Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Last night Alan Belcher set up a rear naked choke by using the DIAMOND DALLAS PANCAKE. I marked out. Pride Never Die, WCW Never Die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Jerusalem posted:

All the rocks and smoke constantly obscuring his ankles was a health and safety nightmare too.

:golfclap:

Critical posted:

Rumor was it was an "On the Bubble" Battle Royal and management wanted Juvi to go over. Arn Anderson pulled the participants together and told them the booking and those who were eliminated would lose their jobs. The collective question was "Is this for real?" and Arn replied "I don't know."

Everyone eliminated was gone within 6 months I think it was.

From what I remember from reading the Observer quotes thread, Chavo was chosen to go over, but otherwise that's about how it played out.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Marcade posted:

From what I remember from reading the Observer quotes thread, Chavo was chosen to go over, but otherwise that's about how it played out.

Ohhhhhhh, Chavo.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I wonder; if someone just said "gently caress it" and shoot-threw the intended winner over the top, would the bookers be so out of touch that they would keep him on and fire the rest?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It was Vince Russo, so he'd probably turn it into an angle.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

It was Vince Russo, so he'd probably turn it into an angle.

This is absolutely right. There would have been a three week long feud between Chavo and the winner, where the announcers infer to Chavo being booked to win but the winner going into business for himself without flatout saying it, and then the angle would be dropped without warning.

Salt In The Wound
Oct 25, 2005

Hand Jobber Extraordinare

CVagts posted:

This is absolutely right. There would have been a three week long feud between Chavo and the winner, where the announcers infer to Chavo being booked to win but the winner going into business for himself without flatout saying it, and then the angle would be dropped without warning.

And both people would probably be fired.

Or become a tag team.

TylerReksNEffect
Dec 24, 2005

HARD GAY

CVagts posted:

No, wait. It would culminate in a match where there are four boxes...

Chavo Guerrero - Knockouts Champion

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Did none of you even read Regal's book? Christ you fags, it's a great read!

He was ashamed of what he did in that Goldberg match, and describes himself as having been drugged out of his mind and in terrible physical shape. He was heavily addicted to pain killers at the time.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Wendell posted:

describes himself as having been drugged out of his mind and in terrible physical shape. He was heavily addicted to pain killers at the time.

None of that surprises me, given that he went to WWF after that, then to rehab, then I think back to WCW. My memory is quite hazy.

I did manage to find the Goldberg/Regal match on Youtube a while back. It was quite good for a rookie Goldberg match, but within the context of his push, it made very little sense.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CVagts posted:

None of that surprises me, given that he went to WWF after that, then to rehab, then I think back to WCW. My memory is quite hazy.
He went to rehab after WCW, then got back in shape and had the match of the night with Benoit at the Brian Pillman memorial show, then WWF hired him and he's been there ever since.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I believe it goes:
WCW (Goldberg incident)
WWF ("Man's Man"; drugs)
rehab
WCW for a short and forgettable time
Pillman Memorial match
WWF til today.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Can anyone tell me why that bout between Booker T and Jeff Jarrett for the World title in which they fought over four boxes, each on a pole, was called a "San Fransisco 49ers Match"?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Can anyone tell me why that bout between Booker T and Jeff Jarrett for the World title in which they fought over four boxes, each on a pole, was called a "San Fransisco 49ers Match"?

It was...in...San Francisco? v:shobon:v

I'm not saying that to be a dick, either, because it doesn't make a bit of sense and that's the only tie the match name has to the concept.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

I believe it goes:
WCW (Goldberg incident)
WWF ("Man's Man"; drugs)
rehab
WCW for a short and forgettable time
Pillman Memorial match
WWF til today.
Man's man was before the Goldberg incident. Regal was only in WCW once.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Man's man was before the Goldberg incident. Regal was only in WCW once.

No, he was in WCW twice. He went back to WCW briefly in 1999-2000.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CVagts posted:

No, he was in WCW twice. He went back to WCW briefly in 1999-2000.
Then how was he in WWF at the time, feuding with Jericho?

