Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

mushi posted:

It sucks just as much the second time.

It really didn't at all, but you have to take the second one quick enough so you don't have to take the MBE and can transfer your original score. Some states have time limits on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

HiddenReplaced posted:

10-8, I thought you were lying about how awesome your job was. Now that I'm working for an agency I have come to realize that you were downplaying it so we wouldn't kill you and wear your skin.

I downplay how good my job is all the time for all of you.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Anyone have good conlaw flowcharts?

I need Due Process, Federal Legislative Power (Commerce, Tenth Amendment, Taxing and Spending, 13th, 14th, 15th Amendments), Dormant Commerce Clause, and Federal Executive Power.

gently caress this gay earth.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
It's always heartening to watch opposing counsel take their client to the cleaners.

Today I got to waste over half an hour for a pointless hearing because opposing counsel INSISTED our (very low stakes procedural) agreement be on the record. He could have just sent over an agreement for me to sign which would have been just as binding and saved us all a trip to the courthouse, but of course then he couldn't bill his client for the hearing (and travel to and from the courthouse, and waiting around for the hearing, and talking to his client after the hearing, etc.)

Of course, after the hearing opposing counsel declared that for clarity's sake we should really memorialize our on the record agreement in writing (which he graciously offered to draft). :catdrugs:

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

How do you punctuate a quote within a quote?

The original text says:

He said, "She said, 'Hi, my name is Susan.'"

Do you do this:

"He said, 'She said, 'Hi, my name is Susan.''"

?

edit:

'''He said, ''She said, 'Hi, my name is Susan.''''''

Neither. You just alternate the double and single quotes, so it looks like this:

"He said, 'she said, "Hi, my name is Susan,"'"

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Incredulous Red posted:

I need Due Process, Federal Legislative Power (Commerce, Tenth Amendment, Taxing and Spending, 13th, 14th, 15th Amendments), Dormant Commerce Clause, and Federal Executive Power.

CrunchTime has decent ones

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Incredulous Red posted:

I have some pretty decent outlines, but you betrayed the one true law by going to UIUC rather than Wisconsin.

I will not share with a heretic.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

JudicialRestraints posted:

I have some pretty decent outlines, but you betrayed the one true law by going to UIUC rather than Wisconsin.

I will not share with a heretic.

I remember our property discussions, and frankly you guys have some weird poo poo up there in the frozen north that you call "the law"

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Incredulous Red posted:

I remember our property discussions, and frankly you guys have some weird poo poo up there in the frozen north that you call "the law"

TWO LAWYERS ENTER ONE LAWYER LEAVES

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

TWO LAWYERS ENTER ONE LAWYER LEAVES

bring back terrordrome for the lawschool thread only

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

GamingHyena posted:

Today I got to waste over half an hour for a pointless hearing because opposing counsel INSISTED our (very low stakes procedural) agreement be on the record. He could have just sent over an agreement for me to sign which would have been just as binding and saved us all a trip to the courthouse, but of course then he couldn't bill his client for the hearing (and travel to and from the courthouse, and waiting around for the hearing, and talking to his client after the hearing, etc.)

Of course, after the hearing opposing counsel declared that for clarity's sake we should really memorialize our on the record agreement in writing (which he graciously offered to draft). :catdrugs:

In a no-evidence summary judgment with a standing judicial order not to file more paper, I had a judge request more briefing after the hearing.

:ughh:

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

stingray1381 posted:

I downplay how good my job is all the time for all of you.

It's amazing. I will do anything to return to sweet sweet federal employment once I graduate. ANYTHING.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Incredulous Red posted:

here let me get this one out of my brain forever

Dormant Commerce Clause

short questions
1. Is activity being regulated commerce? (Gibbons v. Odgen)
2. Is the commerce interstate?
3. Has Congress spoken?

longer questions
1. If the state regulation facially discriminatory against ISC in effect or purpose, apply strict scrutiny
2. If the regulation is even-handed with only an incidental effect on ISC, the law is valid unless the burden imposed is clearly excessive in relation to the putative local benefits (Pike Test).

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Rumor is that we're going to have 3 long questions for our con law exam. I honestly have no idea how I'm going to do this.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
detour into a long policy rant about why lochner and slaughterhouse are the Worst Decisions Ever

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

JohnnyTreachery posted:

detour into a long policy rant about why lochner and slaughterhouse are the Worst Decisions Ever

Possibly

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

All real schools exempt you from that poo poo. Have fun with that.
Yeah Montana and some place with a retarded rodent (no, the other retarded rodent).

Incredulous Red posted:

Wisconsin laws:
Everything must have cheese
No speeding tickets for 'sconies.
2x speeding tickets for FIBs.
Beer on Sunday (what up!)
Fireworks
DUIs are not crimes
You can only marry your sister if you live north of Dane County.
No.loving.Margarine.

That is all of them.

nm fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 13, 2010

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

nm posted:

Wisconsin laws:
Everything must have cheese
No speeding tickets for 'sconies.
2x speeding tickets for FIBs.
Beer on Sunday (what up!)
Fireworks
DUIs are not crimes
You can only marry your sister if you live north of Dane County.
No.loving.Margarine.

That is all of them.

Hunting 'accidents' involving out of state 'tourists' are acceptable, understandable and will not be thoroughly investigated.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Inc Red, don't have a flowchart, but I just threw my Table of Authorities (which also lists themes and tests and quicky holdings/important poo poo) in the Dropbox. I also recommend taking a look at HR's checklist, it's good stuff.

