Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Strange Matter posted:

Cielo is useless.

At the very end, the game will indicate very clearly that you're at a point of no return. If you proceed further it leads to the final boss. But if you turn back, you will be able to backtrack to some earlier locations and fight some great optional bosses that will unlock the game's ultimate skill lists and give you items that transfer over to Digital Devil Saga 2.

In 1 he's pretty much useless, since Null Ailment is in such a weird-rear end place, and the status attacks (while still good) are not quite as absolutely amazing. In 2, he's very very much worth using, because the Ailment line is wonderful, the enemies ease up on hitting his weakness a fair bit, and he and Gale are the only two characters you can reliably tote along for the majority of the game.

Other than that, use Analyze/Spyglass like crack, and exploit every single weakness as hard and often as you can, it gives you extra turns. Try to eat pretty much every enemy to kill it, as was said--you won't be able to level up for crap without doing that. That, and levelling up a character's weak element
(Fire for Serph, Force for Argilla, etc) are the two most important things you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Fray Joker posted:

Just got Nier in the post. Given it's Square Enix, I'm almost expecting for there to be missibles. Wouldn't mind a few other gameplay or combat tips if you got them.

It's not actually made by Square Enix, from what i gather the company that made it are massive trolls so yeah, i'm guessing there will be missables

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem

Polite Tim posted:

It's not actually made by Square Enix, from what i gather the company that made it are massive trolls so yeah, i'm guessing there will be missables

Kind of, Cavia are know for this but in Nier, not so much, just really look, look everywhere. Also, don't read any spoilers of the game, it's to great to miss, the combat might not be the best, but the story is really touching... once you play the game twice...

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Morpheus posted:

Yeah there's a good amount of stuff:

- One of the biggest ones is to talk to the man in the Raejack in the inn, who wants to make a mech game. After this, go to the 'From Cave' after every temple to talk to him to progress his game.
- In Raejack, you have to talk to a man in who can't decide who to marry and help him pick a bride. This event disappears upon clearing the Desert Temple.
- In Ortego, talk to the three people lined up below the northeast bottle salesman for a little event. This event disappears upon clearing the Desert Temple.
- For the Ultima Book, talk to the man in front of the central house in Ortego after the Desert Temple. Note that this event requires the water fetch quest to be completed. This event disappears upon clearing the Aqua Temple.
- Also in Ortego, after beating the Aqua Temple, walk into the central house in Ortego. If you completed the water fetch quest, an event will occur. Strike the rock in the center of the room 10 times to break it and then talk to the man in the center. This event disappears upon clearing the Flame Temple.
- In Colneria, after the Aqua Temple, stay at the inn to see a dream sequence. This event disappears upon clearing the Flame Temple. You also have to stay here after the Flame Temple for another dream, before you go to the Wind Temple.
- Also in Colneria after the Aqua Temple, a new man will be standing at the very north end of Colneria. Talk to him and he'll tell you he's searching for his distant relative who is a prince. This is the first step in an event sequence. This event disappears upon clearing the Flame Temple. After the Flame Temple, there will be another guy here and you have to talk to him before beating the Wind Temple.
- Again, in Colneria, after the Flame Temple, talk to one of the girls standing around the center of town and she'll ask you to be her friend. Accept and she'll give you the Amethyst. This event disappears upon clearing the Wind Temple.

I think this is all of the missable stuff.

Man, that kind of game design is so... archaic. Basically, speak to everyone in the world after each temple, right?

Polite Tim posted:

Something tells me you didn't like Drakengard.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

21stCentury posted:

Man, that kind of game design is so... archaic. Basically, speak to everyone in the world after each temple, right?

Well yeah you're talking about a game that was deliberately designed to be archaic. Besides it's not like you need everything to finish it without it being super hard or something.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fray Joker posted:

Oh and while I'm at it. I've got Fifa 10 I haven't had time to play yet. It's the first sports game I've ever owned, so any general skills that might apply would be great along with tips for Fifa 10.

If you're American, the first thing is pass pass pass pass. Always be passing. Sprinting is pretty much for stopping opponent passes, stealing, or making that final breakaway to take a shot on goal.

Learn the difference between the chip shot and the precision shot. For that matter, you usually only need to lightly tap the shot button and coming to a slight stop before shooting greatly increases your accuracy. The chip shot is used to kick it over the goalies hands when he comes in to try and steal the ball from you, and the precision shot is for when he hangs back and you need to angle it away from him.

Crossing is pressing the square/x button twice in rapid succession.

