Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
Doesn't look bad tendrils.

Try giving them a black wash, it will settle in the crevices and make them look deeper.

Also, you may want to highlight the high spots with lighter colors.

EDIT: btw Here is my first ever model:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/Uriel_1018/ironclad2.jpg

Man I really overdid it with the metal...

Jarofmoldymayo fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Put a wash of Devlan Mud over the whole thing, then some black wash into the deeper parts, and it will look sweet.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Holy poo poo! I'm going to Blick tomorrow.

E: So does it make the under color super shiny and rainbow like or is it literally a rainbow in a bottle?

crime fighting hog fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 18, 2010

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008

Sole.Sushi posted:

Put a wash of Devlan Mud over the whole thing, then some black wash into the deeper parts, and it will look sweet.

Yeah you'd be surprised what a good inking can do to a model.

Actually I've inked that guy up there, he looks pretty good now, though not as good as my thunderhead....

Gosh I love my thunderhead.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/Uriel_1018/thfront.jpg

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

crime fighting hog posted:

how the gently caress do I do that on a goddamn trygon you psychopath

Just paint it NMM style using micro spectrum changes to give the effect of rainbow on liquid. Jeez it's not that hard.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Tentacle Party posted:

Just paint it NMM style using micro spectrum changes to give the effect of rainbow on liquid. Jeez it's not that hard.

You are the best thing since sliced bread.
Really, it speaks a great deal of our society that we topped out at sliced bread, but hey.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Holy poo poo! I'm going to Blick tomorrow.

E: So does it make the under color super shiny and rainbow like or is it literally a rainbow in a bottle?

It creates an interference layer over your undercoat that shimmers when the light hits it at certain angles. On curved surfaces this means that at least one point will have a highlight. The effect is different when used over complementary colors.

I've only got the interference violet. Used it to do highlighting on the force weapons for my green knights. It's not something that comes across as well in still photos as it does in real life because most of the effect comes from the changing angles of light.:

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
Cross postin' from 40k hams thread.

Click here for the full 1007x661 image.

Click here for the full 1109x734 image.

Click here for the full 515x639 image.

Probably needs to be a bit thinner on the paints, but I built up from Red Gore as opposed to Tausept Ochre.

What do you guys think?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I think he'll serve as inspiration for when I paint my exarch.

Timefortea
May 21, 2007

Finally, a fetish for everything!
Progress has been made on my :11tea: BAngels army!

Pics incoming! Apologies for the horrific camera.

Sanguinary Guard Ahoy!

A close-up on aformentioned.

IMO, this pose is the radd-est in the box.

Oh yeah, terminator squad.

What's that? Forge World shoulder pads, that's what - none of them fit very well on assembly :psyduck:.

And... a WIP LeMartes that I'll update as I do more to him.

poo poo camera, but there's 5 layers to that bone, from khemeri to bleached.

Same blending on this shot.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I think he'll serve as inspiration for when I paint my exarch.

You're doing Eldar now?

It's like an infection of awesome around here, lately.

floatman
Mar 17, 2009

Timefortea posted:

Progress has been made on my :11tea: BAngels army!

Pics incoming! Apologies for the horrific camera.

Timefortea,

I have heard that the Sanguinary guard have molded blood drops on the soles of their feet. Is it true, and can I trouble you to provide a picture please?

Timefortea
May 21, 2007

floatman posted:

Timefortea,

I have heard that the Sanguinary guard have molded blood drops on the soles of their feet. Is it true, and can I trouble you to provide a picture please?

Yes, they do - its in the tread, right in the middle. I didn't do anything special with it, may not have even shaded them heh.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
How did you do the bone? It looks good in the pictures.

Termies are looking good, are you doing anything else to them?

Also;

Click here for the full 1702x492 image.

Squad done :3:

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Oooh they look purdy

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

From here, where there is other cool poo poo.

Timefortea
May 21, 2007

Red Herring posted:

How did you do the bone? It looks good in the pictures.

Termies are looking good, are you doing anything else to them?

Um, bone was:

Khemeri
Khemeri/Bleached bone 1:1
Bleached bone
Devlan Mud
Bleached bone

Terminators will be based like the sang guard, but other than that, nothing else to do. On second thoughts i shouldn't have posted them sans base-completion.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
So i bought my first every pack of Green Stuff on sunday.

Used it to fill in some gaps on a custom base i'm making for my bolt thrower, and then to fill in the inch wide gaps in the wing joints of a WE warhawk rider.

My gf also asked if i could make the rider look more female to match the characters in the book "Guardian of the forest", some princess or something or other, so just 2 days in, there i was making green stuff boobs for little plastic men... i feel so doc thunder!

But i digress... i'm not too bad at general shaping and details, but i always have trouble initially getting the stuff to stick to the model / base that i'm trying to apply it to. should i dry it out a bit and just roughly put it where i want it before applying a bit of water to manipulate it into the shape i want or is there some other trick to it?

azwethinkweizm
Jul 20, 2008

Click here for the full 1000x1333 image.

My effort to reconstitute normal standing legs into running legs for a flying model.
Is this crap or not bad?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Timefortea posted:

What's that? Forge World shoulder pads, that's what - none of them fit very well on assembly :psyduck:.

Does his shoulderpad say Bangbus?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Silhouette posted:

Does his shoulderpad say Bangbus?

Pretty sure it's "Sanguis."

