Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Ericadia posted:

Trust me I've had my phone set up to alert me whenever the words "air compressor" are used in craigslist ads in my areas. So far mostly pancake compressors. All the verticals have looked like poo poo or have been way too expensive. I guess I am just starting to get discouraged and am compromising.

After ctrl+fing through about 40 pages of this thread though, I am convinced that I will be unhappy with anything below 60 gallons (thanks sharkytm, catbus, oxbrain and others for all the advice given in this thread). And so, here's my plan: I'm going to bunker down and save my money until the right compressor shows up. In the mean time I am going to work on getting 240v to my garage (don't think housemates would appreciate me rewiring the hot tub breaker for my air compressor).

Huge mistake averted this time, thanks guys.

My first compressor was a Craftsman "5HP" (1.5HP) 120v, 33 gallon, oilless. I bought it on sale at Sears for $350. God it was awful. Loud, underpowered, and not very portable. I sold it for $200 on CL, and bought my CH for $599 at Lowes on clearance. Its completely non-portable, but with a 50' air line, and a 50' reel, I can reach anything I need to (including my basement to run my framing nailer). Its about the same noise level, but it puts out ~15CFM at 90psi, as opposed to the CMan, which put out 5CFM. That means it runs for way less time, and the 80 gallon tank means it can run a grinder or my small sandblaster for a few minutes without cycling on again.

As for power, you COULD branch off the hot tub circuit, if its available. You just wouldn't be able to run both at the same time. I have mine wired directly to my garage circuit box, thank god the PO put it in. You could also check the industrial auctions in your area, I check http://irsauctions.com/ regularly. I've seen 5HP Speedaires go for $300. There just isn't much in the Northeast near me, so I bought new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City17
Dec 3, 2006

Ericadia posted:

I'm going to bunker down and save my money until the right compressor shows up.

I own the one you were considering and you are making the right choice. I bought that compressor at a Sears outlet for $250 and sold my old similar sized oil-less compressor on CL for $150. So the net of $100 out of pocket made it a great compressor for me simply because of the noise factor. The oiled compressor you can't even hear in the house, which makes my wife happy too, she hated the old oil-less compressor as much as I did.

If I am ever buying a compressor again with the intention of using for anything productive, it will be a gigantic 60 or 80 gallon model.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Ericadia posted:

All the verticals have looked like poo poo or have been way too expensive.

Look like poo poo doesn't always mean bad. If it's cheap enough, and you don't mind doing repairs, it might still be worth while. Get the model# and see what the original specs were, call the mfg and find out what replacement parts are available. Some companies carry everything, down to replacement connecting rods, for all of their pumps going back 20-30 years. The only real killers are if the tank is dented or massively rusted, everything else can be replaced.

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.

oxbrain posted:

Look like poo poo doesn't always mean bad. If it's cheap enough, and you don't mind doing repairs, it might still be worth while. Get the model# and see what the original specs were, call the mfg and find out what replacement parts are available. Some companies carry everything, down to replacement connecting rods, for all of their pumps going back 20-30 years. The only real killers are if the tank is dented or massively rusted, everything else can be replaced.

I bought a 60gal 5 horse Ingersoll Rand with a t30 pump on it. 14.7cfm @ 175psi. Not terrible in the noise department, and laughs at air tools. The pump head is rebuild-able.
I picked it up for 600 bucks on craigslist, it was 70 miles out of town... nobody was willing to drive to look at it. I lucked out with a great deal, but the same compressor with a 5/7.5 3phase motor shows up all the time on craigslist. Talk yourself a deal and then buy a 5 horse single phase. Easy swap, for a hell of a compressor.
They are out there, don't be in a hurry to buy one, and always have cash. I had been seriously looking for a compressor for about a month when I got this one. When you go look fire it up, and watch it build pressure. Listen for unhappy noises. Drain the tank, see if the water comes out rusty. Research a little to see how much it costs to rebuild anything that may need it. and then make a reasonable offer to the guy.

Also, I see 60-80 gal vert tanks without motor/pumps on the list all the time. under 200 bucks usually.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Is there a recommendation for high quality electrical tape? Generally, need to use it for wrapping wiring harnesses, plus other odds and ends.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Z3n posted:

Is there a recommendation for high quality electrical tape? Generally, need to use it for wrapping wiring harnesses, plus other odds and ends.

Whenever I can't use heatShrink, I use 3M tape, and if it's bundling together a bunch of harneses, I use something like Silicon tape [Brand Rescue tape]. That silicon stuff is neat since you can use it to fix hydraulic leaks and coolant leaks in some cases since it can withstand high temperatures and pressures.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Whatever electrical tape is UL listed. UL listed electrical tape wont catch fire.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Black chrome tools suck in a production environment because they don't stand out and are more easily left in cars.

