Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Got the OST because it's just awesome.
The one problem is that a lot of the music in this game is dynamic and has layers that add/subtract when you do certain things and for the most part that's lost here, although there are some songs on the OST that start with some of the layers and just add them on.

Also I can't find the Popola/Devola song that plays at the final bossfight of Part 1. I found one song with both of them but the boss one was a lot more energetic, this dynamic thing is confusing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Notinghamington posted:

Really? isn't it obvious? spoiler if you haven't beaten the B ending Popola and Devola, have not gone through the renegade mode, they are still "sane" and are helping shade Nier get his body back, you, and they are helping shade yonah get her body back.
Obvious ? Really ? Making the body get so strong and skilled that the soul can no longer claim it is helping shade Nier ? How could I not see that...

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Notinghamington posted:

Really? isn't it obvious? spoiler if you haven't beaten the B ending Popola and Devola, have not gone through the renegade mode, they are still "sane" and are helping shade Nier get his body back, you, and they are helping shade yonah get her body back.

Plus You're the ideal person to take out the renegade shades that have got the defect in them and are attacking the replicants. The only problem is that you get a bit too focussed on this task and end up killing non-bad Shades

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

NIER: Blade Runner in the Year 3000?

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Brackhar posted:

Just finished Ending B. I'm really satisfied with my experience with this game, flaws and all. The fact that I can only recommend the game to friends with many caveats makes me sad, as what they do well here they do *really* well. I ended up watching ending C and D on youtube, though in retrospect since I didn't know how close I was to finding all of the weapons I somewhat regret it. Maybe I'll spend the last three hours necessary to get those final endings myself; I was really moved by them.

Any word on how this game is selling? I don't know how easy it'd be to make another game in this setting, but I'd love to see Cavia make more games like this. We need more like this.

Not exactly current but:

http://kotaku.com/5527402/japan-loves-nier

And you're right. Cavia does get plenty of things wrong with this game - some because some of the elements are just sloppy and some because, well, Cavia really can't hold their love of being giant trolls in check. But what they do right in this game they do in a way few games have for a very, very long time indeed.

GreenDream
Jun 2, 2003

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?
Enjoying this game a lot so far despite its flaws. After so many years of JRPG ladyboys, a face like a kicked in biscuit tin is pretty refreshing.

Also, the vocal tracks, especially Kaine's theme and Devola's song kinda sound a tiny bit like gaelic to me. Any Irish goons want to confirm?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

UselessLurker posted:

Cavia really can't hold their love of being giant trolls in check.

I think a lot of what gets written off as 'trolling' is really tied to achievements. For so many nowadays, they steer the gaming experience. They're a checklist of things to do.

I personally don't even look at the list. If a little 'you got an achievement' bubble pops up, then hey, that's neat. Otherwise, I play solely as I want to play. If I don't want to do filler side-quests, I won't.

It's a really bad time to be an obsessive completionist. You'd go mad, or at least pull out your hair before long.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just upgraded the DLC weapon Fool's Lament to lvl 4, raising its attack power to 999. It's just as insane as it sounds.

I personally like the idea of trophies, but for some reason some developers think of it as an excuse to triple the game's length but with no in-game rewards, which is insane. The only games I have Platinum on required at least some skill, while not going overboard on crap collecting, like the Uncharted games and Bayonetta. I just upgraded the 30 weapons in this game, and this required no skill at all, just patience, a gently caress-load of free time, and luck. It was also no fun at all and didn't actually give me any in-game benefits since you really only need to upgrade 2-3 weapons to be unstoppable. The rest of the trophies I have left should be pretty fun to complete though, like the speed-run trophy.

The weapons upgrade crap taught me a lesson, though. I'm never going to consciously try to complete all the trophies in a game, ever again. So this game has saved me from completing the crazy time-sink that is FFXIII's achievements. Thank you, Cavia.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 16, 2010

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I platinumed FF13 and I don't even want to touch weapon upgrading in this game.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I guess I just enjoyed this game more than FFXIII, then :shrug:

Edit:
Haha I decided to try the DLC maps on hard before getting ending D, and it's HARD, at least when you compare it to the rest of the game.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 16, 2010

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

GreenDream posted:

Enjoying this game a lot so far despite its flaws. After so many years of JRPG ladyboys, a face like a kicked in biscuit tin is pretty refreshing.

