Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Yeah, a good wreck will give you the fear afterwards, your body doesn't want you to do that again so you get anxious and apprehensive. Just keep skating and it will pass, you just have to get back on and work your way back into your original comfort level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

The Extrapolator posted:

Thank you for posting this. I need to read something like this over losing it going around an alley corner and face planting into a tree. My entire face is hosed up but can't wait to get back out.

Just bought a landyachtz bamboo pinner on friday and look forward to this summer.

drat that's a really nice-looking deck

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008
Okay so my question is on trucks. I've been skating for awhile but I've never known what the difference is between low, mid, and high trucks. I assume it's because of how high they sit, but what are the pros/cons of each type?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Taller trucks naturally put your deck further from the ground giving you more room to pop your ollies, at the cost of a higher center of gravity. Lower trucks are, well, the opposite; a more grounded, stable ride, but tougher to pop.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
With the guidance of this website: http://diyskate.com/quarter_01.html

I built a small quarter for my driveway. It's 2' tall and 5' wide. Here's what it looks like:

Click here for the full 1200x796 image.

Click here for the full 1200x933 image.

Click here for the full 1200x900 image.

Click here for the full 1200x927 image.

The original sheet metal in the first three pictures didn't work out. It was too thin. I replaced with another piece that was a bit thicker shown in the last picture. It seems to be working out OK.

My driveway is kind of rough but I got some big soft wheels from a friend today to smooth things out and I'm enjoying my new spot at home.

I probably should have tried to get in contact with a metal shop to get the coping and threshold material but I just tried to get what I could from Lowe's. The only suitable coping at Lowe's or Home Depot was 10' of 2'' galvanized rigid conduit which is in the electrical section. I got the guy in the plumping pipe cutting area to cut it for me. The conduit at Home Depot was rougher and a few bucks more.

http://www.diyskate.com/ is a great site if you interested in building just about anything.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 9, 2010

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
Beautiful little quarter, nice work!

Fancy some softer wheels myself, I'm always skating sketchy spots.
Ricta seem to do some nice softies but I don't know how they'd last skating concrete.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I love the quarter pipe, it looks very well made.

Bones makes a set of wheels called Soft Cores that ride very well. I just replaced a set after about 6 or so months of use and they were still in very decent shape.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

DELETED posted:

NaDy: Are you doing them while moving?

Yeah I'm learning by usually doing one push so I have a bit of speed but nothing too fast.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

donJonSwan posted:

Bones makes a set of wheels called Soft Cores that ride very well. I just replaced a set after about 6 or so months of use and they were still in very decent shape.
I've got a set of these in now; I don't skate anywhere near as hard as most people here but they're loving amazing for me. I have some really lovely streets around my place that I can glide smoothly on with these and they aren't bad in rain either.

Plus, being in black and white, they look loving awesome with my new deck :woop:

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.
Heelflips :argh:

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

boydx posted:

Heelflips :argh:

I find them easier than kickflips and it's been this way since I started skating :frogbon:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Kick flips and heel flips are equally troublesome for me but whenever I actually do a heel flip correctly it's always the hugest pop in the world with a perfect backfoot catch and it makes me wonder why I can't do them all the time.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Even after not skating for long periods of time (like a year between each time), I can still get on a board and bust a varial kickflip. Varials were always easy for me. Normal kickflips....not so much.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Same. poo poo, I learned varials before I ever solidly landed a kick flip.

Spermatic Cord
Jun 6, 2006
Just put together a mini logo deck with indy trucks and bones red bearings. Holy poo poo. It's so much faster and lighter than a skateboard from a sportings goods store. Time to fail at moving ollies at twice the speed!

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Just went out today for the first time since I posted saying my goal was to learn kick-flips by the end of the summer. I am able to spin them...and land on the board. The unfortunate part is that I seem to be over spinning them? I land on the wrong side of the board :(

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Wheeeeey! Ollies are go. Still struggling to ollie whilst moving and timing them to clear obstacles; as soon as I have something to ollie over coming towards me I sort of internally freak out and completely forget what I'm supposed to be doing with my body. :smith:

Tactical Grace fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 15, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

anotherblownsave posted:

Just went out today for the first time since I posted saying my goal was to learn kick-flips by the end of the summer. I am able to spin them...and land on the board. The unfortunate part is that I seem to be over spinning them? I land on the wrong side of the board :(

The whole time you're flipping the board, look at it. Observe the rotation so you can see when you need to lower your back foot to "catch" the deck. If you're not watching the deck you won't know when to grab it.