I got a HF ball joint popper and it is pretty awesome.

The HF aluminum jack is pretty awesome.

I like 3M electrical tape because it doesn't get all gummy and gross. Also, it is easy to get unstuck from the roll when you need a new piece.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Its also UL listed and available locally.

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009
And when you remove the tape later on you know right where to apply new tape because it leaves black sticky residue for your convenience.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I figure this is as good a place as any to ask.
Just curious, not having problems just always wondered this.

How does a portable gas generator, old-fashioned non-inverter style maintain 3600 rpm? I've never had one apart but I can see a little tie-rod looking thing open the throttle up if I plug in a heater or something high wattage. Is there like active electronics and solenoid or servo or something in there managing that? Surely it's something simpler than that, but how?

The carb looks like a normal lawnmower/gokart type with that little tie-rod going between it and some box, what's in the box? what's in the box?

It seems like it doesn't even miss one 3600 rpm beat if you switch on a heater or something. The exhaust note changes from more throttle but it amazes me and makes me wonder how it can be that good.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 14, 2010

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Wagonburner posted:

I figure this is as good a place as any to ask.
Just curious, not having problems just always wondered this.

How does a portable gas generator, old-fashioned non-inverter style maintain the 3600 rpm? I've never had one apart but I can see a little tie-rod looking thing open the throttle up if I plug in a heater or something high wattage. Is there like active electronics or something in there managing that? Surely it's something simpler than that, but how?

The carb looks like a normal lawnmower/gokart type with that little tie-rod going between it and some box, what's in the box? what's in the box?
Mechanical governor. Pretty simple, really. Voltage and frequency regulation is rather poor on small gens, though. I've got a 3500 Watt gen I use on my house during power failures. It's plenty for all the lights, TVs, computers, etc, in my house, but not the AC or water heater. I actually need to run around and turn on every light in the house to load it down to 120V, or it'll put out 128V. We ran the stove on it once, and it was interesting. Each electric element on my range is around 1800W, and they use on/off switching to maintain temperature (I just used one). I could hear the difference when it switched on/off and see the lights in the house dim/brighten- the meter in the wall told the tale, as voltage went from 125V when it was off to 110V when it was on.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

quote:

The governor usually consists of a gear and fly weights pushing against a spindle and shaft.

Awesome. I guess it's almost like the spinny-ball governor thing that turns on the emergency brakes on a falling elevator.

I hate it when I'm wondering about something and can't figure out what to type into google, you guys are speedy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My neighbor just threw out her cheating husband and announced she was giving all of his poo poo away. I scored 3 rubbermaid bins full of random stuff, haven't even had time to look through it yet.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
So I need to do a compression test on my motorcycle in the near future. Any recommendations on what to buy? I see this at Harbor Freight, but it only comes with 14 mm and 18 mm adapters. I need a 12 mm.

Alternately, is this something I'd be able to rent from an auto parts store?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uthor posted:

So I need to do a compression test on my motorcycle in the near future. Any recommendations on what to buy? I see this at Harbor Freight, but it only comes with 14 mm and 18 mm adapters. I need a 12 mm.

Alternately, is this something I'd be able to rent from an auto parts store?

Autozone rents them but it's a nice tool to own. I think the AZ only has 2 size fittings though, same as the HF one.

I don't think they rent this one out but it has 12mm
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...randName=Actron

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
A compression tester is a pretty good tool to have around.

I have this set: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947089000P

MightyVac has an identical kit for about the same price: http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-5530-Professional-Compression-Tester/dp/B0002WSC0G

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rhyno posted:

Autozone rents them but it's a nice tool to own. I think the AZ only has 2 size fittings though, same as the HF one.

I don't think they rent this one out but it has 12mm
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...randName=Actron

$40 ain't bad. I looked at Bike Bandit because I was there for other things and they only had a $100 set, so I was worried it'd be that much.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Ericadia posted:

A compression tester is a pretty good tool to have around.

I have this set: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947089000P

MightyVac has an identical kit for about the same price: http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-5530-Professional-Compression-Tester/dp/B0002WSC0G

I bought that MightyVac one a couple months ago, lots of adapters and very easy to use.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've got the craftsman compression kit as well, it's pretty nice even compared to the OTC one we have at school. Rubber cover on the gauge itself, which protects it if you drop it, and makes it easy to wedge somewhere so you can see it while cranking the car. Looks like the Mityvac one is probably made by the same manufacturer, just with a different name stamped on it.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I bought a Harbor Freight AC Manifold Gauge Set yesterday. When I needed one previously I paid the $100 deposit to borrow one from Autozone.

The AZ Loan-A-Tool gauge set had a fitting on the end of the yellow hose to puncture a new can of refrigerant. The HF set does not. Was that supposed to be included or is that something I need to go buy separately?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

PBCrunch posted:

I bought a Harbor Freight AC Manifold Gauge Set yesterday. When I needed one previously I paid the $100 deposit to borrow one from Autozone.

