Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Just a heads up: Top Billin dropped a poo poo ton of new EPs from their stable of artists. I linked koobra in a earlier post, but theres so much good stuff in here.

Have a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molotov Yogurt
Nov 29, 2000

buff man riddim
Dirty South Dance 2 is out!

http://atrak.bandcamp.com/album/dirty-south-dance-2

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Dono posted:

:frogout: No really.

On a positive note, music festivals (ahem, Ultra, Nocturnal, Electric Zoo) like this are pretty exciting and probably the best excuse to cut loose, dance, and just have an amazing experience :lsd:

Give it a try unless you're the anti-social goon we know you are.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LOL ya that isn't possible to have a carefreetime time at a party that costs less than $100 to attend, isn't filled with a bunch of my-first-rave-teenagers not knowing their limits, but still has the same caliber of artists.

Besides, drugs are really easy to bring in and cop at even mid-sized massives, but when they start getting more people than a baseball game, security becomes a totally different thing. So I don't see how dancing around at a multi-million dollar event lets you have the best possible time. But if all you've seen as a Southern Californian are those massives and not really anything else (especially if you're younger than 21 or not clued in to the illegal party scene), I can see how you'd have a skewed perspective.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 17, 2010

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
People can have fun at both massives and smaller concerts. People need to get over their lovely feelings that some type of people at concerts are somehow "inferior". Although there are people that are annoying as gently caress, they came to enjoy the music as much as you did. So people need to get over their feelings and just go have fun at concerts.

That being said, the new A-Trak is sickkkkkk.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

The Fresh Prince posted:

People can have fun at both massives and smaller concerts. People need to get over their lovely feelings that some type of people at concerts are somehow "inferior". Although there are people that are annoying as gently caress, they came to enjoy the music as much as you did. So people need to get over their feelings and just go have fun at concerts.

That being said, the new A-Trak is sickkkkkk.

I feel you, but you called a party a "concert" and you complimented present-day A-trak... so I don't know what to think!

Of COURSE people can have a good time at EDC. They wouldn't throw it, tens of thousands of people wouldn't come out if the kids there didn't enjoy themselves. But you can't tell me some velvet rope bullshit with a VIP lounge is the epitome of rave-music mentality, or that there's a lot of "we're all one" vibes at a place with a separate room for people who spent more.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons

ManoliIsFat posted:

I feel you, but you called a party a "concert" and you complimented present-day A-trak... so I don't know what to think!

Of COURSE people can have a good time at EDC. They wouldn't throw it, tens of thousands of people wouldn't come out if the kids there didn't enjoy themselves. But you can't tell me some velvet rope bullshit with a VIP lounge is the epitome of rave-music mentality, or that there's a lot of "we're all one" vibes at a place with a separate room for people who spent more.

psssshhhhh present day A-Trak owns Manoli and you know it.

also: we used to get our drugs into WEMF every year by digging out the center of a peanut butter jar, puttin the big ol baggie in the middle and then covering it up. then we would go "oh oops here's a glass jam jar and we're not allowed to have glass and the security dude checking the car would forget about the drug search and just take the jam and be all like "tsk tsk, silly kids".

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

ManoliIsFat posted:

Yeah the VIP stuff is pretty dumb. Plus it's not even a good deal.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

The Fresh Prince posted:

Yeah the VIP stuff is pretty dumb. Plus it's not even a good deal.

FYI: VIPshit at these things is always dumb. always.

unless im promoting the gig and want to make 150 bones extra off the herbs. then it's a great idea.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Threatis posted:

psssshhhhh present day A-Trak owns Manoli and you know it.
Ahahah, that was just my lame attempt at a burn. I had to drop something caustic! Of COURSE I'm gonna think being a turntable champion of the world is better than being to toast of Hollywood. Of course atrak is a G.

