Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Every real fight has had a gimmick to some degree. The difference is that they used to also be entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ippo Vs Miyata for world title. End the manga.

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine

Infinitum posted:

In round two with them at even points! RAGE CIRCLE COMPLETE

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Infinitum posted:

Eh, how does that even work with the supposed Mexican superman in the picture? He just decides "welp I retire" before Ippo gets around to challenging him?

dag01
Mar 9, 2004
for you to be inside of me is a delightful concept

Fabricated posted:

Eh, how does that even work with the supposed Mexican superman in the picture? He just decides "welp I retire" before Ippo gets around to challenging him?

The finale is going to start like rocky 4 and end like rocky 3.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Fabricated posted:

Miyata beats EL MEXICAN OLE~.
Ippo beats Miyata.
Takamura welcomes Ippo to the awesome club.
Manga ends, sequel comes along as the life of Takamura.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sequel is Hajime no Ippo Z.

Ippitz, Ippo's brother from the Planet Vegepo, arrives to explain that he was sent here to destroy the Earth as a child with his uncharacteristically thick skull.
Ippo's mother recalls that he was a violent as a child until he was circumcised causing him to lose much of his power as well as being deathly afraid of intimacy.

protocultured
Jun 24, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Sequel is Hajime no Ippo Z.

Ippitz, Ippo's brother from the Planet Vegepo, arrives to explain that he was sent here to destroy the Earth as a child with his uncharacteristically thick skull.
Ippo's mother recalls that he was a violent as a child until he was circumcised causing him to lose much of his power as well as being deathly afraid of intimacy.

I would read this.

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

protocultured posted:

I would read this.

We already are.

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine
So the next fight is gonna be Ippo vs a north korean escapee that has the bone structure of a heavyweight, but due to early malnutrition, can never get above featherweight. He fights because winning means he gets to eat.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

BOrangeFury posted:

So the next fight is gonna be Ippo vs a north korean escapee that has the bone structure of a heavyweight, but due to early malnutrition, can never get above featherweight. He fights because winning means he gets to eat.
Holding out for his inevitable bout against a Chinese dude who was a Shaolin monk. I PUNCHED ROCKS DAILY SINCE I WAS FIVE :smuggo:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Geop posted:

Holding out for his inevitable bout against a Chinese dude who was a Shaolin monk. I PUNCHED ROCKS DAILY SINCE I WAS FIVE :smuggo:

He needs new gloves after every practice session because he destroys the padding. Once his coach told him not to worry about replacing the gloves every drat fight, it was a waste of money, and the next official match his knuckles burst out of the glove and shattered his opponent's jaw. He was disqualified for using 'doctored' gloves, and ever since he doesn't trust coaches and cornermen.

Ippo's close relationship with Kamogawa drives the Chinese guy into a furious rage. While he leads early fight and lands stone-shattering blows to Ippo's skull, late fight Kamogawa gives Ippo the perspective he needs to win, while Shaolin boy loses his temper and fights sloppy with no one to help him stay cool. Eternal challenger Ippo wins again~!

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

People talking about Ippo fighting Miyata for world title just made me realise how far this could potentially be dragged out.

Ippo surely has to have the chance to fight Martinez, so potentially it could happen that Ippo fights Martinez, loses, Miyata fights him, wins, then Ippo challenges Miyata at the top of the world.

I wonder if Sendo will also come into play here too though. He's been aiming for the world just now as well, training against Mexicans or whatever.

Seriously though Christ, with that going down, Aoki, Kimura and Itagaki still having fights in the series, Takamura still pursuing his ambition...this series could potentially be dragged out for like another 10 years. Obviously before Ippo challenges Martinez too he's going to be fighting more Western boxers.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

The only world title fight Miyata needs is a REVENGE BOUT versus Mashiba. Seriously. Move him up a weight class after he conquers the one above Ippo's then have him go against him once again. That would be pretty sweet.

Also, VORG-SENDO. REMATCH IS DEMANDED.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I'm not sure how much more I want to see of Mashiba, because every fight he has Morikawa exaggerates the distance his flickers are capable of even more, to the point where eventually he's basically going to be loving punching people from the other side of the ring and we're going to be expected to believe it's the result of intense training.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I'd much rather deal with Stretch Armashiba than I would another Woli :psyduck:

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Mr. Deathy posted:

Seriously though Christ, with that going down, Aoki, Kimura and Itagaki still having fights in the series, Takamura still pursuing his ambition...this series could potentially be dragged out for like another 10 years. Obviously before Ippo challenges Martinez too he's going to be fighting more Western boxers.

The power of black people. CAN IPPO SURPASS IT? ... umm... AGAIN?

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine

Soth posted:

The power of black people. CAN IPPO SURPASS IT? ... umm... AGAIN?

But then it becomes a heartwarming tale of overcoming racisim and stereotyping because the black dude goes in thinking that Ippo is some sort of nuclear kamakazi that's gonna die before giving up.

Or Ippo's monster cock accidentally slips out during a fight and terrifies everyone. That would be fun too.

edit: Then Ippo has to box it!