The AZ Loan-A-Tool gauge set had a fitting on the end of the yellow hose to puncture a new can of refrigerant. The HF set does not. Was that supposed to be included or is that something I need to go buy separately?

How would you fill it if the hose doesn't have the puncture thing built in? It's not like you can just puncture the can and then screw it on. My guess is that it should have it. Swing back by there and see if the others have it.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Mine didnt have one you need to buy one. Dont buy the one that Advanced Auto sells. Mine wouldnt seal worth poo poo. Very frustrating.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I'm looking for a low-profile transmission jack, and hoping to spend around $200 max. I'm looking for one with a starting platform height as low as possible (the ones I've seen so far seem to be about 5" - 7"), and at least 1200lb capacity. I'm probably going to end up dropping the huge slushbox in the BMW with it, so I'd like a lot of reserve capacity. I've found one that fits the bill here, but after I ordered it, they sent me an email saying that it was backordered until appx June 8. I'd rather not wait nearly a month to get it.

I've found a couple others online that have come close, but rejected them for different reasons - this one sits too high and isn't as heavy-duty as I'd like, and this one is a bit more than I wanted to spend and heavy as poo poo (145 lbs).

I have since looked (online) at Harbor Freight, Sears, Pep Boys, Autozone, Advance, Northern Tool, Amazon, Ace, Ebay, and Craigslist with nothing comparable coming up at that price point. HF had one in their catalog for $180 that would have worked (item #91020), but seem to have deleted it from their site. :argh: Right now I'm leaning towards either getting the heavy rear end HF one, or waiting out the first one I posted. Are there any other tool retailers I'm missing that might have something like this?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Does anyone have a Creader harbor freight code reader?

they're probably discontinued and replaced with something better by now, I bought mine about 3 years ago.

It shows some weird codes every once in a while and I don't know WTF.
I have a constant check engine light due to removing some stuff from my truck so I plug in this thing every once in a while looking for new codes. Sometimes it will give me the 2 codes I expect and then it says:
Ed01

It doesn't display a P or B before anything just the #s, (not displaying the letter is normal operation, I think this thing is supposed to only display the # for P codes) but alldata doesn't show any P or B, C, U or other codes anything like those 3.

Another weird thing is if I unplug it and plug it back in those 3 mystery codes aren't there anymore, just my 2 normal codes.

It should not have cleared those out because a. it didn't clear my 2 normal ones (these would take half a day to come back after being cleared) and b. it doesn't have a button or anything to clear codes, to clear codes with this you have to leave it plugged in for about 5 minutes and after it displays each code 20 times it will have cleared them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 19, 2010

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
oops double post

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I bought the Harbor Freight 1/2" corded impact wrench:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-electric-impact-wrench-45252.html

And it is absolutely useless. It couldn't break free the bolts for my rear struts, and it couldn't loosen the bolts on my exhaust, even after copious amounts of PB blaster so I'm going to try and take it back. I found it was easier just to use my breaker bar and some elbow grease.

Am I using it wrong? I think a wiser financial decision would be to just save up and buy an air compressor and assorted air tools.

Valkyn
Jun 6, 2004

Have you seen this camwhore before?

frozenphil posted:

How would you fill it if the hose doesn't have the puncture thing built in? It's not like you can just puncture the can and then screw it on. My guess is that it should have it. Swing back by there and see if the others have it.

The manifold sets are meant to be used with the big 30# cans of refrigerant like dealers use.

If you want to be able to puncture the cans you probably need some sort of adapter.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Have you guys seen the new Snap-On 17mm?

But seriously, since we've had some crimp tool talk, anyone know of a decent crimper for Tyco/AMP connectors that won't break my balls in price?

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 20, 2010

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Do you mean a regular pin and socket connector and you need to crimp the contacts? What wire barrel sizes?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Have you guys seen the new Snap-On 17mm?

More like Snap-Off

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

RealKyleH posted:

Do you mean a regular pin and socket connector and you need to crimp the contacts? What wire barrel sizes?

20-16 awg

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

More like Snap-Off

I think his problem was that he was using a 7mm.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Aeka 2.0 posted:

20-16 awg
I am assuming youre not doing a good number of these or youre doing a variety. I am suggesting the cheapest option. There's probably better options. This will get you 4-indent crimping with milspec tools for ~$120 though. The best option for value if youre doing a good number of similar contacts is a new frame bought on eBay then having us putting the positioner(s) you need into a proper head. We may already have the positioners developed and its just a matter of sticking them in a head for you.

This is going to sound like I'm pushing the company I work for but really I'm not. I have no good incentive to do so and Google can back up what I am saying below.

