 3rd playthrough like an idiot, so you're safe to skip everything until the last 15 minutes basically.

Are C&D really worth getting? My rental is up today, and I either have to power through, which I can do, or just keep it a few days extra

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

jannik posted:

No there isn't anything new on your 3rd/4th playthrough. I sat and watched every scene once again on my 3rd playthrough like an idiot, so you're safe to watch the endings on youtube.

Done and done!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Square-Enix Europe let the cat out of the bag about the new Nier DLC, which comes out in Europe on May 12th (and hopefully around the rest of the world.

It's called The World of Recycled Vessel, based on Nier's late wife who was infected too with Black Scrawl. Nier and Weiss apparently travel through time in 15 different fights in what appears to be a boss rush (as mentioned in the Brady Games guide) and for those who win they'll receive three new weapons and two bonus costume sets for Nier, Emil, and Kaine. This DLC also features a bonus quest where you can apparently fight sheep (good for those who need "The Sheep Whisperer" trophy) and :swoon: new music :swoon:

Now please enjoy this picture of Emil.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Got this through gamestation and it's on its way, it better be good, goons, or I'll pout like there's no tomorrow

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Honest Thief posted:

Got this through gamestation and it's on its way, it better be good, goons, or I'll pout like there's no tomorrow

It's very polarizing, so there's a 50% chance you will love it and a 50% chance you will hate it, which makes you a terrible person.

re: DLC
I'm not that far into the game yet, but the bosses are easily the best part so far (gameplay wise) so a 15 level boss rush sounds loving awesome.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
As I understood it, the Black Scrawl is what happens when a Gestalt breaks down. They then go nuts and loose their mind.

What I didn't understand is Why Popola and Devola help you at all. They're trying to bring back humanity and want to give "real" Nier his body back. The Gestalts were never supposed to be sentient, but they seem to care about Nier right up until the ending, when they abruptly don't. Why would they guide you to the Castle, then say "oh, wait, don't go in"?

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

You didnt mention it and its kind of glossed over in the siliconera article but apparently square is going to let everyone use the younger Nier model from Replicant in the DLC. you know... since theyre travelling through time and all.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Policenaut posted:

Square-Enix Europe let the cat out of the bag about the new Nier DLC, which comes out in Europe on May 12th (and hopefully around the rest of the world.

It's called The World of Recycled Vessel, based on Nier's late wife who was infected too with Black Scrawl. Nier and Weiss apparently travel through time in 15 different fights in what appears to be a boss rush (as mentioned in the Brady Games guide) and for those who win they'll receive three new weapons and two bonus costume sets for Nier, Emil, and Kaine. This DLC also features a bonus quest where you can apparently fight sheep (good for those who need "The Sheep Whisperer" trophy) and :swoon: new music :swoon:

Now please enjoy this picture of Emil.

This is going to be awesome. Looks like Emil found a pair of legs at least :unsmith: Are there any EU Nier fans who wants a share group for the PS3 DLC? I just hope I haven't smashed my PS3 until then. Those god-drat watches and dark pearls :cry:

I have a question to those who have finished the D ending. If I've understood it correctly you will fight a new boss and your save games will be erased. But there's a trophy for beating the last boss quickly! It's pretty much impossible to get a boss trophy if you want to hear the in-battle dialogue and watch the post-fight cutscene. Do you get the prompt for deleting the files AFTER the fight so you have the opportunity to retry the fight if I didn't get the trophy? I'm going for the Platinum, and I'd be pretty sad if I had to beat the game four times again for a shot at the trophy just because I wanted to see everything...

Sure, it wouldn't be as bad as all the farming, especially if I bought the DLC, but still...

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

So does that mean Replicant Nier is the younger version, and Gestalt Nier is what anime heroes look like when they grow up?

That is the greatest thing.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Renoistic posted:

This is going to be awesome. Looks like Emil found a pair of legs at least :unsmith: Are there any EU Nier fans who wants a share group for the PS3 DLC? I just hope I haven't smashed my PS3 until then. Those god-drat watches and dark pearls :cry:

I have a question to those who have finished the D ending. If I've understood it correctly you will fight a new boss and your save games will be erased. But there's a trophy for beating the last boss quickly! It's pretty much impossible to get a boss trophy if you want to hear the in-battle dialogue and watch the post-fight cutscene. Do you get the prompt for deleting the files AFTER the fight so you have the opportunity to retry the fight if I didn't get the trophy? I'm going for the Platinum, and I'd be pretty sad if I had to beat the game four times again for a shot at the trophy just because I wanted to see everything...