BOrangeFury fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 19, 2010

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

BOrangeFury posted:

But then it becomes a heartwarming tale of overcoming racisim and stereotyping because the black dude goes in thinking that Ippo is some sort of nuclear kamakazi that's gonna die before giving up.

That's... that's exactly what Ippo is

the moral of that story will be "every racist stereotype is absolutely true"

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine

L.E. Cheetah posted:

the moral of that story will be "every racist stereotype is absolutely true"

Okay, then we'll go to my other idea, Penis Boxing.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Everything is going badly but kamagowa is firm in his stance, "Never interrupt Penis fights."

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

Everything is going badly but kamagowa is firm in his stance, "Never interrupt Penis fights."
FOUL ON CHALLENGER IPPO: HEADING

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Re-reading the first chapters confuses me so much. There are like, 25 extras at the Kamagowa gym and Takamura is ranked 5th in Japan? Huh?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He was ranked 5th because it was hard finding matches as a heavyweight and the champ at that time didn't want to fight him. Still better than now, considering that Takamura has forgotten how to box.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

He was ranked 5th because it was hard finding matches as a heavyweight and the champ at that time didn't want to fight him. Still better than now, considering that Takamura has forgotten how to box.

He wasn't a heavyweight then.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He wasn't a heavyweight then.

Whatever his weight class was at the time then. There are like a dozen weight classes and Takamura has gone through like 5 of them.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Serious Frolicking posted:

Whatever his weight class was at the time then. There are like a dozen weight classes and Takamura has gone through like 5 of them.

He's not a heavy weight now??

Well, he's supposed to be (his natural weight class) but I don't think he's gotten that far yet, right?

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

He's not a heavy weight now??

Well, he's supposed to be (his natural weight class) but I don't think he's gotten that far yet, right?

He's holding the world titles for middleweight and junior middleweight. Or, well, he relinquished the junior middleweight to move up a class, I think. So yeah, you're right.

Takamura was ranked 5th back then because he had just won the rookie king right before he met Ippo

L.E. Cheetah fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 21, 2010

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

L.E. Cheetah posted:

He's holding the world titles for middleweight and junior middleweight. Or, well, he relinquished the junior middleweight to move up a class, I think. So yeah, you're right.

Takamura was ranked 5th back then because he had just won the rookie king right before he met Ippo

Did he take the Japanese title on-screen? I don't even remember.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
He did in the Anime.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I'm pretty sure he did in the manga too.

Kave
Dec 29, 2008

Fancy sweater vests for all!
Yeah he did, I think Ippo was still in the rookie kings.

All I remember from it was Ippo had a bloody mouth and was screaming and getting blood everywhere. And his yells somehow woke Takamura up from the shock of being downed.

edit: Chapter 51

Kave fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 23, 2010

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I love re-reading through this Manga. Lallapalooza, the Post WWII flashback, watching Miyata's struggle, the Hawk fight.. so many good moment.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
You forgot Aoki's fight, which is the best in any series ever :colbert:

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

KittenofDoom posted:

You forgot Aoki's fight, which is the best in any series ever :colbert:

By far the Look-Away is the best thing I've ever seen, the insanely serious look on his face completes it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Raws out.

Holy gently caress everyone looks so thin. What the gently caress is going on with this manga, I don't even know.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah, consists of Aokimura & Itagaki looking smug before Takamura kicks the crap out of them. They were probably going something like GUESS BEING A GENIUS DOESN'T MATTER :buddy: and it pissed him off I guess :v:

Then there's some conversation that Miguel and Kamogawa have, that gets cut off with a CONTINUED NEXT TIME. Curious what being discussed on those last few pages. The face-shot on the last page of Miguel leads me to think that it could be something interesting :v:

And the Look-Away is AWESOME. I love how you saw the whole crowd do the same thing. Freaking genius :3:

Reminds me of a game that US troops played in China following WW2. This was a recurring prank, but they would get some random trooper to stare up at the sky with this incredibly surprised look on his face. Someone would walk by, see them doing that, and they'd stop and do the same. Given the language barrier, I'm sure they couldn't solve it by "what're you looking at?" This was done quite often, and there were cases of hilariously large amounts of people being fooled by it. It gives me a chuckle to think about a massive crowd of people just staring at the sky, wondering what the deal is.

Geop fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 25, 2010

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Raws out.

Holy gently caress everyone looks so thin. What the gently caress is going on with this manga, I don't even know.

Occasionally Morikawa remembers that Ippo and his opponents are fighting in the featherweight class and stops drawing them as being buff.

The only way Ippo could look as buff as he does and still be featherweight is if he's like 5 feet tall.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Ytlaya posted:

Occasionally Morikawa remembers that Ippo and his opponents are fighting in the featherweight class and stops drawing them as being buff.

The only way Ippo could look as buff as he does and still be featherweight is if he's like 5 feet tall.

Click here for the full 424x665 image.

Maybe not as huge as they were during Ippo V Sendo 2 but it'd be great to see him move away from twigppo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Maybe not as huge as they were during Ippo V Sendo 2 but it'd be great to see him move away from twigppo.

Well, yeah, those guys are pretty buff but you seem to forget that Ippo has a 2 Kilo monster penis that is dead-weight (except for the Miyata fight)