Edit: Finally got some money and bought a new setup. This weather is too good to not be skating.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 15, 2010

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I was humbled at Etnies in Lake Forest today by some youngsters.

Great afternoon at the park. I can't wait till their expansion gets started, it's going to be loving amazing.

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.
Shane O'Neill's video part is up on the Berrics as a digital download, anyone getting it?

http://theberrics.com/dailyops.php

mes
Apr 28, 2006

boydx posted:

Shane O'Neill's video part is up on the Berrics as a digital download, anyone getting it?

I've been trying to all morning but the drat website is lagging really badly. It's only 3 dollars and most (all?) of the money is going to Shane.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
it was alright, nothing too mind-blowing.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Downhill/slalom/freeride/longboard goon reporting in. I love me some high speeds (not really I'm slow) and big slides. Probably going to sell/rebuild my slalom setup. She doesn't get enough lovin' and I hate my front truck

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 16, 2010

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
I was checking out the impora site this morning to see if there was any new parks near me and apparently Dunblane (little rural place in central Scotland) had a nice concrete park built a while back.

I headed out to find it, which wasn't easy as you have to walk through a park for ages to get near it. it's not signposted and it's hidden in a little depression surrounded by hills.

It's a beauty though, I can't believe it's there. Amazing little concrete park, lovely flow, well made, totally isolated and completely deserted on a beautiful Sunday in May.
Three other guys turned up, they were the locals apparently, friendly bunch, they were telling me that there's just never anyone there.

Took a couple of pics:

Great little place, nice bowl with a roll-in and a spine, little vert quarter, rails, ledges - the lot.
Can't wait to get back already!

Matic
May 12, 2007

NO DISASSEMBLE

boydx posted:

Insanity... Dude's flawless. I've never seen a part where every trick looked first try quite like that. Youtube his 720 shuv's, they look surreal.

Matic fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 16, 2010

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Obscuritatem posted:

I was checking out the impora site this morning to see if there was any new parks near me and apparently Dunblane (little rural place in central Scotland) had a nice concrete park built a while back.

Wow, I never expected to see Dunblane pics in this thread. Yeah, it's a fun wee park. I skate there once in a while. I'm in Stirling, which is pretty near - we've got a wee skatepark too. It's kinda crappy and in bad shape but it's apparently being rebuilt soon.

Falkirk also has a decent sized park in the same(ish) area.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
Wow, good stuff! I'm living over on the Denny side of Falkirk but I moved here from Stirling.
I skate Falkirk now and again, but it's always mobbed at the weekend. I took a drive past King's Park today to see if it was busy, but it was all fenced off for some reason. It's a shame the bowls are rough as 'cos they're good fun.

I've been on the hunt for a quiet park to skate on the weekend. Dunblane seems perfect. I checked out Cambusbarron and Tillicoultry but they've both just got a couple of metal funboxes. The Tilli park has a big metal quarter on a tiny little bit of rough concrete.

I'm on the lookout for a local wooden miniramp to skate as well. Kippen and Thornhill used to have mellow little ramps but they're long gone. There's still one up the road in Fintry, but it's fenced off and has a hole at the bottom of the tranny, I don't think it'll get fixed. I'm going to head over to Bathgate next weekend. Rumour has it they've got a miniramp at some sports center so I figure it's worth a shot.

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Obscuritatem posted:

I headed out to find it, which wasn't easy as you have to walk through a park for ages to get near it. it's not signposted and it's hidden in a little depression surrounded by hills.

It's a beauty though, I can't believe it's there. Amazing little concrete park, lovely flow, well made, totally isolated and completely deserted on a beautiful Sunday in May.
Three other guys turned up, they were the locals apparently, friendly bunch, they were telling me that there's just never anyone there.

