Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

crime fighting hog posted:

Any thoughts?

Looking good. Get your toys yet? :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Sole.Sushi posted:

Looking good. Get your toys yet? :respek:

oh yeah I got them in two days! They're all sitting in the counter, waiting in line

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti

Click here for the full 1296x1728 image.

Sorry for the lovely pictures, but I dont have a light box setup, All I had was my phone available. The skull on the helmet is nowhere near that bright, and a few spots look like they are missing pain on the legs, but I highlighted with a dark grey. From these horrible pictures can anyone offer any advice besides take better photos? This was my first go at painting.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Drumstick posted:

Sorry for the lovely pictures, but I dont have a light box setup, All I had was my phone available. The skull on the helmet is nowhere near that bright, and a few spots look like they are missing pain on the legs, but I highlighted with a dark grey. From these horrible pictures can anyone offer any advice besides take better photos? This was my first go at painting.

It's a nice start. The backpack's gold could use more coats. Metal always looks better when you darken it a bit

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

PaintVagrant posted:

Like this?

Actually, just like this. I was thinking about addressing this question directly to you, but I wanted to see what other people thought. But now that the great and baleful eye of PV is upon me, how did you do this guy's coat?

Also, MaliciousOnion, thanks for the link and the color ideas. The guy on dakkadakka had some good ideas, and I think what I'm gonna do is going to be pretty close to what he did. However, Grey Death was all over that thread and that guy is a gigantic tool. Once I get my models in the mail, I will regularly be updating you guys with the work on my Steel Legion.

PV please answer my question because i want you inside of me

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Not sure PV did this one. I think he just has a boner for it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Nah, that one is PV's, all right.

http://www.paintvagrant.com/?page_id=21

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Drumstick posted:

Did you prime the model? Why is the model's tag still grey?

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
yeah, I primed white, I ignored it because im going to base over it. Thanks for the color suggestions Ill go over them a bit darker.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Oh, good, I just thought it was kind of odd you'd have missed the tag; I couldn't miss a the base if I tried.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Drumstick posted:

Looking good, I'd add a final edge highlight to the armor plates, probably bleached bone/white

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

Welp, those star wars models pretty much sealed it. I'll be picking my brush back up in the very near future. Ugh they're pricey and I have next to no use for them but...them's the breaks. I reallllly want that Han Solo 70mm, but that's a little way too expensive.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Drumstick posted:

yeah, I primed white, I ignored it because im going to base over it. Thanks for the color suggestions Ill go over them a bit darker.

Did you prime it white or paint it white? There is an important difference between primer and regular paint. Also, I think your scheme would really benefit from a brighter colour somewhere. Right now it's a lot of drab colours and doesn't really stand out.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Got bored and inventoried my space barbie supplies. What should be my next purchase besides plasticard and PV's bling kit?

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
Glue?

You've got way more stuff than I do, and I manage just fine.

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

djfooboo posted:

Got bored and inventoried my space barbie supplies. What should be my next purchase besides plasticard and PV's bling kit?

Yeah I think you're all set. There comes a time when you just don't need anymore stuff. Now go buy those Star Wars models and make them look awesome!!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

ElSeñorPeePants posted:

Actually, just like this. I was thinking about addressing this question directly to you, but I wanted to see what other people thought. But now that the great and baleful eye of PV is upon me, how did you do this guy's coat?

Also, MaliciousOnion, thanks for the link and the color ideas. The guy on dakkadakka had some good ideas, and I think what I'm gonna do is going to be pretty close to what he did. However, Grey Death was all over that thread and that guy is a gigantic tool. Once I get my models in the mail, I will regularly be updating you guys with the work on my Steel Legion.

PV please answer my question because i want you inside of me

I cant remember the actual VMC color, its basically yellow ochre (i think) plus devlan mud wash, then a highlight of that same color. Super fast.

VMC takes washes like a champ, its got lots of tooth. Just make sure to varnish asap, its fragile.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

djfooboo posted:

Are those...googly eyes at the top? :q:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Cakefool posted:

Can someone tell me what the differences are between the different milliput types apart from colour?

Anyone?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Cakefool posted:

Anyone?

Consistency. The whitest is the finest, iirc. The terracota is more like modelling clay.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
:frogsiren:MY STOCK IS IN! :frogsiren:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3304041

(https://www.paintvagrant.com

:siren: Shipping is always just $4.99! (US) :siren:
($6.99 to Canada)

Products now available
Death Company bitz
SM commander bitz
Plasticard kits
Basing material kits
p3, Vallejo Game Color, and Vallejo Model Color paints
Vallejo pigments
Army painter tools, like knives, files, pin vices, cutters, etc.
Palettes

And a special goon discount on top of my low prices!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Anyone, what's a good scheme for dead skin for these guys?