Once you've gotten passing down, a 5-2-2-1 or or 4-5-1 formation can be incredibly dominating as it lets you constantly shift to the offense, and using your d-pad to switch your AI buddies offense v defense perspective.

If you want to play manager mode, and are with a big club, first thing you want to fully upgrade is stadium, then scouting, then goalie. Stadium gives you straight up more money, scouting lets you cheaply, quickly, and easily find new talent, and goalie just improves the one player you can't control.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

al-azad posted:

Well yeah you're talking about a game that was deliberately designed to be archaic. Besides it's not like you need everything to finish it without it being super hard or something.

That was the joke. It's archaic by design.

Maybe i should've made it clearer by saying the graphics sucked and that the animations were not lifelike enough?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm trying to get into Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 2 but it's so different from standard RTS games that I'm pretty lost. Anybody have any good tips?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

al-azad posted:

Also while I'm at it anyone play Men of War? I'm having fun but it's total bullshit that the first mission expects you and your 10 soviet soldiers to take on (literally) 150+ germans plus their tanks. Then the second mission begins and it (loving LITERALLY) gives you 200 dudes scattered across the map and says "lol defend yourself. on 8 fronts."

The KV-1 tank in the first mission is very hard to damage with what the Germans have, but you'll still want to keep infantry away from it. Direct control is the key to success.

The second mission has most of the guys set up pretty well at the beginning. You'll want to place as many mines as possible (Pick them up with a squad of guys, move to where you want to start laying them, click on the deploy mine button, and click where you want the minefield to extend to.)

In a pinch, the T-34 tank by the railyard is again superior to most anything the Germans show up with. And if you're feeling ballsy, any german vehicle that's got a disabled turret but is otherwise intact can be recovered and repaired.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

21stCentury posted:

That was the joke. It's archaic by design.

Maybe i should've made it clearer by saying the graphics sucked and that the animations were not lifelike enough?

Eh, sarcasm doesn't translate well into text.

Taerkar posted:

The KV-1 tank in the first mission is very hard to damage with what the Germans have, but you'll still want to keep infantry away from it. Direct control is the key to success.

The second mission has most of the guys set up pretty well at the beginning. You'll want to place as many mines as possible (Pick them up with a squad of guys, move to where you want to start laying them, click on the deploy mine button, and click where you want the minefield to extend to.)

In a pinch, the T-34 tank by the railyard is again superior to most anything the Germans show up with. And if you're feeling ballsy, any german vehicle that's got a disabled turret but is otherwise intact can be recovered and repaired.

What normally happens is the treads break and someone has to repair it which takes like 5 minutes and they get shredded in the process. Is there a special unit or character that repairs tanks real fast or can I use multiple people to repair? I think I'm going to tackle the second mission now because I straight up quit by feeling overwhelmed. This game's kind of fun and reminds me of what Commandos would be if you controlled entire squads. It also has the coolest "cover" system I've seen in a game.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I could use some help with Ground Control 2, specifically the Viron campaign. I'm getting my poo poo handed to me in the first mission.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS
Picked up the Humble Indie Game Bundle yesterday, so any hints on the following games would be appreciated. Preferably of the here's how you don't screw your self out of something awesome variety. Minimal spoilers please.

World Of Goo
Aquaria
Gish
Lugaru HD
Penumbra Overture
Samorost 2

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Argon_Sloth posted:

Picked up the Humble Indie Game Bundle yesterday, so any hints on the following games would be appreciated. Preferably of the here's how you don't screw your self out of something awesome variety. Minimal spoilers please.

World Of Goo
Aquaria
Gish
Lugaru HD
Penumbra Overture
Samorost 2

Penumbra Overture

You are terrible at fighting, sneak by the enemies instead. That said, on normal you can kill single enemies if you get the drop on them when they're alone, and you hit them again as soon as they stand but before they escape.

Rooms with involved puzzles beyond "block this entrance" often don't have enemies in them, so don't panic too much when trying to solve something.

In the first network of tunnels, after unlocking a wooden door and being told to barricade it on the other side, turn off or throw away all the paraffin lamps in the centre of the room you enter, or you'll make things more difficult when you try to solve the next puzzle.

In regards to enemies:

Mutant dogs appear in networks of corridors and patrol a set path. Don't get into a stand-up fight with them if you don't have to.

Spiders are found in small smoothed tunnels and hatch from leathery eggs. You can kill individual spiders without too much bother but run if there's more than one.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Oh awesome, I got the Indie Bundle as well. It didn't occur to me to ask for advice on it, that's cool about Penumbra.

