Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Cross_ posted:

Hello there fellow male sewer :hfive: v- Sure.. :airquote:seamster:airquote:

It's "stitch bitch", and sewing machines are essentially power tools. What are you waiting for??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Muffy_the_Diver posted:

Do you guys have any good resources (preferably cheap/online) for different eras of clothing? I'm looking at 1850s through 1980s+. There are a lot of different styles I like, but I'm having one heck of a time pinpointing what the style is called, or what era/region it is from. Some sort of reference/textbook would be ideal. I'm especially partial to fashions from the 1910s-1950s, so if there's something that mostly focuses on that timespan and only lightly touches on the rest, I'm fine with that.

I like 'Costume: 1066 to 1990' for the general shapes of the clothing from different eras. It can be had cheaply and seems to turn up secondhand fairly often.

For an online resource, I'd try http://www.costumes.org/ it has got some free patterns on there, as well as an awful lot of links and resources for hair, hats, etc.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

Muffy_the_Diver posted:

I'm also looking for a good, solid "basics of sewing" type resource. Things like "oh, this here pleat is called a french dart. These weird wavy sleeve things are called such-and-such. Pencil skirts look like this, and here is how they differ from, say, a-line. This is how you make ruffles without a stupid ruffle-foot ( :argh: )" If it included some sort of step-by-step how-to, that would be icing on the cake. Oh, and an explanation for the various types of fabric (organza, tweed, tulle, etc) would be awesome as my fabric knowledge is pretty much limited to corduroy, muslin, and "that stretchy stuff." I do have the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing, although I've never actually seriously looked through it.
I can't help on the eras of clothing, but you need to put the two bolded parts up there together. You have a really good resource you're not using.

Muffy_the_Diver
Oct 19, 2004

ALL ABOARD THE BUTT TRAIN

Molly Bloom posted:

I like 'Costume: 1066 to 1990' for the general shapes of the clothing from different eras. It can be had cheaply and seems to turn up secondhand fairly often.

For an online resource, I'd try http://www.costumes.org/ it has got some free patterns on there, as well as an awful lot of links and resources for hair, hats, etc.

Costumes.org looks like almost exactly what I'm after - thank you! I'll also keep an eye out for the book; most of the reviews I'm seeing bemoan the fact that it gives such a brief snapshot of each era, but that's actually really in line with what I'm after, so I'm hopeful!

handbags at dawn posted:

I can't help on the eras of clothing, but you need to put the two bolded parts up there together. You have a really good resource you're not using.

I actually started reading through it last night after posting, and you're absolutely right. It has, like, twenty pages on nothing but different fabrics and weaves and textures and... I am really excited. :shobon:

Thanks for the suggestions! Once I get some proper sewing learnin' under my belt and start projects, I'll be sure to share. My last major endeavour turned out abysmally; I made a halter dress and wound up making it too big, then cut away (instead of folding back and stitching) bits around the zipper, and removed almost 6" too much. This was two summers ago and I've been too fed up to even think of touching my machine since. I think I'm ready to try again, though; you guys are awesome inspiration. :)

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
I don't know if anyone here need to make mannequins for any reason, but I just thought I'd share my cheap-manny-production technique. Let me tell you from experience, this is a much better method than using duct tape only.

1) Acquire a restaurant sized roll of saran-wrap. Restaurant supply stores will have it, it costs about $20. Also pick up a roll or two of duct tape and lots of old newspapers.

2) Find a very patient friend or someone that owes you big time.

3) Wrap them in plastic wrap, many layers thick, until it's no longer transparent. This might take a awhile. Bring snacks for your model and helpers.

4) Use duct tape to reinforce the armpit, crotch, knees, wrists and ankles. Also put a strip of tape where you're going to cut it apart. I put it from the neck down the arm to the wrist, and from ankles up to the armpits.

(should looks something like this!)

5) Cut it off, trying very hard not to cut your model (I got poor betty twice :( )

6) Re-tape the seams that you just cut, and stuff with newspaper or whatever.

7) if you want feet or hands, you can do them separately and attach them. Heads will have to be made up yourself, don't think you should wrap your friend's head in saran wrap.

8) Yay! Now you have a light, portable version of your friend! In my case, I'm suspending them from the ceiling, so they don't need to be self-supporting, but I'm sure you could figure out how to put an armature in there before you stuff it!

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

oh... so you ARE sick....
Hey, I want to buy fabric online. Does anyone have a source for cheapish cashmere jersey?

