Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.

Klaus Kinski posted:

About Jason Alexander, probably been mentioned already but

:psyduck:

It's pretty hosed up that he never won an Emmy for Seinfeld, but I'm sure his Tony will console him. He was obviously the most talented member of the ensemble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Klaus Kinski posted:

About Jason Alexander, probably been mentioned already but

:psyduck:

The Seinfeld curse strikes again!

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

coolhockey posted:

Those guys missed Mad Money, which is referenced multiple times by Arrested Development :colbert:

And Mad Money is not a fictional show, so that means it crosses over into beig reality which means reality itself is the imaginaion of an autistic child who imagined himself living in reality imagining a show which led to crossovers and then he existing within ughhghhgh.

gently caress this noise.

Back to Seinfeld, it still amazes me that Newman was a throwaway character originally. I maintain Newman is by far the best secondary character.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Just saw the library episode last night.. I love this bit.

George: "There I was, a grown man, outside the library.... getting a wedgie."
Elaine: "At least it wasn't atomic!"
George: "... it was."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Okposolypse posted:

Back to Seinfeld, it still amazes me that Newman was a throwaway character originally. I maintain Newman is by far the best secondary character.

VILE WEED!

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.
Hear me and hear me well - The day will come! Oh yes, mark my words, Seinfeld - your day of reckoning is coming! When an evil wind will blow through your little playworld, and wipe that smug smile off your face! And I'll be there, in all my glory, watching... watching as it all comes crumbling down!

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

Flobbster posted:

Clitoris, but only if you put the emphasis on the wrong syllable.

I've heard it pronounced both ways, and have actually heard the way that rhymes with Dolores is the correct way.

Anybody remember the sexual harrassment case that happened at Miller Brewing? A guy was talking about the episode at work, and a woman didn't understand, so he explained it to her. He was then fired. He eventually sued Miller and won I think.

EDIT:

quote:

A conversation in Milwaukee the day after the episode aired led to a lawsuit in which jurors awarded Jerold J. Mackenzie $26.6 million on July 15, 1997. Mackenzie was terminated by Miller Brewing Co. on the basis that discussing the episode with his secretary constituted sexual harassment.[2] Later, however, the lawsuit was overturned by the court of appeals, and this ruling was upheld by the Supreme Court of Wisconsin.[3]

The name "Mulva", which is what Jerry guessed to be the name of his girlfriend, was later used as the name of an action heroine in two film spoofs, Mulva: Zombie rear end Kicker (2001) and Mulva: Kill Teen Ape (2005).
I guess he didn't win. :(

Thenipwax fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 13, 2010

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Great Kramer moment.

Kramer shows Jerry that he filled his mailbox with bricks.

Jerry: "Where'd you get the bricks?"
Kramer: "Jerry, the whole building is made of brick"

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Found a LD appearance I wasn't aware of. I didn't know he was ever featured like this, I thought the closest we got to seeing him was when he was the man in the cape, and it was sort of obscured and from a distance.

From season 7's 'The Gum', an episode I hadn't seen in a long time, and is really pretty brilliant. All the scenes of everyone sitting around, not talking, chewing loudly never fail to crack me up. Also, when George sums up the plot of the episode in a futile effort to convince a woman he's not crazy, it's too good:

"That's your best friend?"
"Yeah, but Jerry doesn't wear glasses."
"But that man was wearing glasses.."
"You don't understand! He was wearing them to fool Lloyd Braun!!"

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 14, 2010

RubeTube
Jun 18, 2008

The Walrus posted:

Found a LD appearance I wasn't aware of. I didn't know he was ever featured like this, I thought the closest we got to seeing him was when he was the man in the cape, and it was sort of obscured and from a distance.
There's a DVD extra that documents his appearances: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x_zywldo4M

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

The Walrus posted:

George may be the king, but I'm the wiz!

Nobody beats me!

