Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ziploc posted:

My Dad changed the oil in our lawnmower for the first time in 20 years.

He said it came out in lumps and had to wait forever for it to drain. :haw: Runs like a champ now.

He was so impressed with it he cut the neighbor's lawn.
They were making four-stroke mowers 20 years ago?

Phy fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Phy posted:

Yes.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Phy posted:

They had engines in 1990.

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck

Phy posted:

Pretty sure the mowers we had when I was 7, which was 30 years ago, are just about identical to what we have today, the basic mower hasn't changed hardly at all.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Phy posted:

Are you kidding? Looks like someone hasnt been reading my thread :colbert:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

James Woods posted:

What "Peak Oil fanatics" tend to point out

Others have already jumped on you for the stupidity of this tirade, but I want to make it clear that I am well aware that oil supplies may not keep up with the rising demand. "Peak Oil" is not "everyone who is concerned about the viability of an oil-based world economy". It's a very specific idea that is based on several false or misleading premises, one of which is the misunderstanding, deliberate or not, of what exactly are meant by technical terms such as "proven reserves" when they are used by the oil industry.

The very recent (in the last 10 or 15 years, but especially the last 5) dawn of deep-water drilling has moved enormous quantities of known oil deposits from non-viable to viable, putting them into the reserves category, for example.

Here is a good example from 2007: Brazil's new deepwater find is something approaching 8 billion barrels of oil and gas.

The fossil-fuel economy is almost certainly non-viable long-term for a variety of reasons, but the "Peak Oil" argument isn't one of them.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Ziploc posted:

My Dad changed the oil in our lawnmower for the first time in 20 years.

He said it came out in lumps and had to wait forever for it to drain. :haw: Runs like a champ now.

He was so impressed with it he cut the neighbor's lawn.

I was changing the oil on my motorcycle, when I glanced over at my forlorn looking lawnmower and realized it hadn't had an oil change in 5 years. I drained its oil and replaced it with used motorcycle oil figuring its better than the dust and clumps that were in there previously.

Eh, it still runs.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Phy posted:

Ahahaha gently caress. My parents have an old 4-stroke Bolens mower from the last 70's that even mulches.

EDIT: still runs, just sucks with an 18" width. Takes forever to mow a lawn.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

Hypnolobster posted:

They had engines in 1990.

I just read that and my brain exploded. loving kids, man. Wait until they discover we had artificial light.

I don't have a failure, but I had a momentary 'worry'. Neighbor gave me his old mower to work on/fix as parts since I need one and am a terminal cheapass.

(Closed) garage smelled like gas a few hours later and saw poo poo all over the ground. Neither were related in the slightest, but I was getting ready to haul it outside. :v:

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Is this the Astra that was done over by that OCD detailer who polished and waxed hose clamps?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Grimster posted:

Pretty sure the mowers we had when I was 7, which was 30 years ago, are just about identical to what we have today, the basic mower hasn't changed hardly at all.

Aside from a few new plastic bits (:argh:) and a decal change a quick glance at Toro's web site shows me a mower that seems to be the exact same one my family had when I first started noticing such things in the late '80s, which was also the same model we replaced it with when the old one's transmission gave out in the mid to late '90s. Three neighbors and one set of grandparents also had the exact same model (one neighbor had the electric start model, I was always envious because at age 10 I was terrible at pull starting).

I guess there really hasn't been anything new to see in the walk-behind mower world once self-propel became a fairly standard feature. I'd bet the motor is a bit different for emissions purposes, but there's otherwise no good reason for the platform the change.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Is this the Astra that was done over by that OCD detailer who polished and waxed hose clamps?

Looks like it was one of them, yeah. It'll... buff out? :v:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

ssh posted:

I just read that and my brain exploded. loving kids, man. Wait until they discover we had artificial light.

I graduated high school in 1990. My oldest son turns 19 in September. I hear Guns 'N' Roses, Whitesnake, etc. on the local "Classic Rock" station. :smith:

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Bucephalus posted:

I graduated high school in 1990. My oldest son turns 19 in September. I hear Guns 'N' Roses, Whitesnake, etc. on the local "Classic Rock" station. :smith:

Its a hard journey indeed. I'm only 24 but its funny to hear poo poo I grew up with referred to as old.

Hell I'm a "classic car" by age myself soon, at least in PA.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Bucephalus posted:

that doesn't bother me, at least not as much as the time i heard "smells like teen spirit" on the local adult contemporary station :smithicide:

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

deviant. posted:

that doesn't bother me, at least not as much as the time i heard "smells like teen spirit" on the local adult contemporary station :smithicide:

I'd be more worried about listening to the adult contemporary station.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Toucan Sam posted:

I'd be more worried about listening to the adult contemporary station.

yeah, because they totally aren't forced on you in every office in this blighted land

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Everyone posted:

Phy posted:

Yes, you dumbass

Huh. My folks had a two-stroke for the longest time and I'm pretty sure the ones I used doing landscaping one summer ran on premix. Learn somethin' new every day.

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

Phy posted:

Yes, you dumbass

Huh. My folks had a two-stroke for the longest time and I'm pretty sure the ones I used doing landscaping one summer ran on premix. Learn somethin' new every day.
[/quote]

You can't run small 4-strokes on steep hills for very long. The oil sloshes to one end of the crankcase and you get lube failure. I remember buying a LawnBoy lawnmower (2 stroke) as our old house had a steep front yard that claimed many 4 strokes.

