Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

CornHolio posted:

What do you guys think of the new Borknagar?

I've listened to it one and a half times, and I really like it. I always like their stuff, so it's no surprise to me. I loved Epic and this is definitely in the same vein, though mellower.

I'm mixed, honestly.

I find the sound really good - I like the heaviness of it all, and the 'wall of sound' effect works well. It doesn't sound sterile or over produced like 'Epic' did. I also like the return of Jan and Tyr into the fold; the bass is a lot stronger and more audible. I also like the vocals, despite Vintersorg sounding a bit strained at times. At least it doesn't sound forced.

However, some of the songwriting seems 'half finished', like they were constantly distracted, and they lost their train of thought when writing (which, to be fair, this isn't a full time gig for the band, so this is understandable). Other songs sound too busy. 'Fleshflower' would have been excellent if it was twice as long, but the way it is now, it's just not enough awesome from Lars. So, not very many of the songs stick in my head like they did with earlier releases.

I think that Dave, the new drummer is good and rough sounding, but again, it sounds like something's missing, and I can't put my finger on it. OTOH, while I feel that Asgeir is the stronger drummer, I don't know if his style would have mixed as well with the music. And I miss his catty comments on the Borky forum :3:

One minor plus is that the place I ordered it from had a CD+t-shirt 'bundle'; Borknagar t-shirts are hard to come by anyways, and this shirt had a very simple, clean design which I love (the dragon on the front, the band logo on the back, and nothing else.) So I forgoed the box set (complete with Borknagar necklace :wtc: ) to order that instead, and I'm happy with my choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
Just started listening to early Arckanum, I have been missing out ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWr1NM-KNv4

I really dont grasp music too quickly, this is probably the first new band ive taken to in months. Even their newer stuff sounds pretty good, but Im just sucking in the old stuff first.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Thanks to whoever recommended Koldbrann a long time ago, I'm just listening to the album Moribund and really liking it. It's got a great vibe, just a bunch of people playing some loving metal.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Strangely enough, I would recommend the new Twilight album to fans of Borknagar. It's very epic and experimental for black metal.

Horrorca
Mar 24, 2010

catbread.jpg posted:

Strangely enough, I would recommend the new Twilight album to fans of Borknagar. It's very epic and experimental for black metal.

Even though I thought the debut was nothing special, I've been thinking on buying the new one... I've read there’s sludgy ISIS-like riffing (courtesy of Aaron Turner himself). I'm curious as to how it works in conjunction with black metal.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

catbread.jpg posted:

I may have to check that out - thanks for the tip!

:black101::hf::black101:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I'll be checking that out as well.

Also, 'My Domain' on the new Borknagar is loving fantastic. I'm a huge nerd for ICS's vocals (which is why I adore The Archaic Course even though nobody else seems to) so maybe that's why.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Plasma1010 posted:

Just started listening to early Arckanum, I have been missing out ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWr1NM-KNv4

I really dont grasp music too quickly, this is probably the first new band ive taken to in months. Even their newer stuff sounds pretty good, but Im just sucking in the old stuff first.

Arckanum are a superb band through and through. The newer stuff's definitely worth looking into as well when you get round to it.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

CornHolio posted:

Yeah I'll be checking that out as well.

Also, 'My Domain' on the new Borknagar is loving fantastic. I'm a huge nerd for ICS's vocals (which is why I adore The Archaic Course even though nobody else seems to) so maybe that's why.

The Archaic Course is their best album by far. "Universal" is such a loving killer track, the drummer really shines on that song. I'm a ICS Vortex fanboy too, so...uh...that makes two of us!

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
drat how did I miss the new 1349 album being out. Luckily it's on spotify

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
Shame it's boring and terrible backpeddling aimed at placating the howling mob QQing over Revelations having actual ideas

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Caucasus Belli posted:

Shame it's boring and terrible backpeddling aimed at placating the howling mob QQing over Revelations having actual ideas

Yeah kind of what I was thinking. Sounds like they wanted to stick with the style of Revelations but spiced it up to appeal to the criticism. Ill give it a few more listens but I dont think Im getting too into it.

Just started Peste on La Sanie Des Siecles, what does someone suggest is next ?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

catbread.jpg posted:

Can't seem to find this. A little help?

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

Plasma1010 posted:

Yeah kind of what I was thinking. Sounds like they wanted to stick with the style of Revelations but spiced it up to appeal to the criticism. Ill give it a few more listens but I dont think Im getting too into it.

Folkfuck Folie I guess, cause the latest full-length is a bit of a departure. If you just can't get enough, Macabre Transcendence and Lorraine Rehearsal have some earlier takes on the same tracks.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
God, Cryptic Wintermoon, why couldn't you be better? A WW1-themed black metal album should technically be my favourite thing in the world but ugh, Fear barely scrapes moderately enjoyable with all the meloblack crap it has going on.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Plasma1010 posted:

The demos really, everything that's followed La Sanie has been disappointing, and it in its own way was a bit of a let down after the demos.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
I don't really agree. Ballade cuntre lo Anemi Francor grew immensely on me. I hated it the first four or so playthroughs, now I think it's their second best full length.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
What is everyone's thoughts on Tim Yeung doing drums on the new Morbid Angel?

Also the fact there are gonna be quite a few electronic songs on the new album, with a few blast beats here and there.

EDIT: Wrong thread, gently caress

deltawing fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 6, 2010

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

I don't know if anyone noticed, but Keep of Kalessin has a couple new tracks that aren't that hideous Eurovision song up on their myspace.