(does anyone know why The Wiz wears a crown?)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I never caught this before, but in the episode "The Wizard" during the montage of Kramer campaigning the newspapers that fly on the screen mention L.D.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

explosivo posted:

I never caught this before, but in the episode "The Wizard" during the montage of Kramer campaigning the newspapers that fly on the screen mention L.D.

Haha, and the text of the article is just the "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet" filler text. That's great.

Ah, the creative shortcuts that shows could take before HD came along.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Does anybody have the photo where Kruger has been airbrushed back into the beach family photo?

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
The Switch is one of my favorite episodes, full of great moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_vQNwIR0Pw

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

NeuroticErotica posted:

Does anybody have the photo where Kruger has been airbrushed back into the beach family photo?

This one?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Considering it was from memory, he did do a pretty drat good job.

I loving love "The Slicer". George torpedoes his entire elaborate coverup scheme as a matter of pride in mere seconds, and it doesn't make one difference.

"THAT'S WHAT THEY TELL ME!!"

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Watching the pilot episode right now and it really is strange. No Elaine, way more standup bits, off pacing, and everything feels like its been culled from his standup act. Better than most of the poo poo on TV these days still, but it feels very far away from the show at it's prime.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Maarak posted:

Watching the pilot episode right now and it really is strange. No Elaine, way more standup bits, off pacing, and everything feels like its been culled from his standup act. Better than most of the poo poo on TV these days still, but it feels very far away from the show at it's prime.

Try reading Sein Language. The show was a collaborative effort. Take out some of the players and writers and it would suck hard.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

OldSenileGuy posted:

This one?

"He looks like a Peanuts character!"

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

OldSenileGuy posted:

This one?

Perfect.

"THIS IS A CARTOON!"

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

DrBouvenstein posted:

George may be the king, but I'm the wiz!

Nobody beats me!

(does anyone know why The Wiz wears a crown?)

The Wiz is awesome. I remember watching the episode as a kid and recognizing him as Artie from Pete and Pete and being so happy :unsmith:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Try reading Sein Language. The show was a collaborative effort. Take out some of the players and writers and it would suck hard.

I'm reading SeinLanguage right now, currently at a rate of about one laugh per ten pages. After watching the show for so long (mostly the seasons after they dropped his standup bookends) I forgot what Seinfeld's pure comedy was like, and as it turns out the "what's the deal with airline peanuts?" gag is spot-on.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Crw85HvIFs
"Geroge" the dramatic movie trailer.

It's funny how great it works out of context.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

McSpanky posted:

I'm reading SeinLanguage right now, currently at a rate of about one laugh per ten pages. After watching the show for so long (mostly the seasons after they dropped his standup bookends) I forgot what Seinfeld's pure comedy was like, and as it turns out the "what's the deal with airline peanuts?" gag is spot-on.

Do you mean gag like people make fun of Seinfeld's jokes because they are lame like what's the deal with airline peanuts?

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
I like Seinfeld's standup. I missed the standup bits as they were phased out of the show. No, they weren't as groundbreaking as the show itself, but something doesn't need to be groundbreaking if it's well-polished and I thought that Seinfeld's standup was top-notch.

Has anyone else seen 'Comedian,' that documentary that followed Jerry Seinfeld and Orney Adams around as they hashed out their acts? It's pretty rad to see Chris Rock and Jerry Seinfeld nerding it up over Bill Cosby.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Magic Love Hose posted:

I like Seinfeld's standup. I missed the standup bits as they were phased out of the show. No, they weren't as groundbreaking as the show itself, but something doesn't need to be groundbreaking if it's well-polished and I thought that Seinfeld's standup was top-notch.

Has anyone else seen 'Comedian,' that documentary that followed Jerry Seinfeld and Orney Adams around as they hashed out their acts? It's pretty rad to see Chris Rock and Jerry Seinfeld nerding it up over Bill Cosby.

That was a great, great movie.