Also, the vocal tracks, especially Kaine's theme and Devola's song kinda sound a tiny bit like gaelic to me. Any Irish goons want to confirm?

IIRC, the vocal tracks were based around pre-existing languages but the "future" versions of them. I think it's in this thread somewhere. But there's some songs that the vocals sound korean, japanese, english, gaelic, pretty much everything else too. I was sure one of them was in english when I recognized a word or two then the rest was gibberish to me. So yeah, pretty sure it's all made up.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
There's some french thrown in for good measure, too.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I hooked a rhizodont and fought on the line with it for like 3 minutes and then when I had probably under 5% of the bar left it got away :suicide:

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Xythar posted:

I hooked a rhizodont and fought on the line with it for like 3 minutes and then when I had probably under 5% of the bar left it got away :suicide:

Yeah that one's a real son of a bitch. I just got to part 2 yesterday (after finishing all the side quests in part 1) and I decided to get the fishing achievements out of the way so I wouldn't have to think about it later. So I did the rest of the fishing quests then caught myself a rhizodant and a (14 ton) dunkleosteus and both took me a a lot longer to hook and catch than the hyneria. It's crazy how much the area where you can hold the analog stick to damage the fish shrinks on the harder fish.

Next I'm gonna some gardening out of the way. Farming white moonflowers is a good way to make some cash right? I'm running a little low right now after buying the Phoenix spear.

In other news I got all of my Eagle Eggs within an hour, which was nice. And following the advice of someone earlier and checking Seafront and the Village's farm spots every time I passed through really paid off, since I found 5 Giant Eggs and 6 Black Pearls by the end of part 1. Hopefully I can get a few more before I focus on weapon upgrading to make things a little less painful.

e: So is Damascus Steel the only thing you need to take the DLC weapons all the way to level 4? 'Cause that spear sounds badass. I beat the first door last night even though I was only level 18 and it wasn't that bad, I just used a lot of healing items. How much harder are the second and third door?

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 16, 2010

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Uh, kinda I suppose, but if all you want is a bit of short-term cash you're probably better off just doing a few quests. I bought all the weapons already and still have like 70,000G from quests (I'm at ~75% quest completion) and nothing much to spend it on, so there's not much point bothering to farm flowers (literally) unless you're trying for Man of Means.

I got the rhizodont finally after 3 tries, gently caress that thing. It's not just that the angle you have to hold the stick at becomes super precise but it also tends to change slightly even when Nier's stance remains the same, so you have to quickly hunt for the new spot before it gets away. This time I just hit X to reel it in at around the 10% mark and I guess I got lucky.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Crowbear posted:

e: So is Damascus Steel the only thing you need to take the DLC weapons all the way to level 4? 'Cause that spear sounds badass. I beat the first door last night even though I was only level 18 and it wasn't that bad, I just used a lot of healing items. How much harder are the second and third door?

I found nothing in there particularly difficult except those enemies on the second-last stage in the third door that randomly one-shot me out of absolutely nowhere. gently caress those guys.

The third door is significantly harder than the other two but still pretty easy with the phoenix spear, at least until that part.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Xythar posted:

Uh, kinda I suppose, but if all you want is a bit of short-term cash you're probably better off just doing a few quests. I bought all the weapons already and still have like 70,000G from quests (I'm at ~75% quest completion) and nothing much to spend it on, so there's not much point bothering to farm flowers (literally) unless you're trying for Man of Means.