Sure, it wouldn't be as bad as all the farming, especially if I bought the DLC, but still...

Hidden technique for getting that last trophy:

You fight the boss before C OR D. Do it and pick Ending C. You can reload your save from the last save point and go ahead and get D right afterwards. :v:

I imagine that the Jap version of the DLC has you running around as 'Old Nier' and busting heads for the sake of some loving thing or other.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

UselessLurker posted:

Hidden technique for getting that last trophy:

You fight the boss before C OR D. Do it and pick Ending C. You can reload your save from the last save point and go ahead and get D right afterwards. :v:

I imagine that the Jap version of the DLC has you running around as 'Old Nier' and busting heads for the sake of some loving thing or other.

Alright, thanks! I just need to upgrade my weapons before erasing all my saves. Cavia are the best trolls.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'm really not sure whether or not the "younger Nier" is really the RepliCant model, I would think that they would refer to the Part 1 Nier which doesn't have an eyepatch and has brighter hair. It would be kinda cool though if it was Mr. Anime though, just for a change of pace.

edit: Also for anyone searching for those god awful annoying Dented Metal Bats and Stopped Clocks, it turns out that in Part 2 the lab beneath Emil's mansion is great for these. You get into the second zone, fight a bunch of little melee Shades then go back into the first zone for a room or two and fight some sword shades for the Stopped Clocks.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 10, 2010

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Policenaut posted:

edit: Also for anyone searching for those god awful annoying Dented Metal Bats and Stopped Clocks, it turns out that in Part 2 the lab beneath Emil's mansion is great for these. You get into the second zone, fight a bunch of little melee Shades then go back into the first zone for a room or two and fight some sword shades for the Stopped Clocks.

Thanks for the tip! We farmers need to help each-other! The fortune teller gauntlet is GREAT for farming materials from shades (like Broken wristwatches, bats, saws), and is actually pretty fun to play, but you need to find all keys before she (and/or her quest) shows up. The roof of the Lost shrine is great for broken earrings

By the way - can you use the books (school book, used coloring book etc.) you find on shades for something or are they just there to drive home the fact that you're slaughtering kids in the thousands?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 10, 2010

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Renoistic posted:

Thanks for the tip! We farmers need to help each-other! The fortune teller gauntlet is GREAT for farming materials from shades (like Broken wristwatches, bats, saws), and is actually pretty fun to play, but you need to find all keys before she (and/or her quest) shows up. The roof of the Lost shrine is great for broken earrings

By the way - can you use the books (school book, used coloring book etc.) you find on shades for something or are they just there to drive home the fact that you're slaughtering kids in the thousands?

You can sell the books. Since you get so many of them, you can get a decent chunk of change. Also, I like how all the shades in the Notrthern Plains have a parent to make sure the kids don't get lost when they're out for their walk

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Cyrai posted:

Also, I like how all the shades in the Notrthern Plains have a parent to make sure the kids don't get lost when they're out for their walk

Haha. I never though of that!

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
http://scrawlfx.com/2010/05/first-nier-dlc-adds-fifteen-new-stages-young-nier

This confirms that the DLC "young Nier" is in fact the Replicant skin. How the hell is this going to work if you have viewed the D ending, though? Do you have to start a brand new game up or something?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

That actually sounds like a pretty great feature-list. As I got the game so cheap (1/3 RRP!), I may well get the DLC off the bat once it arrives.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Anyone have the lyrics transcribed for the ending song sitting around somewhere?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWlCK11qEBg&feature=PlayList&p=99F110C8257BC884&playnext_from=PL&index=21&playnext=5

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Holy hell, The World of Recycled Vessel actually lets us play as RepliCant? Okay I'll buy that.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
Just finished Ending B last night. Seeing as this is the same director as Drakengard (afaik), I was a little surprised that subsequent endings seem to be less about alternate endings, and more about more fleshed out endings (not to mention that the game makes you feel more and more like a horrible human being the more times you play through).