Battle Bott
May 6, 2007

I made a floating water pump out of an old briggs and stratton lawnmower engine, and used it a few times. I got tired with it, and stored it upside down in the rain for 2 years. I wanted to see if it stilll ran, so I filled a wheelbarrow with water, and stuck it in. It started on the second try, and ran just fine. I noticed that all of the water drops hit it they instantly boiled, and turned it off. Turns out all of the oil had drained, and it didn't have any left. Oopsdoesn't matter though, I gave it some old motor oil, and it still ran just fine. Lawnmower engines just keep working.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Gas mowers are ecological terrerism man! I've been using one of these since high school!

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

Jonny Nox posted:

Gas mowers are ecological terrerism man! I've been using one of these since high school!

What since 1962?

If I could find a good cheap reel Id rock one out.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma

Jonny Nox posted:

level 5? Do you pocket mulch?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

ExtremeODD posted:

What since 1962?

If I could find a good cheap reel Id rock one out.

You can still buy them for around $100 but sharpening them costs about that or more when it needs it.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Pipkin posted:

You can still buy them for around $100 but sharpening them costs about that or more when it needs it.

At work we've got a little tiny briggs powered Eclipse reel mower. I got it running last year with about 10 minutes of work. :smug:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hypnolobster posted:

At work we've got a little tiny briggs powered Eclipse reel mower. I got it running last year with about 10 minutes of work. :smug:

Now there's something to be surprised about. I had no idea powered reel mowers existed since they seem like they'd be much more complicated than the standard walk behind mower design we're used to now.

While reading about these things I found a lot of people claiming reel mowers cut better than modern spinning blade designs (shearing versus tearing the grass or something like that). Anyone know if this has any basis in reality or is it just the all too common issue of nostalgia-clouded judgment?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

wolrah posted:

Now there's something to be surprised about. I had no idea powered reel mowers existed since they seem like they'd be much more complicated than the standard walk behind mower design we're used to now.

While reading about these things I found a lot of people claiming reel mowers cut better than modern spinning blade designs (shearing versus tearing the grass or something like that). Anyone know if this has any basis in reality or is it just the all too common issue of nostalgia-clouded judgment?

There's probably a reason the grounds keepers at professional stadiums and ballparks all use reel mowers.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

The thing that sucks about reel mowers is if you don't mow often enough and let your grass get too high, it can't cut the higher stuff, rendering it useless. Needless to say I don't mow regularly enough.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Reel mowers are incredible, especially Locke reels :flashfap: (as they say on their site, used at the white house, yankee stadium, etc)

It sounds like we need a lawn/garden tool thread!

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
Getting back on track... Apparently ford windstars have a thing for snapping twist beams.
Not as horrible looking as pulverized pistons and rods but still :psyduck:.

Skeletard
Dec 21, 2004

wolrah posted:

I've worked on a golf course for a few summers and I know that everything except the rough was cut with a reel mower, be it a ride on one or a powered, walk-behind unit. With reel mowers there's the spinning reel part, and a stationary bed-knife towards the rear of the reel, the two work in tandem to cut like a pair of scissors and give a cleaner cut than the horizontal-blade sort.

Dr. Moose
Nov 22, 2008
I don't know the story behind this, a friend sent me the pics.

This is from a Ford van that came in for a noise. I thought it was the bearing until i pressed the CV joint out of the hub and the splinded part of the hub fell out in pieces..

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Real Life posted:

It sounds like we need a lawn/garden tool thread!

Lawn and garden equipment chat is welcome here.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Phy posted:

Lawn Boy was the only company making two-stroke lawn mowers to my knowledge. They were forced to stop for the '04 MY due to new EPA regulations. They switched to Tecumseh for a few years, and are now rocking the bottom end Hondas. It's too bad Lawn Boy went from quirky as gently caress unique mowers to Toro's big box store poo poo brand.

Pretty much, if you want a walk behind mower, you should either buy a $60 shitbox special and only fill it with gas until the first time it doesn't start OR buy a Toro Super Recycler. There's no reason to buy a mower in between those price ranges. There's mowers better than the Super Recycler, but equipment like that is really only necessary for true commercial uses.

That said, I use a sealed lead acid powered electric mower. Except for the lack of self propel, it's the best walk behind ever. Of all time.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Slack3r posted:

You can't run small 4-strokes on steep hills for very long. The oil sloshes to one end of the crankcase and you get lube failure. I remember buying a LawnBoy lawnmower (2 stroke) as our old house had a steep front yard that claimed many 4 strokes.
You must have a place that even mountain goats find hard, cos I live on the side of a hill, on a slope, and only used 4 strokes. The reason they have usually died is rust in the base plates or snapping handles.

SGNL06
May 6, 2004

They're goin' home! They're goin' home!
couple more random trainpics:

And finally...HELLTRAIN

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh
If I saw that thing coming at me, I wouldn't even try to run. I'd just slit my wrists and let it take me to the burning pits of hell and damnation.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That looks like something from a movie, seriously.

Edit: Probably a Final Destination movie, or something with Bruce Willis.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Wasn't it Steven Seagal who made a train movie?..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Godholio posted:

That looks like something from a movie, seriously.

Edit: Probably a Final Destination movie, or something with Bruce Willis.
War of the Worlds