I love electronic music with all my heart, I've had the time of my life at many a massive. Like I still remember this one 4 hour Planet Of The Drums set and I rolled with all the 16 year olds and it was just the best time and I will never forget it. But by the same token, I'd take a 200 person party over a 20,000 person party any day.

quote:

also: we used to get our drugs into WEMF every year by digging out the center of a peanut butter jar, puttin the big ol baggie in the middle and then covering it up. then we would go "oh oops here's a glass jam jar and we're not allowed to have glass and the security dude checking the car would forget about the drug search and just take the jam and be all like "tsk tsk, silly kids".

ahahah did the pills or whatever smell like peanut butter after?

that could potentially be good, cover up the sour-"thizz face" taste.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

ManoliIsFat posted:

Ahahah, that was just my lame attempt at a burn. I had to drop something caustic! Of COURSE I'm gonna think being a turntable champion of the world is better than being to toast of Hollywood. Of course atrak is a G.

I love electronic music with all my heart, I've had the time of my life at many a massive. Like I still remember this one 4 hour Planet Of The Drums set and I rolled with all the 16 year olds and it was just the best time and I will never forget it. But by the same token, I'd take a 200 person party over a 20,000 person party any day.

ahahah did the pills or whatever smell like peanut butter after?

that could potentially be good, cover up the sour-"thizz face" taste.

not at all they were in like 10 layers of saran wrap. it's a trick i learned from a buddy of mine who was a pro skater and toured all the time. i think he learned it from Big Brother magazine back in the day.

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...
I cannot stop listening to this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDjgJOBwPZU&hd=1

Moby - Wait For Me (Carl Cox Remix)

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Saw this pop up on diplos twitter.

Dirty south 2 is nuts.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Why would you hide your drugs in peanut butter when you have a perfectly good rear end in a top hat?
I agree with Manoli, the vibe tends to be better at smaller parties, or the more remote festivals where everyone's camping out in the woods and going crazy. But massives are something that should be experienced at least once.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

etard knievel posted:

Why would you hide your drugs in peanut butter when you have a perfectly good rear end in a top hat?
I agree with Manoli, the vibe tends to be better at smaller parties, or the more remote festivals where everyone's camping out in the woods and going crazy. But massives are something that should be experienced at least once.

what about the desert?

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

etard knievel posted:

i was hiding my blow in there.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
That takes smelling your own farts to a whole other level

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Threatis posted:

unless im promoting the gig and want to make 150 bones extra off the herbs. then it's a great idea.

Amateurs make 150.

Pro make 250-420 dollars.

and sell them all out.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

incoherent posted:

Amateurs make 150.

Pro make 250-420 dollars.

and sell them all out.

aaaaahahahaahaha what was the lineup for a lovely gig like that?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

http://www.guerillaunion.com/smokeout/

e: tell me how much bad brains sucks k thx.

e2: yeah it was terrible

incoherent fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 18, 2010

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

incoherent posted:

http://www.guerillaunion.com/smokeout/

e: tell me how much bad brains sucks k thx.

the fact that one of my favorite bands ever (Bab Brains) are billed after the deftones, pennywise, slipknot, andsublime is loving sad as hell.

JimmyJazz
May 22, 2007
hmmm 420 dollars i bet that was not arbitrarily priced at all

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Threatis posted:

the fact that one of my favorite bands ever (Bab Brains) are billed after the deftones, pennywise, slipknot, andsublime is loving sad as hell.

i mean, have you heard them recently?

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Slackerish posted:

i mean, have you heard them recently?

dont care they still rule.

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

ever since I could remember I been poppin' mah collar
Finally getting my first set next month and hopefully more to come!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Pres posted:

Finally getting my first set next month and hopefully more to come!

Congrats!

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Molotov Yogurt posted:

Dirty South Dance 2 is out!

http://atrak.bandcamp.com/album/dirty-south-dance-2

something is happening in my ears

and I think I like it

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Threatis posted:

yo, just want to point out the mushroom jazz comps as easily some of the better poo poo out there. i can think of 100 reasons to hate farina, and mushroom jazz makes all of them null and void

Ok so I went and checked out the mushroom jazz compilations.