Took a couple of pics:

Great little place, nice bowl with a roll-in and a spine, little vert quarter, rails, ledges - the lot.

Bud! Can you mark this on Google Maps or something? I would definitely take a wee trip to Dunblane to have a shot on this. :)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Oh man got out for the first time in many months. It was as glorious as I remember it.

Dropped in on a proper quarter pipe for the first time. Felt smooth like butter, too.

Met these girls, who taught my first-timer friend how to roll in the bird feeder: sowlesisters.com

All in all, an amazing Sunday night. I can't wait for summer to get into full swing :D

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

Mincher posted:

Bud! Can you mark this on Google Maps or something? I would definitely take a wee trip to Dunblane to have a shot on this. :)

No probs. The park isn't on Google satellite view yet but I've done a little map:

Click here for the full 1036x884 image.

The closest I could park was the free carpark round the back of the Cathedral. The Cathedral is dead easy to find, it's signposted all over the town. You basically just follow the path from there alongside the river until you get to the kid's playpark. There's a steep gravel hill straight ahead that looks like it goes nowhere, but the park is just at the top on the right hand side.
It looks like a trek but it doesn't take that long to walk to.

I'm going to see if I can get a day off work soon and just spend the day there. The bowl is a bit tighter and more awkward than the one at Perth and I got the fear a bit when skating it, but I fancy learning to skate it properly. It's a great park for practising stuff.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Obscuritatem posted:

drat, that looks like the perfect park for a longboard, wide and shallow, plenty of room to make turns and just carve......Wish I had something like that near me :(

Spermatic Cord
Jun 6, 2006
What size wheels does everyone here skate on? After skating on some 52mm I feel like my heels and ankles will turn to jello if I don't skate anything other than perfectly smooth surfaces.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
75mm :smug:

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I like 54mm wheels.

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Obscuritatem posted:

No probs. The park isn't on Google satellite view yet but I've done a little map:

Click here for the full 1036x884 image.

The closest I could park was the free carpark round the back of the Cathedral. The Cathedral is dead easy to find, it's signposted all over the town. You basically just follow the path from there alongside the river until you get to the kid's playpark. There's a steep gravel hill straight ahead that looks like it goes nowhere, but the park is just at the top on the right hand side.
It looks like a trek but it doesn't take that long to walk to.

I'm going to see if I can get a day off work soon and just spend the day there. The bowl is a bit tighter and more awkward than the one at Perth and I got the fear a bit when skating it, but I fancy learning to skate it properly. It's a great park for practising stuff.

Nice one! Now to make arrangements...

Thanks bud.

Today I spent some cash on a nice new Almost deck, going up to 8" to try it out. I got myself some nice Venture trucks too!

Fake Edit: I usually skate 53mm, but the current ones have worn down to about 50mm.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Those Ventures look like they're 7.5" wide. It seems like it'd feel weird to have a 7'5" wheelbase on an 8" board.

Spermatic Cord
Jun 6, 2006
Here's my 7.75 minilogo + indytrucks + bones red + and darkstar 52mm:

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Bucket Joneses posted:

Those Ventures look like they're 7.5" wide. It seems like it'd feel weird to have a 7'5" wheelbase on an 8" board.

The board is actually 8.1" and the trucks 8". They're definitely not 7.5" as they're larger than my old 7.75" trucks.

It's probably just the angle of the photo.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
Nice setups! I have to say, I think I still prefer my scabby old Ventures to my new Indys. I need to change the bushings or break them in a bit more or something, they're just not quite as nice yet.

Any of the Scottish locals skated Saughton Park yet? It's looking insane but it's been crammed with bodies since it opened. I need to get out to it on a weekday before the kids break up for the holidays.

BTW, if any of you guys are skating lone wolf and fancy hitting up Dunblane, Saughton or Livi or someplace but feel weird turning up at the park on your own (it's sometimes like walking into a bar in a western), just give us a shout. I'm not competitive or super-hardcore or anything, I just skate for fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirp
May 16, 2007
Just picked up a complete at the local skateshop and started again for the first time in quite a few years. After about three hours I could already get some of the basic grinds down on the mini ramp and fun box. I don't know why I ever stopped, this is some serious fun.