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Finally finished the second shirt I was working on and took some pictures.
This one's mine.. mostly silk ordered from Dharma Trading and dyed with Royal Blue. The collar came out much larger than expected, so I modified it by adding some boning and hooks:

..and here's my dad's birthday present :ssh:

Noteworthy items: removable collar stays and nice cuff plackets. There are also cool side seam gussets but they aren't visible in these pictures.

Godfrey
May 29, 2004

Excellent!
:rereads entire thread: Holy Crap am I a novice compared to all of you.

That said I'm just recently getting into sewing I've made two sets of pillow cases and I thought it would be a great idea to bite off more than I could chew by attempting to make a vest with hood. (I will make this so differently if I ever attempt to again.)

Not much to critique but I thought I'd share my work.

A B
The first things I made..
Pillow Case A

Pillow Case B

Click here for the full 540x720 image.

and the Vest.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Does anyone here know of software to turn 3d models into 2d patterns ?
So far my google skills have only revealed

Plushie- which is buggy and not actively maintained:
http://www.den.rcast.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~yuki/plushie/index-e.html

PatternImage- which looks awesome but costs $5000 :aaa:
http://www.livesforce.com/PatternImage.html

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Cross_ posted:

Does anyone here know of software to turn 3d models into 2d patterns ?
So far my google skills have only revealed

Plushie- which is buggy and not actively maintained:
http://www.den.rcast.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~yuki/plushie/index-e.html

PatternImage- which looks awesome but costs $5000 :aaa:
http://www.livesforce.com/PatternImage.html

I didn't know this software was even an option in pattern-making.

You just made my life a thousand times simpler. Thanks!

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
I did ? I just pointed out two options that aren't really viable. :confused:

Anyway, the next two applications to try out are Pepakura and Blender. Both allow unwrapping of 3d models into 2d. Blender is free and somewhat tricky to use. After spending 4 hours last night I have a pattern but it's distorted. There's one more thing to try though, hopefully that fixes it tonight.

I have not tried Pepakura/Papercraft yet and don't know how hard it would be to convince the app to use different seam allowances instead of the tiny default.

v-- Oh, glad to be of service in that case :D

Cross_ fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 15, 2010

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Cross_ posted:

I did ? I just pointed out two options that aren't really viable. :confused:

PatternImage and EasyToy are exactly what I've apparently been looking for to speed up the workflow of my stuffed animal business.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Not sure where I should ask this, so I'll try here.

Does anybody know where I can find a few of those vintage-looking wire womens busts? I'm talking about the ones that look like a skeletal cage that maybe a dress can be hung from, not the ones that you pin things to or can resize.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

Just got back from Japan and did some serious fabric shopping while I was there - it was heaven!

Made a bag so far:

Please excuse the lack of ironing! And I have so many things planned, I just don't know where to start.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
Is that paint-by-numbers fabric? Awesome.

I got a new sewing machine and am making an extremely loud mat to set it on (mostly an excuse to use some scraps and learn how to make flying geese):

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Cross, my old boss used to work in soft goods/bag manufacturing and used *I THINK* solidworks or rhino to unfold 3d patterns into 2d.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Doop doop got my second and last piece done and photographed. Some selections from the 68 picture series! (I'm not doing them as animations any more, I'm just displaying a print out of the sequence)

Click here for the full 1200x1800 image.

Undies, recycled army-navy tank tops, shirts.

Cotton sheeting shirt, felted wool skirt with silk ruffle, leather, suede and mesh leggings.

The back

Got her embroidered neck piece, felted intasia arm warmers, wool, leather, fur shoes, corded wool vest.

Hurray it's an ombre dyed lining.

Doop doop it's a cape, recycled wool tweed and cotton flannel, hand-carved buttons.

Hood goes up like so.

More pictures will show up on my blog at some point, too lazy to do it tonight.

Artemisia
Jun 27, 2002

Fetish
So, I totally feel like this doesn't belong in here with everyone's serious business sewing work, but I'm excited about my weird project and want to share it.

I vend my paintings at a festival in Baltimore each spring called Flowermart. I look at the silly floral hats in the hat competition they have every year and go "pshhhh I could win that." So this year I made a hat.

It's a tribute to the "Poe Toaster," who leaves a bottle of cognac and three roses on Poe's original gravesite here in Baltimore each year. Well, each year but this one...he didn't show up this year, sadly.

I have no idea if I'll win the contest with this monstrosity but I hope it either amuses people or upsets old ladies.