Well, I'm going to want it eventually. I figure that since I'm getting the Legendary Gardener trophy anyway I might as well make some cash while I'm at it. The guy that wrote the trophy FAQ claims that once you have enough WMF seeds you can use the clock trick to get 300k in 20 minutes, which sounds pretty good to me :v:

e: yay forum maintenance eating posts.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
I did most of my 1000000 with a mix of 10 rice and 5 wheat. I still think it's a lot faster in the end than harvesting enough WMF seeds and then harvesting the WMF.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Ending D. Making you watch the game erase everything in your grimoire one page at a time was a nice touch. I've never seen a more apparent "gently caress You" in a game. Watching 70+ hours of gameplay disappear felt kind of bitter-sweet, but at least the game leaves a piece of evidence that Nier actually existed (the Moonflower at the title screen). And you can't complain that the game erases your saves without warning, at least :)

About Kainé: Does the game at any point tell the player what happened when her parents (not her grandmother) died, and why she she became an outcast in the village as a result? Every thread I've read through says she became possessed by a shade and became a hermaphrodite :psyduck: but I can't remember anything even remotely like this from playing the game. The text-part in NG+ says that she became part-possessed by Tyrann (who decided to take residence inside her heart) when her grandmother was killed, but that has nothing to do why she was bullied. Was he already inside her at that point but couldn't take control until she was injured? Am I missing something, or is it Japanese story-telling that strikes again?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 16, 2010

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I figured that the whole "Kaine is a hermaphrodite" thing was just Kotaku-style misrepresentation of the idea of her being possessed. I guess they somehow think that having a male spirit possess a female body is somehow equivalent of her being a dude.

I always took the idea that she was an outcast to be the fact that she was incredibly tomboyish and not at all like the other girls that you see throughout the world. That's why her and her grandmother got along so well, as they were both outcasts in that regard..

tamriilin
Dec 29, 2008

House was on this page when he got that annoying "I'm such a genius" look.
This game is absolutely phenomenal, one of the best X360 RPGs I've played in quite some time.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Ddraig posted:

I figured that the whole "Kaine is a hermaphrodite" thing was just Kotaku-style misrepresentation of the idea of her being possessed. I guess they somehow think that having a male spirit possess a female body is somehow equivalent of her being a dude.

I always took the idea that she was an outcast to be the fact that she was incredibly tomboyish and not at all like the other girls that you see throughout the world. That's why her and her grandmother got along so well, as they were both outcasts in that regard..

I suppose the whole hermaprodite thing really was just bullshit. But I'm not sure about your theory. The "novel" says something about her parents getting killed. OK, I have a theory. Back when Kaine was a kid they weren't used to Shade attacks, so when her parents were killed by shades this was a shock to the whole village. Kaine survived the attack, but everyone branded her as a bad omen - they focused their hate for shades by bullying the little girl who had "brought" the shades to the village. She even started blaming herself until her grandmother knocked some sense into her. So she was a victim of the mentality of a small secluded village and superstition. Like she says several times - the place is a shithole. This would make the village's fate in part two deliciously ironic. I can't stand abandoned plot threads so it's fun theorizing a bit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ddraig posted:

No, there's an indication in the game that it wasn't. Kaine mentions something about her body being "strange" even before the Shade thing happens. She calls her body 'mutant'

Edit: Wired also has an interview on the subject http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/03/nier-interview/

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 16, 2010

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ImpAtom posted:

No, there's an indication in the game that it wasn't. Kaine mentions something about her body being "strange" even before the Shade thing happens.

Ugh. Forgot about that. It's a mystery I suppose.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Kaine as hermaphrodite thing is like the Harry Potter thing with that one wizard guy, (I don't read Harry Potter, sorry), where the author makes explicit outside of the text what is only implied in the text. Although, the fact that I absolutely cannot find any confirmation from the game's creators on this topic might mean that I am talking nonsense.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
The Kaine thing:

In the 'novel' when starting a new game going for ending B one of the boys tormenting Kaine says something like "and why are you acting like a girl, anyway? We all know what you really are."

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003

UselessLurker posted:

The Kaine thing:

In the 'novel' when starting a new game going for ending B one of the boys tormenting Kaine says something like "and why are you acting like a girl, anyway? We all know what you really are."
That sound like a confirmation only because you know the conclusion. You could infer a lot of different conclusions from that line.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have almost finished Ending A and I haven't caught a single fish/grown a single plant/have like 20% quest completion

It's a shame about the earlier quests, but I remember someone saying that over the playthroughs it takes to get the endings you get enough stuff for the fetch quests anyway that you don't need to grind it out.