What about Aquaria? I played the demo a while back but frankly it wasn't too taxing. Anything happen later I should prepare for? Anything missable?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Corridor posted:

Oh awesome, I got the Indie Bundle as well. It didn't occur to me to ask for advice on it, that's cool about Penumbra.

What about Aquaria? I played the demo a while back but frankly it wasn't too taxing. Anything happen later I should prepare for? Anything missable?

I'm pretty certain that there's nothing missable in it. As far as preparation, I'd get very used to moving with the keyboard while aiming attacks with the mouse. Later when you're trying to move in one direction and shoot in the other, just using the mouse can be a giant pain.

Also you can change forms using the number buttons (1,2,3, etc) instead of singing the songs. This is very useful, especially while surrounded by enemies.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Argon_Sloth posted:

World Of Goo

The game is simple enough, usually with multiple solutions to every problem, but the one thing you might want to know is that there kind of is a plot. You'll need to be almost done world 3 to get an idea of what it is, but it's there. The ugly graphics in world 4 only last for 2 levels iirc. You'll know what I mean when you see it. Finally, there's no benefit to getting all the OCD flags, except achievements.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

Morpheus posted:

I'm pretty certain that there's nothing missable in it. As far as preparation, I'd get very used to moving with the keyboard while aiming attacks with the mouse. Later when you're trying to move in one direction and shoot in the other, just using the mouse can be a giant pain.

Also you can change forms using the number buttons (1,2,3, etc) instead of singing the songs. This is very useful, especially while surrounded by enemies.

I've been using a game pad with moderate success. Because it's a cheap game pad the diagonals are a little hard to hit when it comes to songs, but other than that it works pretty well.

I probably didn't need to ask about World Of Goo. It's a pretty simple game, with signs to point out how the new goo balls work.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If you are into achievements then there is a pointer for Aquaria. The Super Chef achievement requires some work (and a FAQ) and you can end up having to do much more work if you use rare ingedients prematurely. It's generally a good idea to always keep 2 of each ingredient.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Is Saboteur noticeably better on the PC or Xbox?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Is Saboteur noticeably better on the PC or Xbox?

It's better on the PC... assuming you have an NVIDIA card. And by that I mean you literally can't get the game to run on an ATI card at all. They released a test patch in December (which doesn't work) and EA decided to cut their losses and leave it at that.

And publishers wonder why people pirate poo poo. I wouldn't gamble $50 on a game that literally ran on only a specific hardware setup without test running it first. That's what consoles are for.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!
Just bought Two Worlds for the PC from GOG. I've played the Xbox 360 version, so I'm fine with the gameplay, just wondering if there's any tweaks or anything I need to know about the PC version.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Mass Effect 1

Should I be maxing out things like Turian Agent, Krogon Battlemaster, Specter, etc. ASAP? I've been mostly just putting points in things to get them closer to a new unlock. I'm playing a Sentinel, btw.

Vita
Nov 7, 2009
Just picked up Tropico 3 from Steam's sale, what's the best way to get my economy going on any map?

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008

al-azad posted:

Eh, sarcasm doesn't translate well into text.

What normally happens is the treads break and someone has to repair it which takes like 5 minutes and they get shredded in the process. Is there a special unit or character that repairs tanks real fast or can I use multiple people to repair? I think I'm going to tackle the second mission now because I straight up quit by feeling overwhelmed. This game's kind of fun and reminds me of what Commandos would be if you controlled entire squads. It also has the coolest "cover" system I've seen in a game.

I learned this game by playing it at half-speed and pausing a lot. You really have to treat it as a "manage the chaos" game rather than expect to keep track of every unit. Once you learn the controls and hotkeys you'll be able to handle stuff on the fly better. Don't let anyone tell you different, though: this game is hard as balls.

Also: sacrificing a few guys to land a hit with an anti-tank grenade is usually worth it.

Specific to the 1st mission tank and to tanks generally, the treads are a lot more vulnerable than the front armor, so keep it faced towards AT guns (better yet, shoot the AT guns from far off with direct control).

Finally, it's a lot more fun in co-op, so get a friend to play with you!

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Additional Penumbra combat tip:

To fight the dogs just jump on a box that's low enough that they'll attack you, but high enough to be out of reach of their attacks (aka every box). You can just whack em with whatever pipe/crowbar/stick you have and they go down pretty easy.

Good for people like me who just want to hear the story and solve the puzzles :3:

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

21stCentury posted:

Something tells me you didn't like Drakengard.