How do I get that skin tone? Grey and light flesh?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

It's probably what you have there.

What happened to your avatar? Did the tree marine die?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Sole.Sushi posted:

Looks like some kind of greenish gray with some brown wash and highlights of the base coat? Also, what happened to your avatar dude?

I don't know. SA seems to be making GBS threads out on me, I couldn't read your post until I quoted it and other's avatars aren't showing up.

oh shi-

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

I don't know. SA seems to be making GBS threads out on me, I couldn't read your post until I quoted it and other's avatars aren't showing up.

oh shi-

Yeah, it's happening to me too.

Secret post time! :dance:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

oh shi-

same here, can't read your post

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

MasterSlowPoke posted:

same here, can't read your post

oh jesus I can't read anything until I quote what fresh hell is this

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

oh jesus I can't read anything until I quote what fresh hell is this

I can see stuff now, but our avatars are gone. :cry:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I'm scared. Someone hold me.

PV, nice update on the site. Gonna gets me some stuff this weekend. :D
On a related note, how hard do you think it would be to pry superglued models off of their bases? I'm looking at Bartertown for some cheap stuff that is unfortunately prebuilt, but I still wanna base them with the bling kit.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I'm scared. Someone hold me.

PV, nice update on the site. Gonna gets me some stuff this weekend. :D
On a related note, how hard do you think it would be to pry superglued models off of their bases? I'm looking at Bartertown for some cheap stuff that is unfortunately prebuilt, but I still wanna base them with the bling kit.

throw them in the freezer for a couple of hours. It makes superglue really brittle and should help. careful not to cut the poo poo outta your fingers

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

throw them in the freezer for a couple of hours. It makes superglue really brittle and should help. careful not to cut the poo poo outta your fingers

And don't forget to let it thaw completely before you try to snap anything off or you'll murder your model.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Whats a good putty to use for filling in seams? I have some green stuff, but would rather use something that has a consistency more like peanut butter. An online source would be good since I live in a small farm town and my local feed and seed store doesn't carry much in the way of modeling supplies.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

SkunkDuster posted:

Whats a good putty to use for filling in seams? I have some green stuff, but would rather use something that has a consistency more like peanut butter. An online source would be good since I live in a small farm town and my local feed and seed store doesn't carry much in the way of modeling supplies.

You can use super glue and sprinkle baking soda on it. Quick, cheap, and you can file it.

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax
do you guys wash prior to fixing mistakes in the basecoat or do you fix all the mistakes and then wash?

I've been doing the latter, but I have a suspicion that if you do the former the wash will cover up a ton of mistakes and save you time.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

SkunkDuster posted:

I've heard good things about squadron green putty, but model shops sell a variety - they're basically like sprue & glue mixed into a paste, smear it on, dry, sand & file.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Fix posted:

You can use super glue and sprinkle baking soda on it. Quick, cheap, and you can file it.

for some reason I read this as "...and you can lick it"

not entirely sure why

Cakefool posted:

I've heard good things about squadron green putty, but model shops sell a variety - they're basically like sprue & glue mixed into a paste, smear it on, dry, sand & file.

I saw a tube of that way way waaaay back when my dad used to model airfix kits (probably the sole reason I've got such a hard on for modelling and whatnot, old chip off the block or something.. or it might have been the fumes from the enamels drawing me in, who knows) and I always figured it was the consistency of toothpaste, given that it was in a similar tube. Always meant to pick up a tube to try out but never got around to it.

(on a side note, my dad gave up painting donkeys years ago but now he's gotten the bug again and is painting crazy nazi boats or something)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

enri posted:

for some reason I read this as "...and you can lick it"

not entirely sure why
It's because you were reading my mind, maaan.

Has anyone ever tried doing gap filling with actual toothpaste? Like you would for filling nail holes in your walls?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Fix posted:

It's because you were reading my mind, maaan.

Has anyone ever tried doing gap filling with actual toothpaste? Like you would for filling nail holes in your walls?

I hope you've not been brushing your teeth with polyfilla :psyduck:

In a nutshell, no, but only because I didn't even realise people used toothpaste to fill nail holes in their walls. I have used polyfilla on a model (and used some on my diorama-rama entry!)

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Finally finished my M1917 water-cooled machine gun platoon for Flames of War. Well, except the bazookas, which I don't have yet. Backlog -1 !

Ratatatatatatatat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax
in color theory, what color would have the best contrast with iyanden darksun?

red, purple, blue, turquoise, green? I'm stumped.

• Locked thread