(click to enbiggen)

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
That hat is amazing if you don't win I'll be very sad

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Stopping by at the local Jo-Ann's I found out that they now carry pre-gathered fabric. Just buy a yard, add a side seam, straps, and hem it. Et voilą - the :10bux: summer dress:

MaineMan
Jan 10, 2006
This may be kind of off-topic, but my friends and I have been discussing making cloaks lately. I've come to the realization that I have no sewing machine, and have enlisted the help of a friend's mom. She said if I supply the fabric, she would be willing to sew it for me (she made a cloak for my friend when he was in 8th grade, and told me I could just have that.. but I'm definitely larger than my friend was 10 years ago).

I'd like it to be something I could take out camping and stuff, so I was thinking some type of waterproof material lined with fleece. But, I don't know if this would block wind, and wind-blocking and water-proofing are my main two qualifiers. Being that I'm completely ignorant of fabrics available at a place like Jo-Ann's fabrics, could anyone recommend some fabrics to me?

MaineMan fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 3, 2010

Artemisia
Jun 27, 2002

Fetish

MaakHatt posted:

waterproof, wind proof cloak materials

Wool would be a good choice. It might not keep you totally dry in extended, torrential rain, but otherwise it has some degree of natural waterproofing to it, as long as you don't wash it with fabric softener. It will also keep you very toasty.

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006

Cross_ posted:

Stopping by at the local Jo-Ann's I found out that they now carry pre-gathered fabric. Just buy a yard, add a side seam, straps, and hem it. Et voilą - the :10bux: summer dress:

Haha, you found my secret! I have some material in that exact pattern as well as about 4 others waiting for me to sew them. I've made a couple every year for 3-4 years now. Jo-Ann's only buys that fabric once a year in early spring, and when it's gone they don't order more, so you have to grab it as soon as it comes in for the best selection (usually late March/early April). They carry it in all different lengths too, from minidress to lower-calf length. Literally half my summer wardrobe is these dresses, and not one of em cost me more than 12-13 bucks to make.

All you have to do is to buy about an inch less than your bra strap size, and use a 5/8" seam allowance. I always add straps too (I'm kinda small-boobed so the straps come in handy in holding it up, haha) so add an inch or so of material for that. You don't even need to cut that material (well, you do the shirred part), it tears perfectly. This stuff is a lazy seamstresses dream.

I just finished a sundress made from sheer georgette (er, I think that's what it was...) with a lining. Woah, it was a pain, but it turned out pretty good...I'll have to get some pics posted of it.

Cerri fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 4, 2010

concreteelephant
Jul 13, 2009

Goldaline posted:

:aaaaa:

That looks great, especially the leggings! Suddenly I'm so dissatisfied with contemporary clothing trends...

Schistosity
May 15, 2009

Came back from Jo Ann's yesterday with some beautiful fabric that I just had to buy. So I decided to make an awesome skirt!

Since it's just cotton, I wanted some additional weight so I lined it with some white muslin. After a wash, it'll hang quite nicely. It's the first clothing item I've sewn in probably 5 years. I forgot how enjoyable sewing is.

ludosti
Feb 25, 2007

Cute, but psycho

Artemisia posted:

(click to enbiggen)

I love it! Even if they're totally crazy and you don't win, it is still an awesome hat.

For all you sewers looking for a quick and fun way to use your fabric scraps, check out Dolly Donations. It's great way to make something cute from stuff you probably already have and help out some little kids!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Schistosity posted:

Came back from Jo Ann's yesterday with some beautiful fabric that I just had to buy. So I decided to make an awesome skirt!

Since it's just cotton, I wanted some additional weight so I lined it with some white muslin. After a wash, it'll hang quite nicely. It's the first clothing item I've sewn in probably 5 years. I forgot how enjoyable sewing is.

Is that a galaxy print with planets and nebulas and what not?

Schistosity
May 15, 2009

madlilnerd posted:

Is that a galaxy print with planets and nebulas and what not?

Why yes it is. The colors are so vibrant too!

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo
I read through this entire thread before even having a sewing machine. I've been teaching myself how to use a machine, slowly working up to actually sewing. (I knew absolutely NOTHING. Really.) I finally worked up the courage and completed this sewing tutorial. I skimped on a few of the directions (I wanted instant results dammit!) but my pillow turned out just fine! Since it was my first project, I was going to leave it plain, but I decided to put something on there to jazz it up a little, and added some simple crocheted flowers. I think it turned out rather cute, but that could just be from the joy of having completed my first sewing project ever!

