Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

riding gravity
May 7, 2007

stoneb posted:

What the hell? 894 hits Manga Fox with no 893 in sight.

It looks like 894 was done by a different person than the one that usually releases it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Soup's up
http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/893/

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

OnimaruXLR posted:

Soup's up
http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/893/

Wait, wait, wait.

Ippo sinks the climactic punch because Woli tries to run away from the corner, where he's at his most untouchable, to a different, presumably less safe part of the ring?

It's like Ippo didn't have anything to do with this win.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fight is over.

Let us never speak of it again. Ever.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

Infinitum posted:

Fight is over.

Let us never speak of it again. Ever.

It may be over but we still have 4 more chapters of Ippo and Woli blowing each other because of how much they both love boxing so much more after that fight.

stoneb
Jan 8, 2009

by angerbotSD
Huh, this is the first climax of a story for which I've just felt a bored sense of relief.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Read 894 scanslated, and the last page just made me growl. Ugh. I hate that ending SO FREAKING MUCH. He better join the list of people we never hear from again, but I'm sure he'll at least make a few Hayami-esque cameos. Wonder if he'll go up/down a weight class and progress from there. There's no real good reason for them to fight again.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

Geop posted:

Read 894 scanslated, and the last page just made me growl. Ugh. I hate that ending SO FREAKING MUCH. He better join the list of people we never hear from again, but I'm sure he'll at least make a few Hayami-esque cameos. Wonder if he'll go up/down a weight class and progress from there. There's no real good reason for them to fight again.

maybe he'll have another 2 matches and fight frieza.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Geop posted:

Hayami wasn't that bad was he? It's been so long since I've read that

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

tbp posted:

Hayami wasn't that bad was he? It's been so long since I've read that
Oh, I'm not saying he was bad. It's just that given Woli's god-moding talent, I seriously doubt this'll be the last time we hear from him. Hayami has appeared several times, but it'd be real brief (ie: that music video spiel from the karaoke way back when, his fight against Kobashi, etc).

The Hayami fight was a great follow-up to the horrid Kobashi bout, though, because Ippo went against the Rookie King golden boy and smashed him in one round.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I hope we get more anime some day

Because I bet this, unlike the Magician fight, would be a lot less annoying animated and condensed to a little under an hour

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

OnimaruXLR posted:

I hope we get more anime some day

Because I bet this, unlike the Magician fight, would be a lot less annoying animated and condensed to a little under an hour
3rd season was green-lit I thought.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Fabricated posted:

3rd season was green-lit I thought.

The VA for takumura hinted it but as far as I know there hasn't been much word since the end of the Hawk fight, which was what, 6 plus months ago?

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

It's actually been nearly a year already I think, at least 9 months anyway.

Maybe it was just signalled that the intention was "there" for a next series but I bet DVD sales have been poo poo and put them off, as it's not like the series ever gets any better than Takamura vs Hawk, so if that doesn't sell, nothing will.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Yeah the New Challenger DVDs didn't even chart meaning none of the volumes ever did more than 800 copies sold.

So Deathy has a pretty safe wager.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
"What's this? The challenger gets back up! The fight isn't over! 30 more chapters to go in this epic battle!"

And then we all kill ourselves.

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine

KittenofDoom posted:

"What's this? The challenger gets back up! The fight isn't over! 30 more chapters to go in this epic battle!"

And then we all kill ourselves.

Pam wakes up in bed and finds the last 50 chapters missing. It was all a dream! Woli never really existed at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If it were all a dream, Ippo would wake up from his nightmare next to his wife. "Honey, I had the most horrible dream! I was so incredibly awkward that I could barely hold my girlfriend's hand after 5 years of dating and I kept fighting these ridiculous racist stereotypes."

Note: The wife would look just like Miyata.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

If it were all a dream, Ippo would wake up from his nightmare next to his wife. "Honey, I had the most horrible dream! I was so incredibly awkward that I could barely hold my girlfriend's hand after 5 years of dating and I kept fighting these ridiculous racist stereotypes."

Note: The wife would look just like Miyata.
He'll conveniently forget to mention that he also dreamed he was hung like a horse. And how everyone knew it.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
I just got 2 onion rings from burger king that fused into a perfect infinity symbol, and I thought of Ippo, so now I'm watching Ippo vs. Sendo 2 :dance:

edit: This has likely been brought up before, but doesn't it seem a bit odd that Takamura isn't $Texas rich after winning multiple world titles?

Frabba fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 15, 2010

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

frabba posted:

I just got 2 onion rings from burger king that fused into a perfect infinity symbol, and I thought of Ippo, so now I'm watching Ippo vs. Sendo 2 :dance:

edit: This has likely been brought up before, but doesn't it seem a bit odd that Takamura isn't $Texas rich after winning multiple world titles?

Not to mention endorsement deals and such, then you consider that he's a world champion in weight classes that you never see Japanese boxers populating. Considering his marketability he'd be rich as hell (though maybe he's just really really cheap).

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I just pretend his antics are enough to scare off any sponsors.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Also he blew a bunch of his money on those Takamura statuettes that the coach made him destroy.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

KittenofDoom posted:

Also he blew a bunch of his money on those Takamura statuettes that the coach made him destroy.

And on that big one on the roof of the gym.

Plus he probably spends a fortune posting bail for groping charges and whatnot.

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 15, 2010

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I've gone back and started reading it all over again from the beginning. I'm up to Ippo Vs Sendo for the title match.

Holy gently caress does the awesome quality of the old chapters piss me off even more about the last-fight-that-shall-not-be-named.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
894 would have been pretty good if it had come something like 4 chapters earlier.