Unsurprisingly, I'm missing a couple weapons to get Ending C (all the Labyrinth weapons, of course), but I'm definitely going to go for them.

I heard rumors that finishing Ending B sometimes nets you the iron pipe in future playthroughs. How true is this? I'd rather not do the side quest for it if I don't have to.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

thetrin posted:

Just finished Ending B last night. Seeing as this is the same director as Drakengard (afaik), I was a little surprised that subsequent endings seem to be less about alternate endings, and more about more fleshed out endings (not to mention that the game makes you feel more and more like a horrible human being the more times you play through).

Unsurprisingly, I'm missing a couple weapons to get Ending C (all the Labyrinth weapons, of course), but I'm definitely going to go for them.

I heard rumors that finishing Ending B sometimes nets you the iron pipe in future playthroughs. How true is this? I'd rather not do the side quest for it if I don't have to.

It's a really, really easy sidequest. The only annoying thing about it is having to backtrack, that and you have to think outside the box a bit to actually get the item you need. Besides, the real reward for the sidequest is being able to fight in the awesome prologue area again. Just make sure you pick up the pipe BEFORE you finish the battle.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Holy hell, The World of Recycled Vessel actually lets us play as RepliCant? Okay I'll buy that.

I'm more interested in the actual content it adds - sounds like it's a fairly sizeable chunk of gameplay. Wonder if they've got more packs like this planned?

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Dominic White posted:

I'm more interested in the actual content it adds - sounds like it's a fairly sizeable chunk of gameplay. Wonder if they've got more packs like this planned?

Am I reading right that this is out tomorrow of the US? Because that would be awesome.

Edit: drat, seems like its just for PAL territories tomorrow.

AllisonByProxy fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 11, 2010

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Dominic White posted:

They finished up Nier awhile ago and immediately went to making DLC for it, so I'd think they would have more than a few packs lined up for us. I'd definitely like to see what new weapons they have in store, if only in hopes to see Caim's Sword return.

The Genocide must continue!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Ending A Can't say I wasn't halfway expecting the whole Devola/Popola are robots bit, but I'm mostly pissed that Nier didn't bother to do one of his fancy finishing moves while the twins were doing their defeat monologue. Emil didn't have to die. :smith: Other than that, it wasn't super mindblowing. Does it get Drakengard crazy in the other endings?

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

tricky posted:

Other than that, it wasn't super mindblowing. Does it get Drakengard crazy in the other endings?

The endings are not Drakengard crazy, they are just incredibly loving depressing.

Rivers
Jan 19, 2007
My saves are cleared so can someone clear this up for me?
Only read if on your 3rd/4th playthrough:

Is my mind playing tricks on me or were there actually 3 books in the reports at the end of the game? Weiss, Noir, and another book? Also I'm confused as to why Devola and Popola would purposely make Nier stronger by having him go on quests, rather than just handing his body over to the shadowlord as soon as possible

@DLC, time has been very unkind to Nier. I guess surviving a post-apocalyptic world will do that to a person. I hate DLC but I'm still going to get it cause I'm a pansy that can't stand up for his beliefs.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

InnercityGriot posted:

The endings are not Drakengard crazy, they are just incredibly loving depressing.

Ah, alright.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Rivers posted:

Is my mind playing tricks on me or were there actually 3 books in the reports at the end of the game? Weiss, Noir, and another book? Also I'm confused as to why Devola and Popola would purposely make Nier stronger by having him go on quests, rather than just handing his body over to the shadowlord as soon as possible

The third book appears early on in the 1st part, I can't exactly remember when you fight it but you definitely do fight that Grimoire as a boss.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Policenaut posted:

The third book appears early on in the 1st part, I can't exactly remember when you fight it but you definitely do fight that Grimoire as a boss.

Yeah. It doesn't say anything and is basically a weaker version of Noir. Likely a prototype of whatever the hell process is used to make Grimoires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

tricky posted:

Ah, alright.

I think in this case it works a little better. The NIER B ending is nothing crazy by itself, it is the buildup and additional story details that lead up to it during the B ending run that makes it so worthwhile. When you finally reach that ending it is more powerful because the development of the story has added a lot of necessary context to make it more interesting. It really adds to the story, unlike the HOLY poo poo GIANT EVIL BABIES OUT OF NOWHERE type stuff in Drakengard.

• Locked thread