The seams are relatively straight, and the pillow-form actually fit when I was done! Hooray!

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Anyone know of a source of really thin leather (skiver)? I just found out about it and the place I was referrer to http://www.riorondo.com/ is all out of the dyed colors.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
I indulged myself this weekend and got an embroidery machine. It's even cooler than watching an inkjet put on layers of color. :neckbeard:
So you can join the fun I thought I'd offer free (+S/H) embroidery to whoever is interested. Just shoot me an email with the desired bitmap to embroider: grubertm@@hotmail.com

pepsigloworm posted:

The seams are relatively straight, and the pillow-form actually fit when I was done! Hooray!
Congratulations ! :)
You might want to take a look at this- it's a pretty darn good beginner's guide: Sew-Everything-Workshop-Step-Step

Jo-Ann's actually has a couple of space themed cotton prints. I have been tempted to buy that stuff but don't know what to use it for. Turning this into a shirt would make you look like a pimp or Vegas high roller methinks.

Cross_ fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 17, 2010

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
My studio mate, as we were moving out of our studio, gifted me a stack of silk she had dyed a while back. She loves gradations almost as much as I do, and I was so happy to be able to add it to my crazy-person stash of bright scraps. To show my gratitude, I made here a quick-and-simple log cabin pillow so she could keep a wee bit of it around.

The colors are much more accurate in this picture, it's a great silk, got a little iridescence to it.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Is there a tutorial online that demonstrates how weird sewing feet work? The bernina I inherited has a ton of feet that came with it and the manual I found for it online is really tiny, pixelated and unhelpful.

Apkallu
May 8, 2007

Not an Anthem posted:

Is there a tutorial online that demonstrates how weird sewing feet work?

Old ones or new ones? The newest Threads mag (July 2010) has a few pages on vintage feet - page each on a seemingly magical hemmer, a pleat/tuck, and an edge stitcher.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

These would be original with the machine which is 60's. Is Threads available online?

edit- preferably looking for online tutorials as I'm broke getting woodturning supplies..

Apkallu
May 8, 2007
I checked the website and they don't have that article - they might in the future. I did, however, find a random blog that covers two of the same feet, with virtually identical instructions, that predates the publication.

I also found a British website that shows decent-looking videos, pretty clear, but assumes you know what each bizarro foot is called.

(Of course, this coming from someone who tries to do everything with one foot. My zipper foot's been missing for years.)

ludosti
Feb 25, 2007

Cute, but psycho

Not an Anthem posted:

Is there a tutorial online that demonstrates how weird sewing feet work? The bernina I inherited has a ton of feet that came with it and the manual I found for it online is really tiny, pixelated and unhelpful.

If you strike out online, you could take pics and post them here. I'll bet we'd be able to identify them all for you.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

ludosti posted:

If you strike out online, you could take pics and post them here. I'll bet we'd be able to identify them all for you.

I did this for an old Elna machine I inherited from my grandmother (posted a few pages back) and everyone here was very helpful with the answers. You might even have similar feet to the ones I posted.

Nexus-6
Mar 26, 2008

somewhere in a land of cotton candy and pinwheels where the air smells like sugar kisses
I'm hoping you guys can offer some advice. I'm looking to buy a sewing machine, but I don't need it to do anything mega fancy; I'll mostly be using it to mend stuff.

I definitely know how to sew, I was a costume design major in college, so I don't need a machine for n00bs, but I no longer have access to the 1980s metal Singer tank that was my mother's, as I moved to another state.
In looking at new machines online, it seems like everything is really plasticy and digital. Should I get a new machine? Hunt for an old one?

I'm hoping to spend around a hundred bucks, is that unrealistic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Nexus-6 posted:

I'm hoping you guys can offer some advice. I'm looking to buy a sewing machine, but I don't need it to do anything mega fancy; I'll mostly be using it to mend stuff.

I definitely know how to sew, I was a costume design major in college, so I don't need a machine for n00bs, but I no longer have access to the 1980s metal Singer tank that was my mother's, as I moved to another state.
In looking at new machines online, it seems like everything is really plasticy and digital. Should I get a new machine? Hunt for an old one?

I'm hoping to spend around a hundred bucks, is that unrealistic?

Based on your desire for a metal machine and your price range, I'd recommend checking out the local thrift stores in your area. I have seen PLENTY of older Singers while out looking for fabric at thrift stores.

Check craigslist too!