So far, I'm kinda digging it. It's most definitely not Armada, but it's not bad.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 6, 2010

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
I quite like that Dragontower song. :( Also I am re-reading the Earthsea books and have just got to the first mention of Kalessin's keep, while the dark rune Agnen has also made an appearance...

I have ordered this comp:

Took ages to work out how to order it but I think it will be worth it. I can't wait for it to arrive! Agalloch, Fen, Enmerkar, Kehrä, Oskoreien, October Falls, oh yes.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I quite like that Dragontower song. :(

You are also a big Eurovision fan so I guess it makes sense.

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Took ages to work out how to order it but I think it will be worth it. I can't wait for it to arrive! Agalloch, Fen, Enmerkar, Kehrä, Oskoreien, October Falls, oh yes.

Duhhhhhh I am a complete moron for not connecting the painting to the WITTR song title.

NATO
Aug 3, 2009

by Lowtax

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I quite like that Dragontower song. :( Also I am re-reading the Earthsea books and have just got to the first mention of Kalessin's keep, while the dark rune Agnen has also made an appearance...

That looks pretty interesting. I'm listening to Wandar right now and it's excellent so far.

NATO fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 6, 2010

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

re-reading the Earthsea books

How are they on re-read? It's been years for me and I think I'd appreciate them more now than I did when I first read them.

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

That looks sweet as gently caress

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
A friend just passed this on to me. Some pretty good black metal from Calgary of all places. Check out To Cleanse a World of Shadow.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
Alatyr from Slovakia, totally stumbled upon them by accident ... apparently they only have made one album self titled released in 2007, but if you like the ambient - BM stuff they caught my ear ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb_o8l7Uc_U&feature=related

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Alatyr is pretty lol, if you can deal with the programmed drums they are cool.

Lately I've been getting into so-called RABM, including artists such as Panopticon and Lake of Blood. Panopticon has a concept album about the demise of the US, featuring funky bluegrass sections, post-rock guitars and some vicious drumming.

Lake of Blood has lots of rather cheeky Taake-like riffing with a Cascadian aesthetic. Recommended!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

catbread.jpg posted:

Alatyr is pretty lol, if you can deal with the programmed drums they are cool.

Lately I've been getting into so-called RABM, including artists such as Panopticon and Lake of Blood. Panopticon has a concept album about the demise of the US, featuring funky bluegrass sections, post-rock guitars and some vicious drumming.

Lake of Blood has lots of rather cheeky Taake-like riffing with a Cascadian aesthetic. Recommended!

I'm suprised I haven't heard of RABM before, considering all the other styles of black metal. Will check those bands out.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I'm suprised I haven't heard of RABM before, considering all the other styles of black metal. Will check those bands out.

Ditto. Seems pretty interesting, if nothing else. Thanks!

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

After about 4-5 spins of that new Nachtmystium track I've decided that I unironically enjoy it. I really can't wait for the new album to come out.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

lordblytzkrieg posted:

After about 4-5 spins of that new Nachtmystium track I've decided that I unironically enjoy it. I really can't wait for the new album to come out.

I've heard the whole thing, and while it doesn't have as many really excellent moments as the first Black Meddle, it's an overall more solid album, I really enjoyed it.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

gently caress me, Esoteric. The band was really mashed, the venue had no airconditioning whatsoever and someone was letting rip with the most horrible farts throughout.

At least the sound was decent.

edit: ungh wrong thread i guess

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 16, 2010

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hello black metal thread. I'm hoping one of you can help me out here. I've looked all over google for lyrics to Black Stained Dusk's album Black Faith Inquisition. I can't find them anywhere. Any help?

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Volume posted:

Hello black metal thread. I'm hoping one of you can help me out here. I've looked all over google for lyrics to Black Stained Dusk's album Black Faith Inquisition. I can't find them anywhere. Any help?

If you can't find them anywhere you could always try sending them a message through myspace or an email. It has worked for me in the past.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

lordblytzkrieg posted:

If you can't find them anywhere you could always try sending them a message through myspace or an email. It has worked for me in the past.

That's a great idea. Thank you.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Until the Light Takes Us is being released on DVD this September. Looks like there will be a couple of different versions with special features, including a 45 minute history of metal with Fenriz. More info here:

http://www.factorytwentyfive.com/until-the-light-takes-us/

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Not Very Metal posted:

Until the Light Takes Us is being released on DVD this September. Looks like there will be a couple of different versions with special features, including a 45 minute history of metal with Fenriz. More info here:

Speaking of which, for those who were a fan of the Trapped Under Vice Vol. I-III from Fenriz (DJ V.K.O.M.), has posted a new mix album of tunes with Sindre Solem from Obliteration. It's an "Epic Metal" theme this time, but features a Bad Religion track?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I've been making my way through this thread and seen people post about Sigh. What do people think about their new album Scenes From Hell?

I hated it at first but it's grown on me over the months. I dislike that the vocals are mixed into the background and the symphony can be kind of over bearing at times. Like in L'art de Mourir during the chorus, I feel like I should be dancing a jig.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

I think Scenes From Hell is pretty darn good, and I think they get away with the classical instrumentation without appearing pretentious or lame. Not all the songs are excellent, but some of them (The Red Funeral, The Summer Funeral) are among Sigh's best, in my opinion. I like it a lot better than Hangman's Hymns, which I found slightly disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
New Keep of Kalessin is phenomenal!

My blog has been revived! I'm taking requests for reviews.

http://eyehatehaggard.blogspot.com/