At least Ippo blocked that FINAL DESPERATE HOOK

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Takamura is also a huge rear end in a top hat who gets booed just about every time he enters the ring. He is famous, but the fact that he isn't popular probably limits his endorsement opportunities.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Yes, but would title matches have multi million dollar purses alone. Even if he got no endorsements EVER, he should still be rolling in money.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Takamura is also a huge rear end in a top hat who gets booed just about every time he enters the ring. He is famous, but the fact that he isn't popular probably limits his endorsement opportunities.

Yeah. Too bad he isn't American, where being a loud cocky jackass would have made him the star he deserves to be.

And anyways, the answer is clearly that the writer is too lazy to actually have characters develop and progress.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Chinaman7000 posted:

Yeah. Too bad he isn't American, where being a loud cocky jackass would have made him the star he deserves to be.

And anyways, the answer is clearly that the writer is too lazy to actually have characters develop and progress.

Right. That is all true.

Takamura's world title status could do a lot for the story development. For one thing, it could be a lot less formulaic. Since Takamura should have money and clout, the Ippo gang could easily fly to new locations to train, meet new characters, like up-and-coming, talented World rankers from America/Philippines/insert country here, and have a World title bout in Vegas.

Plus, you have the comedy potential for Takamura acting in commercials/being on TV and acting like a complete pervert/moron, random people approaching him in bars/on the street, etc.
None of that is being tapped into, it's quite a let down.

The focus just isn't on Takamura, it's.. unfortunately, on Ippo. And Ippo is a boring, predictable character, especially right now. I'm sure for Mori, he's the perfect main character.
Mori doesn't have to be creative with Ippo whatsoever. Ippo just follows the same formula for success: train hard, get beat up in the ring, default to "Japanese Fighting Spirit" to win with a comeback punch.

At this point I am barely interested in the manga anymore.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 16, 2010

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I wonder if Morikawa's burning Japanese pride is the reason we've seen next to no overseas fights in the series. The only one I even remember was Miyata vs Jimmy Sisfa.

I'm willing to bed all the world rankers will still end up coming to fight Ippo in Japan.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm mostly interested in Aoki and Kimura's fights now. Their winning or losing isn't predetermined. Naturally, the story of two struggling, aging boxers who continue to follow their dreams even when no one expects anything from them any more is played for comic relief. SAMURAI SPIRIT PUNCHING BAG VS. RACIST CARICATURE is always played totally straight.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

God I wish Mori would go in random directions more, and like, play with characterization. He's actually loving good at it when he does that. The reason the Hawk fight owned was because we FINALLY got to see Takamura, like for real. And how good were the chapters after Miyata called his fight off with Ippo?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Every time I get upset thinking about the Woli bout, I skip back to the very beginning of the fight, where Ippo blitzes Woli, nicks his chin, and he's on the ground.

Woli just stares at Ippo, making a D: face while Ippo does a chest-bump with his fist. That was so badass. What happened :eng99:

As odd as it sounds, it feels like shortly after Mori stopped focusing on/mentioning Sunday Punches, things started going downhill. Sure, it was unrealistic with how they'd focus on SUPER MOOOOVES, but that was when it was in its prime :3: And it's not like removal of them has made this manga more realistic at all.

Geop fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 16, 2010

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

I'm mostly interested in Aoki and Kimura's fights now. Their winning or losing isn't predetermined. Naturally, the story of two struggling, aging boxers who continue to follow their dreams even when no one expects anything from them any more is played for comic relief. SAMURAI SPIRIT PUNCHING BAG VS. RACIST CARICATURE is always played totally straight.

That's something I've been finding weird in the later chapters. Ippo gets more and more freakishly strong, wins more matches, becomes a champ, and it's still YOU'RE THE ULTIMATE UNDERDOG KID YOU'RE THE CHALLENGER EVEN IF YOU ARE DEFENDING YOUR BELT YET AGAIN while Aoki and Kimura are goofy hopeless losers because they lose frequently and don't win every match by knockout.

I mean, the chapters when they actually focused on them were good, but then those were ages ago and it's back to them being beaten up or barely winning off-panel again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ippo hasn't been getting stronger in quite some time. It was better when he was actually acting like a challenger and training in different ways to beat his next opponent. Now they just say he is like a challenger while he trains the same way to prepare for every match.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Ippo will probably challenge the world after this fight so I'm actually rather excited.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

tbp posted:

Ippo will probably challenge the world after this fight so I'm actually rather excited.
Ohohoho.

Ohoho.

Are you being sarcastic? :ohdear: Mori will cock block us on this. He knows that once Ippo "challenges the world", there is some degree of an end in sight. Kamogawa could always just do what he did with Sisfa, Gedo, and Woli and end up side-tracking Ippo because he isn't ready for the world stage. Hell, I thought he was going to do it after the Gedo bout. Seriously, read it as the fight winds down, when Gedo gets serious and Ippo still beats him down. I thought the "third guy" on the cover a few graphic novels back (it was Woli) was a world ranker. NOPE :(

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

tbp posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Forest Fuckery posted:

894 would have been pretty good if it had come something like 4 chapters earlier.

At least Ippo blocked that FINAL DESPERATE HOOK

That was some Bloody Cross poo poo right there, the fight ended with such a whimper Morikawa just said gently caress it and ripped himself off.

Infinitum posted:

I've gone back and started reading it all over again from the beginning. I'm up to Ippo Vs Sendo for the title match.

I did that once a while ago and was basically amazed at how good it used to be. You can see his drawing style develop and by the time he gets to Ippo VS Date he's basically a master of conveying movement and storytelling through pictures. It was after Sendo2 that we hit the endless stream of gimmick fights for our, what, 10 time defending champion now? what the gently caress

tbp posted:

:smuggo:

I Feel Every Flower That is Screaming to Consume You