If you have the contact part numbers I can look up in our xref whether we have a turret head with those positioners in them. You can probably get away with using a universal head for way cheaper though.

Ive seen Daniels/DMC AF8s used on eBay go for like $35 shipped. Watch it a bit. That's a retardedly good deal as the tool frame alone is $243 new and unless they beat the poo poo out of it crimping stainless steel no way they used it past its life cycle. The Daniels AF8 is an M22520/1-01. There are two companies qualified to make that tool: DMC and Astro. either are quality tools but the Astro makes use of a pretty different frame and though both are functionally equivalent the DMC AF8 is better to use.

You need turrets for either tool, and they are interchangeable. I.E. an Astro head will fit the AF8 and vise versa. They have universal heads for them, DMC part number UH2-5 and milspec number M22520/1-05.

The thing on the right with the knurled knob is the universal head. You use the screw to set the height of the contact and then the wire gauge sizes are on the knob.

Heres what you need for pretty drat cheap on buy it now. Watching auctions you can probably save another good $20.

DMC M22520/1-01 Tool frame:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DMC-DANIELS-AF8...=item2a073c7226

Astro M22520/1-05 Universal head:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ASTRO-TOOL-CORP...=item5631a75da1

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

MetaJew posted:

I think his problem was that he was using a 7mm.

*17*mm, it broke where the "1" was stamped in

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Crosspost from the BMW thread:

Well, I was finally going to replace my diff fluid last night, only to find out my 14mm hex socket is *way* too long to fit between the spare tire well and the fill plug.

Anybody know where I can get a cheap 14mm allen key? I know Sears has one, but it's like $18 just for the one. I didn't see anything on Harbor Freight's website.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

RealKyleH posted:

I am assuming youre not doing a good number of these or youre doing a variety. I am suggesting the cheapest option. There's probably better options. This will get you 4-indent crimping with milspec tools for ~$120 though. The best option for value if youre doing a good number of similar contacts is a new frame bought on eBay then having us putting the positioner(s) you need into a proper head. We may already have the positioners developed and its just a matter of sticking them in a head for you.

This is going to sound like I'm pushing the company I work for but really I'm not. I have no good incentive to do so and Google can back up what I am saying below.

If you have the contact part numbers I can look up in our xref whether we have a turret head with those positioners in them. You can probably get away with using a universal head for way cheaper though.

Ive seen Daniels/DMC AF8s used on eBay go for like $35 shipped. Watch it a bit. That's a retardedly good deal as the tool frame alone is $243 new and unless they beat the poo poo out of it crimping stainless steel no way they used it past its life cycle. The Daniels AF8 is an M22520/1-01. There are two companies qualified to make that tool: DMC and Astro. either are quality tools but the Astro makes use of a pretty different frame and though both are functionally equivalent the DMC AF8 is better to use.

You need turrets for either tool, and they are interchangeable. I.E. an Astro head will fit the AF8 and vise versa. They have universal heads for them, DMC part number UH2-5 and milspec number M22520/1-05.

The thing on the right with the knurled knob is the universal head. You use the screw to set the height of the contact and then the wire gauge sizes are on the knob.

Heres what you need for pretty drat cheap on buy it now. Watching auctions you can probably save another good $20.

DMC M22520/1-01 Tool frame:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DMC-DANIELS-AF8...=item2a073c7226

Astro M22520/1-05 Universal head:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ASTRO-TOOL-CORP...=item5631a75da1

this is good stuff, I'm using pin 171662-5

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Aeka 2.0 posted:

this is good stuff, I'm using pin 171662-5

IIf youre just using one contact you can use a TP head that just has one positioner and is much cheaper.

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 20, 2010

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

CornHolio posted:

Crosspost from the BMW thread:

Well, I was finally going to replace my diff fluid last night, only to find out my 14mm hex socket is *way* too long to fit between the spare tire well and the fill plug.

Anybody know where I can get a cheap 14mm allen key? I know Sears has one, but it's like $18 just for the one. I didn't see anything on Harbor Freight's website.
I bought a set of allen (hexagon) "sockets" at HF. It included 14mm, which was the size I needed to separate the spindle from the backing plate on my 1995 Lexus SC400.

They weren't the whole L-shaped allen wrenches, just a set of socket-like tools that fit onto a 1/2" drive ratchet or impact gun or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

PBCrunch posted:

I bought a set of allen (hexagon) "sockets" at HF. It included 14mm, which was the size I needed to separate the spindle from the backing plate on my 1995 Lexus SC400.

They weren't the whole L-shaped allen wrenches, just a set of socket-like tools that fit onto a 1/2" drive ratchet or impact gun or whatever.

I bought a set at autozone that were this, but the problem is for whatever reason they're like three inches long. I can't get the socket itself where I need to, let alone the socket and a ratchet.

I'd love to grind it down but I don't have the means.