Edit: To be clear, I'm not doubting your claim. I'm just looking to refresh my memory.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Then how was he in WWF at the time, feuding with Jericho?

Edit: To be clear, I'm not doubting your claim. I'm just looking to refresh my memory.

He was in WCW from 1992 until the Goldberg incident, which I believe was early 1998, January-April 1998. Then he got canned and went to WWF. He was in WWF for a short period, went to rehab and got fired in 1999, then went back to WCW until he lost a loser-leaves-town match to Jim Duggan on WCW Saturday Night. Then he ended up in WWF again.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Because

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

TL posted:

Because

I love that that photo is from mid-match, even though it looks like Stevie Ray is presenting a photo on QVC.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

DeclaredYuppie posted:

I love that that photo is from mid-match, even though it looks like Stevie Ray is presenting a photo on QVC.

racist

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

TL posted:

Because

Hall NEEDS to pull a poster of this screenshot out of a box during a match some time before he dies (while making the face in the portrait).

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.

They kept talking about "digging to find the gold" so I can only assume they were equating opening 4 boxes hanging from poles with sifting dirt for hours on end after month-long journeys in the 1840s, then tying it in with the football team, thus making it a San Francisco 49ers Match.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Pneub posted:

Hall NEEDS to pull a poster of this screenshot out of a box during a match some time before he dies (while making the face in the portrait).

Wrestlehut would explode.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Raeg posted:

racist

I'm sure I've read Booker T's name a dozen times in association w/ this match, and I just don't remember him ever looking that big. I mean in short yes, you got me. Ooga-booga black people drive like this.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I seem to remember that framed photo of Scott Hall getting the biggest pop of the night.

I also remember the idiot referee counting every time Booker and Jarrett left the ring, even though it doesn't make sense, with the boxes still on the poles. I was begging for a double count-out, just to see what they would have done about it.

And it's too bad Russo wasn't quick enough to realize that Dave Penzer should have become champion that night, considering he was the first one to pick up the belt after it fell out of the box.

Coffey
Sep 9, 2003

by T. Finn
What was the name of the blond chick that WCW had doing backstage interviews during 2000? Scott Steiner used to always flirt with her.

Here

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pamela Paushock.

Coffey
Sep 9, 2003

by T. Finn
I thought that's who it was, but I wasn't sure. A friend and I were arguing over it but when I Googled her, it didn't look like the same person.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Buff Bagwell was the guest on today's Figure 4 Daily. Buff was REALLY drunk during this interview and Bryan did not seem very happy about this interview. So if you have a WO/F4W subscription and want to hear Buff make an rear end of himself for 20 minutes, check it out.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

Buff Bagwell was the guest on today's Figure 4 Daily. Buff was REALLY drunk during this interview and Bryan did not seem very happy about this interview. So if you have a WO/F4W subscription and want to hear Buff make an rear end of himself for 20 minutes, check it out.

That guy is never going to get his poo poo together, is he?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

CM Junk posted:

Wrestlehut would explode.

I would blow my brains out, my life's goal fulfilled.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Quick, someone find out the next time Booker T does an autograph session.

Or better yet, we need to find out how much Booker T costs for a wrestling show.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Mr. Carlisle posted:

That guy is never going to get his poo poo together, is he?
Sunny and Buff Bagwell happened to make special appearances at the sports bar I was at to watch WrestleMania XXIV, and yes, Buff was loaded.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Does anyone have the link to that thread in which everyone posted as if WCW won the war?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Does anyone have the link to that thread in which everyone posted as if WCW won the war?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3174112

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

You're the man.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Aww, Archives :(

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Someone on THE BOARD posted a bunch of Dungeon of Doom videos, so... enjoy!

COME TO ME MY SON
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR4XCZFMxzc

THE GOBLET OF DARKNESS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGH7V-Xksgg

FATHER, I'M LOOKING INTO THE SEA AND I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40lGayOOyTI

MORE?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INwk4GTT3Qw

YETI??????
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE5jxdXoLaY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
This pissed me off so much. I wanted Hogan to be more like a pro wrestler, and he immediately turned WCW into sports entertainment.