Never played it, just going by what other goons have said. Do want to play Nier though, as it sounds pretty awesome, was just being pedantic about the publisher/developer thing

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
e: poo poo, wrong thread.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Capsaicin posted:

Mass Effect 1

Should I be maxing out things like Turian Agent, Krogon Battlemaster, Specter, etc. ASAP? I've been mostly just putting points in things to get them closer to a new unlock. I'm playing a Sentinel, btw.

I found those to be useful, but Mass Effect is generally easy enough that you aren't screwing yourself over by putting points in other things.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Alan wake. Am I missing anything important by not watching those Webisode things on the X-Box Marketplace, or is the story self-contained?

Doc EMP
Jun 10, 2004
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

poptart_fairy posted:

Alan wake. Am I missing anything important by not watching those Webisode things on the X-Box Marketplace, or is the story self-contained?

Self contained. Just think of them as added extras that delve a little bit deeper into the background of the setting.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Doc EMP posted:

Self contained. Just think of them as added extras that delve a little bit deeper into the background of the setting.

Ahhhhhh, cool. I'll watch them afterwards then. Only finished one Episode of the game so far but I'm absolutely enthralled - even the ending theme is a fantastic little addition to the 'TV Drama' feel.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Capsaicin posted:

Mass Effect 1

Definitely max out Spectre because that unlocks new levels of Charm and Intimidate, the other ones are up to you.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Capsaicin posted:

Mass Effect 1

I usually maxed them out because they gave bonuses to the stuff I was using the character for. You'll pretty much be able to get everything except maybe 1 gun or skill maxed out on your party by the end, if I remember correctly. Mass Effect does not punish you for pissing around with your skills. You could probably beat it with nothing but defaults. And always, if in doubt, set auto skill up to squad only and you won't have to worry about it.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I'm about two hours in to the Mac version of Torchlight, and love it although I don't feel like I understand it yet. Any advice in general, and for the Alchemist class in particular?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Picked up a Japanese Dreamcast copy of Marvel vs Capcom 2 for decently cheap at a con this weekend. Any special things I need to know about either the Japanese version in specific or the Dreamcast version in general that would be different from more modern ports?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Vita posted:

Just picked up Tropico 3 from Steam's sale, what's the best way to get my economy going on any map?

I've posted this on like every other page here, but I'll go for it again. Best way to get money is to lay down 3-4 tobacco or sugar farms (depending on your map type, if you can do both, heck, the more the merrier), then building a cigar factory or rum distillery. 1 factory paired with 4 farms will pretty much give you all the money you could ever want or need, anything else will just make building up faster and easier, but a fully upgraded rum distillery will generate something like 190,000 dollars a year.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Picked up a Japanese Dreamcast copy of Marvel vs Capcom 2 for decently cheap at a con this weekend. Any special things I need to know about either the Japanese version in specific or the Dreamcast version in general that would be different from more modern ports?

Unless I'm mis-remembering or mistaken, you'll basically never be able to unlock all of the characters in the JP version of the game without a gameshark or something similar due to the fact that some characters are only unlocked by (at the time) taking your VMU to japanese arcades and downloading character data from the arcade machines.

If you're looking to download the data on the VMU, if you check GameFAQ's Shenmue 1/2 FAQ pages there is a VMU hacking guide which will allow you to use the same method to place a "complete" VMU save of MVC2 with all characters unlocked onto your VMU.

VMU.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

OxMan posted:

Unless I'm mis-remembering or mistaken, you'll basically never be able to unlock all of the characters in the JP version of the game without a gameshark or something similar due to the fact that some characters are only unlocked by (at the time) taking your VMU to japanese arcades and downloading character data from the arcade machines.

If you're looking to download the data on the VMU, if you check GameFAQ's Shenmue 1/2 FAQ pages there is a VMU hacking guide which will allow you to use the same method to place a "complete" VMU save of MVC2 with all characters unlocked onto your VMU.

VMU.

Ah, dammit. That's what the insert in the manual was explaining. I'll look it up, thanks.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Palleon posted:

I've posted this on like every other page here, but I'll go for it again. Best way to get money is to lay down 3-4 tobacco or sugar farms (depending on your map type, if you can do both, heck, the more the merrier), then building a cigar factory or rum distillery. 1 factory paired with 4 farms will pretty much give you all the money you could ever want or need, anything else will just make building up faster and easier, but a fully upgraded rum distillery will generate something like 190,000 dollars a year.

The distillery does cost 10k more than the cigar factory though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Presentable
Dec 21, 2005
Any advice for the original Devil May Cry, I could only find DMC4 on the wiki.