P.S. Goonspeed I've got Con tomorrow too then it's sweet sweet freedom for a minute.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hunting 'accidents' involving out of state 'tourists' are acceptable, understandable and will not be thoroughly investigated.
Unless you're Hmong

edit: Forgot the dead guys were cheeseheads.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Somebody send me an invite to the dropbox por favor

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

nm posted:

Unless you're Hmong

edit: Forgot the dead guys were cheeseheads.

Do you remember the retaliatory shooting of a Hmong hunter by a white Wisconsin native? Not many people do.

Scott free.

Want to go on a nice vacation? I hear Door county is beautiful this time of year. I'll buy you some cherries or something.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Do you remember the retaliatory shooting of a Hmong hunter by a white Wisconsin native? Not many people do.

I do that was a serious miscarriage of justice in all eyes but those enshrined in a head of cheese

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

HiddenReplaced posted:

10-8, I thought you were lying about how awesome your job was. Now that I'm working for an agency I have come to realize that you were downplaying it so we wouldn't kill you and wear your skin.

10-8 is on a two week vacation and will probably never see this post.

Meanwhile I spent all day writing a motion that will almost certainly not be granted. I think the moral of this story is that I'm doing it wrong.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I got to go give a talk to high school seniors, and tell them don't go, no jobs. I suppose I should have included the 'die alone' bit.

Most of their questions involved cops breaking up house parties.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

MaximumBob posted:

10-8 is on a two week vacation and will probably never see this post.

He passed a year already? How time flies...

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh
AFTER TEN THOUSAND YEARS I'M FREEEE

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr. Fictitious posted:

AFTER TEN THOUSAND YEARS I'M FREEEE

...free to join the profession of law, that is.

...which is a pretty lovely definition of "free."

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

IrritationX posted:

Neither. You just alternate the double and single quotes, so it looks like this:

"He said, 'she said, "Hi, my name is Susan,"'"

this is correct

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
The one thing I could never figure out was how to close a sentence that ended both a quote and a parenthetical. (This is an example of a line like that, where you realize "hey, I don't know what the gently caress to do at the end here.").

Something about ."). didn't look right visually. Should I have ditched the outer period?

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Ok so newb lawyer question here:

Do I need to sue the insurance company of the guy who hit my wife's car (since they declined to pay us to fix the damage) or do I just sue the guy himself and let him worry about his insurance company and what they do? I feel like I know the answer is to just sue the guy, but I want to make sure before I go ahead and do that.

Solo Huckster Chat ITT

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Defleshed posted:

Do I need to sue the insurance company of the guy who hit my wife's car (since they declined to pay us to fix the damage) or do I just sue the guy himself and let him worry about his insurance company and what they do? I feel like I know the answer is to just sue the guy, but I want to make sure before I go ahead and do that.

Solo Huckster Chat ITT

Sue the guy and put the company on notice.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Defleshed posted:

Solo Huckster Chat ITT

Try and find a cause of action against the insurance company too. Conspiracy, Deceptive Trade Practices, any private cause for an insurance company not meeting statutory requirements?

Your going to settle anyway so you might as well raise the "possible payout" on the insurance company even if there is only a 1% of winning at trial.

Also see if your state has any sort of Stowers demand available.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1276634/

Roger_Mudd fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 13, 2010

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Not surprisingly, my Con Law exam had a issue spotter of the Commerce Clause. Stupid Raich has made it way more confusing then it really should be.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Posner and Easterbrook: which one's the legend, and which one's the god?

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Roger_Mudd posted:

Also see if your state has any sort of Stowers demand available.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1276634/

Nice, thanks for this tip. Gonna ask an old adjunct prof of mine who ambulance chases and see if we have anything like this in Illinois.

e: This claim is for like $1500. They might as well just settle, really.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 13, 2010

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Elotana posted:

The one thing I could never figure out was how to close a sentence that ended both a quote and a parenthetical. (This is an example of a line like that, where you realize "hey, I don't know what the gently caress to do at the end here.").

Something about ."). didn't look right visually. Should I have ditched the outer period?

You only need one of the periods. If the parenthetical is part of the original sentence, it goes outside the closing parenthesis. If the parenthetical is its own sentence, as in this example, it goes on the outside.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Elotana posted:

Related question - what do you do about question marks at the end of a sentence that ends with a quote when the question mark isn't part of the sentence? For example, how do you interpret the meaning of "I can't think of an example sentence to put in quotation marks but you get the point"? Should the ? go inside the quotation? If it goes outside, should something go inside the quotation?

Related question to the related question - what do you do when you're quoting a question in the middle of a sentence? For example, some guy just asked me "do you have any spare change?" and I shot him.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

billion dollar bitch posted:

Posner and Easterbrook: which one's the legend, and which one's the god?

"Posner...Posner is a legend. But Easterbrook, Easterbrook is a God."

--Easterbrook's clerk, now a contracts teacher at Northwestern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Related question - what do you do about question marks at the end of a sentence that ends with a quote when the question mark isn't part of the sentence? For example, how do you interpret the meaning of "I can't think of an example sentence to put in quotation marks but you get the point"? Should the ? go inside the quotation? If it goes outside, should something go inside the quotation?

Related question to the related question - what do you do when you're quoting a question in the middle of a sentence? For example, some guy just asked me "do you have any spare change?" and I shot him.

For example, how do you interpret the meaning of "I can't think of an example sentence to put in quotation marks but you get the point?"

For example, some guy just asked me "Do you have any spare change?" and I shot him.

Basically the punctuation of the quote takes precedence unless the main sentence ends with an exclamation or question mark and the quote would end with a period.