Edit: About the languages, I'm pretty sure Facade speaks really broken Japanese.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 16, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok I think I figured out what New Game + is gonna reveal and now I'm kinda bummed out because I think (speculation haven't beaten it yet) I heard a small shade tell me it loves me and I just noticed they keep dropping different types of children's books and when the Legion shade gets close you can hear the entire city talking and when the king of Facade killed that wolf it looked really sad and said something and oh god this game is gonna get depressing isn't it

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
You have no idea.

Syvere
Apr 25, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Edit: About the languages, I'm pretty sure Facade speaks really broken Japanese.

No, they don't. It's just gibberish.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ok I think I figured out what New Game + is gonna reveal and now I'm kinda bummed out because I think (speculation haven't beaten it yet) I heard a small shade tell me it loves me

When did that happen?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Facade really is a broken version of some modern city. They travel via underground tunnels (subways), have layers and layers of bureaucracy and rules and the rich live high up in the buildings and the poor low to the ground (tower blocks etc.). It's like they have some residual memory of a major city and are trying their best to replicate it somehow.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: Wired also has an interview on the subject http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/03/nier-interview/

Thanks for the link! The Japanese sure love making important character information as ambiguous and unclear as possible in-game (see every JRPG ever).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Syvere posted:

No, they don't. It's just gibberish.

I've definitely heard some Japanese words in there though, or fragments of some. Even if it's made up it has a structure based on some language, you can hear the same things repeated.

Renoistic posted:

When did that happen?

I was probably hearing things in the weird noises they make when they die but it sounded like one said it in the Manor Basement

Ddraig posted:

Facade really is a broken version of some modern city. They travel via underground tunnels (subways), have layers and layers of bureaucracy and rules and the rich live high up in the buildings and the poor low to the ground (tower blocks etc.). It's like they have some residual memory of a major city and are trying their best to replicate it somehow.

Which sounds to me like Japan :shobon:
I dunno, just a theory.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Sanders told me that the official Japanese page for Nier literally says that Kaine is a hermaphrodite (両性具有). But you're right, it's never explicitly acknowledged in game, just hinted at. It's definitely not due to the shade as the novel parts refer to it as being the case even before that.

The part I don't get is why Tyrann is possessing her at all since I thought Shades could only possess their original bodies or something. Whatever.

Originally I wasn't going to savescum for ending D but now I think I'm probably going to use a USB drive just because I don't want to screw myself out of future DLC. Feels like a lousy thing to have to do though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I swear I've heard the Shades say weird little English sayings as well, mainly "Thank you" and "I'm sorry".

Also because I got some random money out of nowhere, I decided to be completely crazy and order NieR RepliCant for the hell of it. I think at this point I've drunk so much Nier kool-aid I'm pissing sad cyanide. Maybe I'll even Platinum it too, so it and Gestalt can be all "Wut up" and chill together on my list.

Xythar posted:

Originally I wasn't going to savescum for ending D but now I think I'm probably going to use a USB drive just because I don't want to screw myself out of future DLC. Feels like a lousy thing to have to do though.

This is exactly what happened to me. I had gotten all the poo poo in the game done aside from the Time Attack trophy and I was gonna take Ending D and be all "Yeah I took it like a man :smug:" but then the day before I was gonna do it they announced Recycled Vessel so I wussed out and copied my save.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
So, speaking of the DLC, is there a good time in the game to go ahead and buy it? How do you start it?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Marund posted:

So, speaking of the DLC, is there a good time in the game to go ahead and buy it? How do you start it?

I'd recommend waiting until you're in the second half before buying Recycled Vessel, some of the stuff in it is pretty difficult if you don't know how to approach it or don't have the level to back yourself up. All you do is download, install, go to Nier's house and examine his wife's diary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Marund posted:

I'd recommend playing it when you're done with your ~3 playthroughs so you're at a high enough level for it.

You start it at any time by examining an object in your house.

• Locked thread