You can't really judge Seinfeld as a stand-up comedian by "Seinlanguage". The delivery is completely lost when you put those words to paper. I'm a diehard Seinfeld fan but absolutely hated that book. The series where he wrote all those complaint letters to companies is far better (can't remember the title; they were written under a pseudonym with "wink wink" intros by Seinfeld).

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Oxyclean posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Crw85HvIFs
"Geroge" the dramatic movie trailer.

It's funny how great it works out of context.

I wish they had called this "movie" "The Summer of George", because I can totally see that working as a title for that kind of sappy, feel-good, man-goes-through-life-altering-experience vibe that the trailer has. A big missed opportunity.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Ehud posted:

The Wiz is awesome. I remember watching the episode as a kid and recognizing him as Artie from Pete and Pete and being so happy :unsmith:

I'm thinking as going as a Toby Huss mélange for Halloween...switch between Artie and The Wiz!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

petewhitley posted:

You can't really judge Seinfeld as a stand-up comedian by "Seinlanguage". The delivery is completely lost when you put those words to paper. I'm a diehard Seinfeld fan but absolutely hated that book.

This is very true. I only enjoy the book because I can imagine his routine as I read it. If I was reading it without having basically memorized his routine, I can't imagine I'd laugh much.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Jerry Seinfeld has a children's book that is basically his set on Halloween from "I'm Telling You For The Last Time" fully illustrated. If I ever need to read a bedtime story to a kid it'll be this one. I'll do it in my best Jerry voice.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

NeuroticErotica posted:

Perfect.

"THIS IS A CARTOON!"

"You've lost a lot of hair."

"That's what they tell me!"

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

petewhitley posted:

You can't really judge Seinfeld as a stand-up comedian by "Seinlanguage". The delivery is completely lost when you put those words to paper. I'm a diehard Seinfeld fan but absolutely hated that book. The series where he wrote all those complaint letters to companies is far better (can't remember the title; they were written under a pseudonym with "wink wink" intros by Seinfeld).

I gotta say that I found those books (think they were the Letters from a Nut series) far inferior to the similar Idiot Letters books, particularly the first one.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

regulargonzalez posted:

I gotta say that I found those books (think they were the Letters from a Nut series) far inferior to the similar Idiot Letters books, particularly the first one.

The best Idiot Letter is the one he wrote to Exxon-Mobil regarding their ad featuring a giant eagle. "WHAT IF IT GETS LOOSE?!!"

Parachute
May 18, 2003
They just started showing what I'm hoping will be the entire series in order from the first episode in syndication. I spent the entire episode admiring how well George talks with his hands - especially in the laundromat. "Signals, Jerry, signals!"

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I started my nth run through the series. Observations so far:
Elaine is alot funnier once you actually pay attention to her.
They really are horrible people, they may actually be worse than the it's always sunny gang.

I can knock out half a season/day if I fastforward through the intro and standup parts :woop:.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

Klaus Kinski posted:

Elaine is alot funnier once you actually pay attention to her.
Sure, her clothing and hair is atrocious for the first half of the series, but for some reason I find her extremely attractive. Her character's personality makes her even more attractive.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Elaine reminds me of every girlfriend I've ever had. Either they managed to create such a character that a lot of people find attractive/familiar or I just have a really subliminal thing for Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

I think it's a bit of both.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

What's funnier is what someone mentioned earlier in this topic: the fact that Elaine is such a bad person that Julia Louis-Dreyfus wouldn't even want to be friends with her. I think she just injects so much of her likable self into the character that she becomes likable herself.

That might be the genius of Seinfeld. Sure, they're bad people doing bad things, but the actors are just so drat lovable you can't help it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I'm still on the fence about kramer being terrible. It's more like he doesn't care/know any better in situations where everyone else would start scheming

Someone find the speech jerry gives george after the first meeting with nbc about how he needs to have an entire psych department dedicated to him, it sums up the characters so well.

e: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Ugz1NvumM

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 28, 2010