Fyrbrand posted:

holy gently caress

Holy gently caress.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Red Herring posted:

Those helmets are ace.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

azwethinkweizm posted:

Click here for the full 1000x1333 image.

My effort to reconstitute normal standing legs into running legs for a flying model.
Is this crap or not bad?

I am certainly no judge, but it looks like the beginnings of the "pee pee dance"

Can you move the center of gravity forwards at all?
Bent the right (straighter) knee?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Maybe consider raising the whole thing off the base with one of those clear rod things and make both of the legs a bit more extreme, so it's way more obvious that he's flying.

Right now it just kind of looks like you're going to put something under his raised leg for his foot to rest on.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Going paint shopping tomorrow after work, I need a good brass recipe & a good rich red, not P3 paints. Any suggestions?

Also, is there a Vallejo paint similar to Charadon granite?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Jetfire posted:

Pretty sure it's "Sanguis."

YOU DON'T SAY

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Cakefool posted:

I need a ... good rich red
Ooh, ooh, I know one!

quote:

not P3 paints.
Oh. I don't know, then. :(

vvv that's the one I was going to suggest. I very much like the color and its coverage over black.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 18, 2010

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Cakefool posted:

Going paint shopping tomorrow after work, I need a good brass recipe & a good rich red, not P3 paints. Any suggestions?

Also, is there a Vallejo paint similar to Charadon granite?

I have a spare pot of P3's skorne red (the very same one PV pimps to us, it's seriously lush) because I got an extra free when I ordered a pot from the internets ages back. Let me know your address and I'll pop it in the post as soon as poss for you.

Other than that, I love VMC reds... for a darker red base there's burnt cadmium red and for a seriously darker red base, black red.

the self explanatory 'dark red' and 'red' do the job quite well for decent solid looking reds (once you've put 10 coats on over a black undercoat that is)

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

dpack_1 posted:

But i digress... i'm not too bad at general shaping and details, but i always have trouble initially getting the stuff to stick to the model / base that i'm trying to apply it to. should i dry it out a bit and just roughly put it where i want it before applying a bit of water to manipulate it into the shape i want or is there some other trick to it?

Take a hobby knife and score the surface that you are affixing your green stuff titties to. Gives it more surface area and thus better grip.

Cakefool posted:

I need a good brass recipe... not P3 paints. Any suggestions?

Well, I haven't tried this, but: boltgun metal, mud, highlight with chainmail. Looks pretty good on the bloodletter on the bottom right corner, but I would suggest maybe going with the following: Boltgun, mud, highlight chainmail, sepia.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Well I bought some oil paints, but forgot the super shiny stuff. I'll get it next time I'm there. I'm gonna give the oil paints a shot right now though.

I don't have to thin these, do I? I think they're good from the bottle.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Maybe consider raising the whole thing off the base with one of those clear rod things and make both of the legs a bit more extreme, so it's way more obvious that he's flying.

Right now it just kind of looks like you're going to put something under his raised leg for his foot to rest on.

It looks like the model could be descending to the ground. If it's supposed to be taking off, I'd lean the torso forward, and perhaps the whole model too.

I think I've found an insignia for my SM chapter:

Original:

It's an old Roman legion symbol, which ties in to the look I'm going for. What's the best way to print it as decals?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Well I bought some oil paints, but forgot the super shiny stuff. I'll get it next time I'm there. I'm gonna give the oil paints a shot right now though.

I don't have to thin these, do I? I think they're good from the bottle.

No, you don't need to thin them, but two things: One, don't use your Winsor and Newton brushes: use synthetic bristles. Second, a little bit of oil paint goes a long, long way.

MaliciousOnion posted:

What's the best way to print it as decals?

On decal paper, of course.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Sole.Sushi posted:

No, you don't need to thin them, but two things: One, don't use your Winsor and Newton brushes: use synthetic bristles. Second, a little bit of oil paint goes a long, long way.

Oh I bought some sythetic brushes. And I don't have any winsor ones yet. Atlas 4 lyfe.

I tried black to white on a terminator and it came out way better and was so easier than with acrylics. I thinned it just a wee bit with water, which helped it not look so streaky.

I'm gonna give red and orange a try for purity seals and what not now. I'll have pics up sooner or later.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

MaliciousOnion posted:

Original:

It's an old Roman legion symbol, which ties in to the look I'm going for. What's the best way to print it as decals?

You better not be going for a mostly-black overall scheme or else it looks like you're going for Not-Raven Guard :buddy:

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax
yeah the original color scheme is pretty sweet.

even as a color logo on black and white marines it would look amazing.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Red Herring posted:

Hot drat, I like these.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

bhsman posted:

You better not be going for a mostly-black overall scheme or else it looks like you're going for Not-Raven Guard :buddy:

My colour scheme is dark red with white shoulders, so I didn't want to have a red insignia too.

Sole.Sushi posted:

On decal paper, of course.

I was more wondering if there's certain brands to use/avoid or other things I should know.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

MaliciousOnion posted:

My colour scheme is dark red with white shoulders, so I didn't want to have a red insignia too.

You have chosen...wisely.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

MaliciousOnion posted:

It looks like the model could be descending to the ground. If it's supposed to be taking off, I'd lean the torso forward, and perhaps the whole model too.

Original:

You know you want to freehand those, don't you.

Okay now you have an insignia, what about chapter name? And commander?

Legio Romanusborn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax
the roadkill birds

I can't unsee it

• Locked thread