WOW.

I love em. Went and bought some on AmazonMP3.

What genre is this considered? This isn't really "house" is it? And what else should I check out if I really like the Mushroom Jazz series?

Lowbo
Jan 16, 2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushroom_Jazz

There are the tracklists. Look up other work by the artists featured. See what labels they release on, and find other artists on those labels. Branch out like that.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

HOT new chipmunk disco track from Treasure Fingers - What Am I Supposed to Do in 320

Lowness 72 posted:

What genre is this considered? This isn't really "house" is it? And what else should I check out if I really like the Mushroom Jazz series?

LOL, kids these days. It's deep house, the housiest house there is. Check out Om Records, Naked Music, Transport, Stickman, Deep Dish and Yoshitoshi.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

etard knievel posted:

HOT new chipmunk disco track from Treasure Fingers - What Am I Supposed to Do in 320

LOL, kids these days. It's deep house, the housiest house there is. Check out Om Records, Naked Music, Transport, Stickman, Deep Dish and Yoshitoshi.

I always thought this was like "Acid Jazz" or whatever. What's the difference between Acid Jazz and Deep House?

Kerk
Feb 9, 2008

Since 1992

Mr Viper posted:

I cannot stop listening to this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDjgJOBwPZU&hd=1

Moby - Wait For Me (Carl Cox Remix)

Wow this great, anymore tunes in this style of sort of chilled out deep house?

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Lowness 72 posted:

I always thought this was like "Acid Jazz" or whatever. What's the difference between Acid Jazz and Deep House?

Acid jazz has a breakbeat and it's slower like hip hop / trip hop / chillout. Deep house has a 4 4 kick. Some of the mixes have a little of both IIRC.

*edit: actually, maybe I'm the one who was confused - the Mushroom Jazz series is mostly acid jazz style breaksy stuff now that i relisten to the ones i have, Mark Farina has put out a lot of house mixes tho. Anyway, you're right, I'd probably say Chillout but Acid Jazz is close enough.

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 20, 2010

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Didnt know Boy 8 bit had a bbc essential mix last week, gonna have to give that a listen pronto.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

LE0N posted:

Didnt know Boy 8 bit had a bbc essential mix last week, gonna have to give that a listen pronto.

its pretty amazing

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
It may have been posted 10+ pages back (I'm pretty sure it wasn't), but I've been really jamming out to this recently and I'm sure some of our infrequent lurkers will enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79rshLqxRVI

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

LE0N posted:

for interested parties: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00s9xkd/BBC_Radio_1s_Essential_Mix_Boy_8_Bit/

Lowbo
Jan 16, 2010

LE0N posted:

Whaaaat? I need to get on top of that.

etard knievel posted:

This is a sick sick song. Definitely a step up from his previous work. I haven't ever been a huge fan of Treasure Fingers but I've been rinsing the poo poo out of this lately.

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...
Underworld - Shiver
produced by High Motherfucking Contrast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHs8LxPepKU&hd=1

:dance: :woop: :dance: :woop: :dance: :woop: :dance: :woop: :dance: :woop: :dance: :woop: :dance:

Mr Viper fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 20, 2010

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Mr Viper posted:

Underworld - Shiver
produced by High Motherfucking Contrast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHs8LxPepKU&hd=1

:dance: :woop: :dance: :woop: :dance: :woop: :dance: :woop: :dance: :woop: :dance: :woop: :dance:

i don't know, sounds pretty average to me. then again, i thought their last album was pretty lightweight too. certainly a far cry from the days of beaucoup fish and belters like rez. still hope to catch them live one of these days, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...
I think if you consider it to be a split between UW and High Contrast, it's a great track. It's missing a little something to be a real underworld track, I agree. But that synth (especially the backing ones) has that solid underworld feel